PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE: Since 1997 © Copyright (PHNO) http://newsflash.org


SPORTS NEWS THE PAST WEEKS
CLICK HERE TO READ ONLINE
(Mini Reads followed by Full Reports below)

MONEY MATTERS?  AUSSIE 'SCHOOL TEACHER' LIKELY PACQUIAO'S NEXT FOE


JANUARY 5 -
Manny Pacquiao could fight Jeff Horn in Australia. | Pacquiao photo from AP/Horn photo from boxingscene.com Manny Pacquiao could end up fighting next in Australia, against someone who happens to be a qualified school teacher. Top Rank Inc. chief Bob Arum recently mentioned Jeff Horn of Brisbane, Australia as a possible opponent for Pacquiao, whose next fight could be held outside the United States. “One thing I’m looking forward to — the possibility of putting the fight on free television in the United States. We’re looking at a future president of the Philippines and if he fights outside the United States and people in the United States and around the world are able to watch his fight without paying any additional money — I think it’s a plus. It puts him on a really different level,” Arum told Mitch Abramson of ringtv.com. Among the destinations on Arum’s mind are the Middle East and Australia, home to some parties reportedly interested in hosting a Pacquiao fight. READ MORE...

ALSO Report: Pacquiao wants $20M guarantee vs Crawford


JANUARY 3 -Manny Pacquiao and Terence Crawford
Manny Pacquiao understands the risks in fighting a dangerous rising star in WBC and WBO super lightweight champion Terence Crawford. That’s why he will demand a guaranteed purse of $20 million if Top Rank is keen on pitting him against the 29-year-old Crawford. “If it's Crawford that Top Rank wants for Manny Pacquiao, then we'll fight Crawford,” Mike Koncz, Pacquiao’s adviser, told Nick Giongco of the Manila Bulletin. "But we want a guarantee of $20 million," added Koncz. READ MORE...

ALSO: Pacquiao won't fight Crawford next, says Arum


JANUARY 5 -Manny Pacquiao and Bob Arum
Despite the clamor for a showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Terence Crawford, the fight isn’t expected to happen soon. This after Top Rank Inc. chief Bob Arum said he is planning to have Pacquiao’s next fight airing on free television, leaving Crawford – who would have made it a pay-per-view event – out of the picture. “It (Pacquiao-Crawford fight) doesn’t make sense,” Arum recently told Mitch Abramson of ringtv.com. “The only way we can afford a Crawford fight is on pay-per-view and I would like to avoid pay-per-view for Manny’s next fight,” added the veteran promoter. READ MORE...

ALSO: Crawford fight unfinished business for Pacquiao - Roach


Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines lands a right to the head of Jessie Vargas during their WBO welterweight championship fight at the Thomas & Mack Center on November 5, 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Christian Petersen/Getty Images/AFP Trainer Freddie Roach calls it a tough, dangerous fight but, strictly speaking, the famous handler of Manny Pacquiao has directly tagged world light welterweight king Terence Crawford as one big unfinished business. It’s no secret Team Pacquiao had avoided a confrontation with Crawford (30-0, 21 KOs), at least twice last year. Roach has sworn that enough is enough. “It’s one tough fight we have to say yes to,” Roach explained. Why? “We don’t wanna just be fighting nobodies, etc. to stay in the game.”  READ MORE...

ALSO: Horn - Fighting Pacquiao in Australia a dream come true


JANUARY 6 -Manny Pacquiao could fight Jeff Horn in Australia. | Pacquiao photo from AP/Horn photo from boxingscene.com
Australian prospect Jeff Horn, who recently cracked the shortlist of possible opponents for Manny Pacquiao, said he is looking forward to fighting the Filipino icon at home. The 28-year-old Horn is the No. 2 contender to Pacquiao’s WBO welterweight championship, which the fighting senator regained from Jessie Vargas last year. And with Top Rank Inc. chief Bob Arum planning to hold Pacquiao’s next fight outside the United States, Horn’s name popped up, particularly if the bout is held in Australia. Horn, who interestingly is also a qualified school teacher, told Fox Sports that it is his dream to take on Pacquiao at Suncorp Stadium, which is located in Horn’s hometown of Brisbane. READ MORE...

ALSO: Pacquiao mulls producing Christian films


JANUARY 7 -Manny Pacquiao /mb.com.ph
Senator Manny Pacquiao is eyeing a return to showbiz this year, maybe not as actor but producer of Christian films. “Nag-i-isip ako gumawa, wala kasing ganu’n ngayon,” he said in a short interview held at the opening of Ka Tunying’s Café inside NAIA Terminal 3. The prized boxer could also star in it, of course. “Kung kailangan pwede din,” said he who headlined such films as “Anak Ng Kumander” and “Wapakman” in the past. “Basta kung sakali, gusto ko gumawa ng Christian films. Pwedeng ako bida or as producer lang. Ang gusto ko lang maka-inspire sa ating mga kababayan,” he added. READ MORE...


READ FULL MEDIA REPORTS HERE BELOW
OR CLICK HERE TO READ ONLINE

Aussie 'school teacher' likely Pacquiao's next foe


Manny Pacquiao could fight Jeff Horn in Australia. | Pacquiao photo from AP/Horn photo from boxingscene.com

MANILA,
JANUARY 9, 2016 (PHILSTAR)  By Dino Maragay January 4, 2017 - Manny Pacquiao could end up fighting next in Australia, against someone who happens to be a qualified school teacher.

Top Rank Inc. chief Bob Arum recently mentioned Jeff Horn of Brisbane, Australia as a possible opponent for Pacquiao, whose next fight could be held outside the United States.

“One thing I’m looking forward to — the possibility of putting the fight on free television in the United States. We’re looking at a future president of the Philippines and if he fights outside the United States and people in the United States and around the world are able to watch his fight without paying any additional money — I think it’s a plus. It puts him on a really different level,” Arum told Mitch Abramson of ringtv.com.

Among the destinations on Arum’s mind are the Middle East and Australia, home to some parties reportedly interested in hosting a Pacquiao fight.

READ MORE...

And if Pacquiao finds himself fighting Down Under, it will be against Horn, an undefeated prospect who’s the No. 2 contender to Pacquiao’s WBO welterweight championship.

“If we go to Australia, certainly he’ll be a leading candidate,” Arum said of Horn (16-0-1, 11 KOs), who holds a Bachelor of Education degree from Griffith University.

“He’s a great looking kid, speaks very well. He’s undefeated. He’s a tough guy. He has a great back-story, being a school teacher, so it makes a lot of sense,” added Arum.

For his part, Dean Lonergan, Horn’s promoter, said Arum has already contacted their camp about a possible bout.

“Bob has given us a figure for Pacquiao’s fee to fight Jeff Horn,” Lonergan told couriermail.com.au on Tuesday.

Horn cracked the shortlist for Pacquiao’s next opponent as Arum said a showdown between the Filipino icon and Terence Crawford isn’t likely not happen soon.

Pacquiao reportedly wants a guarantee of $20 million to fight the dangerous Crawford, which could be too much unless it’s going to be a pay-per-view fight.

It may not be the same amount Pacquiao will get against Horn, but Lonergan said that coming up with a desirable purse for the Filipino icon isn’t out of reach.

“While it’s a substantial amount of money, we believe that with the right sponsorships we can make Pacquiao-Horn happen in Brisbane and I believe Jeff can beat Pacquiao,” Lonergan added.


PHILSTAR

Report: Pacquiao wants $20M guarantee vs Crawford (philstar.com) | Updated January 3, 2017 - 8:50am 1 118 googleplus0 0


Manny Pacquiao and Terence Crawford

MANILA, Philippines – Manny Pacquiao understands the risks in fighting a dangerous rising star in WBC and WBO super lightweight champion Terence Crawford.

That’s why he will demand a guaranteed purse of $20 million if Top Rank is keen on pitting him against the 29-year-old Crawford.

“If it's Crawford that Top Rank wants for Manny Pacquiao, then we'll fight Crawford,” Mike Koncz, Pacquiao’s adviser, told Nick Giongco of the Manila Bulletin.

"But we want a guarantee of $20 million," added Koncz.

READ MORE...

Pacquiao definitely wants a bigger payday against a more risky opponent. Against the light-punching Jessie Vargas in November last year, he was reportedly paid just $4 million and a percentage of the pay-per-view and live ticket sales.

It was probably the lowest payday Pacquiao got for a while, but it turned out to be worth it as he regained the WBO welterweight championship after defeating Vargas, boosting his stock.

Sportshub ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1 Now, the Filipino icon is looking at fighting two more times this year, with Crawford as frontrunner.

The Omaha, Nebraska-based fighter will remain atop the shortlist for Pacquiao’s next foe as long as the retired Floyd Mayweather Jr. remains uninterested in fighting again.

Pacquiao has long insisted his desire to face Mayweather in a rematch, previously saying it will be his priority.

But with Mayweather giving no hint on whether he’ll return to ring, Pacquiao will have no choice but to take on Crawford, who is undefeated in 30 fights (with 21 KOs).

And Pacquiao is making sure he’ll get paid handsomely for this. – Dino Maragay


PHILSTAR

Pacquiao won't fight Crawford next, says Arum By Dino Maragay (philstar.com) | Updated January 4, 2017 - 10:15am 1 25 googleplus0 0


Manny Pacquiao and Bob Arum

MANILA, Philippines – Despite the clamor for a showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Terence Crawford, the fight isn’t expected to happen soon.

This after Top Rank Inc. chief Bob Arum said he is planning to have Pacquiao’s next fight airing on free television, leaving Crawford – who would have made it a pay-per-view event – out of the picture.

“It (Pacquiao-Crawford fight) doesn’t make sense,” Arum recently told Mitch Abramson of ringtv.com.

“The only way we can afford a Crawford fight is on pay-per-view and I would like to avoid pay-per-view for Manny’s next fight,” added the veteran promoter.

READ MORE...

Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz earlier said they will demand a guarantee of $20 million to fight Crawford, a dangerous champion being groomed to become Top Rank’s next superstar.

The Filipino icon last fought in November 2015, defeating Jessie Vargas in a fight aired on pay-per-view by Top Rank itself. The event sold over 300,000 units, which Arum considers a success.

Now, Arum is eyeing an April 22 return for Pacquiao, possibly even outside the United States where the boxer has been fighting the past few years.

Regardless of the location, Arum believes the fight will sell itself.

“I’m not dealing with an ordinary fighter here who has to squeeze every buck out,” Arum continued, emphasizing Pacquiao’s marketing appeal.

Among the destinations on Arum’s mind are the Middle East and Australia, the latter of which could host a bout between Pacquiao and undefeated prospect Jeff Horn (16-0, with 11 KOs).


INQUIRER

Crawford fight unfinished business next for Pacquiao - Roach By: Recah Trinidad - @inquirerdotnet Philippine Daily Inquirer / 12:27 AM January 03, 2017


Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines lands a right to the head of Jessie Vargas during their WBO welterweight championship fight at the Thomas & Mack Center on November 5, 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Christian Petersen/Getty Images/AFP

Trainer Freddie Roach calls it a tough, dangerous fight but, strictly speaking, the famous handler of Manny Pacquiao has directly tagged world light welterweight king Terence Crawford as one big unfinished business.

It’s no secret Team Pacquiao had avoided a confrontation with Crawford (30-0, 21 KOs), at least twice last year.

Roach has sworn that enough is enough.

“It’s one tough fight we have to say yes to,” Roach explained.

Why?

“We don’t wanna just be fighting nobodies, etc. to stay in the game.”

READ MORE...

Brave, fighting words: There’s no denying the unbeaten Crawford is the best and toughest available foe for Pacquiao.

The pride of Omaha, Nebraska, top candidate for 2016 Fighter of the Year, heads the CompuBox categorical leaders list with 49 points, followed by Vasyl Lomachenco with 48.

Pacquiao is at 5th with 21 points, behind Roman Gonzales with 30. Andre Ward lords it over at third.

Crawford had openly challenged Pacquiao in 2016. Sen. Pacquiao however ended up fighting Timothy Bradley, a favorite whipping boy, before taking on Jessie Vargas and regaining his WBO welterweight crown last November.

Sad to say, those two relatively easy assignments hardly enhanced Pacquiao’s brand.

Crawford would go on to win all his three fights last year in sensational fashion.

Actually, Pacquiao and Roach would be pining indefinitely for a rematch with the securely retired Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Then, in a thrilling twist, Roach made a bold stand.

“We still want to be the best,” he said.

Why?

“If you can’t be the best, you don’t need to be in this sport—because you’ll get hurt.”


PHILSTAR

Horn: Fighting Pacquiao in Australia a dream come true By Dino Maragay (philstar.com) | Updated January 5, 2017 - 1:55pm 1 20 googleplus0 0


Manny Pacquiao could fight Jeff Horn in Australia. | Pacquiao photo from AP/Horn photo from boxingscene.com

 MANILA, Philippines – Australian prospect Jeff Horn, who recently cracked the shortlist of possible opponents for Manny Pacquiao, said he is looking forward to fighting the Filipino icon at home.

The 28-year-old Horn is the No. 2 contender to Pacquiao’s WBO welterweight championship, which the fighting senator regained from Jessie Vargas last year.

And with Top Rank Inc. chief Bob Arum planning to hold Pacquiao’s next fight outside the United States, Horn’s name popped up, particularly if the bout is held in Australia.

Horn, who interestingly is also a qualified school teacher, told Fox Sports that it is his dream to take on Pacquiao at Suncorp Stadium, which is located in Horn’s hometown of Brisbane.

READ MORE...

“To get a fight with Pacquiao would be a dream come true, especially if it was at Suncorp. A couple of years ago it would have been like a dream just to meet Pacquiao but now to get a chance to take his world title is amazing. Things have certainly moved quickly for me in the last couple of days,” said Horn.

The undefeated Australian (16-0, with 11 KOs) said he can do better against Pacquiao than Vargas, who lost to the Filipino icon in a lopsided fight last November in Las Vegas.

“I watched Pacquiao's fight with Vargas and I thought Pacquiao easily outboxed him. Vargas is a very basic fighter. He's tough but he doesn't do anything special,” Horn explained.

“He just stands right in front of you with a long jab and a right hand. If I was fighting Pacquiao I would move a lot more than Vargas did and give Pacquiao different angles the same way he did to Vargas,” he added.


MANILA BULLETIN

Pacquiao mulls producing Christian films 0 SHARES Share it! By: NR Ramos Published January 8, 2017, 12:10 AM


Manny Pacquiao /mb.com.ph

Senator Manny Pacquiao is eyeing a return to showbiz this year, maybe not as actor but producer of Christian films.

“Nag-i-isip ako gumawa, wala kasing ganu’n ngayon,” he said in a short interview held at the opening of Ka Tunying’s Café inside NAIA Terminal 3.

The prized boxer could also star in it, of course.

“Kung kailangan pwede din,” said he who headlined such films as “Anak Ng Kumander” and “Wapakman” in the past.

“Basta kung sakali, gusto ko gumawa ng Christian films. Pwedeng ako bida or as producer lang. Ang gusto ko lang maka-inspire sa ating mga kababayan,” he added.

READ MORE...

Asked for possible ideas he is toying with, Pacquiao mentioned the story of Joseph who was sold into slavery by his jealous brothers; and Daniel, the prophet thrown into a lion’s den.

“Pwede din isang modern story na hindi galing sa Bible pero magbigay inspiration sa tao,” the senator said.

As for his kids appearing in those projects, he said, “Focus na lang muna sila sa school.”

Note his sons Jimuel and Michael are now endorsers of a popular apparel brand.

“’Yun lang naman hilig nila so okay na ’yang pa model-model minsan.”

To those wondering when he will return to the boxing ring, he said, “Ipaubaya na lang natin ’yan sa Panginoon.”

Pacquiao described 2016 as a very good year for him.

“God has been merciful, my family is so blessed, happy ako at tsaka may peace of mind.” He hopes the same for everyone.

“Ang prayer ko nga sa 2017 na every Filipino will have prosperity and success at tsaka ang bayan natin na malayo sa mga kalamidad.” (With report from Jojo P. Panaligan)


CONTINUE TO >> NEXT SPORTS BEAT PAGE (coming next week)

GO TO >> HEADLINE NEWS PAGE

GO TO > > BUSINESS & ECONOMY PAGE


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2016 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE