CEBU'S GOVERNOR GWEN GARCIA BUCKLES DOWN TO WORK
MANILA, October 7, 2004 (STAR) C‘EST CEBU By Honey Jarque Loop - Concerned and committed, driven and dedicated: These words are often used to describe the first-ever woman governor of the Province of Cebu, and we could not agree more.
Four months into the islands’ premier provincial post, Gwendolyn Garcia is slowly but surely establishing a hard- earned reputation as a no-nonsense, hands- on public servant.
We distinctly recall her direct-to-the-point inaugural address delivered with all sincerity at the impressive Social Hall of the Provincial Capitol, where she laid down her eight priority agenda, some of which I wish to dwell on:
• Women: The administration is committed to have a women’s center that will not only shelter, counsel and grant support services to victims of abuse, but will also grant livelihood and skill training as well as job placement services.
• Education: Upgrade the skills of teachers through the creative use of the special education fund and introduce computer technology in the classrooms.
• Health: Build hospitals and provide health services to indigents and improve existing facilities, equipment and personnel skills to make district hospitals PhilHealth-compliant.
• Infrastructure: Repair and asphalt roads and upgrade outdated timber and bailey bridges.
• Tourism: To create a Cebu Provincial Tourism and Heritage Council that will establish and coordinate plans and programs that promote tourism and preserve her rich heritage.
With the goals firmly set and the wheels progressively a-turning, the lady governor took time off and played host at the culmination of the recent week-long low-key celebration of the 435th founding anniversary of the Province of Cebu to members of the diplomatic corps, captains of trade, commerce and industry, leaders of religious, civic and social circles and other government officials. It was an evening of elegance and appreciation of beauty, as the islands’ top fashion designers presented a mini fashion show that had beautiful Cebuanas sashaying gracefully in intricate ternos, artistically created by Cebuano couturiers Joy Bernaldes, Mario Colmenares, Jude Elardo, Jun Escario, Arcy Gayatin, Oj Hofer, Dino Lloren, Protacio, Marichu Tan, Ditas Rodriguez and Philip Rodriguez.
Let us join hands with Governor Garcia and assist her in any way we can as Cebu embarks on several programs and projects, leading to changes that will surely make Cebuanos proud.
Reported by: Sol Jose Vanzi
© Copyright, 2004 by PHILIPPINE
HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved
PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE