July 1, 2004  By Col.(Ret) Frank B. Quesada, Associate PMA ‘44, Former Senate Committee Secretary, Veterans and Military Pension -  In February 23, l945, during the Liberation Campaign of the Philippines from the iron heels of the Japanese occupation forces, 2,146 emaciated and tortured Americans and allied prisoners-of-war were rescued by in a joint operation by the daring members of the Philippine Military Academy (PMA) also known as the West Point in the Philippines, as wartime-members of the Hunters ROTC Guerrilla. Principal Role in the Assault

The Hunters participated as the lead ground assault force in the liberation of Americans and allied prisoners-or-war detained by the Japanese in Los Banos (Laguna) Internee Camp, at the foot if mystic Mt. Makiling, some 60 miles from Manila, behind enemy lines.

The assault rescue operations was a joint Filipino-American force composed of the U.S. composite force of the U.S. 11th Airborne Division, and the combined units of Filipino guerrillas led by the Hunters-ROTC (PMA) Guerrilla.

The rest of the guerrilla forces were: the Marking’s Fil-American Troops, the Andersom’s USAFFE Bonn Military Area unit, the Pres. M. Quezon’s Own Guerrilla, the Fil-Chinese 48th Squadron unit, and the Filipino Communist “Hukbalahap” unit.

They all set-aside their internecine conflicts and jealousies to fight just one common enemy – the abusive Japanese invaders.

This liberation operation was described by military experts as one of the almost perfect assault-rescue ever attempted during wartime (in world War II) in the Philippines. It has become a model in the War College nd Staff Schools.

Ovation Paid by Gen. C. Powell

To quote Gen. Colin Powell, as former U.S. Joint Chief of Staff Commander, after learning about the notable rescue operation said:

“I doubt that any airborne and guerrilla unit in the world will ever be able to rival the Los Banos raid. It is a textbook operation for all ages and all armies.”

PMAyer’s Graduation in Battle

Philippine Military Academy cadet Class ’44 literally graduated in the battlefield, so to speak. They fought in World War II in an unconventional and irregular warfare against an obdurate enemy who were veterans of the infamous China Campaign noted for their barbarity.

The PMAyers, along with ROTC cadets stuck together and did not want to take defeat from an invading enemy, they – organized one of the most formidable guerrilla resistance movement in Luzon that defied the enemy manhunt from 1942 to 1945. It was originally led by cadet Miguel Ver (PMA’43), by Eleuterio Adevoso (PMA ’44), and Gustavo Ingle (PMA ’45). The rest were crack rifle platoons of the Reserve Officer Training School (ROTC) coming from different universities in Manila.

These PMAyers were all sent to the United States Staff Schools, after the war before formally serving the Armed Forces of the Philippines post-World War II. Class ’44 was a noted Academy class that produced many Generals and Flag Officers. It was the most cohesive since their cadetship before the war (World War II) up to peacetime 1945 and thereafter.

PMA Hunters ROTC Guerrilla

In summer of 1942, they readily organized the Hunter-ROTC Guerrilla and took off for the hills of the vastness of Sierra Madre Mountain [ in Rizal Province], where they trained and learned the art of “beg-borrow and steal” irregular and un-coventional warfare - and “hit-and-run” raids against the enemy. They inflicted heavy damage and casualties upon the enemy occupation troops, but with minimum losses on their part. The Hunters were the most wanted by the Japanese Imperial occupation troops.

Armed with outmoded 1903 bolt-action rifles, foraged ammunition and a handful of rice, and a prayer - they expertly routed the enemy in various ambuscades and at death-defying raids. They earned their place in the heroes’ hall of fame through honorable and active military service – as freedom founders.

Established Second Front

The most cohesive, PMA Class ’44, after the enemy vanquished the USAFFE in Bataan in April 9 and Corregidor in May 9, 1942 - situated themselves in strategic towns and provinces in the Philippines. And established small pockets of intelligence nets that supported the mobile combat units. They were the object of hot pursuit by the Japanese Military Police (Kempeu Tai), but resisted the enemy hamletting (dragnet zonings) by the enemy forces. Some of then were caught inside the enemy dragnets and suffered brutal torture and beatings. A few were executed.

The first casualty was Cavalier Mike Ver, killed-in-action - in a skirmish against an overwhelming enemy force in July 4,1942 in the training camp at the Sierra Madre mountain. They were raided by the enemy, however, but were able to put up a respectable defense which nevertheless was overran n\by overwhelming number. Mike died in action, but after inflicting several casualties upon the surging enemy. He died a traditional PMA hero’s death with mortal wounds on his chest facing the enemy squarely.

Cavalier Eleuterio “Terry” Adevoso, took ove command, and moved the guerrilleros to the inner jungles of the Sierras. He fielded several “mobile strike units” to hound the enemy to avenge Nike’s death. From 12 original Hunters in 1942, grew to 30,000 strong in 1945, and won recognition by the U.S. Army. Its record has been deposited in the U.S.Army Personnel Center In St. Louis Missouri, U.S.A. And they enjoyed same compensation and benefits like any member of the United States armed Force, with the exception of those whose names were deleted from the original roster, as a consequence of travesty of justice and unfairness by the AFWESPAC, that was in a great haste to leave the Philippines.

Post War Careers

Many Hunters eventually secured U.S citizenship by virtue of their honorable and active military service to Uncle Sam. While many of them remained as Filipinos to continue to serve the Armed Forces of the Philippines after completing various Command Staff Schooling in the United States Armed Forces.

Class ’44 have produced several Generals and Flag Officers in Command. Some of them became successful professionals, while others became successful politicians. As of this juncture, out of the total class of 72, there are about half of them still around (2002) engaged in business and civilian careers. Some of their sons followed their profession and have also entered the PMA and are serving the armed services.

The Academy Standard

From 1942 to 1945, the Hunters scored heavily against the Japanese, which drove the enemy to counteract the guerrillas. Enemy established (hamletting zoning dragnets) of towns and villages by rounding up all male residents, imprisoned and tortured them to elicit names and rosters of suspected guerrillas caught in the area.. There were a handful of them caught and executed by the enemy to continue fighting.

Guerrilla Casualties

There were many Hunters caught in this “zona” [this author was one of them.] tortured days and nights. At least, dozen other guerrillas were punished by decapitation [beheaded] in Laguna, where the hamletting took place]. One of the casualties was a white priest [Fr. Francis V. Douglas, of New Zealand, suspected of having contacts with guerrillas. [See the book, Martyrdom of Fr. Douglas by Patricia Brooks. New Zealand]

PMAyers in Paete, Laguna; Cavalier Benitez Roque, Daniel Adea and myself (associate) were all Class ‘44, and Cav. Luis Adea, Class 41. The first three above, were savagely beaten during incarceration, after 8 days in hell, were spared and released, but with broken ribs, broken spine. and wounded - were released, after enduring the worst “beast barracks” (excruciation) of savage agony by a brutal enemy guards. Previous hazing experience at the academy paid off - because they all were able to endure the torture. Many died, however, gloriously like a man with their lips sealed they saved their comrades. .

No Where to Go But Fight

After recuperating from the injuries, we all voluntarily went back to guerrilla duty with a vengeance - to fight for God and Country, freedom, justice and to go for broke, so to speak.

The Hunters had a record of the most formidable resistance movement - owing to stern discipline and tactical training learned from the Academy, whose officers were mostly PMAyers who set the standard to all its members. It was the most feared guerrilla unit by the Japanese troops in the provinces of Southern Luzon. They ambushed the enemy many times and took no Japanese for prisoners. [See Terry’ Hunters book, by E. Adevoso ]

There was a classic record by the Hunters who was able to capture a Japanese EM, that was successfuly brainwashed, who turned around and fought alongside the hunters. ( See; story, Japanese Guerrilla in the Philippines).

Contact with MacArthur in Australia

Sorties were organized to make contact with Gen. D. MacArthur in Australia to secure arms and logistics. Col. Frisco San Juan, also of Class ’44 successfully made contact with sea planetary missions of US submarine landings in Negros Island, of the famed Filipino ace, then Air Force Maj. Jesus Villamor, who landed in the Visayas, and Navy Cmdr. Chick Parsons, a former Manilan sent by NacArthr to infiltrate the Philippines the Hunters therefore received arms , amo and supplies from Australia via U.S submarines.

The planetary parties took back with them valuable intelligence reports from the PMA-Hunters to Australia, and in return they- trips carried radio sets and supplies for the Hunters via US submarines.

War Materiel in exchange for Intelligence

Since then, by late 1943, the Hunters received fresh shipments of radio sets, arms and ammo at Infanta, Quezon and Polilio Islands. In return for these logistics - valuable intelligence were sent to Southwest Pacific Area Command of MacArthur. Maj Gen. Charles A. Willoughby was MacArthur’s G-2 relied heavily on the Hunter’s intel reports, which he said “shortened the liberation of the Philippines.”[See Willoughby’s book,” Guerrilla Resistance Movement in the Philippines, and Return to the Philippine

The Los Banos Daring Raid

The 8th U.S. Army [ XI Corps] commanded by Lt Gen. Robert Eichelberger landed in Nasugbu, Batangas together with the famed US 11th Airborne Division under Maj. Gen. Joseph M. Swing, in January 31, 1945. They were met by the Hunters Guerrilla Regiment of Cavaliers: Col. Juanito Ferrer, Class ’44 and assisted by Col. Eufracio Villanueva, also Class ‘ 44 at the shore of Nasugbu, Batangas with very little resistance from the enemy. Cavalier Adevoso headed the Hunter’s welcoming party – and immediately former a central guerrilla command together with Mja. Gen.Joseph M. Swing, CO of the famed U.S. 11th Airborne Division. They set up headquarters in Nasugbu, Batangas plotted the liberation of Manila from Batangas towards the southern jaw of Manila [ in Pasay, Rizal ]. They named the drive “Pony Express,” way - in a mad rush towards Manila to get there ahead of the U.S 6th Army that landed in Lingayen, Pangasinan. There was a quiet contest between the 11th Airborne and the 1st Cavalry - to capture the capital city.

Guerrilla forces were integrated a into the U.S.liberation troops – which formed a massive assault force against the Japanese holed up in the mountains of Laguna, Batangas and Cavite.

Pony Express to Manila

The Hunters was the spearhead guerrilla unit that pushed from Tagaytay City which oushed towards Paranaque, Rizal under heavy artillery fire from the 15,000 naval forces of Admiral Furuse, who defied the order of Gen. Yamashita to abandon Manila. The rest of the enemy retreated towards the mountains of the Sierras in Rizal and Bulacan provinces, to form the Shimbu defense line. To fight to the last Bushido warrior.

Fierce Fighting

Fierce fighting ensured from Paranaque towards Nichol’s Field pinning down the 11th Airbonre and the Hunters. As a matter of fact, the 11th Airborne lost one of its top officers, Col. Himmelfening, in the drive towards Paranaque. Japanese banzai [suicide sorties] charges took tolls on U.S troops.

So the Hunter’s provided the 11th AB Division headquarters staff of Maj. Gen. Swing - a crack company of well-trained Hunters - called “Gen. Swing’s Own Guard” [GSOG] to protect the General’s staff., led by PMAyer Class ’44, Col. Godofredo Carreon. Maj. Gen. J. W. Swing. CG of the US 11th AB had high respects for these Hunters whom he described in his letter to me, to wit: ‘Those were the finest men of yours that safeguarded me and the general staff. Thank them for me.”

Lt. Gen. Joseph M. Swing retired as 6th Army Commander at the Presidio of San Francisco, and, in civilian life was appointed by his West Point classmate, President Eisenhower, as Commissioner of Immigrations and Naturalization Service, who was responsible for pushing my U.S. citizenship under the 1950 Act, upon my residence in the U.S. In no time, I was re-activated as a full Colonel, General Staff officer (Deputy Chief of Staff of the State Defense Force, U.S. Army National Guard Headquarters in Sacramento, /California

American POWs Impending Massacre As the liberation forces neared Manila, Cav. Gustavo Ingles, PMA Class ’45 was ordered to penetrate inside enemy line to provide intelligence to the General Staff about the prisoners-of-war in Los Banos. I was also tasked to coordinate the various civilian intel-units in Los Banos, Laguna.

We discovered that the enemy had standing orders to massacre all the 2,146 when the U.S forces reache Los Banos. The local quislings (Makapilis) spies were hotly after Ingles and myself in the foothills of the mystic Mount Makiling, in Los Banos where the 2,146 American and Allied prisoners-of-war were incarcerated. We n ever slept in a place twice to evade those spies who had a price for our heads, under orders from the Kempei Tai.

Ingles was tasked by Adevoso as the overall coordinator of the Los Banos liberation operation representing the unified guerrilla participants. It was a very sensitive assignment because the lives of the 2,146 POWs were at great risk if we were discovered by the enemy.

Precise intelligence was the utmost priority in order for the assault-rescue force to execute a masterful plan of rescue drawn by Gen. Swing’s general staff led by the then Col. H. “Butch” Mueller, G-2 and Col. Douglas Quandt. G-3. The whole plan was a product of the careful verification by POW escapees from Los Banos brought by Col. Ingles to the headquarters. The plan was validated by Hunter Col. Middy” Castillo, USNA, Annapolis Class ’35.

The POWs were being maltreated by the enemy guards, and were in the edge of hell, being starved and maltreated owing to the surging liberation forces towards Los Banos. Col. Ingles and I had to work double-time to clear up all the gaps in the assault plan with the guerrillas and U.S 11th AB Scouts assigned with Col. Ingles – as overall coordinator of the raid.

Time Reconnaissance

The liberation of the 2,146 Americans and allied prisoners-of-warm incarcerated in Los Banos, Laguna, took priority action from Gen. MacArthur owing to the reported enemy order to massacre the POWs who were hoping against hope of emancipation.

Both the 11th AB and the Hunters –PMA General staff urgently acted on our radio request for immediate action, by radio message from the guerrilla base of the PQOG [Pres. Quezon’s Own Guerrilla] led by a certain Col. R. Price, who later turned out to be [Col.. Romeo Espino] who would later be Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines 30 years later under the Marcos regime.

Strategic Assignment

Much earlier, Adevoso plucked me out from the 45th Hunters Regiment Combat Force, to personally penetrate the Los Banos POW camp, inside enemy lines. Ingles and I both confirmed the enemy massacre order of the POWs at will by the Garrison Commander. Ingles urgently dispatched the information by radio to Adevoso and Gen. Swing in the joint general US-Guerrilla headquarters near Manila.

Assault and Rescue Order Finally, the order of Joint General Staff came after elaborate preparations [ by Col. D. Quandt [G-3], USMA; and Col. Henry Muller [G-2], with Hunter Marcelo “Middy” Castillo Class’ 35 of USNA, Annapolis, who validated the operational plan. In turn, Col. Adevoso ordered execution thereof by the PMA-Hunters 45th Regiment to execute the assault rescue of Los Banos POWs initially February 23, l945. It was to be an air-se-an-land joint 11thAB-Hunters assault-rescue operation.

Joint Assault-Rescue Operation The 11th AB contingent was ordered to support the guerrilla operation, along with a couple of American war correspondents[ Frank Smith, etc.] who witnessed the whole daring raid. They saw the finest hour of the PMA-Hunters and the U.S. scouts in action during the surprise assault-rescue operation. On D-Day, [Feb. 23, 1945] the Hunters 45th Regiment under command of Hunter Col. Honorio K. Guerrero was deployed around the POW camp. They were to wait for an airborne para-troop company to jump over the camp, as the signal of the overall assault, then later followed by the intrusion of the amphibian tanks of the 672nd Tank BN, that would evacuate the POWs to Muntinlupa, Rizal in amphibian tanks -and ferried across the Laguna de Bay.

The Surprise Attack

The attack was to be carried out at 07:00 HRS by the 23rd. Hunters’ combat forces were deployed around the POW camp the night of the 22nd, while other guerrilla units were to arrive Los Banos early morning of the 23rd abroad sailboats to join the attack. All entries and exit to Los Banos were sealed from any possible enemy break through. Civilian populations were requested to evacuate Los Banos shortly before the assault of the POW camp.

The Final Hour

The Hunters lay. on the ground motionless but wide awake awaiting for the drone of the C-47 airplane Squadron of Col. Anderson at dawn to disgorge the airborne troopers at the para-drop zone outside the POW camp. The February wind was annoyingly chilly, they hugged the ground for warmth, all of them prayed. There indeed were no atheists in the foxholes. We prayed for the POWs’ safety and for myself – about to see the face of the enemy in combat. However, we believed that God was on our side.

The heavy morning mist lazily crawled through the barbed wire fence, blurred shadows of the enemy guards moved about inside the camp preparing for their daily assembly for the morning “radyo taisho” [callisthenics over the radio from Manila) ]. This was their daily routine which Ingles and I have discovered beforehand. We noted the guards stocked arms before callisthenics every morning when we observed them earlier. This was important cue to the planners (G-2 and G-3) to use such prime information. It was part of the surprise attack which totally caught the enemy guards totally off-guard during the lightning assault

Morning of February 23rd

By 06:40 HRS the sound of the planes drew nearer. The men aroused fully from their catnaps - and firmly positioned themselves near the fence facing the camp. The enemy, nevertheless, nonchalantly continued their routine without any idea what was going to happen to them. This daily routine was sharply noted by Col. Ingles earlier during his observation from the fringes of the POW camp, which he emphasized in the report to GHQ. It proved to be the key to the precise hour - as a surprise attack upon an insouciant enemy. It certainly paid off during the assault.

Unexpected Episode

At this juncture, early in the morning -an enemy guard chased a hedge-hog towards the fence. He fired at the hog narrowly and unwittingly missing the Hunters deployed behind the buses. Hunter Capt. Marcelino Tan mistook this incident as discovery by the enemy of his men, thus - ordered a return fire.

At this juncture, all the Hunters around the camp reacted and hell broke loose. They simultaneously opened fire at their chosen targets. This unexpected incident started a premature assault. Rifles and machineguns barked without let up at the unaware guards that were mowed down without mercy. The Hunters breached the camp and “bolo” squads carrying razor-sharp machetes hacked the enemy. Surprise was our best weapon. It paid off handsomely in routine the guards that were felled by the initial volley of fire.

Makeshift Enemy Defense Some of the guards, however, were able to recover from the first wave of attack, managed to put up a makeshift defense to no avail. There was a hand-to-hand skirmish which resulted to the death of two young Hunters [ Tana Castillo and Momong Soler]. These two young lads were my close friends in the combat force. I have trained them in the mobile combat force, prior to my new assignment as coordinating intelligence officer at Los Banos liberation. I knew them well for they have always been behind me in previous patrols upon taking the lead at all patrols. However, during the Los Banos raid, they were under a different component during the assault

Ingles’s Intrusion of the Camp

At the main entrance of the camp, during the breach, Col. Ingles and the U.S Scouts were met with burst of enemy fire. Ingles returned with heavier fire and lobbed half-dozen grenades which wiped out the enemy guards instantly. They proceeded towards the main camp to join the melee.

Para-drop of the Brown Boots

At the para-drop zone, secured by guerrillas, the airborne troopers finally landed safely, with Hunter Bob Fletcher, and joined the action inside he camp nearby. By the time they reached the camp, the Hunters 45th Regimental banner was proudly waving on the makeshift flagstaff over the internee’s barracks. This banner was later brought by this author to be displayed at the U.S 6th Army Presidio Museum in San Francisco, California. And was returned to the Hunters on its 50th Anniversary in Manila, Philippines.

Hunters Breached the Camp

As sporadic gun-fires faded, there was an ominous silence. Hunters searched the perimeter for remaining enemy, mostly were badly wounded that were beyond help, and were left to die on the spot to join their ancestors. The airborne troopers had their share fire-fight against the remaining scampering Japanese from their stations.

The whole camp was in pandemonium. Both the guerrillas and the airborne troopers had a hay day routine shooting enemy guards who wee caught with their pants down. The element of surprise certainly was on our side that contributed much to the assault.

The POWs - sensing that it was safe to come out of their barracks, rushed out to greet their emancipators, hugging and kissing us, while tears of joy fell unashamedly. The whole camp was an amphi-theatre of ovation and thanksgiving. We cannot also help but also cry unashamedly upon seeing these starved, emaciated tortured souls, for three years and a half suffered under the iron heels of a savage enemy. It was a day of jubilation. Their prayers were finally answered while they went on their knees for three years praying for emancipation. They could not believe it that they were finally free. They were stunned, bewildered and horrendously surprised with glee. Can could not believe that they were free – at last.

Sad Aftermath

But, after the POWs and the raiders were all safely evacuated to Muntinlupa, Rizal, on that day, Japanese Battalion returned to Los Banos after a week - and vengefully massacred 7,000 innocent civilians who remained in - and/or returned to Los Banos who disobeyed the warning of the liberators to leave the place after the raid. A high, price - indeed was paid for by Filipino live in exchange of 2,146 Americans and allied POWs.

But it was part of the wages of war. People of Los Banos could not understand why there were none of us that stayed behind in Los Banos to protect them after the raid. However, the truth was – we had another order to proceed north towards Manila for the liberation of the Capital City..The Los Banos local guerrilla home-guards albeit have warned the people of Los Banos to evacuate, but failed to do so.

Day of Expounding the Truth On the 50th anniversary of the Los Banos liberation of the POWs and the town - Col. Gustavo C. Ingles, together with Cav. [BGen. E. Gidaya], PMA Class ’51, as Undersecretary of Defense, and myself with some American POWs returned for the grand reunion. The townspeople of Los Banos finally understood why no less than 7,000 of them were massacred by the vengeful Japanese who came back after our raid - and killed the civilians who did not heed the advice to leave the place. They were informed beforehand that after the raid, and that we had another assignment to proceed to liberate Pasay and Manila. The Hunters had to move on to liberate Lucena City, Quezon province.

Liberation Campaign

The guerrillas had another assignment to push forward to liberated the provinces of Quezon and Rizal, where the Hunters once more showed the U.S. Army how to flush out the enemy from their caves at Tanay, Rizal and Ipo Dam, in Bulacan province.

At Ipo Dam Campaign, it was Col. Frisco F. San Juan [Cav ‘44] and his PMA-Hunter forces kept the enemy without sleep under continuous assaults. The Hunters, however, paid a heavy toll in that campaign against waves of suicidal enemy “Banzai” charges. San Juan was in the heat of the assault against the huge enemy forces of the Shimbu defense line. It had to take over two months to mop u the Sierra Madre.

The Batangas Debacle

The Hunters also spearheaded the campaign in Batangas [ at Mt.Makulot ] where there was fierce fighting led by Hunter Col. Emmanuel de Ocampo against the enemy holed up in the area - who fought to the last man. The Hunters and other guerrilla units had a grudge fight against a superior enemy defense force. They took months before routing the enemy holed inside caves, determined to die to the last Bushido. In sum, the liberation campaign – gloriously succeeded but not without a high price. One million Filipinos perished in this war of the United States against Japan that involved the Filipinos in a war not inherently their own. It was a war of the U.S. against Japan.

Looking Back

The PMA Hunters - led by Class ’44 cavaliers had written a veritable history in blood and sweat - in World War II in the Philippines witnessed by no less than their comrades [ Lt. Gen. Robert Eicheberger, CO of the US Eight Army, the U.S 11th Airborne Division of Maj. Gen. Joseph M. Swing, the First Cavalry of Gen. William Chase. The 43rd Infantry Division of Maj. Leonard Wing, 103rd Infantry Battalion under Brig. Gen. Stark, the 11th Corps, the 11th Corps led by Gen. Julian Cunningham, and later by the AFWESPAC, etc., during the liberation and pacification campaigns of Southern Luzon .

Before the Turnover of the Commonwealth from U.S. Armed Forces Professional Careers

The PMAyers were all sent to the U.S. after World War II to undergo advance schooling at Command and Staff Schools (Fort Benning, GA; Fort Sill, OK; San Antonio TX, etc., and other schools before assuming respective posts n the Armed Forces of the Philippines. They all reached the apex of their military careers. For my part, I served a few years with the U.S Armed Forces in the West Pacific (AFWESPAC) and later with the Philippine Ryukus Command (PHILRYCOM) - then continued higher studies in Europe [ in Switzerland, Italy and France], completing my thesis “ Structures of Governments and Comparative Economic Systems.” Earned a gold medal for merit and excellence.

‘ Had a brief stint with the Flying Tigers Transport Command (1949) in China that evacuated Gen. Chiang Kai Shiek and the Chinese Nationalist Army [ Koumintang ] flown to safety from Lunghua, Shanghai, China to Taiwan Island, Republic of China.

‘ Completed studies at the Political War College, then stint with the Trans-Ocean Transport Division collecting by air transport all the Jews [White Russians, Estonians, stateless refugees] Jews and Palestinians all over Asia for repatriation to Lydda, Israel. And then in the Korean War with the U.N. Airlift Operations.

Then, later as psy-war and counter-intelligence observer in Laos during the Vietnam Conflict.

After serving the Philippine Government as psy-war consultant to then Sec. Ramon Magsaysay, who later became President of the Republic of the Philippines was tasked as Senate Committee Secretary of the Veterans and Military Pensions, vice president of Veterans Federation of the Philippines, then as public relations director of the Philippine Veterans Bank.

.It was time move on to participate as a ranking delegate to the International Conference of Human Rights and Social Welfare at Helsinki, Finland. And also as a delegate to the International Inter-Pol Security Conference, and then as member of the Cultural Delegation to the United Soviet Republic of Russia ( Moscow and Leningrad).

No sooner, after returning to the U.S., was called to serve - the U.S Army National Guard Reserves (CSMR) at Sacramento National Guard Headquarters [ first, as G-3 of the State Defense Force], [DCS] and then, Dep. Chief of Staff, of the Defense Force of 4 Brigades - after serving as Logistic Advisor of the 2nd Infantry BDE, a Fort Funston in San Francisco, California.

Tapped by Lt. Gen. Daniel O.Graham as a member of the ad hoc United States Defense Committee( White House) during Pres. Ronald Reagan Administration.

Retired as a full Colonel USA. Served the U.S. Federal Court of Appeals, (Circuit Executive Office) in San Francisco, California. Resided in California with my wife, Lou – as an executive of the School of Nursing, in San Francisco State University. We then relocated to a retirement hone in Las Vegas, Nevada.

+ + +

Those interested in the Internet version of the Los Banos Liberation of the American and allied POWs “Freedom At Dawn”. And the other book – “Ordeal In War’s Hell” – browse the internet. And contact Cavalier retired Gen. Fred Filler, at the Armed Forces of the Philippines Museum

Tribute to Members of PMA Class‘44 in Alphabetical Order: (Surname first)

Abendano, Fernando A. Acosta, Galileo C. Adea, Daniel B. Adevoso, Eleuterio L Aguila, Florentino B. Alcasid, Domingo A. Aquino, Joae M. .Artiaga, Jose M .Baquirin, Bienvenido V. Baumann, Eduardo A .Bermejo, Leandro C. Bernal, Felix R. Cabal, Geronimo M .Caceres, Percival R .Caluya, Laureto E. Carreon, Godofredo M. Castillo, Lauro M. Cleofe, Jimeno A .Concepcion, Teodoro J .Corpuz, Marcelno R. Dacanay, Benito R Dacamay, Patrocinio T. David, Nicanor C .Dizon, Rufino C. Domingo, Emilio A.Dumlao, Rafael F. .Erfe-Mejia, Marcelino P. Estrera, Hilarion L .Fawcett, Alfredo Federis, Waldemero E. Fenix, , Jose B.Guzman, Pablo O. Flor, Leonilo A. Ferrer, Juanito N .Flor, Leonilo. Flores, Mauricio S. Francisco, Pablo M. Genguyon, Gil G. Gutierrez Guillermo G. Indiongco, Saturnino S .Irlanda, Cristobal V. Jazmin, Cesar C .Jose, Pacifico V .Lara, Melanio P La Madrid, Bernardo L .Lim. Vicente H Jr., .Macalinao, Bartolome S .Magaro Pablo A Maristela, Vicente E. Molano, Sergio C. Moreno, Guillermo S .Nonato, Godiardo G Paat, Pedro O. Paje, Anselmo Q .Panopio, Juan B. Paredes, Pablo G. Perez, Gregorio R .Perlas, Jose Z. Punzalan, Victor M. Radam, Julio C .Regalado, Ramiro F. .Reyes, Jose L .Rodriguez, Jose Romero, Armando G .Roque, Antenor B .Roque,Benitez C .Ruaro, Severino R. Sabalones, Samson T .Sandiko, Felipito C. San Juan, Frisco F. Santiago, Hermogenes V. Segundo, Fidel V. Jr. Sevilla, Elias G. Signacion, Mario G. Tan, Lorenzo A. Torralba, Damaso Ugalde, Aurelio S. Valdez, Vivencio A .Valencia, Erusto P.Ver, Jesus L.Vera, Vicente A De, Veto William R. Villanueva, Eufracio C.Villasanta, Mariano M.

Associate Members

Lim, Patricio H (Rev.)Manglapuz, Raul, S., Quesada, Frank B., and Tangco, Paciano S.

Members, Reported to Class’ 44

On April 1, 1944

Bernal, Felix R. (returned from 1941), Briosos (FNU) Escalona, Marcelino, Ignacio, Pablo Lim,.Vicente H.Jr. (left for USMA) Loren (FNU) Molano, Sergio C. (left for USNA) Porat, Vicente O, Rapista (FNU) Reyes, Edmundo Delos, Rordiguez, Jose, Sabalones, Samson, Santos, Dizon, Santos (FNU) Tadeo, Rafael, Veto William R.

Source: Memoires of PMA Class ‘44

“Wrought In Gold “ 50th Anniversary

For more details: Browse Internet PMAyer’s Internet addresses

Reported by: Sol Jose Vanzi

All rights reserved