PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE: Since 1997 © Copyright (PHNO) http://newsflash.org


SPORTS NEWS THE PAST WEEKS
CLICK HERE TO READ ONLINE
(Mini Reads followed by Full Reports below)

ARUM: IF NO FLOYD, WE DO PACMAN-CRAWFORD


NPVEMBER 11 -Boxing promoter Bob Arum said Filipino champion Manny Pacquiao will try to get reigning junior welterweight champion Terence Crawford if Floyd Mayweather Jr. is unavailable for a rematch.
Arum earlier said there’s a 75-percent chance that a second face-off between Pacquiao and Mayweather could be worked out. But he acknowledged that he has yet to talk to Mayweather’s camp. “I have not spoken to Mayweather, not with [Mayweather's adviser] Al Haymon. It's just my opinion [the rematch has a 75-percent chance of happening], which is as valid as [the opinion of] anyone else," said Arum in Boxing Scene. READ MORE...

ALSO: Pacquiao's WBO welterweight bout in graft spotlight


NOVEMBER 11 -Manny Pacquiao Photograph: Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images
The Philippines' anti-graft agency has initiated an inquiry into whether the police chief broke the law by visiting the United States last week to watch boxer Manny Pacquiao's WBO welterweight victory, a spokeswoman said on Friday. Manny PacquiaoRoland dela Rosa, a high-profile figure in the Philippines and a close ally of President Rodrigo Duterte, could face criminal and administrative action if the ombudsman found sufficient evidence to show the Las Vegas trip with his family was not from his own pocket. "The ombudsman has ordered a fact-finding investigation on the alleged travel perks received by the national police chief," spokeswoman Mary Rawnsle Lopez told reporters. READ MORE

ALSO: Thumbs-up for rematch? Pacquiao, Mayweather hint at it


NOVEMBER 12 -Newly crowned WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao waves to Floyd Mayweather Jr. after beating Jessie Vargas Saturday at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. ABAC CORDERO
LOS ANGELES – Gone were the hostilities, the ill-feelings, the standoff in talks, the drug issues that nearly scuttled the staging of boxing history’s richest fight in May 2015. Saturday in Las Vegas, Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao were like old buddies with eye contacts, body language, raised hands and eventually the American’s thumbs-up at the close of the Filipino champ’s bout with Jessie Vargas that augured well for the holding of Superfight II. But it’s only Mayweather who holds the key to a rematch. READ MORE...

ALSO: Floyd seeks Freddie Roach’s advice


NOVEMBER 12 -Floyd Mayweather Jr.
In what may be a sign of bridging barriers, Floyd Mayweather Jr. visited the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles twice this year and sought out coach Freddie Roach for advice. Roach spoke with Mayweather on his first visit but was in Russia attending to WBA cruiserweight champion Denis Lebedev when the former five-division world champion made a second appearance. “Floyd dropped by to check out the gym,” Roach told The Star recently. “He looked around and I took him to the new private gym on the ground floor. No, he didn’t work out. Floyd’s actually a nice guy. It’s his father (Floyd Sr.) and uncle (Roger) who’re crazy. I’ve known Floyd since he was a kid.” READ MORE...


READ FULL MEDIA REPORTS HERE BELOW
OR CLICK HERE TO READ ONLINE

Arum: If no Floyd, we do Pacman-Crawford

MANILA, NOVEMBER 14, 2016 (ABS-CBN) Posted at Nov 11 2016 09:33 PM - Boxing promoter Bob Arum said Filipino champion Manny Pacquiao will try to get reigning junior welterweight champion Terence Crawford if Floyd Mayweather Jr. is unavailable for a rematch.

Arum earlier said there’s a 75-percent chance that a second face-off between Pacquiao and Mayweather could be worked out.

But he acknowledged that he has yet to talk to Mayweather’s camp.

“I have not spoken to Mayweather, not with [Mayweather's adviser] Al Haymon. It's just my opinion [the rematch has a 75-percent chance of happening], which is as valid as [the opinion of] anyone else," said Arum in Boxing Scene.

READ MORE...

Pacquiao and Mayweather took home millions of dollars in last year's highly anticipated super fight, which took five years to put together.

But the bout failed to live up to the hype, with Mayweather dancing his way to a unanimous decision win. The American boxer fought one last time against Andre Berto before calling it quits in 2015.

Arum said that if they fail to secure a rematch, then they will set up Pacquiao against Crawford for next year.

"Obviously if Mayweather decides to come out of retirement that would be the fight for Manny,” said Arum. “But if not, Crawford would be the choice.”

But the rising American star will have to take care of business first before squaring off against Pacquiao, said the promoter.

Crawford will defend his WBO, WBC and Ring Magazine junior welterweight titles against John Molina Jr. on December.

"Crawford has a very tough fight with Molina. If he wins that fight, then we would look at Manny's options for 2017," Arum said.


REDIFF.COM BLOG (SOURCE: REUTERS)

Pacquiao's WBO welterweight bout in graft spotlight November 11, 2016 18:48 IST


Manny Pacquiao Photograph: Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images

The Philippines' anti-graft agency has initiated an inquiry into whether the police chief broke the law by visiting the United States last week to watch boxer Manny Pacquiao's WBO welterweight victory, a spokeswoman said on Friday.

Manny PacquiaoRoland dela Rosa, a high-profile figure in the Philippines and a close ally of President Rodrigo Duterte, could face criminal and administrative action if the ombudsman found sufficient evidence to show the Las Vegas trip with his family was not from his own pocket.

"The ombudsman has ordered a fact-finding investigation on the alleged travel perks received by the national police chief," spokeswoman Mary Rawnsle Lopez told reporters.

READ MORE

She said dela Rosa may have violated a code of conduct and ethical standards for public officials and employees.

If found guilty, he faces five years in jail or a fine not exceeding 5,000 pesos (about $100) or both.

Dela Rosa, who said he was a friend of Pacquiao, said he had yet to be notified of any investigation.

"Did I commit a sin?" dela Rosa told reporters on Friday

"What's important is, it was not stolen money. Okay, then investigate me."

The inquiry was triggered by dela Rosa's admission that he and his family were offered a free trip to Las Vegas to watch Pacquiao, a national icon and senator, beat American Jessie Vargas on Saturday.

Source:
© Copyright 2016 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

READ THIS NEWS REPORT AT PHNO NEWS PAGE THIS WEEK OR CLICK NOW HERE Bato faces probe over free trip to Pacman fight (PHILSTAR HEADLINE NEWS)


PHILSTAR

Thumbs-up for rematch? Pacquiao, Mayweather hint at it By Abac Cordero (The Philippine Star) | Updated November 9, 2016 - 12:00am 1 7 googleplus2 0


Newly crowned WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao waves to Floyd Mayweather Jr. after beating Jessie Vargas Saturday at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. ABAC CORDERO

LOS ANGELES – Gone were the hostilities, the ill-feelings, the standoff in talks, the drug issues that nearly scuttled the staging of boxing history’s richest fight in May 2015.

Saturday in Las Vegas, Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao were like old buddies with eye contacts, body language, raised hands and eventually the American’s thumbs-up at the close of the Filipino champ’s bout with Jessie Vargas that augured well for the holding of Superfight II.

But it’s only Mayweather who holds the key to a rematch.

READ MORE...

The flamboyant American was at ringside last Saturday when Pacquiao, coming off his own retirement, scored a convincing victory over Vargas at the Thomas & Mack Center.

The presence of the 39-year-old Mayweather, who was 49-0 when he retired for the second time in September last year, during the fight stirred talks of a rematch.

People will keep talking about the rematch until it happens.

And it’s only Mayweather, and no one else, who will decide if he wants to come out of retirement again and face the resurgent Filipino champion in a rematch of their lucrative fight last year.

Before, during and after the Vargas fight, it seemed that Pacquiao and Mayweather were communicating with each other through eye contact and hand signals.

Twice, Pacquiao raised his hand toward Mayweather’s direction.

“They were having eye contact. Yeah, because even after the fight, when Manny stood in that corner and put his hands up for his fans, he looked at Floyd and Floyd gave him the thumbs-up. I saw it,” said Pacquiao’s ring adviser, Michael Koncz.

After the fourth round, a reporter who sat just a few feet away from Mayweather asked the latter how he was seeing the fight, and the American responded.

Mayweather clipped his shoulders, smiled and said, “I’m not a judge.”

Then immediately after the fight, as Pacquiao celebrated on top of the ring and Mayweather prepared to leave, he was again asked what he felt about the fight.

“Not bad,” Mayweather said.

“Yeah, he (Mayweather) said, ‘Not bad.’ But again, you know Floyd’s got a lot on his plate. He’s a busy guy like Manny so we appreciate the fact that he did come.

“You know, I don’t want to make too much of it but I think they both have a lot of respect for each other. That’s the bottom line,” said Koncz here in LA Monday.

Pacquiao has expressed his willingness to do the rematch if the fans want it, hinting that he should be back in the ring between March to May in 2017, when Senate is in recess.

Mayweather has yet to issue a statement whether he’s open to the rematch.

But Bob Arum, who promoted Saturday’s fight, said all signs point to Mayweather coming out of retirement, and hopefully, to face Pacquiao.

“Based on my experience, I feel like (Floyd’s) getting the itch to come back,” Arum told leading entertainment portal TMZ.

Pacquiao did just enough to spark talks of a rematch.

“So, it was a good performance. Now we just have to see what network wants to pick us up because we’re free. We don’t have any contract with Showtime or HBO,” said Koncz.

“And then you know the people think that Manny’s performance was good enough, then hopefully Floyd thinks it was good enough and if the fans want it, then we’ll do hopefully a rematch,” he added.

Koncz had wished for a knockout win by Pacquiao.

“Again as I said earlier I would’ve liked to see more of an aggressive Manny because I want him to put an exclamation mark. But maybe if we would’ve done that, we would’ve scared (inaudible) out of him (Mayweather),” he said.


PHILSTAR

Floyd seeks Freddie’s advice By Joaquin Henson (The Philippine Star) | Updated November 10, 2016 - 12:00am 3 4 googleplus1 0


Floyd Mayweather Jr.

MANILA, Philippines – In what may be a sign of bridging barriers, Floyd Mayweather Jr. visited the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles twice this year and sought out coach Freddie Roach for advice. Roach spoke with Mayweather on his first visit but was in Russia attending to WBA cruiserweight champion Denis Lebedev when the former five-division world champion made a second appearance.

“Floyd dropped by to check out the gym,” Roach told The Star recently. “He looked around and I took him to the new private gym on the ground floor. No, he didn’t work out. Floyd’s actually a nice guy. It’s his father (Floyd Sr.) and uncle (Roger) who’re crazy. I’ve known Floyd since he was a kid.”

READ MORE...

What surprised Roach was Mayweather asking his advice about opening up gyms on a franchise basis. There are now two Wild Card Gyms – the original in Hollywood which opened in 1995 and a second in Santa Monica which started shop in 2013. Roach owns the first gym and co-owns the second, called Wild Card West, with actor/producer/director Peter Berg. Roach said he rarely visits the Santa Monica facility which Berg runs.

“I appreciated Floyd coming over to ask for my advice but I told him I had no time to help because my gym is so busy and I’m looking after a lot of fighters,” said Roach.

According to Roach, Mayweather mentioned plans of opening gyms carrying his name around the world. He said they never talked about the possibility of a rematch with Manny Pacquiao. But a few months ago, in a Los Angeles restaurant, Roach bumped into CBS chairman, president and CEO Les Moonves and the rematch was a hot topic. Moonves is one of the US highest-salaried executives, ranking No. 2 in 2013 with an annual pay of $67 Million.

“I came across Les by accident during dinner,” said Roach. “Les told me let’s do it again, repeating it thrice. I think we can put this together. I told Les I’d talk to Manny about it and Les told me he’d take care of Floyd.” Moonves played a key role in staging the first encounter which Mayweather won on a unanimous decision at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas last year.

Roach said there will be high public interest in a return bout because Pacquiao fought Mayweather with an injured right shoulder and convinced some quarters to believe he deserved to win. Now that Pacquiao’s shoulder is completely healed and he has scored decisive back-to-back wins over Tim Bradley and Jessie Vargas since the Mayweather fight, the fans are curious about a return bout. The curiosity could turn into a clamor.

Roach and his chief assistant Marvin Somodio said Pacquiao will definitely beat Mayweather if and when they meet again. Pacquiao will be well-armed to cut the ring off from Mayweather and break down the shoulder-roll defense with blistering combinations. Mayweather will be 40 next February and hasn’t fought in over a year while Pacquiao turns 38 next month and has kept busy in the ring. The rust is more evident on fighters who are older and have been inactive.

Last Saturday, Mayweather was at ringside as Pacquiao’s guest during the Vargas fight. At one point, Pacquiao looked at Mayweather as Vargas took a boxing lesson, probably a signal to call out for a rematch. Mayweather was later quoted as saying Pacquiao’s performance was “not bad.”

Pacquiao and Mayweather have held private talks in the past. They’ve spoken about how to more effectively manage their careers and how to maximize their earnings. Pacquiao may fight once more before luring Mayweather back into the ring and that could take place in March or April, when the Senate has a recess, against Mexico’s Juan Manuel Marquez. That would also be Pacquiao’s last fight in his Top Rank contract. Then, after Pacquiao becomes a free agent, he’ll no doubt chase Mayweather for a grudge rematch in November when the Senate has another recess.

Mayweather is a win shy of breaking Rocky Marciano’s record of 49-0 as a retired, undefeated world champion. A win over Pacquiao in a rematch would raise his mark to 50-0, a golden milestone.


CONTINUE TO >> NEXT SPORTS BEAT PAGE (coming next week)

GO TO >> HEADLINE NEWS PAGE


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2016 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE