SPORTS NEWS THIS PAST WEEK

PACMAN VS FLOYD TALKS STILL ON 

Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. MANILA, JANUARY 2, 2015  (PHILSTAR) By Abac Cordero - Here’s something to greet the New Year on a positive note: Negotiations are still on for Manny Pacquiao versus Floyd Mayweather Jr. Pacquiao’s adviser, Mike Koncz, said they’re working on the fight, contrary to what other people think, and they’re moving in the right direction. “We’re still in negotiations with Floyd’s group through Top Rank,” Koncz told Lem Satterfield of Ring Magazine as the world welcomed 2015. Everybody wants the fight to happen this year. Koncz said talks are on and that he has updated Pacquiao on the developments. He did not say what the discussions are about but it’s got something to do with money. READ FULL REPORT...

ALSO Report: Mayweather dangles $40M to Cotto for rematch

Floyd Mayweather Jr. (right) is reportedly offering Miguel Cotto $40 million to face him in a rematch. AP file photo  MANILA, Philippines – The camp of Floyd Mayweather Jr. has reportedly offered $40 million to Miguel Cotto for a rematch next year. According to a report by El Vocero de Puerto Rico, Mayweather made the move in an effort to lure Cotto out of a possible showdown with Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on May 2 next year – the same date Mayweather plans to fight on. The undefeated American outpointed Cotto in 2012, but the Puerto Rican made a good account of himself. And Cotto’s adviser, Gaby Penagaricano, recently told thesportpress.com that they’re also open to a rematch with Mayweather. ---Incidentally, the $40 million Mayweather reportedly offered to Cotto was the same amount dangled to Manny Pacquiao by the American a few years ago. Pacquiao rejected it. READ FULL REPORT...

ALSO TWEETING: Manny to Floyd: Let’s make ‘Fistory’ 

Manny Pacquiao tells Floyd Mayweather: "Let's not drop the ball on fighting each other next year!" MANILA, Philippines – Manny Pacquiao welcomed 2015 by again calling out Floyd Mayweather Jr. The Filipino icon took to Twitter to challenge Mayweather to a showdown this year, even coming up with the hashtag “#LetsMakeFistory”. Pacquiao had been very vocal about his desire to fight Mayweather in what is expected to be the richest fight in boxing history. After dominating Chris Algieri in Macau last November, the fighting congressman insisted he wants the undefeated American next. Talks are reportedly ongoing to arrange the megabout, and Mayweather recently gained attention after he himself called out Pacquiao to face him in a May 2 bout. – Dino Maragay FULL RE[PORT...

Mosley picks Floyd over Manny Pacquiao 

Having fought the two men and lost to both of them, Shane Mosley feels that Floyd Mayweather has a slight advantage over Manny Pacquiao in the event they wound up facing each other in 2015. Mosley went 12 full rounds with Mayweather in 2010 and did the same thing versus Pacquiao in 2011.pacman Although he lost by lopsided scores, Mosley rocked Mayweather in the second round with a right hand, sending fight fans on the edge of their seats. Against Pacquiao, Mosley didn’t even come close to even landing a single power shot as the Filipino was the one who threw them, including a sneaky left to the jaw in the third round that sent the American down, dazed and bewildered. READ FULL REPORT...


READ FULL MEDIA REPORTS HERE:

Pacman vs Floyd talks still on


Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

MANILA, JANUARY 2, 2015  (PHILSTAR) By Abac Cordero - Here’s something to greet the New Year on a positive note: Negotiations are still on for Manny Pacquiao versus Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Pacquiao’s adviser, Mike Koncz, said they’re working on the fight, contrary to what other people think, and they’re moving in the right direction.

“We’re still in negotiations with Floyd’s group through Top Rank,” Koncz told Lem Satterfield of Ring Magazine as the world welcomed 2015.

Everybody wants the fight to happen this year.

Koncz said talks are on and that he has updated Pacquiao on the developments. He did not say what the discussions are about but it’s got something to do with money.

Koncz recently said that before they discuss anything else like the date, venue and weight, “We have to see how the financial negotiations go.”

The fight could generate at least $200 million in revenues. How to split the purse is something that could take weeks or even months to agree on.

Mayweather once offered Pacquiao $40 million all in to do the fight. But the Filipino boxer turned it down, saying it’s not a fair deal.

Recently, Mayweather said he’s now ready to fight Pacquiao but stated clearly that it would be under his own terms.

“Then let’s do it,” said Pacquiao, adding that, “I’m not after material things.”

An investment group from Abu Dhabi has offered $200 million to host the fight, and $120 million should go to Mayweather.

Koncz did not say if they’re considering the offer because it’s not likely that Mayweather would fight Pacquiao outside Las Vegas.

“I spoke to Manny this morning. I gave Manny what is perceived to be a counter offer from the Mayweather people,” Koncz told Satterfield.

Koncz said Top Rank chief Bob Arum is on it.

“We discussed it and now I’ve given instruction to Bob to counter their counter. We’ve been going back and forth. Bob has been negotiating with the powers that be on Floyd’s side for the past couple of weeks.

There’s been offers and counter offers, and a couple of days ago Bob called me and gave me allegedly where Floyd’s side is, and I discussed that with Manny two hours ago,” said Koncz.

“Now I’ve given Bob our response to that. I’m never overly optimistic until the contract is signed, but the good thing is that we’re still going back and forth,” he added.


FROM PHILSTAR

Report: Mayweather dangles $40M to Cotto for rematch (philstar.com) | Updated December 30, 2014 - 2:02pm 8 158 googleplus0 0


Floyd Mayweather Jr. (right) is reportedly offering Miguel Cotto $40 million to face him in a rematch.
AP file photo

"The reality is that there is no agreement yet, none, for any fight. We are in talks, but to say that an agreement has been made is not true," Penagaricano told Rey Colon of thesportpress.com.

While Mayweather defeated Cotto via unanimous decision, Pacquiao stopped the Puerto Rican star in the 12th round of their 2009 tussle. Cotto has since rebounded from those setbacks and now holds the WBC middleweight title.

That championship belt could be appealing to Mayweather, and Cotto’s camp isn’t discounting another meeting with him.

"A fight with Mayweather has not been totally ruled out. We must see first what will happen with this fight [Mayweather vs. Pacquiao], but it [rematch with Mayweather] could be a possibility. It's an interesting fight," he added.

Incidentally, the $40 million Mayweather reportedly offered to Cotto was the same amount dangled to Manny Pacquiao by the American a few years ago. Pacquiao rejected it.

If the offer is true and Cotto ends up accepting it, this will effectively take the highly anticipated duel between Mayweather and Pacquiao out of the picture. The Filipino icon had been calling out Mayweather since destroying Chris Algieri in Macau last month, and talks are reportedly ongoing between the two camps to make the mega bout happen.

Mayweather, for his part, responded by challenging Pacquiao to fight him on May 2, the same date reportedly penciled for Cotto-Alvarez.

Now, it seems the fight the world badly wants to see faces another roadblock. – Dino Maragay


FROM PHILSTAR

Manny to Floyd: Let’s make ‘Fistory’ (philstar.com) | Updated January 1, 2015 - 1:53pm 15 4 googleplus0 0


Manny Pacquiao tells Floyd Mayweather: "Let's not drop the ball on fighting each other next year!"

MANILA, Philippines – Manny Pacquiao welcomed 2015 by again calling out Floyd Mayweather Jr.

The Filipino icon took to Twitter to challenge Mayweather to a showdown this year, even coming up with the hashtag “#LetsMakeFistory”.

Pacquiao had been very vocal about his desire to fight Mayweather in what is expected to be the richest fight in boxing history. After dominating Chris Algieri in Macau last November, the fighting congressman insisted he wants the undefeated American next.

Talks are reportedly ongoing to arrange the megabout, and Mayweather recently gained attention after he himself called out Pacquiao to face him in a May 2 bout. – Dino Maragay


FROM THE MANILA BULLETIN

Mosley picks Floyd over Manny Pacquiao by Nick Giongco January 1, 2015 Share this:


MANNY

Having fought the two men and lost to both of them, Shane Mosley feels that Floyd Mayweather has a slight advantage over Manny Pacquiao in the event they wound up facing each other in 2015.

Mosley went 12 full rounds with Mayweather in 2010 and did the same thing versus Pacquiao in 2011.pacman

Although he lost by lopsided scores, Mosley rocked Mayweather in the second round with a right hand, sending fight fans on the edge of their seats.

Against Pacquiao, Mosley didn’t even come close to even landing a single power shot as the Filipino was the one who threw them, including a sneaky left to the jaw in the third round that sent the American down, dazed and bewildered.

From then onwards, Mosley opted to backpedal in an effort to not getting struck again.

Still, Mosley believes Mayweather’s ring generalship will be vital.

“I give the slight edge to Money Mayweather because of his ability to move and get out the way and make it hard for Manny Pacquiao to find him,” Mosley told boxingscene.

Despite criticisms that Mayweather doesn’t punch hard, Mosley thinks otherwise.

“Money Mayweather has a little bit of punching power as well. It’s not like he doesn’t hit hard. He’s not the hardest hitter but he’s not the softest. I think it will be a great fight.”

In the end, Mosley says Mayweather’s hand will be raised but cautions that Pacquiao “definitely has a chance.”

MORE NEWS COMING...


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2014 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE