SPORTS NEWS THIS PAST WEEK

PACQUIAO WILLING TO MOVE ON WITHOUT MAYWEATHER 


Manny Pacquiao is ready to move on if a fight between him Floyd Mayweather won’t be finalized by the end of the month.
Trainer Freddie Roach though rued the fact that their options beyond the undefeated American are limited. In a boxingscene.com report by Bill Emes, Roach stressed the need for Pacquiao to stay busy, with the fighting congressman reportedly set to see action in April and November. The world hopes the first bout would finally be against Mayweather. Pacquiao himself said it will be known within this month if the super fight is a go. READ MORE...

ALSO: What’s keeping Mayweather? Nobody knows


PHOTO: Floyd Mayweather Jr. MANILA, Philippines - Nobody knows what’s keeping Floyd Mayweather Jr. from putting his name above dotted line and sealing the fight with Manny Pacquiao. Earlier this week, the Pacquiao camp said it has agreed to the terms of the fight – from the date to the venue and a 60-40 share of the purse. Mayweather set the terms, most if not all. Now that Pacquiao has accepted them, all that’s needed is for the American boxer to put his thumbs up. Everybody involved in the negotiations is saying the fight is “close to happening.”  READ MORE...

(ALSO) Pacquiao to Floyd: Sign contract now


MANILA, Philippines - Manny Pacquiao’s message to Floyd Mayweather Jr. is plain and simple. US-based media outfit TMZ Sports caught up with the Filipino icon in New York City, where his team is reportedly finalizing discussions for a megabuck duel with Mayweather. TMZ Sports, in a video posted on YouTube, asked Pacquiao what he wants to tell the undefeated Mayweather. “Sign the contract,” Pacquiao said as he continued to head to the building entrance. The TMZ crew tried to get more from the fighting congressman, asking him about his favorite monetary possession. It was in reference to Mayweather’s penchant for boasting on social media about his own material possessions. READ MORE...


READ FULL MEDIA NEWS REPORT:

Pacquiao willing to move on without Mayweather


Manny Pacquiao (right) and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

MANILA, JANUARY 19, 2015  (PHILSTAR) Manny Pacquiao is ready to move on if a fight between him Floyd Mayweather won’t be finalized by the end of the month.

Trainer Freddie Roach though rued the fact that their options beyond the undefeated American are limited.

In a boxingscene.com report by Bill Emes, Roach stressed the need for Pacquiao to stay busy, with the fighting congressman reportedly set to see action in April and November. The world hopes the first bout would finally be against Mayweather.

Pacquiao himself said it will be known within this month if the super fight is a go.

If it’s not Mayweather, Roach has yet to name an alternative opponent for his ward.

“If another fight comes along, we're not going to sit here and wait for this guy. Activity is very important. I just don't know who's next. The pool is shallow. We don't have a lot of choices out there,” said the trainer.

Lurking in the background are Amir Khan and former Mayweather foe Marcos Maidana, both of whom have expressed desire to tangle with Pacquiao. Then there’s the unbeaten Danny Garcia, the explosive WBC and WBA super welterweight champion.

But a Pacquiao fight against any of the above mentioned fighters will definitely pale in comparison to a Mayweather showdown, which is expected to shatter boxing pay-per-view records.

Roach, for his part, remains optimistic the fight the world wants to see will happen.

“If it doesn't happen, I think it will be disappointing for the whole world. I like to give the fans what they want. I liked good fights just like everyone else in the world. Let's hope it happens,” he said. – Dino Maragay


FROM PHILSTAR

What’s keeping Mayweather? Nobody knows By Abac Cordero (The Philippine Star) | Updated January 18, 2015 - 12:00am 1 0 googleplus0 0


Floyd Mayweather Jr.

MANILA, Philippines - Nobody knows what’s keeping Floyd Mayweather Jr. from putting his name above dotted line and sealing the fight with Manny Pacquiao.

Earlier this week, the Pacquiao camp said it has agreed to the terms of the fight – from the date to the venue and a 60-40 share of the purse.

Mayweather set the terms, most if not all. Now that Pacquiao has accepted them, all that’s needed is for the American boxer to put his thumbs up.

Everybody involved in the negotiations is saying the fight is “close to happening.”

The latest to say so is Stephen Espinoza, executive vice president and general manager of Showtime Sports, which holds the rights to air Mayweather fights.

Pacquiao is hooked up with HBO.

It could be the last piece of the giant puzzle – how Showtime and HBO could work together in airing the fight that could generate as much as $300 million in revenues.

It’s been done before when Showtime and HBO carried the Mike Tyson versus Lennox Lewis on June 2002 in Memphis, Tennessee.

Pacquiao was in the undercard of that fight. He knocked out Jorge Eliecer Julio in the second round and kept his IBF super-bantamweight title.

Nobody knows if Mayweather has agreed to make the fight but is just waiting for Showtime and HBO to come to terms before he makes an announcement.

Mayweather is the boss. He will say “Yes” when he wants to.

“Floyd is more motivated than ever to get this fight done,” Espinoza told the Las Vegas Review Journal.

Everybody is motivated.

“We at CBS/Showtime are equally motivated,” Espinoza added.

Bob Arum of Top Rank sat down with Pacquiao in Los Angeles the other day. They’re just waiting for Mayweather’s decision.

Pacquiao dared Mayweather to sign the fight contract.

But Pacquiao can’t wait until the end of time because Arum said if the Mayweather fight doesn’t materialize, Pacquiao may fight in April.

“I think Bob was trying to put some pressure on Floyd, but the truth is you don’t need to put pressure on Floyd,” said Espinoza.

Mayweather, the Showtime executive added, has his eyes and ears on what’s going on.

“He truly wants this fight. He and (manager) Al (Haymon) talk two, three times a day. So Floyd’s very aware of what’s going on,” he told the Las Vegas Review Journal.

Yet, he won’t sign.


FROM PHILSTAR

Pacquiao to Floyd: Sign contract now (The Philippine Star) | Updated January 18, 2015 - 12:00am 0 0 googleplus0 0

MANILA, Philippines - Manny Pacquiao’s message to Floyd Mayweather Jr. is plain and simple.

US-based media outfit TMZ Sports caught up with the Filipino icon in New York City, where his team is reportedly finalizing discussions for a megabuck duel with Mayweather.

TMZ Sports, in a video posted on YouTube, asked Pacquiao what he wants to tell the undefeated Mayweather.

“Sign the contract,” Pacquiao said as he continued to head to the building entrance.

The TMZ crew tried to get more from the fighting congressman, asking him about his favorite monetary possession. It was in reference to Mayweather’s penchant for boasting on social media about his own material possessions.

Pacquiao ignored the question. Instead, his close adviser, Mike Koncz, responded to it.

“That’s bragging, and we don’t brag,” Koncz said.

Top Rank chief Bob Arum recently said Pacquiao has agreed to the terms to fight Mayweather, while a close associate of the unbeaten American, Sam Watson, is upbeat that Mayweather will also give his nod soon.

For his part, Stephen Espinoza – a top executive of TV network Showtime, which airs Mayweather’s bouts – said Mayweather wants Pacquiao more than ever and that they are making progress on the negotiating table.

All Pacquiao wants is Mayweather’s signature. – Dino Maragay/Contributor


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2014 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE