PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE: Since 1997 © Copyright (PHNO) http://newsflash.org


SPORTS NEWS THE PAST WEEKS
CLICK HERE TO READ ONLINE
(Mini Reads followed by Full Reports below)

MANNY PACQUIAO IN NEGOTIATIONS TO FIGHT BRIT AMIR KHAN


FEBRUARY 23 -- My, my, my, how times have changed. After dismissing Amir Khan for years, Manny Pacquiao announced on Wednesday that he is in talks to fight the Brit.Khan has long pushed for fights against Floyd Mayweather and Pacquiao, but neither materialized. It always seemed like he was Charlie Brown only to have the football pulled away just as he was about to kick it. 00:0200:34 HQ Report: No truth to Mayweather-McGregor fight deal Back in 2015, he thought he was going to fight Pacquiao, but Manny fought Timothy Bradley instead. Then last July, Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum absolutely crushed Khan by dismissing his ability to draw fans. Despite Arum being dismissive of Khan, it looks like he’s going to be eating his words. READ MORE...

ALSO FAN's twitter choice: Pacquiao vs Khan - To see or not to see


FEBRUARY 26 -PACMAN VS KHAN
What has so far come out clear about Manny Pacquiao’s next fight was that the previously announced bout against Australian Jeff Horn dragged and was ditched over a question of money, the size of the purse to be exact. Horn is suddenly out of the picture, but this was already a foregone conclusion the moment Pacquiao announced last week he was in talks with United Arab Emirates for his next bout. Promoter Bob Arum, missing through all the confusion, finally surfaced but the first thing he did was denounce the reported huge purse dangled for Pacquiao by unnamed negotiators in the UAE. Arum said the “insane” sum turned Pacquiao’s head. For the record, Team Pacquiao readily decried the $5 million offered by Australia to the Filipino boxing superhero, calling it peanuts. There next came the report that there was an offer of as much as $38 million for Pacquiao to take his act to the UAE. Meanwhile, Amir Khan proceeded to loom as Pacquiao’s most likely foe, following a poll personally conducted by the fighting Filipino senator among his fans on Twitter. Khan topped that poll, with Horn taking the tail-end. READ MORE...

ALSO: Pac ditches Horn for Khan


FEBRUARY 25 -Manny Pacquiao and Amir Khan. File photos
Manny Pacquiao values what the fans want. Giving in to his Twitter followers’ clamor, the Fighting Senator announced Thursday that his team is negotiating with the camp of British fighter Amir Khan for his next fight set April 23 in the United Arab Emirates. “My team and I are in negotiations with Amir Khan for our next fight,” Pacquiao said on his Twitter feed. “Further announcement coming soon.”  The new development, which effectively quashed Australian Jeff Horn’s aspirations to tangle with the eight-division world champion, was corroborated by Pacquiao’s adviser, Michael Koncz, and longtime promoter, Bob Arum. Koncz, who negotiated for Pacquiao’s next fight to be held in either Abu Dhabi or Dubai, was quoted as saying that both sides are closed to concluding negotiations and that he’s confident of getting the fight done. READ MORE...

ALSO: Dubai eyed as Pacquiao-Khan site


FEBRUARY 25 -The fight-fans are craving to see — Manny Pacquiao versus England’s Amir Khan — is under negotiations for April 23 in Dubai, the Filipino fighter’s camp said yesterday.
Two days after the British media reported that Pacquiao and Khan are facing off on May 20 in Bolton or Manchester, Pacquiao adviser Mike Koncz said they “are in talks with Khan.” “We did a poll on social media recently and Amir had the biggest number of votes from fight fans. He was the runaway winner,” said Koncz. “If we get a deal in place, this fight will give the fans the fight they want to see,” he said. It is believed that Pacquiao’s camp is training its sights on Dubai since the Emirates has more to offer than Australia, which is dangling local boy Jeff Horn as an opponent. Almost two weeks ago, Koncz even went to the United Arab Emirates and held a press conference announcing the Pacquiao fight there. READ MORE...

ALSO: Pacquiao, Khan reach deal for April 23 fight


FEBRUARY 28 -Manny Pacquiao (L) and Amir Khan | ABS-CBN File Photo MANILA, Philippines — Mark your calendars. Both Manny Pacquiao and Amir Khan's camps have reached an agreement to fight on April 23, 2017. In a tweet posted Sunday morning here, Pacquiao said he and Khan have come to terms for a showcase that "the fans wanted." Follow Manny Pacquiao ✔ @mannypacquiao Negotiations between team Pacquiao and team Khan have come to terms for the April 23 bout as this is what the fans wanted. #PacquiaoKhan 10:10 PM - 25 Feb 2017 4,119 4,119 Retweets 4,204 4,204 likes Khan, who was coming off a Canelo Alvarez loss in May 2016, has been longing for a shot against the decorated Pacquiao. The two need no introductions as they have been old sparring mates under Freddie Roach. READ MORE...WATCH KHAN ANNOUNCEMENT ON VIDEO...


READ FULL MEDIA REPORTS HERE BELOW
OR CLICK HERE TO READ ONLINE

Manny Pacquiao in negotiations to fight Amir Khan

MANILA, FEBRUARY 27, 2017 (MICROSOFT NEWS NETWORK) Larry Brown Sports - My, my, my, how times have changed.

After dismissing Amir Khan for years, Manny Pacquiao announced on Wednesday that he is in talks to fight the Brit.

Khan has long pushed for fights against Floyd Mayweather and Pacquiao, but neither materialized. It always seemed like he was Charlie Brown only to have the football pulled away just as he was about to kick it.

00:0200:34 HQ Report: No truth to Mayweather-McGregor fight deal

Back in 2015, he thought he was going to fight Pacquiao, but Manny fought Timothy Bradley instead. Then last July, Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum absolutely crushed Khan by dismissing his ability to draw fans.

Despite Arum being dismissive of Khan, it looks like he’s going to be eating his words.

READ MORE...

Pac-Man has won two in a row since his 2015 loss to Mayweather, while King Khan is coming off a loss to Canelo Alvarez in May. Khan had won five in a row prior to that defeat and is 31-4 in his career.


Pacquiao Jessie Vargas v Manny Pacquiao, Welterweight Boxing, Las Vegas, USA - 06 Nov 2016 Manny Pacquiao
MANNY PACQUIAO (2016) After quitting the sport in April 2016 to pursue his political ambitions, the former eight-division world champion made his comeback on Nov. 5 in a fight against 27-year-old Jessie Vargas in Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S. Displaying more intensity and energy against an opponent 10 years younger, Pacquiao dominated the bout to claim the WBO Welterweight title.


INQUIRER

Pacquiao vs Khan: To see or not to see By: Recah Trinidad - @inquirerdotnetPhilippine Daily Inquirer / 01:59 AM February 25, 2017


PACMAN VS KHAN

What has so far come out clear about Manny Pacquiao’s next fight was that the previously announced bout against Australian Jeff Horn dragged and was ditched over a question of money, the size of the purse to be exact.

Horn is suddenly out of the picture, but this was already a foregone conclusion the moment Pacquiao announced last week he was in talks with United Arab Emirates for his next bout.

Promoter Bob Arum, missing through all the confusion, finally surfaced but the first thing he did was denounce the reported huge purse dangled for Pacquiao by unnamed negotiators in the UAE.

Arum said the “insane” sum turned Pacquiao’s head.

For the record, Team Pacquiao readily decried the $5 million offered by Australia to the Filipino boxing superhero, calling it peanuts.

There next came the report that there was an offer of as much as $38 million for Pacquiao to take his act to the UAE.

Meanwhile, Amir Khan proceeded to loom as Pacquiao’s most likely foe, following a poll personally conducted by the fighting Filipino senator among his fans on Twitter.

Khan topped that poll, with Horn taking the tail-end.

READ MORE...

Of course, there are more compelling fights, such as the one against the sensational undefeated world light welterweight champion Terence Crawford, which fans have continued to ask for.

Team Pacquiao had dodged Crawford at least three times, while the eight-division world titlist proceeded to face very convenient opponents.

Do remember that trainer Freddie Roach had openly warned Pacquiao against Crawford, described as young, strong, talented and dangerous.

As for Khan, whose two recent KO defeats to Danny Garcia and Canelo Alvarez remained the most memorable en route to his negotiations with Pacquiao, the big question now is if there would be enough revenues to offset the huge purse involved.

Khan, so far, has loomed not a truly dangerous foe, and therefore not wholly saleable.

An unbelieving Bob Arum said he would readily come in and help his treasured ward put up a Pacquiao-Khan title bout, but only if the reported $38 million purse is readily available, not a figment of the imagination.


INQUIRER

Pac ditches Horn for Khan By: Roy Luarca - Editor / @RLuarcaINQPhilippine Daily Inquirer / 03:49 AM February 24, 2017


Manny Pacquiao and Amir Khan. File photos

Manny Pacquiao values what the fans want.

Giving in to his Twitter followers’ clamor, the Fighting Senator announced Thursday that his team is negotiating with the camp of British fighter Amir Khan for his next fight set April 23 in the United Arab Emirates.

“My team and I are in negotiations with Amir Khan for our next fight,” Pacquiao said on his Twitter feed. “Further announcement coming soon.”

The new development, which effectively quashed Australian Jeff Horn’s aspirations to tangle with the eight-division world champion, was corroborated by Pacquiao’s adviser, Michael Koncz, and longtime promoter, Bob Arum.

Koncz, who negotiated for Pacquiao’s next fight to be held in either Abu Dhabi or Dubai, was quoted as saying that both sides are closed to concluding negotiations and that he’s confident of getting the fight done.

READ MORE...

In a sudden turnaround from his earlier pronouncement that Pacquiao fighting Khan in the United Kingdom is absurd, the 85-year-old Arum admitted that negotiations are indeed going on between the two parties.

As to the final outcome, the Arum sounded skeptical.

“Whether it will happen or not, I just don’t know because they have to come up with a large amount of money,” Arum told ESPN.com. “Manny seems to believe they will come up with the money. I have some reservations whether it will happen or not.”

Pacquiao-Khan reportedly involves a deal worth $38 million, which dwarfs the under $10 million being offered by Duco Events to stage Pacquiao-Horn in Australia.

“If it’s (UAE offer) real, we will assist putting on the event, but I am not holding my breath, and I’m not making plane reservations,” Arum said.

The 30-year-old Khan emerged out of the shadows after he topped the survey participated in by 44, 815 of Pacquiao’s Twitter followers as to who they want Pacquiao to fight next.

Khan, a former sparring of Pacquiao, garnered 48 percent of the votes, followed by Kell Brook (24 percent), Terence Crawford (21 percent) and Horn (7 percent).

Although Khan was knocked out by Canelo Alvarez in the sixth round in his foray to the middleweight division last May, the 30-year-old is still popular in UAE, owing to his Pakistani descent and Muslim faith.


MANILA BULLETIN

Dubai eyed as Pacquiao-Khan site 1 SHARES Share it! Updated February 24, 2017, 12:09 AM Published February 24, 2017, 12:00 AM by Nick Giongco

The fight-fans are craving to see — Manny Pacquiao versus England’s Amir Khan — is under negotiations for April 23 in Dubai, the Filipino fighter’s camp said yesterday.

Two days after the British media reported that Pacquiao and Khan are facing off on May 20 in Bolton or Manchester, Pacquiao adviser Mike Koncz said they “are in talks with Khan.”

“We did a poll on social media recently and Amir had the biggest number of votes from fight fans. He was the runaway winner,” said Koncz.

“If we get a deal in place, this fight will give the fans the fight they want to see,” he said.

It is believed that Pacquiao’s camp is training its sights on Dubai since the Emirates has more to offer than Australia, which is dangling local boy Jeff Horn as an opponent.

Almost two weeks ago, Koncz even went to the United Arab Emirates and held a press conference announcing the Pacquiao fight there.

READ MORE...

“We made a commitment to Dubai to fight there,” said Koncz, stressing that if Dubai pulls it off, it will open up more chances for it to play host to big fights.

“It will be a tremendous opportunity for Dubai to show what they’ve got,” added Koncz.

Pacquiao and Khan are immensely popular in the UAE, according to Koncz.

“I remember when we went there for an official function three years ago and I saw how popular Manny is.”

Even Khan, who has Pakistani lineage, has a solid fanbase in the UAE, being a Muslim.

“Amir goes there frequently,” added Koncz.

Pacquiao beat Jessie Vargas in his last fight in November, 2017 while Khan was knocked out cold by Sauul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez in his previous outing six months earlier.

Still, Pacquiao and Khan have a storied rivalry as their countless sparring sessions five years ago were intense and action-packed as Khan was still under Freddie Roach.


PHILSTAR

Pacquiao, Khan reach deal for April 23 fight (philstar.com) | Updated February 26, 2017 - 12:30pm 6 579 googleplus1 0

 
https://youtu.be/VwlfOztLngg?t=60

 


FEBRUARY 28 -Manny Pacquiao (L) and Amir Khan | ABS-CBN File Photo

MANILA, Philippines — Mark your calendars.

Both Manny Pacquiao and Amir Khan's camps have reached an agreement to fight on April 23, 2017.

In a tweet posted Sunday morning here, Pacquiao said he and Khan have come to terms for a showcase that "the fans wanted."

Follow Manny Pacquiao ✔ @mannypacquiao Negotiations between team Pacquiao and team Khan have come to terms for the April 23 bout as this is what the fans wanted. #PacquiaoKhan 10:10 PM - 25 Feb 2017 4,119 4,119 Retweets 4,204 4,204 likes

Khan, who was coming off a Canelo Alvarez loss in May 2016, has been longing for a shot against the decorated Pacquiao. The two need no introductions as they have been old sparring mates under Freddie Roach.

READ MORE...

Follow Amir Khan ✔ @amirkingkhan
My team an I have agreed terms with Manny Pacquiao and his team for a super fight #pacquiaokhan #April23rd 10:19 PM - 25 Feb 2017 5,538 5,538 Retweets 7,027 7,027 likes

Pacquiao's adviser Mike Koncz confirmed that it was indeed the Filipino icon who tweeted the development.

"I have no statement at this time other than to confirm that yes, that is Manny's tweet, and we have come to terms to fight Amir khan with him and his team," Koncz told Philstar.com in a text message.

Pacquiao, a Philippine senator and the sport's only eight-division world title holder, was initially set to fight Jeff Horn in Australia. He recently came back from retirement and took the welterweight crown from Jessie Vargas.

Little has been bared regarding the venue of the Pacquiao - Khan slugfest, but the former has hinted on fighting in the United Arab Emirates. — Denison Rey A. Dalupang and Dino Maragay


CONTINUE TO >> NEXT SPORTS BEAT PAGE (coming next week)

GO TO >> HEADLINE NEWS PAGE

GO TO > > BUSINESS & ECONOMY PAGE


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2017 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE