PACQUIAO RE-SIGNS WITH TOP RANK THROUGH 2016

WBO welterweight champion will most likely end his storied career fighting under Bob Arum’s Top Rank Inc. This after the Filipino icon on Wednesday signed a contract extension with the promotional firm that will run through 2016. “We are pleased that together with our partners at HBO we will continue presenting to the public fights of the great Manny Pacquiao through the end of 2016," Arum said in a statement. The deal specifies the staging of at least two fights a year for Pacquiao, who earlier indicated he’s still good for two years. That means Pacquiao getting to the ring five more times, including his reported return in November, possibly against Juan Manuel Marquez in Macau. Pacquiao has spent a significant portion of his career under Top Rank’s banner, with Arum’s firm promoting more than 10 of his bouts in the past seven years or so. READ MORE..

ALSO: Marquez trainer nixes 5th fight with Pacquiao

Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez no longer have unfinished business to settle. This is the firm stance of Marquez’s trainer Nacho Beristain, who has expressed his disapproval of a fifth meeting between his ward and Pacquiao. In a report by Salvador Rodriguez of boxingscene.com, Beristain vowed oppose another Pacquiao-Marquez clash through whatever means possible. “I do not care who is angry, but I will do everything possible to prevent Juan Manuel Marquez from stepping in the ring with Pacquiao for a fifth time,” the trainer said. Pacquiao and Marquez have already fought four times, but only their last meeting had a conclusive result after the Mexican knocked the Filipino out cold in the sixth round in December 2012. Talks of a fifth meeting between the two archrivals have gained steam after Pacquiao and Marquez pulled off separate wins recently. Pacquiao outpointed Timothy Bradley last month for the WBO welterweight title, while Marquez dominated Mike Alvarado last May 17 to become the No. 1 contender to Pacquiao’s belt. While Marquez has remained non-committal about facing Pacquiao again, Top Rank Inc. chief Bob Arum is confident a fight could be staged in Macau this November. The Mexican wants to win a fifth world title in as many divisions, having won championships at featherweight, super featherweight lightweight and super lightweight.

ALSO: Pacman-Floyd in 2016?

TOP Rank promoter Bob Arum has raised the possibility of a fight between Fighter of the Decade Manny Pacquiao and undefeated pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. could happen in 2016, the last year of the Filipino’s extended contract with Top Rank. One of the stumbling blocks to the fight according to Arum was that Mayweather was tied up to Showtime, while Pacquiao was on the bigger network, HBO Sports, although the American boxer has repeatedly said he won’t do business with Arum. But he said that when Mayweather’s deal with Showtime expires, the two networks can agree to present the fight together as they did when Mike Tyson battled Lennox Lewis in a heavyweight title bout. “HBO is willing to do it and anything can happen in 2016,” said Arum. Mayweather’s father and trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr. told host Jenna Jay on the radio program “On The Ropes,” he believes a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight would be the last bout of both superstars and would be the biggest fight in the history of boxing. Right now, Arum is working on a Nov. 16 Pacquiao fight in Macau, where the eight-division champion made a comeback after his crushing sixth-round knockout loss to Juan Manuel Marquez by scoring a handsome victory over former world lightweight champion Brandon Rios last Nov. 24. READ MORE...


READ FULL MEDIA REPORTS HERE:

Pacquiao re-signs with Top Rank through 2016



Manny Pacquiao has signed a contract extension with Bob Arum's (right) Top Rank Inc., a deal that will run through 2016. (AP file photo)

MANILA, MAY 26, 2014 (PHILSTAR) By Dino Maragay - WBO welterweight champion will most likely end his storied career fighting under Bob Arum’s Top Rank Inc.

This after the Filipino icon on Wednesday signed a contract extension with the promotional firm that will run through 2016.

“We are pleased that together with our partners at HBO we will continue presenting to the public fights of the great Manny Pacquiao through the end of 2016," Arum said in a statement.

The deal specifies the staging of at least two fights a year for Pacquiao, who earlier indicated he’s still good for two years. That means Pacquiao getting to the ring five more times, including his reported return in November, possibly against Juan Manuel Marquez in Macau.

Pacquiao has spent a significant portion of his career under Top Rank’s banner, with Arum’s firm promoting more than 10 of his bouts in the past seven years or so.

"The partnership among Manny, Top Rank, MP Promotions and HBO has been a wonderful one for all parties and for the public and it's great that is will continue for the years to come," Arum added.

The contract renewal, however, further dampens the possibility of Pacquiao having a megabuck showdown with Floyd Mayweather Jr., who had insisted his unwillingness to fight the Filipino as long as Arum is involved.

RELATED: Mayweather returns in September; Pacquiao not among options

"I'm not going to worry about something I can't bring to bear,” Arum told Yahoo! Sports’ Kevin Iole regarding a Pacquiao-Mayweather clash. "We want to fight him and we're willing to discuss it at any point.”

Mayweather is currently signed to a massive six-fight deal with Showtime, chief rival of fight broadcaster HBO which airs Pacquiao’s bouts. But Arum stressed things can be worked out.

“There are two ways to go here. One is to do a Mayweather fight with both HBO and Showtime involved, as they did with Lewis-Tyson, as I understand Mayweather is under contract to Showtime through 2015. The companies could come together and put on the show,” he told Iole.

"Or, the other alternative is, if Floyd wanted to fight Manny in 2016, he could return to HBO and we could do it there," Arum added.

Marquez trainer nixes 5th fight with Pacquiao By Dino Maragay (philstar.com) | Updated May 22, 2014 - 3:21pm 3 0 googleplus0 1


Juan Manuel Marquez's trainer Nacho Beristain (left) says he'll 'do everything possible' to prevent a fifth fight between his ward and Manny Pacquiao. (AP file photo)

MANILA, Philippines – Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez no longer have unfinished business to settle.

This is the firm stance of Marquez’s trainer Nacho Beristain, who has expressed his disapproval of a fifth meeting between his ward and Pacquiao.

In a report by Salvador Rodriguez of boxingscene.com, Beristain vowed oppose another Pacquiao-Marquez clash through whatever means possible.

“I do not care who is angry, but I will do everything possible to prevent Juan Manuel Marquez from stepping in the ring with Pacquiao for a fifth time,” the trainer said.

Pacquiao and Marquez have already fought four times, but only their last meeting had a conclusive result after the Mexican knocked the Filipino out cold in the sixth round in December 2012.

Talks of a fifth meeting between the two archrivals have gained steam after Pacquiao and Marquez pulled off separate wins recently. Pacquiao outpointed Timothy Bradley last month for the WBO welterweight title, while Marquez dominated Mike Alvarado last May 17 to become the No. 1 contender to Pacquiao’s belt.

While Marquez has remained non-committal about facing Pacquiao again, Top Rank Inc. chief Bob Arum is confident a fight could be staged in Macau this November. The Mexican wants to win a fifth world title in as many divisions, having won championships at featherweight, super featherweight lightweight and super lightweight.

Pacquiao, for his part, is willing to give his rival a shot at achieving that goal in exchange for a chance at payback for the knockout loss Marquez dealt him.

But Beristain is all against it.

“I know the desire of Juan Manuel Marquez and myself, to conquer a fifth division, but it should not be against Pacquiao," he stressed.

Beristain believes Marquez’s legacy is secured and won’t get any better with another fight against Pacquiao.

"If it were up to me, he (Marquez) would not do a fifth fight. He has nothing to prove, people will remember him for what he's done in his career, for giving the people big fights, for having faced the best of his time," he ended.

FROM THE MANILA STANDARD

Pacman-Floyd in 2016? By Ronnie Nathanielsz | May. 23, 2014 at 12:01am

TOP Rank promoter Bob Arum has raised the possibility of a fight between Fighter of the Decade Manny Pacquiao and undefeated pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. could happen in 2016, the last year of the Filipino’s extended contract with Top Rank.

One of the stumbling blocks to the fight according to Arum was that Mayweather was tied up to Showtime, while Pacquiao was on the bigger network, HBO Sports, although the American boxer has repeatedly said he won’t do business with Arum.

But he said that when Mayweather’s deal with Showtime expires, the two networks can agree to present the fight together as they did when Mike Tyson battled Lennox Lewis in a heavyweight title bout.

“HBO is willing to do it and anything can happen in 2016,” said Arum.

Mayweather’s father and trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr. told host Jenna Jay on the radio program “On The Ropes,” he believes a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight would be the last bout of both superstars and would be the biggest fight in the history of boxing.

Right now, Arum is working on a Nov. 16 Pacquiao fight in Macau, where the eight-division champion made a comeback after his crushing sixth-round knockout loss to Juan Manuel Marquez by scoring a handsome victory over former world lightweight champion Brandon Rios last Nov. 24.

Although a fifth fight against Marquez appears to be a first choice, Arum hasn’t ruled out the possibility that if the Mexican plays coy and doesn’t want another showdown with Pacquiao, which he himself declined in the past and trainer Ignacio Nacho Beristain is against, he may consider Ruslan Provodnikov.

The Russian was a one-time Pacquiao sparring partner, whose career has taken an upswing after a brutal fight against Timothy Bradley, in which he dropped the then WBO welterweight champion in the last round on March 16, 2013 and a battering of Mike Alvardo, who retired in the 10th round after being decked twice in Round 8 on Oct. 19, 2013.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2014 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE