MICK JAGGER: IS THIS ROCK LEGEND JINXING WORLD CUP TEAMS?

RIO DE JANEIRO --The Rolling Stones’ Mick Jagger can’t get no soccer satisfaction. In what’s becoming something of a modern World Cup tradition, Brazilians are closely following every team the 70-year-old rock star supports with an eye at mocking him for apparently casting bad spells on his picks. Italy was the latest victim of what local media have taken to calling Jagger’s “pe frio” — a term describing the bad luck that he brings teams that translates literally as “cold foot.” At a concert in Rome on Saturday night, Jagger predicted to 70,000 fans that four-time World Cup champion Italy would pull off a clutch victory over Uruguay to advance to the knockout phase. The Italians lost 1-0 Tuesday and were headed home after the tournament’s first round. At a show in Lisbon in May, the singer predicted that Portugal, led by Cristiano Ronaldo, the game’s top player heading into the World Cup, would win it all at the month-long tournament in Brazil. Portugal is on the brink of elimination after failing to win in its first two group matches. Earlier in the World Cup, Jagger suffered some good-hearted ridicule after taking to Twitter on June 19 to urge on his native England in a game, also with Uruguay. “Let’s go England! This is the one to win!!,” he wrote. England lost. While Brazilians may laugh at Jagger, they love his music. The Stones’ 2006 concert on Copacabana beach in Rio de Janeiro drew an estimated 1 million people, a lot more than the 20,000 or so that pack the beach now to watch World Cup games on a giant screen. Jagger also loves Brazilians, having fathered one 15 years ago with former Brazilian model Luciana Gimenez. Brazilians’ obsession with Jagger’s soccer insights, or lack thereof, began four years ago at the World Cup in South Africa. Searching for an explanation for their country’s stunning quarterfinal loss to the Netherlands, Brazil’s fans settled on Jagger, who showed up at the stadium accompanying his son dressed in a Brazilian jersey. READ MORE...

Pain-free Tiger feels great, no reinjury fear, returns to competition

JUNE 25  -BETHESDA: Tiger Woods returns to competition on Thursday (Friday in Manila) saying he is pain free and healthy for the first time in two years and eager to add to his 14 major titles. The 38-year-old American, sidelined for three months following back surgery to ease a pinched nerve, begins his comeback at the $6.5 million US PGA National at Congressional Country Club. “I’m actually probably ahead of schedule, where everyone thought I would be at,” Woods said. “It has been a very, very long time, probably a good two years since I’ve felt this way.” Woods admitted on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila) that he probably would not have returned this week if it were not an event that benefits his charity foundation, his original goal having been to return in three weeks at the British Open at Royal Liverpool. “We all thought the British Open would be my first event back, but I healed fast,” said Woods, who credited his physical therapists and attention to nutrition with speeding his recovery. Woods, who was toppled from atop the world rankings last month and is rated fifth this week, says that despite the nagging knee, leg and back injuries that have bothered him in recent years, he sees only minimal risk of reinjuring himself by returning sooner than first planned. “I’m going to get stronger as time goes on,” Woods said. “The risk is minimal, and just like it is with every round we play, we can hit behind a tree root and damage something . . . I’m no different in that regard.” Woods last lifted a major trophy at the 2008 US Open. He confirmed that he plans to resume his quest to pass the all-time record of 18 major titles won by Jack Nicklaus in the British Open next month at Royal Liverpool, where he won the Claret Jug in 2006. This week, Woods is aiming at winning his first title in 13 months and 80th career PGA crown. AFP THIS IS THE FULL REPORT.

(ALSO) TIMES COLUMN: Money to get Money, Manny in the ring

By Conrad M. Cariño (photo) There was news last week that Prince Amir Shafipour of the Royal Family of the United Arab Emirates has been authorized to negotiate for the long-awaited dream match between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. In an article posted in the Australian edition website of the International Business Times written by Vittorio Hernandez and citing ABS-CBN, it was stated that, “In fact, the president and royal family of UAE, Khalifa Bin Zayed AL Nahyan, gave the go ahead signal for Prince Amir Shafipour, the emirate’s boxing promoter, to conduct talks for the possible holding of the much-anticipated 2015 bout in Dubai.” According to forbes.com, Al Nahyan, “also runs the world’s second-largest sovereign wealth fund, with reported assets of $627 billion.” So it’s a no-brainer that the Royal Family has the money to get Pacquiao and Mayweather to fight. So what can we boxing fans and writers expect next? My answer: it’s worth watching for the next developments. Assuring both fighters a guaranteed purse of $50 million each is chicken feed to the Royal Family, and perhaps another $50 million for the winner can be considered. But let’s face it—getting a boxing bout between two superstars of the sport can prove to be a headache, because gone are the days when the superstars just wanted to “get it on” and prove who is the better fighter. I am speaking of the era when Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Marvin Hag–ler and Wilfredo Benitez simply wanted to prove who among them were the best. They treated us to fights that were unforgettable, with Hagler-Hearns proving to be the best, and Duran-Hearns turning out to be nearly tragic because Duran lost via second round knockout. READ MORE...

ALSO: Bob Arum skeptical about Pacquiao-Floyd fight in Dubai

Top Rank Inc. CEO Bob Arum played down a report that a prince of the United Arab Emirates is interested in staging the highly anticipated Manny Pacquiao- Floyd Mayweather match in Dubai. According to an earlier report, the president and royal family of the United Arab Emirates have given the green light to hold talks for a possible staging of the mega-fight in Dubai. Prince Amir Shafipour also expressed confidence that they have the formula to bring to the negotiating table the handlers for both Pacquiao and Mayweather. But in an exclusive interview with ABS-CBN North America Bureau, Arum pointed out his previous experiences with Middle East promoters. “I don't know who this fellow is and he's never talked to me or anybody in the Pacquiao camp. But over the years, we have met more alleged princes from Dubai than there are princes from Dubai," Arum said, recalling a man who once presented himself as a prince "started hanging out" with Pacquiao's business adviser Michael Koncz and gave him an iPhone. "But he was as much a prince as you are,” he said. “The last guy says he was a prince from Dubai. Turned out he was born from Brooklyn, New York.” According to the report, Prince Amir has yet to leave for the United States to finalize the negotiations but expects to do so in in the next two to three weeks. But Arum is generally suspicious, noting that he has dealt with "phonies" before. “It’s a scam," he said, but quickly added: "I don't know about this fellow. Maybe he is honest, maybe he is not honest.” While Arum has his doubts, he said he is willing to talk to Prince Amir for the dream match to happen. “If they're legitimate, why wouldn't we be willing to talk with them and negotiate with them? But I’m very, very skeptical,” he said. READ MORE...


READ FULL MEDIA REPORTS HERE:

Is this rock legend jinxing World Cup teams?


Mick Jagger
In this June 4, 2014 file photo, Rolling Stones singer Mick Jagger performs during a concert in Hayrkon Park in Tel Aviv, Israel. In what’s fast becoming something of a modern World Cup tradition, Brazilians are closely following every team the 70-year-old rock star supports with an eye for mocking the alleged spell he casts on every team he picks. Brazilian media has taken to calling his pick, Jagger’s “pe frio” a term describing the bad luck he brings teams that translates literally as “cold foot.” AP


RIO DE JANEIRO
, JUNE 30, 2014 (INQUIRER) Associated Press - The Rolling Stones’ Mick Jagger can’t get no soccer satisfaction.

In what’s becoming something of a modern World Cup tradition, Brazilians are closely following every team the 70-year-old rock star supports with an eye at mocking him for apparently casting bad spells on his picks.

Italy was the latest victim of what local media have taken to calling Jagger’s “pe frio” — a term describing the bad luck that he brings teams that translates literally as “cold foot.”

At a concert in Rome on Saturday night, Jagger predicted to 70,000 fans that four-time World Cup champion Italy would pull off a clutch victory over Uruguay to advance to the knockout phase. The Italians lost 1-0 Tuesday and were headed home after the tournament’s first round.

At a show in Lisbon in May, the singer predicted that Portugal, led by Cristiano Ronaldo, the game’s top player heading into the World Cup, would win it all at the month-long tournament in Brazil. Portugal is on the brink of elimination after failing to win in its first two group matches.

Earlier in the World Cup, Jagger suffered some good-hearted ridicule after taking to Twitter on June 19 to urge on his native England in a game, also with Uruguay. “Let’s go England! This is the one to win!!,” he wrote. England lost.

While Brazilians may laugh at Jagger, they love his music. The Stones’ 2006 concert on Copacabana beach in Rio de Janeiro drew an estimated 1 million people, a lot more than the 20,000 or so that pack the beach now to watch World Cup games on a giant screen.

Jagger also loves Brazilians, having fathered one 15 years ago with former Brazilian model Luciana Gimenez.

Brazilians’ obsession with Jagger’s soccer insights, or lack thereof, began four years ago at the World Cup in South Africa. Searching for an explanation for their country’s stunning quarterfinal loss to the Netherlands, Brazil’s fans settled on Jagger, who showed up at the stadium accompanying his son dressed in a Brazilian jersey.

Earlier in that tournament, he had already earned a reputation for losing picks by showing up in the stands with Bill Clinton to cheer on the United States, which lost to Ghana in the second round, and then a day later watched as England was trounced by Germany 4-1.

Whether Jagger tempts fate and offers up another prediction this World Cup is anyone’s guess.

But if he does, Brazilians are begging it’s not for them. Within hours of Italy’s defeat Tuesday, social media was buzzing with pleas for the rocker to keep quiet, or better yet, lend his reverse rabbit’s foot to the country’s despised rival, Argentina.

Pain-free Tiger feels great, no reinjury fear June 25, 2014 10:27 pm


Tiger Woods AFP PHOTO

BETHESDA: Tiger Woods returns to competition on Thursday (Friday in Manila) saying he is pain free and healthy for the first time in two years and eager to add to his 14 major titles.

The 38-year-old American, sidelined for three months following back surgery to ease a pinched nerve, begins his comeback at the $6.5 million US PGA National at Congressional Country Club.

“I’m actually probably ahead of schedule, where everyone thought I would be at,” Woods said. “It has been a very, very long time, probably a good two years since I’ve felt this way.”

Woods admitted on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila) that he probably would not have returned this week if it were not an event that benefits his charity foundation, his original goal having been to return in three weeks at the British Open at Royal Liverpool.

“We all thought the British Open would be my first event back, but I healed fast,” said Woods, who credited his physical therapists and attention to nutrition with speeding his recovery.

Woods, who was toppled from atop the world rankings last month and is rated fifth this week, says that despite the nagging knee, leg and back injuries that have bothered him in recent years, he sees only minimal risk of reinjuring himself by returning sooner than first planned.

“I’m going to get stronger as time goes on,” Woods said. “The risk is minimal, and just like it is with every round we play, we can hit behind a tree root and damage something . . . I’m no different in that regard.”

Woods last lifted a major trophy at the 2008 US Open. He confirmed that he plans to resume his quest to pass the all-time record of 18 major titles won by Jack Nicklaus in the British Open next month at Royal Liverpool, where he won the Claret Jug in 2006.

This week, Woods is aiming at winning his first title in 13 months and 80th career PGA crown. AFP

FROM THE MANILA TIMES

Money to get Money, Manny in the ring Conrad M. Cariño  June 18, 2014 11:06 pm


Conrad M. Cariño

There was news last week that Prince Amir Shafipour of the Royal Family of the United Arab Emirates has been authorized to negotiate for the long-awaited dream match between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

In an article posted in the Australian edition website of the International Business Times written by Vittorio Hernandez and citing ABS-CBN, it was stated that, “In fact, the president and royal family of UAE, Khalifa Bin Zayed AL Nahyan, gave the go ahead signal for Prince Amir Shafipour, the emirate’s boxing promoter, to conduct talks for the possible holding of the much-anticipated 2015 bout in Dubai.”

According to forbes.com, Al Nahyan, “also runs the world’s second-largest sovereign wealth fund, with reported assets of $627 billion.” So it’s a no-brainer that the Royal Family has the money to get Pacquiao and Mayweather to fight.

So what can we boxing fans and writers expect next? My answer: it’s worth watching for the next developments.

Assuring both fighters a guaranteed purse of $50 million each is chicken feed to the Royal Family, and perhaps another $50 million for the winner can be considered.

But let’s face it—getting a boxing bout between two superstars of the sport can prove to be a headache, because gone are the days when the superstars just wanted to “get it on” and prove who is the better fighter.

I am speaking of the era when Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Marvin Hag–ler and Wilfredo Benitez simply wanted to prove who among them were the best. They treated us to fights that were unforgettable, with Hagler-Hearns proving to be the best, and Duran-Hearns turning out to be nearly tragic because Duran lost via second round knockout.

Fast forward now and money seems to rule how fights materialize at the elite level. If Mayweather and Pacquiao were fighting in the era of Hearns and company, they would have had no choice but to square off immediately with the best or be written off the picture for good.

But hey, we should be all happy that boxers are the highest paid sports stars today, because it is no joke taking those repeated blows to the head and body for the sake of making fans happy.

If Mayweather and Pac–quiao’s representatives allow the Prince to spearhead the staging of the fight between the two titans, I believe we can see a fight in 2015.

But here I go again—May–weather still holds an edge in a fight against Pacquiao.

If this fight was staged between 2008 and 2010, I would have given Pacquiao more than a 50-percent chance to beat Mayweather. But times have changed.

From a business standpoint though, I would like to see how the Prince swings the deal to have the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight materialize by 2015.

With about six months away from 2015, Mayweather would be wise enough to avoid any tough opposition prior to fighting Pacquiao. As for Pacquiao, I suggest he forget about coaching a basketball team in the Philippine Basketball Association if he wants to mount a serious challenge against Mayweather.

Obviously the Royal Family also has agenda in pushing Pacquiao-Mayweather: make Dubai the new mecca of boxing. Well, they have the money, logistics and what have you. They just need one big fight to make a big statement to boxing fans.

FROM ABS-CBN

Bob Arum skeptical about Pacquiao-Floyd fight in Dubai By Bev Llorente, ABS-CBN North America News Bureau Posted at 06/12/2014 4:38 PM | Updated as of 06/12/2014 4:47 PM

LAS VEGAS, Nevada -- Top Rank Inc. CEO Bob Arum played down a report that a prince of the United Arab Emirates is interested in staging the highly anticipated Manny Pacquiao- Floyd Mayweather match in Dubai.

According to an earlier report, the president and royal family of the United Arab Emirates have given the green light to hold talks for a possible staging of the mega-fight in Dubai.

Prince Amir Shafipour also expressed confidence that they have the formula to bring to the negotiating table the handlers for both Pacquiao and Mayweather.

But in an exclusive interview with ABS-CBN North America Bureau, Arum pointed out his previous experiences with Middle East promoters.

“I don't know who this fellow is and he's never talked to me or anybody in the Pacquiao camp. But over the years, we have met more alleged princes from Dubai than there are princes from Dubai," Arum said, recalling a man who once presented himself as a prince "started hanging out" with Pacquiao's business adviser Michael Koncz and gave him an iPhone.

"But he was as much a prince as you are,” he said. “The last guy says he was a prince from Dubai. Turned out he was born from Brooklyn, New York.”

According to the report, Prince Amir has yet to leave for the United States to finalize the negotiations but expects to do so in in the next two to three weeks.

But Arum is generally suspicious, noting that he has dealt with "phonies" before.

“It’s a scam," he said, but quickly added: "I don't know about this fellow. Maybe he is honest, maybe he is not honest.”

While Arum has his doubts, he said he is willing to talk to Prince Amir for the dream match to happen.

“If they're legitimate, why wouldn't we be willing to talk with them and negotiate with them? But I’m very, very skeptical,” he said.

On Marquez

Meanwhile, Arum also denied rumors that fighter Juan Manuel Marquez is demanding $20 million for a fifth fight with Pacquiao.

He said there is no truth to these speculations as he is still trying to get the Mexican to discuss business.

“Marquez hasn’t asked for $2 million, $10 million or $20 million. He has never asked for anything or discuss the fight with us. Those stories are also made up. Marquez was supposed to meet up with me in New York last weekend at the Cotto fight. He couldn’t make it because there was a death in his family,” he said.

“I haven’t talked at all with Marquez. That’s just made-up nonsense and they’re negotiating on the Internet,” he said.

Arum confirmed that he and Pacquiao will officially discuss details about the boxer’s next fight on the last week of June.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2014 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE