PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE: Since 1997 © Copyright (PHNO) http://newsflash.org


SPORTS NEWS THE PAST WEEKS
(Mini Reads followed by Full Reports below)

WHY ROACH TURNED DOWN CRAWFORD FOR PACQUIAO


OCTOBER 6 -Manny Pacquiao and Terence Crawford
Freddie Roach revealed the reason they went for Jessie Vargas instead of rising star Terence Crawford as Manny Pacquiao’s next opponent. “The fight with Crawford didn't happen, mostly because I wanted to see how this training camp (for Vargas) goes,” Roach recently told Fight Hub TV. So what’s different in this training camp compared to Pacquiao’s previous ones? This marks the first time the Filipino icon is training right after Senate sessions. And Roach, for his part, wants to see first if Pacquiao can indeed be a “fighting senator.” “If it's a good training camp and everything goes well...if being a senator works with his boxing, we'll be okay,” the trainer added. READ MORE..,.

ALSO: Pacquiao blasts Mayweather - ‘Floyd cares only about money’


OCTOBER 6 -Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. after their May 2015 fight in Las Vegas. | AP
MANILA, Philippines – Manny Pacquiao stressed one thing that distinguishes him from Floyd Mayweather Jr. Pacquiao said he fights for the fans, while Mayweather does it only for the money. “I know in his heart, he doesn't have the concern for the fans, his concern is only for money. My concern in not only for money [or] making money from the fans, from the people,” the Filipino icon said in a boxingscene.com report. Pacquiao and Mayweather figured in boxing’s richest fight, which also ended up as a critical failure because it lacked action. It was Pacquiao who pressed the action while Mayweather was contented with just boxing at a distance and clinching his opponent whenever they got close.  READ MORE...

ALSO: Mayweather sued over $1.4M jewelry debt in Vegas


OCTOBER 6 -Floyd Mayweather Jr. | AP
LAS VEGAS — Retired boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. is accused of stiffing a Las Vegas jewelry company for $1.4 million of the cost of a diamond-encrusted necklace he bought the weekend after his last fight, according to a lawsuit filed in Nevada state court. It wasn't immediately clear Tuesday (Wednesday Manila time) if Mayweather or his legal representatives had been served with the civil lawsuit, filed September 23 in Clark County District Court in Las Vegas. Mayweather Promotions chief executive Leonard Ellerbe and Mark Tratos, an attorney in Las Vegas who represents Mayweather in civil cases, didn't immediately respond to messages. The Jewelers Inc. said in court filings that Mayweather paid $1 million when he bought the $3 million necklace consisting of 72 round-cut diamonds in September 2015, and that he made six subsequent $100,000 payments. READ MORE...

ALSO: Vargas says he'll KO Pacquiao in 8 rounds


OCTOBER 8 -Manny Pacquiao and Jessie Vargas. Photo by Lucy Nicholson, Reuters
WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas admits that Manny Pacquiao is the bigger star, which is why he considers the fighting senator as his ticket to superstardom. “I’m ready for the best Manny Pacquiao that will show up on that night, and it’s my time to shine," said the Mexican-American in Philboxing, referring to his November 5 fight date with the Filipino boxer. Vargas, who is 10 years younger than Pacquiao, believes he will not only beat the Filipino, he will also dominate the 8-division boxing champion. “I see Jessie Vargas winning in super fashion. I will stay on top and become a legend myself," he said. Vargas said the key to beating the fleet-footed Pacquiao is to offset his speed.
The reigning WBO champion said he has enough agility to match whatever Pacquiao has. READ MORE...

ALSO: By Joaquin Henson - World tour for Manny?


OCTOBER 9 -Before boxing legends Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson retired from the ring, they went around the globe regaling audiences to cement their legacy as two of the world’s greatest fighters ever. They also pocketed quite a bundle for their bank accounts in the process.
If you ask trainer Freddie Roach, he’d like Manny Pacquiao to do the same thing in the twilight of his boxing career. The problem is Pacquiao is now a Senator and his time to fight has become limited. After Pacquiao faces WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas in a 12-round title bout in Las Vegas on Nov. 5, he has one fight left in his contract with Top Rank chairman Bob Arum. Pacquiao may or may not extend his deal with Arum but it’s his choice. Pacquiao could even decide to fight on his own after his contract with Top Rank expires but that would mean taking over promotional chores. There appears to be no timetable as to when Pacquiao, 37, will hang up his gloves. Assuming he beats Vargas convincingly to regain the WBO crown, Pacquiao may opt to make one defense to fulfil his obligation with Top Rank and that could be a rematch with Floyd Mayweather, Jr. Or the defense, which would be voluntary, could be against another challenger. If Pacquiao decides to promote himself after his Top Rank contract expires, he could then take on Mayweather. It was Mayweather who suggested to Pacquiao years ago to take over his own promotion to increase his share of the money pie. READ MORE...


READ FULL MEDIA REPORTS HERE:

Why Roach turned down Crawford for Pacquiao


Manny Pacquiao and Terence Crawford

MANILA, OCTOBER 10, 2016 (PHILSTAR) October 6, 2016 - 1:36pm - Freddie Roach revealed the reason they went for Jessie Vargas instead of rising star Terence Crawford as Manny Pacquiao’s next opponent.

“The fight with Crawford didn't happen, mostly because I wanted to see how this training camp (for Vargas) goes,” Roach recently told Fight Hub TV.

So what’s different in this training camp compared to Pacquiao’s previous ones? This marks the first time the Filipino icon is training right after Senate sessions.

And Roach, for his part, wants to see first if Pacquiao can indeed be a “fighting senator.”

“If it's a good training camp and everything goes well...if being a senator works with his boxing, we'll be okay,” the trainer added.

READ MORE...

Roach simply doesn’t want to pit Pacquiao against the much dangerous Crawford (29-0, with with 20 KOs) without making sure he can perform well as a boxer while serving in the Senate.

Some boxing observers balked at Vargas’ selection as Pacquiao’s next opponent, claiming Crawford – the unified WBC and WBO super lightweight champion – presents a bigger challenge.

If Pacquiao takes care of Vargas on November 5, Roach said they’ll consider Crawford then.

“I just have to make sure that this is going to work first. If this doesn't work, then we're going to have to make some adjustments and change things a little bit,” he continued.

“But if it does work, then we can fight anybody.” – Dino Maragay


PHILSTAR

Pacquiao blasts Mayweather: ‘Floyd cares only about money’ (philstar.com) | Updated October 4, 2016 - 6:54pm 1 346 googleplus0 1


Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. after their May 2015 fight in Las Vegas. | AP

MANILA, Philippines – Manny Pacquiao stressed one thing that distinguishes him from Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Pacquiao said he fights for the fans, while Mayweather does it only for the money.

“I know in his heart, he doesn't have the concern for the fans, his concern is only for money. My concern in not only for money [or] making money from the fans, from the people,” the Filipino icon said in a boxingscene.com report.

Pacquiao and Mayweather figured in boxing’s richest fight, which also ended up as a critical failure because it lacked action. It was Pacquiao who pressed the action while Mayweather was contented with just boxing at a distance and clinching his opponent whenever they got close.

READ MORE...

Mayweather emerged as the winner by unanimous decision in a dull outing. It was later on revealed that Pacquiao fought with an injured right shoulder.

Pacquiao said it has always been his goal to please the crowd with his exciting style.

“My concern is how I entertain the people, how I entertain the people, how I entertain the fans, he said.

“Of course paying you money for the fight is good, but we have to remember as a fighter that you have a responsibility to make the people happy, make the fans happy,” added Pacquiao, who is set to fight again on November 5, challenging WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas.


PHILSTAR

Mayweather sued over $1.4M jewelry debt in Vegas By Ken Ritter (Associated Press) | Updated October 5, 2016 - 10:36am 6 592 googleplus0 0


Floyd Mayweather Jr. | AP

LAS VEGAS — Retired boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. is accused of stiffing a Las Vegas jewelry company for $1.4 million of the cost of a diamond-encrusted necklace he bought the weekend after his last fight, according to a lawsuit filed in Nevada state court.

It wasn't immediately clear Tuesday (Wednesday Manila time) if Mayweather or his legal representatives had been served with the civil lawsuit, filed September 23 in Clark County District Court in Las Vegas.

Mayweather Promotions chief executive Leonard Ellerbe and Mark Tratos, an attorney in Las Vegas who represents Mayweather in civil cases, didn't immediately respond to messages.

The Jewelers Inc. said in court filings that Mayweather paid $1 million when he bought the $3 million necklace consisting of 72 round-cut diamonds in September 2015, and that he made six subsequent $100,000 payments.

READ MORE...

Each diamond was about 3 carats, according to the lawsuit.

It alleges that Mayweather hasn't made a payment since May, and accuses him of breach of agreement and unjust enrichment.

Ellerbe told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that Mayweather had no comment about the lawsuit.

Mayweather, now 39, was listed by Forbes as the world's highest-paid athlete in 2015, making about $300 million. He also topped the Forbes list in 2012, at $85 million, and 2014, at $105 million.

Estimates were that Mayweather earned a stunning $220 million for his unanimous decision over longtime nemesis Manny Pacquiao from the Philippines in May 2015. He was reported to have taken home another $32 million when he defeated Andre Berto on Sept. 12, 2015, at the MGM Grand arena.

Mayweather finished his career undefeated, at 49-0 with 26 knockouts.

The lawsuit was the second in 11 years filed against Mayweather over jewelry. Records show that a 2005 civil action filed by another jeweler alleging that he failed to pay $124,000 for more than 20 pieces of jewelry was settled in 2006. The terms were not disclosed.

A lawyer who represented the jewelry store in that case has retired and didn't immediately respond to a message.


ABS-CBN

Vargas says he'll KO Pacquiao in 8 rounds ABS-CBN News Posted at Oct 07 2016 08:58 PM


Manny Pacquiao and Jessie Vargas. Photo by Lucy Nicholson, Reuters

WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas admits that Manny Pacquiao is the bigger star, which is why he considers the fighting senator as his ticket to superstardom.

“I’m ready for the best Manny Pacquiao that will show up on that night, and it’s my time to shine," said the Mexican-American in Philboxing, referring to his November 5 fight date with the Filipino boxer.

Vargas, who is 10 years younger than Pacquiao, believes he will not only beat the Filipino, he will also dominate the 8-division boxing champion.

“I see Jessie Vargas winning in super fashion. I will stay on top and become a legend myself," he said.

Vargas said the key to beating the fleet-footed Pacquiao is to offset his speed.

The reigning WBO champion said he has enough agility to match whatever Pacquiao has.

READ MORE...

"We’re going to be faster than him. We know we can match it. We knew that before. That’s a goal of mine, to be faster than Manny Pacquiao. If he was able to reach a certain amount of speed, then I can increase it and take it to another level,” said Vargas.

He said the bout will end via stoppage with him taking the win.

"They want to see knockouts. I’m going to prove everybody wrong once again come November 5th. I’m going to show them I’m the real deal. I’m going for a knockout," said Vargas.

"The minute that he gives me that opening I’m taking it. The 8th round sounds very, very good to me.”


PHILSTAR BY JOAQUIN HENSON

World tour for Manny? SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin M. Henson (The Philippine Star) | Updated October 9, 2016 - 12:00am 0 0 googleplus0 0


By Joaquin M. Henson

Before boxing legends Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson retired from the ring, they went around the globe regaling audiences to cement their legacy as two of the world’s greatest fighters ever. They also pocketed quite a bundle for their bank accounts in the process.

If you ask trainer Freddie Roach, he’d like Manny Pacquiao to do the same thing in the twilight of his boxing career. The problem is Pacquiao is now a Senator and his time to fight has become limited. After Pacquiao faces WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas in a 12-round title bout in Las Vegas on Nov. 5, he has one fight left in his contract with Top Rank chairman Bob Arum. Pacquiao may or may not extend his deal with Arum but it’s his choice. Pacquiao could even decide to fight on his own after his contract with Top Rank expires but that would mean taking over promotional chores.

There appears to be no timetable as to when Pacquiao, 37, will hang up his gloves. Assuming he beats Vargas convincingly to regain the WBO crown, Pacquiao may opt to make one defense to fulfil his obligation with Top Rank and that could be a rematch with Floyd Mayweather, Jr. Or the defense, which would be voluntary, could be against another challenger. If Pacquiao decides to promote himself after his Top Rank contract expires, he could then take on Mayweather. It was Mayweather who suggested to Pacquiao years ago to take over his own promotion to increase his share of the money pie.

READ MORE...

* * * *

Roach said if Pacquiao finds the time, it would be a fitting farewell if the Filipino icon fights in key cities around the world where he is idolized. So far, Pacquiao has fought only in Japan, Thailand, Macau and the US outside of the Philippines. He is widely popular in England which he visited to promote his Las Vegas fight against Manchester’s Ricky Hatton in 2009.

“A world tour could make a lot of money for Manny,” said Roach. “He could fight the best from each country he visits. That could be his farewell tour.” Time is the obstacle as Pacquiao is committed to his work as Senator and will fight only when there are breaks in the sessions. Roach said it would be a treat for fans in different countries to watch Pacquiao in action before he retires particularly as no other fighter in the world has captured world titles in eight weight divisions. It’s a record that will likely never be matched or broken.

In Ali’s case, he retired in 1981 after losing to Trevor Berbick in Nassau, Bahamas. Ali’s first fight outside the US was against Henry Cooper in London in 1963. He fought thrice in London and also saw action in Toronto, Frankfurt, Zurich, Tokyo, Vancouver, Dublin, Jakarta, Kinshasha, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, San Juan (Puerto Rico) and Munich.

* * * *

Robinson was 44 when he had his last fight in 1965, a year where he logged 14 bouts. Nearing the end of his career, the former world welterweight and middleweight champion toured the world to bring his boxing act to international audiences. In 1965, he battled Stan Harrington twice in Honolulu and fought in Kingston, Jamaica and Lazio, Italy. Throughout his career that spanned 198 bouts, Robinson displayed his wares in Marseille, Nice, London, Paris, Paisley (Scotland), Grenoble, Brussels, Lyon, Sto. Domingo (Dominican Republic), Vienna, Trinidad and Tobago, Turin, Berlin, Liege (Belgium), Antwerp (Belgium), Zurich, Frankfurt and Geneva.

Pacquiao was invited to compete at the recent Rio Olympics and it was rumored he would be given a wildcard invitation to enter the lightwelterweight division. He seriously considered to join, particularly as the Philippines has never won an Olympic gold medal since its debut in the Summer Games in 1924.

There would be no money involved but Pacquiao thought of the honor he could bring to the country if he participated. In the end, Pacquiao declined to fight because by then, he had been voted a Senator and there wouldn’t have been enough time to train for the Olympics. An Olympic stint would’ve catapulted Pacquiao into even more global recognition.

Roach said he would’ve accompanied Pacquiao to Rio if he decided to fight but was relieved the plan was scuttled. “Pros aren’t used to fighting three rounds under amateur rules,” he said. “It would’ve entailed a major adjustment.”

In the Olympics, fighters are weighed in on the morning of each fight and to reach the finals, Pacquiao would’ve appeared in five bouts over a two-week period. In the pros, fighters are weighed the day before the fight. Still, the consensus is if Pacquiao had set his mind to it, no doubt, he would’ve won the gold for the Philippines.

The age limit for boxing in the Olympics is 40 so Pacquiao would no longer be eligible to compete in Tokyo in 2020.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2016 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE