RUSSIAN PROVODNIKOV LOOMS AS OPPONENT FOR PACQUIAO IN NOV BOUT

Top Rank boss Bob Arum named on Tuesday the top 3 boxers whom eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao would battle on Nov 8 at the Cotai Arena in Macau. First on the list is Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez, followed by Russian Ruslan Provodnikov and a boxer from Golden Boy Promotions. Fresh from his victory against Mike Alvarado, Marquez has not committed to a fifth match against Pacquiao, but Arum is slated to meet with Marquez whom he invited to Macau next week to watch the fight on Sunday between Filipino boxer Nonito Donaire Jr and Simpiwe Vetyeka. If Marquez says no, the next option is Provodnikov who has a bout on HBO versus Chris Algieri when he defends his WBO light-welterweight title. Vadim Komilov, Provodnikov's manager, confirmed to Worldboxingnews that the bout against Pacquiao has high chances of happening. The Russian boxer told WBN, "I'm looking forward to a big fight in the fall. Whomever it is, I want to get one of the top opponents in the 140-147 weight class." From Golden Boy, the possible match is British boxer Amir Khan.THIS IS THE FULL REPORT.

ALSO: KO king eyed against Pacquiao

Argentine knockout king Luis Carlos Abregu is dying to square off with Filipino star Manny Pacquiao, who is hunting for an opponent for a Nov. 23 fight set in Macau. Abregu, 30, told worldboxingnews that he is delighted that Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum has mentioned him as a candidate to land the Pacquiao jackpot in an event penciled for The Venetian. “It makes me really happy to be considered… since last year, I have been waiting for my chance and now is the moment to prove why I’m on top of the rankings,” said Abregu, who holds a 36-1 win-loss record with 29 KOs. Abregu’s most recognizable foe was Tim Bradley, who was recently beaten in a rematch by Pacquiao. Bradley had outpointed Abregu in July 2010 but Abregu believes he has improved tremendously and assures everyone that he deserves the opportunity to face a top-shelf foe like Pacquiao. Like Pacquiao, the 5-10 Abregu is also promoted by Top Rank and it won’t be a surprise if he ends up getting signed to face Pacquiao in the former Portuguese colony later this year. Since losing to Bradley, Abregu, rated highly in the welterweight ranks, has racked up seven straight wins, stopping six. Also in the short list of Pacquiao rivals include Danny Garcia and Jesse Vargas.THIS IS THE FULL REPORT.

ALSO: Mayweather is now highest-paid athlete

New York— Undefeated boxing superstar Floyd Mayweather was named the highest-paid athlete in sports Wednesday by Forbes magazine, bumping off 2013 winner Tiger Woods by amassing $105 million in net revenue. Mayweather also topped the list with $85 million in 2012, ending 14-time major golf champion Woods’ run atop the 100-athlete list from 2001-2011. This time, Mayweather joined Woods as the only ones to top $100 million on the Forbes list, thanks to victories over Canelo Alvarez last September and Marcos Maidana last month, and did it with only 72 minutes of work and with no endorsement income. The magazine measures endorsement income as well as prize money and salary payments from June 1 of one year to the next. Mayweather’s win over Alvarez set pay-per-view records with $200 million in total revenue, although his 2007 victory over Oscar de la Hoya remains the most watched fight in boxing history. Mayweather, who has been paid nearly $400 million since turning pro in 1996, has three fights remaining in a six-bout deal with Showtime he signed last year. Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo leads 15 footballers in the top 100 and ranks second overall with $80 million in earnings. It includes $28 million in endorsement income from 11 sponsors as well as the five-year deal worth $200 million he signed with Real Madrid last September. NBA superstar LeBron James, trying to win a third consecutive title with the Miami Heat in the ongoing NBA Finals against San Antonio, ranked third on $72.3 million. He is the NBA’s top endorsement moneyspinner and sales of his shoe line topped $300 million last year.THIS IS THE FULL REPORT.

(ALSO) Manny's adviser Koncz: No to Marquez, Algieri

MANNY Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz has debunked reports that newly crowned World Boxing Organization lightwelterweight champion Chris Algieri is the likely opponent for the Fighter of the Decade’s scheduled Nov. 22 fight in Macau, while indicating that a fifth fight with Juan Manuel Marquez, was never even considered. Koncz, who returned to Los Angeles after joining Pacquiao and his family in vacation in Irsael, said the Filipino icon, who went on to Italy, had no plans of going to the US as mentioned by Top Rank promoter Bob Arum. A lot of media attention is being paid Algieri, who was dropped twice in the opening round, but fought back to win a 12-round split decision over rugged Russian beast Ruslan Provodnikov at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York last week. But Koncz told the Manila Standard “Algieri is not in our sights.” The adviser also revealed that Pacquiao was not going to Los Angeles to discuss his next fight with Arum, who last Tuesday underwent surgery to replace his painful right knee. At the same time, Koncz somewhat surprisingly said they were “never thinking about or interested in a fight with Juan Manuel Marquez,” who reportedly had asked for $20 million to fight Pacquiao for a fifth time following his stunning sixth-round knockout in their last encounter in December 2012. The consensus is that Marquez, who refused to face Pacquiao for a $13-million fee, but instead faced Timothy Bradley and lost a 12-round decision, is pricing himself out of the market because he doesn’t wish to undergo the mandatory drug tests conducted by the Volunteer Anti Doping Agency. Koncz earlier told the Manila Standard they would insist on the random drug tests, following the outcome of their last fight in which Marquez looked unusually big and strong in coming back from the brink of being knocked out in Round 5 to score an unbelievable sixth-round knockout. THIS IS THE FULL REPORT.


READ FULL MEDIA REPORTS HERE:

Ruslan Provodnikov Looms as Opponent of Manny Pacquiao in November Bout


REUTERS Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines waves to fans from a ring in the lobby of the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada April 8, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus

MANILA, JUNE 23, 2014 (ibtimes.com) POSTED MAY 28, 2014 By Vittorio Hernandez - Top Rank boss Bob Arum named on Tuesday the top 3 boxers whom eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao would battle on Nov 8 at the Cotai Arena in Macau.

First on the list is Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez, followed by Russian Ruslan Provodnikov and a boxer from Golden Boy Promotions.

Fresh from his victory against Mike Alvarado, Marquez has not committed to a fifth match against Pacquiao, but Arum is slated to meet with Marquez whom he invited to Macau next week to watch the fight on Sunday between Filipino boxer Nonito Donaire Jr and Simpiwe Vetyeka.

If Marquez says no, the next option is Provodnikov who has a bout on HBO versus Chris Algieri when he defends his WBO light-welterweight title. Vadim Komilov, Provodnikov's manager, confirmed to Worldboxingnews that the bout against Pacquiao has high chances of happening.

The Russian boxer told WBN, "I'm looking forward to a big fight in the fall. Whomever it is, I want to get one of the top opponents in the 140-147 weight class."

From Golden Boy, the possible match is British boxer Amir Khan.

FROM THE MANILA BULLETIN

KO king eyed against Pacquiao by Nick Giongco June 13, 2014


Luis Carlos Abregu

Argentine knockout king Luis Carlos Abregu is dying to square off with Filipino star Manny Pacquiao, who is hunting for an opponent for a Nov. 23 fight set in Macau.

Abregu, 30, told worldboxingnews that he is delighted that Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum has mentioned him as a candidate to land the Pacquiao jackpot in an event penciled for The Venetian.

“It makes me really happy to be considered… since last year, I have been waiting for my chance and now is the moment to prove why I’m on top of the rankings,” said Abregu, who holds a 36-1 win-loss record with 29 KOs.

Abregu’s most recognizable foe was Tim Bradley, who was recently beaten in a rematch by Pacquiao.

Bradley had outpointed Abregu in July 2010 but Abregu believes he has improved tremendously and assures everyone that he deserves the opportunity to face a top-shelf foe like Pacquiao.

Like Pacquiao, the 5-10 Abregu is also promoted by Top Rank and it won’t be a surprise if he ends up getting signed to face Pacquiao in the former Portuguese colony later this year.

Since losing to Bradley, Abregu, rated highly in the welterweight ranks, has racked up seven straight wins, stopping six.

Also in the short list of Pacquiao rivals include Danny Garcia and Jesse Vargas.

Mayweather is now highest-paid athlete by AFP June 12, 2014 MANILA DAILY BULLETIN


Floyd Mayweather

New York— Undefeated boxing superstar Floyd Mayweather was named the highest-paid athlete in sports Wednesday by Forbes magazine, bumping off 2013 winner Tiger Woods by amassing $105 million in net revenue.

Mayweather also topped the list with $85 million in 2012, ending 14-time major golf champion Woods’ run atop the 100-athlete list from 2001-2011.

This time, Mayweather joined Woods as the only ones to top $100 million on the Forbes list, thanks to victories over Canelo Alvarez last September and Marcos Maidana last month, and did it with only 72 minutes of work and with no endorsement income.

The magazine measures endorsement income as well as prize money and salary payments from June 1 of one year to the next.

Mayweather’s win over Alvarez set pay-per-view records with $200 million in total revenue, although his 2007 victory over Oscar de la Hoya remains the most watched fight in boxing history.

Mayweather, who has been paid nearly $400 million since turning pro in 1996, has three fights remaining in a six-bout deal with Showtime he signed last year.

Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo leads 15 footballers in the top 100 and ranks second overall with $80 million in earnings. It includes $28 million in endorsement income from 11 sponsors as well as the five-year deal worth $200 million he signed with Real Madrid last September.

NBA superstar LeBron James, trying to win a third consecutive title with the Miami Heat in the ongoing NBA Finals against San Antonio, ranked third on $72.3 million. He is the NBA’s top endorsement moneyspinner and sales of his shoe line topped $300 million last year.

FROM THE MANILA STANDARD

Koncz: No to Marquez, Algieri By Ronnie Nathanielsz | Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:01am


Juan Manuel Marquez (left) was never on Manny Pacquiao’s radar, says the Filipino’s adviser Michael Koncz, who also rejected Chris Algieri as a possible Pacman foe.

MANNY Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz has debunked reports that newly crowned World Boxing Organization lightwelterweight champion Chris Algieri is the likely opponent for the Fighter of the Decade’s scheduled Nov. 22 fight in Macau, while indicating that a fifth fight with Juan Manuel Marquez, was never even considered.

Koncz, who returned to Los Angeles after joining Pacquiao and his family in vacation in Irsael, said the Filipino icon, who went on to Italy, had no plans of going to the US as mentioned by Top Rank promoter Bob Arum.

A lot of media attention is being paid Algieri, who was dropped twice in the opening round, but fought back to win a 12-round split decision over rugged Russian beast Ruslan Provodnikov at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York last week.

But Koncz told the Manila Standard “Algieri is not in our sights.” The adviser also revealed that Pacquiao was not going to Los Angeles to discuss his next fight with Arum, who last Tuesday underwent surgery to replace his painful right knee.

At the same time, Koncz somewhat surprisingly said they were “never thinking about or interested in a fight with Juan Manuel Marquez,” who reportedly had asked for $20 million to fight Pacquiao for a fifth time following his stunning sixth-round knockout in their last encounter in December 2012.

The consensus is that Marquez, who refused to face Pacquiao for a $13-million fee, but instead faced Timothy Bradley and lost a 12-round decision, is pricing himself out of the market because he doesn’t wish to undergo the mandatory drug tests conducted by the Volunteer Anti Doping Agency.

Koncz earlier told the Manila Standard they would insist on the random drug tests, following the outcome of their last fight in which Marquez looked unusually big and strong in coming back from the brink of being knocked out in Round 5 to score an unbelievable sixth-round knockout.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2014 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE