MARQUEZ WANTS $20M TO FIGHT PACQUIAO


What will it take for Juan Manuel Marquez to fight Manny Pacquiao again? A cool $20 million, according to Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach, in an interview with thesweetscience.com. Roach said the Mexican legend’s unrealistic demand indicates his reluctance to tangle with Pacquiao for the fifth time on Nov. 23 in Macau. Marquez’s previous highest purse was $6 million when he fought and pulled off a stunning sixth-round knockout of Pacquiao in their fourth tussle in 2012. In his last fight against Mike Alvarado last month, Marquez received only $1.5 million. However, the $20-million deal Marquez presented to Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum is not yet final, according to Roach. Boxing pundits say the 82-year-old Arum, an astute negotiator, should be able to convince Marquez to sign up for a purse of between $10 million and $15 million. Roach said he believes that Marquez now deserves a $10-million payday. He added that the Mexican’s reluctance to fight Pacquiao is not only about his prize purse. Marquez, Roach said, wants to preserve his legacy as the man who knocked out Pacquiao. THIS IS THE FULL REPORT.

(ALSO) Algieri’s promoter: If no Pacquiao fight, we’ll give Provodnikov a rematch

Joe Deguardia, the promoter for newly crowned WBO light welterweight champion Chris Algieri (20-0, 8 KO’s), says that he’s open to giving the beaten Ruslan Provodnikov (23-3, 16 KO’s) a rematch for later this year if they don’t get a big fight against Manny Pacquiao in November. That’s the first choice that Deguardia wants for Algieri, and he feels confident that Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank will agree to put together a fight between the Filipino star and Algieri. DeGuardia believes that a fight between the two of them would be a huge fight due in part to Algieri’s background. “That’s the fight [Algieri-Pacquiao] that’s out there. Bob Arum spoke about it,” Deguardia said. “He [Arum] saw the potential of a Pacquiao-Algieri fight. Huge…I’d love to see a rematch [between Provodnikov and Algieri] take place. Obviously, I’d like to see the Pacquiao fight take place first. I think Chris beats him easier the next time.” A Pacquiao-Algieri fight would bring in a great deal of interest on the East Coast of the United States due to Algieri living in New York. It’s a fight that would be easier on Pacquiao than it would be for him to take on some dangerous punchers at 140 or 147, There wouldn’t have to be a catch-weight handicap for Pacquiao like there would be if he were to fight Miguel Cotto or Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, and it’s a fight that would be pretty easy and straightforward for Arum to put together. Algieri is articulate, and that would help in the build up to the fight because there wouldn’t be the language barrier slowing things down. READ MORE...

(ALSO) Roach: I’m going to ask Pacquiao to move down to 140

Trainer Freddie Roach says he’s going to ask his fighter Manny Pacquiao (56-5-2, 38 KO’s) to move down to 140 in order to see if he can get his missing knockout power back. Pacquiao hasn’t knocked out an opponent in the past five years in fighting in the 147lb division, and Roach believes the knockout drought is caused by a combination of Pacquiao fighting in the wrong division that his body wasn’t intended to be fighting in, and due to his advancing age. Roach feels that the 35-year-old Pacquiao will do much better at light welterweight where he previously knocked out Ricky Hatton in 2009. The only fighters that Pacquiao has knocked out in the welterweight division were Miguel Cotto and a weight-drained Oscar De La Hoya, who was at the very end of his career when he took that fight. “Manny Pacquiao – he’s not a great puncher at 147 like everyone thinks,” Roach said to maxboxing. “Everyone says he’s not getting the knockouts like with Hatton and those knockouts were at 135 and 140. I’m going to ask him if we can fight at 140 because that’s a better weight for him. He has no trouble making 140…he’s fighting these bigger, stronger guys. Bradley was at least 160 going into that ring.” Roach might want to run this by Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum, because I have a feeling that he’s not going to like the idea of Pacquiao moving down to 140, where Arum is thin in terms of having big name fighters in his stable. By having Pacquiao stay at 147, Arum can match him in another pot of gold fight against Juan Manuel Marquez. But if Pacquiao moves back down to 140, Arum’s options for him consist of Jessie Vargas, Khabib Allakhverdiev, Brandon Rios and Ruslan Provodnikov. None of those guys would likely bring in more than 450, 000 to 500,000 pay-per-view buys at best. I see Arum vetoing Roach’s idea of having Pacquiao move down to the light welterweight or lightweight divisions to try and extend his career. READ MORE...

ALSO: Why not Provodnikov?

While we look forward to April 12 as the day that brings us closure on Manny Pacquiao, Tim Bradley, and the most controversial decision in recent memory, Top Rank has already put together the next challenge for whoever comes out on top between their two welterweight workhorses. Juan Manuel Marquez and Mike Alvarado will be in the ring together on May 17 at a catchweight of 143 pounds with the victor facing the winner of Pacquioa-Bradley 2. Those of us familiar with Top Rank’s stable of fighters in the junior-welterweight and welterweight divisions might see this as a fairly logical development, but I have one question for which I can’t find an easy answer: why is Ruslan Provodnikov not in the mix? With all due respect to Mike Alvarado, in a more just world it would be Provodnikov taking on Marquez instead of the Denver native. Provodnikov is coming off the biggest win of his career over none other than Alvarado himself. Their fight last October was close until it wasn’t. After 7 rounds of back and forth action, Provodniko took complete control before stopping Alvarado on the stool after the 10th. He proved himself the stronger fighter. Unlike Brandon Rios’ stoppage of Alvarado the first time they met back in 2012, I doubt Alvarado will be asking for a rematch with Provodnikov anytime soon. To me that’s reason enough for the Siberian Rocky to be in line for the chance to face the winner of Pacquiao-Bradley, but beyond that fighter-to-fighter basis, I think Provodnikov-Marquez makes more sense for both Ruslan and Mike and their long-term careers. There’s not much left for Ruslan to do at 140 where he has a belt. His first title defense is scheduled for June 14th, but who is he going to fight that’s worthy of a title shot? A fight with Brandon Rios would be about as fan-friendly as it can get, but Bob Arum has publicly stated that he doubts Rios can make 140. Antonio DeMarco’s name has been floated around, as well as Hank Lundy’s. Karim Mayfield would be a good test, but he already has a bout scheduled with Thomas Dulorme on March 29 and probably wouldn’t take a fight of this magnitude with such a quick turnaround. I think Provodnikov could stay at the top of the heap of the Top Rank stable at 140 for quite some time, but there’s an absence of fighters there at his level. CONTINUE READING...


READ FULL MEDIA REPORTS HERE:

Marquez wants $20M to fight Pacquiao again


Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez. AP File Photo

MANILA, JUNE 16, 2014 (INQUIRER)  By Roy Luarca — What will it take for Juan Manuel Marquez to fight Manny Pacquiao again?

A cool $20 million, according to Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach, in an interview with thesweetscience.com.

Roach said the Mexican legend’s unrealistic demand indicates his reluctance to tangle with Pacquiao for the fifth time on Nov. 23 in Macau.

Marquez’s previous highest purse was $6 million when he fought and pulled off a stunning sixth-round knockout of Pacquiao in their fourth tussle in 2012.

In his last fight against Mike Alvarado last month, Marquez received only $1.5 million.

However, the $20-million deal Marquez presented to Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum is not yet final, according to Roach.

Boxing pundits say the 82-year-old Arum, an astute negotiator, should be able to convince Marquez to sign up for a purse of between $10 million and $15 million.

Roach said he believes that Marquez now deserves a $10-million payday. He added that the Mexican’s reluctance to fight Pacquiao is not only about his prize purse.

Marquez, Roach said, wants to preserve his legacy as the man who knocked out Pacquiao.

FROM BOXINGNEWS 24

Algieri’s promoter: If no Pacquiao fight, we’ll give Provodnikov a rematch June 15th, 2014 By Chris Williams

Joe Deguardia, the promoter for newly crowned WBO light welterweight champion Chris Algieri (20-0, 8 KO’s), says that he’s open to giving the beaten Ruslan Provodnikov (23-3, 16 KO’s) a rematch for later this year if they don’t get a big fight against Manny Pacquiao in November.

That’s the first choice that Deguardia wants for Algieri, and he feels confident that Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank will agree to put together a fight between the Filipino star and Algieri. DeGuardia believes that a fight between the two of them would be a huge fight due in part to Algieri’s background.

“That’s the fight [Algieri-Pacquiao] that’s out there. Bob Arum spoke about it,” Deguardia said. “He [Arum] saw the potential of a Pacquiao-Algieri fight. Huge…I’d love to see a rematch [between Provodnikov and Algieri] take place. Obviously, I’d like to see the Pacquiao fight take place first. I think Chris beats him easier the next time.”

A Pacquiao-Algieri fight would bring in a great deal of interest on the East Coast of the United States due to Algieri living in New York. It’s a fight that would be easier on Pacquiao than it would be for him to take on some dangerous punchers at 140 or 147, There wouldn’t have to be a catch-weight handicap for Pacquiao like there would be if he were to fight Miguel Cotto or Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, and it’s a fight that would be pretty easy and straightforward for Arum to put together. Algieri is articulate, and that would help in the build up to the fight because there wouldn’t be the language barrier slowing things down.

If Algieri were to get the Pacquiao fight, it would mean that he would beat out the other contestants – Juan Manuel Marquez, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, Danny Garcia, and Miguel Cotto – to get the fight. Algieri already eliminated Provodnikov from the running for the Pacquiao fight by out-boxing him by a 12 round split decision last Saturday night in their fight at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

It might not be in Provodnikov’s best interest to try and fight Algieri a second time, because he seemed to figure out Provodnikov’s style after the 1st round and he was able to get out of the way of most of his attempts to land his left hook after that round. Provodnikov can’t afford to lose a second time to Algieri, so he should move on and find a tailor-made opponent like Brandon Rios or Marcos Maidana for him to fight next.

I personally think Maidana would destroy Provodnikov, and I think Rios would give him a lot of problems too with his combination punching. But those are definitely guys that are made for his style. Whether he has the talent to beat them is another thing. If he loses to Rios and/or Maidana, he would have to come up with another excuse instead of the ‘I don’t like to fight guys that run.’

Roach: I’m going to ask Pacquiao to move down to 140
April 17th, 2014 | Post Comment - 261 Comments

By Chris Williams: Trainer Freddie Roach says he’s going to ask his fighter Manny Pacquiao (56-5-2, 38 KO’s) to move down to 140 in order to see if he can get his missing knockout power back. Pacquiao hasn’t knocked out an opponent in the past five years in fighting in the 147lb division, and Roach believes the knockout drought is caused by a combination of Pacquiao fighting in the wrong division that his body wasn’t intended to be fighting in, and due to his advancing age.

Roach feels that the 35-year-old Pacquiao will do much better at light welterweight where he previously knocked out Ricky Hatton in 2009. The only fighters that Pacquiao has knocked out in the welterweight division were Miguel Cotto and a weight-drained Oscar De La Hoya, who was at the very end of his career when he took that fight.

“Manny Pacquiao – he’s not a great puncher at 147 like everyone thinks,” Roach said to maxboxing. “Everyone says he’s not getting the knockouts like with Hatton and those knockouts were at 135 and 140. I’m going to ask him if we can fight at 140 because that’s a better weight for him. He has no trouble making 140…he’s fighting these bigger, stronger guys. Bradley was at least 160 going into that ring.”

Roach might want to run this by Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum, because I have a feeling that he’s not going to like the idea of Pacquiao moving down to 140, where Arum is thin in terms of having big name fighters in his stable. By having Pacquiao stay at 147, Arum can match him in another pot of gold fight against Juan Manuel Marquez. But if Pacquiao moves back down to 140, Arum’s options for him consist of Jessie Vargas, Khabib Allakhverdiev, Brandon Rios and Ruslan Provodnikov. None of those guys would likely bring in more than 450, 000 to 500,000 pay-per-view buys at best. I see Arum vetoing Roach’s idea of having Pacquiao move down to the light welterweight or lightweight divisions to try and extend his career.

I doubt seriously that Arum would match Pacquiao with Provodnikov because my understanding is that he’s only under contract with Top Rank for 1 more fight. Provodnikov fights for Banner Promotions. Arum isn’t likely going to make that fight because then Provodnikov would be getting popular with his help, but then would be going back to Banner to resume his career after likely giving Pacquiao a lot of problems. So that fight is probably never going to happen. What we’re looking at then is Pacquiao fighting Vargas, Allakhverdiev and Rios. Those fights aren’t going to get anyone excited.

If Pacquiao stays at 147, then Arum can get the 5th fight for him against Marquez, and then match him back up with Bradley another 2-3 times. Arum also can throw in the mix Mike Alvarado. That’s not a great fight, but Arum promotes Alvarado, so he’ll likely get his turn against Pacquiao in the near future regardless of how things go with his May 17th fight against Marquez.

Pacquiao would be better off fighting at 140 or 135. Fighting 135, would be the best option for Pacquiao, because his power would be more pronounced and he could face guys like Yuriorkis Gamboa, Terence Crawford, Ray Beltran, Ricky Burns, Miguel Vazquez, and Richard Abril. Those would be good fights for Pacquiao, and it might rejuvenate his career by making him more exciting due to his increase in speed due to him being lighter.

Why not Provodnikov?

By Matt Wood: While we look forward to April 12 as the day that brings us closure on Manny Pacquiao, Tim Bradley, and the most controversial decision in recent memory, Top Rank has already put together the next challenge for whoever comes out on top between their two welterweight workhorses.

Juan Manuel Marquez and Mike Alvarado will be in the ring together on May 17 at a catchweight of 143 pounds with the victor facing the winner of Pacquioa-Bradley 2. Those of us familiar with Top Rank’s stable of fighters in the junior-welterweight and welterweight divisions might see this as a fairly logical development, but I have one question for which I can’t find an easy answer: why is Ruslan Provodnikov not in the mix?

With all due respect to Mike Alvarado, in a more just world it would be Provodnikov taking on Marquez instead of the Denver native. Provodnikov is coming off the biggest win of his career over none other than Alvarado himself. Their fight last October was close until it wasn’t. After 7 rounds of back and forth action, Provodniko took complete control before stopping Alvarado on the stool after the 10th. He proved himself the stronger fighter. Unlike Brandon Rios’ stoppage of Alvarado the first time they met back in 2012, I doubt Alvarado will be asking for a rematch with Provodnikov anytime soon.

To me that’s reason enough for the Siberian Rocky to be in line for the chance to face the winner of Pacquiao-Bradley, but beyond that fighter-to-fighter basis, I think Provodnikov-Marquez makes more sense for both Ruslan and Mike and their long-term careers.

There’s not much left for Ruslan to do at 140 where he has a belt. His first title defense is scheduled for June 14th, but who is he going to fight that’s worthy of a title shot? A fight with Brandon Rios would be about as fan-friendly as it can get, but Bob Arum has publicly stated that he doubts Rios can make 140. Antonio DeMarco’s name has been floated around, as well as Hank Lundy’s. Karim Mayfield would be a good test, but he already has a bout scheduled with Thomas Dulorme on March 29 and probably wouldn’t take a fight of this magnitude with such a quick turnaround. I think Provodnikov could stay at the top of the heap of the Top Rank stable at 140 for quite some time, but there’s an absence of fighters there at his level.

Beyond that, he’s proven that he’s cable of competing with welterweights, and has expressed interest in moving up for the right fights. He fought Tim Bradley at welterweight in their fantastic clash in 2012, and deserves a rematch. He’s also called out Juan Marquez repeatedly and asked for a title fight specifically at 147. I can’t blame him for wanting some big names on his plate.

As for Alvarado, I like the fighter, but I don’t like his chances against Marquez. If the Mexican can stop Alvarado, Mike will have losses in 3 of his last 4 outings. Also, why have the fight at a catchweight? The winner will be going after Bradley’s WBO welterweight title. Why not have the fight at a legitimate welterweight 147? I know sometimes catchweights are implemented when fighters move up in weight, but does Team Alvarado think making 143 will really take anything out of Marquez? He’s fought at light welterweight as recently as 2012 against Serhiy Fedchenko, and since this is a direct path to a welterweight belt, how about we keep it simple and stick to the welterweight 147?

Alvarado’s been in a lot of savage fights lately, and he’s 33. Now that he doesn’t have a belt, give the man a competitive fight that’s not a war. Juan Manuel Marquez will have something to prove after struggling with the elusive, quick footed Bradley, and I think his right hand will be tough for Mike to avoid. With that said, a lot of fans hope Mike pulls off the upset so we won’t have to face yet another Marquez-Pacquiao fight.

The only item that comes to mind for omitting Provodnikov from the action at 147 is his friendship with Manny Pacquiao. I don’t have any inside information on this point, but it’s likely an issue. Freddie Roach has expressed reservations, which is no small thing due to his strong relationships with both fighters. I understand the hesitancy that comes with fighting someone you’ve sparred with and supported, but if this really is an obstacle Provodnikov should realize his career could suffer due to it. I’d like to think that the two can fight and still maintain their friendship. It’s been done before.

Let’s hope that Top Rank has a game plan for getting the Russian in the mix at 147. Until then, it could be deja vu all over again if Bradley somehow loses, with all roads leading once again towards Pacquiao-Marquez.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2014 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE