MARQUEZ EYEING WINNER OF PACQUIAO-BRADLEY 2

Juan Manuel Marquez is keeping alive his hopes to clinch a fifth world title in as many weight classes, targeting the winner of the rematch between Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley this April. But first, Marquez is mulling to take a “stay-busy” fight with Mike Alvarado. In an interview with Lem Satterfield of ringtv.com, Top Rank chief Bob Arum confirmed the plans of the 40-year-old Marquez, pointing out the Mexican’s desire to win another championship. "For Marquez, age is just a number. Marquez wants to keep busy because he said that he wants to fight the winner of Bradley and Pacquiao," Arum said.

ALSO: Pacquiao just a 2-1 favorite over Bradley

He may have lost in their first meeting in 2012, but Manny Pacquiao is still favored to defeat Timothy Bradley in their rematch on April 12. The odds though are slim this time, with Pacquiao currently just a 2-1 favorite among betting lines in Las Vegas. The Filipino icon is listed at -180 while Bradley is at +160. This means you have to put up $180 on Pacquiao to win $100, while betting $100 on Bradley will give you $160.

ALSO: Pacman tells Bradley: I’m not old

Manny Pacquiao broke sweat in General Santos City yesterday morning, almost two months before his rematch with Timothy Bradley in Las Vegas. Pacquiao trooped to a local track stadium at around 6 a.m. and did his routine exercises. He shadowboxed in front of his team members. Then he faced the GMA-7 camera and and reacted to Bradley’s recent statements that Pacquiao may be too told to beat him. “Nire-review ko lahat ng mga sinabi niya na matanda na tayo (I’m reviewing his statements saying I’m old),” said Pacquiao. Although the Filipino icon turned 35 last Dec. 17, Bradley referred to him as a 36-year-old. “Manny’s what 36 now? Ain’t no 36-year-old whipping my behind,” the 30-year-old Bradley told the Boston Herald. “No way he’s going to outpunch me, outwork me. Only way he’s going to beat me is knock me out because as long as I got life in me I’ll keep on punching,” Bradley added.

ALSO: Pacquiao, world champs feted in 14th Elorde Memorial Awards

Four world champions, led by Hall of Famer Manny Pacquiao, lead the cast of international and Philippine champions in the 14th Gabriel “Flash” Elorde Memorial Awards on March 25 at the Harbour Garden Tent of the Sofitel Hotel . WBO light flyweight champion Donnie Nietes, International Boxing Federation light flyweight title holder Johnriel Casimero, WBO minimumweight titlist Merlito Sabillo and comebacking Nonito Donaire will be on stage to receive their awards as boxers of the year in the annual awards held in honor of The Flash. Elorde is the first Filipino to be inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame with his unbeaten record as world junior lightweight champion from 1960 to 1967.


READ FULL MEDIA REPORTS:

Marquez eyes winner of Pacquiao-Bradley 2


Juan Manuel Marquez wants to face the winner of the rematch between WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley and Manny Pacquiao for a chance to win a fifth world title in as many weight classes. (AP file photos)

MANILA, FEBRUARY 17, 2014, (PHILSTAR) By Dino Maragay - Juan Manuel Marquez is keeping alive his hopes to clinch a fifth world title in as many weight classes, targeting the winner of the rematch between Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley this April.

But first, Marquez is mulling to take a “stay-busy” fight with Mike Alvarado.

In an interview with Lem Satterfield of ringtv.com, Top Rank chief Bob Arum confirmed the plans of the 40-year-old Marquez, pointing out the Mexican’s desire to win another championship.

"For Marquez, age is just a number. Marquez wants to keep busy because he said that he wants to fight the winner of Bradley and Pacquiao," Arum said.

Marquez has faced Pacquiao and Bradley, going 1-2-1 against the Filipino and dropping a decision against the undefeated American for the WBO welterweight title. He previously declared his disinterest in a fifth fight with Pacquiao – whom he knocked out cold in their last bout in December 2012 – but has since sang a different tune about facing his old nemesis again if a world title is at stake.

Pacquiao and Bradley will fight for the latter’s WBO welterweight crown on April 12, the same diadem Marquez wants to add to his collection of championships at featherweight, super featherweight and lightweight.

All the Mexican needs to do is get past Alvarado, a former junior welterweight titlist, in order to have another crack at becoming the first Mexican boxer to become a five-division champion.

Marquez’s promoter, Fernando Beltran, says his ward won’t take Alvarado lightly.

"We're not going to take a fight with Mike Alvarado because we're planning on losing the fight. We're going to win that fight and then we're going after the winner of Bradley and Pacquiao in what would be a sensational fight," he explained.

Pacquiao just a 2-1 favorite over Bradley By Dino Maragay (philstar.com) | Updated February 3, 2014 - 10:57am 55 201 googleplus0 0


Las Vegas oddsmakers have installed Manny Pacquiao as a 2-1 favorite over Timothy Bradley in their April 12 rematch. (File photo)

MANILA, Philippines – He may have lost in their first meeting in 2012, but Manny Pacquiao is still favored to defeat Timothy Bradley in their rematch on April 12.

The odds though are slim this time, with Pacquiao currently just a 2-1 favorite among betting lines in Las Vegas.

The Filipino icon is listed at -180 while Bradley is at +160. This means you have to put up $180 on Pacquiao to win $100, while betting $100 on Bradley will give you $160.

The current odds are closer compared to those in the first fight two years ago, with Pacquiao at -450 and Bradley at +360. By fight time, Pacquiao was a heavy 5-1 favorite.

Bradley, the huge underdog, ended up escaping with a controversial majority decision win to take the WBO welterweight title.

Pacquiao has vowed to regain his title while Bradley is out to prove that his win over the Filipino is no fluke.

Pacman tells Bradley: I’m not old By Abac Cordero (The Philippine Star) | Updated February 14, 2014 - 12:00am 7 12 googleplus1 0


Manny Pacquiao

MANILA, Philippines - Manny Pacquiao broke sweat in General Santos City yesterday morning, almost two months before his rematch with Timothy Bradley in Las Vegas.

Pacquiao trooped to a local track stadium at around 6 a.m. and did his routine exercises. He shadowboxed in front of his team members.

Then he faced the GMA-7 camera and and reacted to Bradley’s recent statements that Pacquiao may be too told to beat him.

“Nire-review ko lahat ng mga sinabi niya na matanda na tayo (I’m reviewing his statements saying I’m old),” said Pacquiao.

Although the Filipino icon turned 35 last Dec. 17, Bradley referred to him as a 36-year-old.

“Manny’s what 36 now? Ain’t no 36-year-old whipping my behind,” the 30-year-old Bradley told the Boston Herald.

“No way he’s going to outpunch me, outwork me. Only way he’s going to beat me is knock me out because as long as I got life in me I’ll keep on punching,” Bradley added.

Pacquiao said he’s taking it as a challenge to beat a younger opponent like Bradley or Brandon Rios, whom he outclassed last November in Macau.

During the recent press tour for the April 12 rematch, Pacquiao also vowed to be as aggressive as before. He also admitted being “too nice” to Bradley the last time out.

“It’s a challenge to me na ipakita ulit yung killer instinct and aggressiveness,” said Pacquiao, who will train a couple of weeks in General Santos City.

His trainer, Freddie Roach, will arrive on the last week of February and is hoping that by the first week of March they’ll be at the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles.

Pacquiao is the only boxer in history to win world titles in eight different weight classes, and on his way to the top he ran over bigger opponents like Oscar dela Hoya, Antonio Margarito and Miguel Cotto.

But he’s never stopped any opponent since the Cotto fight more than four years ago.

Despite an impressive win over Rios, Bradley thinks Pacquiao is getting old.

Bradley may just end up eating his own words.

Pacquiao, world champs feted in 14th Elorde Memorial Awards (The Philippine Star) | Updated February 17, 2014 - 12:00am 0 0 googleplus0 0


Clockwise from upper left: Manny Pacquiao, Nonito Donaire, Donnie Nietes, Johnriel Casimero and Merlito Sabillo

MANILA, Philippines - Four world champions, led by Hall of Famer Manny Pacquiao, lead the cast of international and Philippine champions in the 14th Gabriel “Flash” Elorde Memorial Awards on March 25 at the Harbour Garden Tent of the Sofitel Hotel .

WBO light flyweight champion Donnie Nietes, International Boxing Federation light flyweight title holder Johnriel Casimero, WBO minimumweight titlist Merlito Sabillo and comebacking Nonito Donaire will be on stage to receive their awards as boxers of the year in the annual awards held in honor of The Flash.

Elorde is the first Filipino to be inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame with his unbeaten record as world junior lightweight champion from 1960 to 1967.

In 2013, Nietes defeated two Mexicans to retain his WBO light flyweight title he wrested from Ramon Garcia Hirales of Mexico at the La Salle Coliseum in Bacolod on Oct. 8, 2011.

His first defense was a majority decision over Moises Fuentes on March 2 at the Cebu City Waterfront Hotel while his second defense was a convincing third round knockout of Sammy Gutierrez on Nov. 30.

Casimero, who turned 24 on Feb. 13, retained his IBF light flyweight crown thrice, twice in 2013 when he scored a unanimous decision over Luis Alberto Rios of Panama in Panama City on March 16. He finished the year with an 11th round TKO of Felipe Salguero also of Panama in Makati on Oct. 26.

Sabillo launched his campaign on the world stage last year by winning the interim WBO minimumweight title and defending it twice, the last with a draw to finish the year with a 23-0-1 record, seven by knockout.

The 24-year-old from Toboso, Negros Oriental, wrested the WBO minimumweight crown with an eighth round stoppage of Luis dela Rosa of Colombia on March 9 in Cerete, Colombia. He retained the title via a ninth round TKO of Jorie Estrada also of Colombia on July 13 and a split decision over Carlos Bultrago of Nicaragua on Nov. 30 at the Araneta Coliseum.

Donaire started 2013 with a loss where he ceded his WBO title to Guillermo Regondeau on April 13 in New York City.He came back on Nov. 9 to make up for that loss and proclaim he is back on the world stage with a ninth round stoppage of old nemesis Vic Darchinyan in Texas.

Pacquaio, champion in eight different divisions at the height of his ring career, will not receive an award, having received the highest award, an induction into the Elorde Hall of Fame. Instead he will be in attendance to head the elite Elorde Banquet of Champions which will include world, international and Philippine champions, with the Elorde family as host.

The Elorde clan is presenting the annual Elorde awards in celebration of the 79th birth anniversary of the boxing legend who compiled a ring record of 89-27-2, 33 by knockout.

His wife Laura will lead the Elorde clan in the award presentation.

Details: Elorde Sports Center at8250625, 8264463 and 09162423657.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2014 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE