PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE: Since 1997 © Copyright (PHNO) http://newsflash.org

SPORTS NEWS THE PAST WEEKS
(Mini Reads followed by Full Reports below)

PACQUIAO LONG-TIME ADVISER DEFENDS SELECTION OF BRADLEY


JANUARY 13 -Manny Pacquiao and Tim Bradley in this file photo.
Manny Pacquiao’s longtime adviser defended the selection of Timothy Bradley to be the Filipino icon’s next and final opponent, saying it was a sound financial decision. In a report by boxingscene.com’s Steve Kim, Mike Koncz bared that he has negotiated with British star Amir Khan and even considered doing the same with Adrien Broner, a protégé of Floyd Mayweather Jr. But Koncz said a rubber match with Bradley made the most sense financially. “We looked at what was the best financial package for Manny and I was dealing with Amir Khan. I kept him posted as much as I could. I even let him know what we had to pay Bradley to fight in the hopes that he may become more realistic in his purse,” Pacquiao’s Canadian adviser told Kim. Having split their first two fights, Pacquiao and Bradley will settle the score on April 9 (April 10 Manila time) at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Bradley’s selection has been met with criticism from boxing observers and fans, who claimed that the American does not deserve another shot at Pacquiao. READ MORE...

ALSO Veteran Boxing commentator: Fans no longer interested in Mayweather-Pacquiao rematch


JANUARY 12 -Veteran boxing commentator Al Bernstein says fans would no longer be interested in another fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.
 Boxing fans would not want to see another fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.
That’s how veteran boxing commentator Al Bernstein sees it. Speaking recently to On The Ropes Boxing Radio, the 65-year-old sportscaster said not even an impressive Pacquiao outing against Timothy Bradley would make fans clamor for a Mayweather-Pacquiao rematch. The two superstars figured in boxing’s richest fight ever in May last year, but that bout turned out to be a critical disappointment. After defeating Pacquiao via an uneventful unanimous decision, Mayweather fought once more and beat Andre Berto in September before announcing his retirement. Pacquiao, for his part, will take on Bradley this April in what he claims to be the last fight of his career. But his longtime promoter, Bob Arum, won’t market Pacquiao-Bradley 3 as the Filipino icon’s last fight. READ MORE...

ALSO: Pacquiao needs required medical clearance before fight


JANUARY 13 -Manny Pacquiao
Manny Pacquiao is going to be re-examined by the renowned doctor who performed the operation on his right shoulder last year as a part of the requirement for him to return to the ring against Tim Bradley on April 9 in Las Vegas. The checkup will be done in Los Angeles, during a break when Pacquiao goes on a two-city promotional tour of LA and New York City next week. Aside from Dr. Neal Elattrache, another doctor will examine the 37-year-old Pacquiao as a prerequisite for all boxers seeing action in the US. Pacquiao sustained a right rotator cuff injury during his megabuck matchup with Floyd Mayweather in May last year and he underwent an operation to repair it four days after losing a 12-round decision. An MRI was done on the right shoulder months later and the results showed that it had fully healed, making the examination next week as a mere formality to fulfill the mandate of the Nevada Athletic Commission. Mike Koncz, the Canadian adviser of Pacquiao, is arriving in Manila today from Los Angeles to set the stage for Pacquiao’s whirlwind stay in the US next week. READ MORE...

ALSO: Stallone - Pacquiao still a great fighter


JANUARY 15 -'Creed' star Sylvester Stallone is interviewed by Sky Sports in this screen grab. | Screen grab from Sky Sports' video
Hollywood star Sylvester Stallone remains a huge fan of Manny Pacquiao.
This is despite the obvious decline in Pacquiao’s boxing ability, with the Filipino icon being a veteran of many professional fights. Stallone was ringside when Pacquiao lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas last year, a bout that ended up as the richest in boxing history. To the 69-year-old actor, however, Pacquiao remains an elite boxer. In a recent interview with Adam Smith and Johnny Nelson of Sky Sports, Stallone once again praised the Filipino. "I still think Manny Pacquiao is a great, great, great fighter," he said. READ MORE...

ALSO: Crawford says Bradley deserves Pacquiao fight


JANUARY 14 -Terence Crawford (rightmost) says he supports the third fight between Timothy Bradley and Manny Pacquiao. | File photo
Manny Pacquiao may have picked Timothy Bradley instead of him, but everything’s fine for Terence Crawford.
Crawford, the current WBO super lightweight champion and one of boxing’s rising stars, will instead fight another opponent in Hank Lundy on February 27. He has no problem with Bradley – whom he considers as a close friend – getting a rubber match with Pacquiao. "I’m happy Tim got it," Crawford said in a report by Keith Idec of NorthJersey.com. Crawford, Bradley and Amir Khan were the other choices for Pacquiao’s final fight on April 9 in Las Vegas. Bradley eventually won the sweepstakes, with Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz saying Pacquiao-Bradley 3 would bring the best financial package for the Filipino icon. The 28-year-old Crawford may have missed a career-high payday in taking on Pacquiao, but he said Bradley deserves another crack at the superstar. "Tim deserves it. Tim is one of those fighters who’s been putting his life on the line his whole career, beat a lot of good fighters and did a lot of great things in boxing, and never got the credit he deserves. Never," he continued. After talks between Pacquiao and Khan’s camp fell through, the field had been narrowed down to Bradley and Crawford, both of whom fight under Top Rank. But Crawford insisted they haven’t been approached for the fight, hinting the risk he poses to the older Pacquiao. "That was a red flag right there," said Crawford, who is undefeated in 27 bouts, with 19 knockouts. "So it was like, ‘All right, let’s focus on something else.’ If they [Pacquiao camp] call, then we’re already training,” he added. THE FULL REPORT.


READ FULL MEDIA REPORTS HERE:

Pacquiao adviser defends selection of Bradley


Manny Pacquiao and Tim Bradley in this file photo.

MANILA, JANUARY 18, 2016 (PHILSTAR) January 13, 2016 -Manny Pacquiao’s longtime adviser defended the selection of Timothy Bradley to be the Filipino icon’s next and final opponent, saying it was a sound financial decision.

In a report by boxingscene.com’s Steve Kim, Mike Koncz bared that he has negotiated with British star Amir Khan and even considered doing the same with Adrien Broner, a protégé of Floyd Mayweather Jr.

But Koncz said a rubber match with Bradley made the most sense financially.

“We looked at what was the best financial package for Manny and I was dealing with Amir Khan. I kept him posted as much as I could. I even let him know what we had to pay Bradley to fight in the hopes that he may become more realistic in his purse,” Pacquiao’s Canadian adviser told Kim.


Manny with Mike Koncz

Having split their first two fights, Pacquiao and Bradley will settle the score on April 9 (April 10 Manila time) at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Bradley’s selection has been met with criticism from boxing observers and fans, who claimed that the American does not deserve another shot at Pacquiao.

READ MORE...

Bradley escaped with a controversial decision in their first meeting in 2012, while Pacquiao exacted payback in the rematch two years later. Many think Pacquiao should have won both fights.

But Bradley’s name continued to pop up along with Khan and rising star Terence Crawford, and the fighter known as “The Desert Storm” eventually landed the Pacquiao fight.

Koncz, for his part, also admitted considering the brash Broner to be his boss’ opponent.

“And I was even contemplating Adrien Broner but we had to look at everything in a package deal and fortunately – or unfortunately – the best package financially I could get for Manny was a rematch with Bradley,” he added.

Pacquiao is set to earn at least $20 million in the rubber match with Bradley, and because both boxers belong to Top Rank Inc., the promotional firm will be able to maximize profits from the bout. – Dino Maragay


PHILSTAR

Veteran Boxing commentator Bernstein: No interest in Mayweather-Pacquiao rematch (philstar.com) | Updated January 12, 2016 - 1:10pm 5 10 googleplus0 0


Veteran boxing commentator Al Bernstein says fans would no longer be interested in another fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

MANILA, Philippines – Boxing fans would not want to see another fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

That’s how veteran boxing commentator Al Bernstein sees it.

Speaking recently to On The Ropes Boxing Radio, the 65-year-old sportscaster said not even an impressive Pacquiao outing against Timothy Bradley would make fans clamor for a Mayweather-Pacquiao rematch.

The two superstars figured in boxing’s richest fight ever in May last year, but that bout turned out to be a critical disappointment.

After defeating Pacquiao via an uneventful unanimous decision, Mayweather fought once more and beat Andre Berto in September before announcing his retirement.

Pacquiao, for his part, will take on Bradley this April in what he claims to be the last fight of his career. But his longtime promoter, Bob Arum, won’t market Pacquiao-Bradley 3 as the Filipino icon’s last fight.

READ MORE...

Arum earlier said that Pacquiao can end up fighting again in November this year, and Mayweather’s name again popped up.

Mayweather and Pacquiao took home career-high purses fighting each other, salaries they won’t earn against other boxers. This has fueled speculations that the two fighters are bound to do it again.

But Bernstein claimed boxing fans would no longer buy it.

“I can’t even imagine people being that interested in it, even if Pacquiao is brilliant against Bradley,” he said. – Dino Maragay


MANILA BULLETIN

Pacquiao needs medical clearance before fight by Nick Giongco January 13, 2016 Share8 Tweet0 Share0 Email1 Share30


Manny Pacquiao

Manny Pacquiao is going to be re-examined by the renowned doctor who performed the operation on his right shoulder last year as a part of the requirement for him to return to the ring against Tim Bradley on April 9 in Las Vegas.

The checkup will be done in Los Angeles, during a break when Pacquiao goes on a two-city promotional tour of LA and New York City next week.

Aside from Dr. Neal Elattrache, another doctor will examine the 37-year-old Pacquiao as a prerequisite for all boxers seeing action in the US.

Pacquiao sustained a right rotator cuff injury during his megabuck matchup with Floyd Mayweather in May last year and he underwent an operation to repair it four days after losing a 12-round decision.

An MRI was done on the right shoulder months later and the results showed that it had fully healed, making the examination next week as a mere formality to fulfill the mandate of the Nevada Athletic Commission.

Mike Koncz, the Canadian adviser of Pacquiao, is arriving in Manila today from Los Angeles to set the stage for Pacquiao’s whirlwind stay in the US next week.

READ MORE...

To drum up interest for his rubber match with Bradley that will be held at the MGM Grand, Pacquiao, Bradley and Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum are hosting a press conference at the Beverly Hills Hotel on Jan. 19.

The medical checkups will then follow before Pacquiao and Bradley and the traveling circus proceed to New York City for another presser at Madison Square Garden on Jan. 21.

From the Big Apple, Arum said Bradley will head back to his native Palm Springs in Southern California, while Pacquiao will take a flight straight to Manila.

Koncz said “it will be up to Manila to decide where he will spend the early part of his training camp.”

But Koncz believes General Santos City will be the ideal place after thumbing down suggestions that Pacquiao could return to Baguio City or set up camp in Manila instead.

“Regardless of where we are going, there’d be people coming to visit but in General Santos City, we will have control,” said Koncz.


PHILSTAR

Stallone: Pacquiao still a great fighter By Dino Maragay (philstar.com) | Updated January 15, 2016 - 2:18pm 2 447 googleplus0 0


'Creed' star Sylvester Stallone is interviewed by Sky Sports in this screen grab. | Screen grab from Sky Sports' video

MANILA, Philippines – Hollywood star Sylvester Stallone remains a huge fan of Manny Pacquiao.

This is despite the obvious decline in Pacquiao’s boxing ability, with the Filipino icon being a veteran of many professional fights.

Stallone was ringside when Pacquiao lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas last year, a bout that ended up as the richest in boxing history.

To the 69-year-old actor, however, Pacquiao remains an elite boxer.

In a recent interview with Adam Smith and Johnny Nelson of Sky Sports, Stallone once again praised the Filipino.

"I still think Manny Pacquiao is a great, great, great fighter," he said.

READ MORE...

Pacquiao will fight for the last time in April against Timothy Bradley, capping off an illustrious boxing career spanning over 20 years. Along the way, he has captured the hearts of many fans, including Stallone’s.

“[Pacquiao] used to come from like 98 pounds and did whatever he did,” Stallone added, obviously aware of Pacquiao’s boxing feats that include a record eight world titles in as many weight classes.

In the interview, Stallone talked in detail about his latest film “Creed,” for which he has been nominated as Best Supporting Actor at this year’s Academy Awards for his role as Rocky Balboa.

Interestingly, Stallone got an Oscar Best Actor nomination for the same iconic role almost 40 years ago – in 1976, in the first “Rocky” film.

For his work in “Creed”, Stallone already won the Best Supporting Actor plum at the recent Golden Globes.

Notwithstanding Stallone’s success in the film industry, boxing has a special place in the actor’s heart.

Apparently, so does Pacquiao.


PHILSTAR

Crawford says Bradley deserves Pacquiao fight By Dino Maragay (philstar.com) | Updated January 14, 2016 - 12:41pm 2 68 googleplus0 0


Terence Crawford (rightmost) says he supports the third fight between Timothy Bradley and Manny Pacquiao. | File photo

MANILA, Philippines – Manny Pacquiao may have picked Timothy Bradley instead of him, but everything’s fine for Terence Crawford.

Crawford, the current WBO super lightweight champion and one of boxing’s rising stars, will instead fight another opponent in Hank Lundy on February 27.

He has no problem with Bradley – whom he considers as a close friend – getting a rubber match with Pacquiao.

"I’m happy Tim got it," Crawford said in a report by Keith Idec of NorthJersey.com.

Crawford, Bradley and Amir Khan were the other choices for Pacquiao’s final fight on April 9 in Las Vegas. Bradley eventually won the sweepstakes, with Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz saying Pacquiao-Bradley 3 would bring the best financial package for the Filipino icon.

The 28-year-old Crawford may have missed a career-high payday in taking on Pacquiao, but he said Bradley deserves another crack at the superstar.

"Tim deserves it. Tim is one of those fighters who’s been putting his life on the line his whole career, beat a lot of good fighters and did a lot of great things in boxing, and never got the credit he deserves. Never," he continued.

After talks between Pacquiao and Khan’s camp fell through, the field had been narrowed down to Bradley and Crawford, both of whom fight under Top Rank.

But Crawford insisted they haven’t been approached for the fight, hinting the risk he poses to the older Pacquiao.

"That was a red flag right there," said Crawford, who is undefeated in 27 bouts, with 19 knockouts.

"So it was like, ‘All right, let’s focus on something else.’ If they [Pacquiao camp] call, then we’re already training,” he added.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2015 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE