MAYWEATHER: SEPTEMBER FIGHT VS PACQUIAO 'IS A LIE'

Undefeated American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. denied reports that his much-awaited clash with Filipino boxing icon Manny Pacquiao will finally happen this September. In his official Twitter account, Mayweather posted a link to a report by fighthype.com, where he said "All the stories you hear about Pacquiao is a lie." It's a lie. It's not true. If it didn't come from Leonard's mouth, my mouth, or Al's mouth, it's not true," Mayweather said in the report. The five-division world champion was referring to Leonard Ellerbe, chief executive officer of Mayweather Promotions, and Al Haymon, his adviser. The STAR also reported today that Pacquiao's adviser, Mike Koncz, dismissed news of the supposedly arranged bout.

ALSO: One-on-one deal for mega bout: Pacman to talk to Mayweather

Is Manny Pacquiao going solo when he soon flies to the United States to pursue the fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr.? Word going around the boxing circle is that Pacquiao is hoping to personally get in touch with Mayweather. And he may do it himself and for himself and with no representations from Top Rank Promotions. “We will talk. If it goes well, then we will talk about the fight,” Pacquiao told www.spin.ph recently. Mayweather has made noise the past few days and it all had something to do with Pacquiao. Pacquiao is scheduled to return to the ring in April, and Mayweather in May. But neither camp has decided on the opponent.

ALSO: Provodnikov likely opponent of Pacman on April 12

Russian champion Ruslan Provodnikov may end up facing sparmate Manny Pacquiao after all. Provodnikov’s manager Vadim Kornilov told boxingscene.com that the reigning WBO light welterweight champion will likely end up fighting Pacquiao if the Russian fails to secure a bout with either Juan Manuel Marquez or Timothy Bradley. Provodnikov (23-2, with 16 KOs) had previously ruled out a clash with Pacquiao, whom he considers a friend. The two used to spar against each other and are both trained by Freddie Roach. After Pacquiao beat Brandon Rios in Macau last November, Provodnikov’s name cropped up as a future opponent, and the Russian eventually welcomed the idea of fighting Pacquiao.


READ FULL MEDIA REPORTS:

Mayweather: September fight with Pacquiao 'is a lie'


Floyd Mayweather Jr. AP file photo

MANILA, JANUARY 6, 2014, (PHILSTAR)  By Louis Bacani - Undefeated American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. denied reports that his much-awaited clash with Filipino boxing icon Manny Pacquiao will finally happen this September.

In his official Twitter account, Mayweather posted a link to a report by fighthype.com, where he said "All the stories you hear about Pacquiao is a lie."

"It's a lie. It's not true. If it didn't come from Leonard's mouth, my mouth, or Al's mouth, it's not true," Mayweather said in the report.

The five-division world champion was referring to Leonard Ellerbe, chief executive officer of Mayweather Promotions, and Al Haymon, his adviser.

The STAR also reported today that Pacquiao's adviser, Mike Koncz, dismissed news of the supposedly arranged bout.

The Latino Post first reported that the highly anticipated match between the two champions has already been set for September. The story was eventually picked up by the local and international media.

The report referenced a 15-minute long video commentary on the YouTube boxing channel 78Sports TV, which cited a purportedly reliable source who said that the fight is a done deal.

The source is also supposedly the same one who bared information about the American boxer’s fights with Robert Guerrero and Saul Alvarez even before these were officially confirmed.

According to previous reports, Pacquiao and Mayweather have scheduled their next fights in April and May, respectively, even if their opponents have not yet been named.

The talks on the megafight between the eight division champion and the current pound-for-pound king were revived after Pacquiao's triumphant comeback last year.

Pacquiao defeated Brandon Rios in November 2013, successfully returning to the ring after a devastating knockout loss from Mexican rival Juan Manuel Marquez in 2012.

Mayweather, on the other hand, won against Saul Alvarez in September 2013.

One-on-one deal for mega bout: Pacman to talk to Mayweather By Abac Cordero (The Philippine Star) | Updated December 31, 2013 - 12:00am 10 53 googleplus0 11


Manny Pacquiao

MANILA, Philippines - Is Manny Pacquiao going solo when he soon flies to the United States to pursue the fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr.?

Word going around the boxing circle is that Pacquiao is hoping to personally get in touch with Mayweather.

And he may do it himself and for himself and with no representations from Top Rank Promotions.

“We will talk. If it goes well, then we will talk about the fight,” Pacquiao told www.spin.ph recently.

Mayweather has made noise the past few days and it all had something to do with Pacquiao.

Pacquiao is scheduled to return to the ring in April, and Mayweather in May.

But neither camp has decided on the opponent.

It was reported that there’s an effort to get both fighters to talk. If true, then it’s good for boxing.

Mayweather vs Pacquiao is still the fight the world wants to see, and if it happens, it is expected to break all existing records in the sport.

The fight between the two superstars has yet to materialize despite several attempts over the last four years or so.

In January 2012, the two boxers had a brief phone conversation, and Mayweather offered Pacquiao $40 million – all in – to do the fight.

Pacquiao right there and then turned down the offer, saying he wanted a fair share.

Pacquiao had agreed to do random drug testing and also seemed ready to take a 40-45 percent share.

But Mayweather said he would only fight Pacquiao if Top Rank’s Bob Arum is not involved in the discussions.

After their bitter falling out, Mayweather, the undefeated American, said he would “never do business” with Arum again in his life.

Pacquiao is tied with Top Rank until 2014, and a report hinted that if he could be a free man just for this fight then it may take place in 2014.

Another issue would involve Showtime, which carries Mayweather fights, and HBO, which airs Pacquiao fights.

Stephen Espinoza, executive vice president of Showtime, told The Telegraph that Mayweather wants to make the fight happen.

“(Mayweather) will fight Manny Pacquiao anywhere, any time. I know Floyd is not the issue,” Espinoza told The Telegraph.

“Floyd wants the fight. Unfortunately, there is a promotional conflict which is the issue,” he added.

Provodnikov likely opponent of Pacman on April 12 By Dino Maragay, Contributor (The Philippine Star) | Updated January 4, 2014 - 12:00am 2 1 googleplus0 0


Ruslan Provodnikov

MANILA, Philippines - Russian champion Ruslan Provodnikov may end up facing sparmate Manny Pacquiao after all.

Provodnikov’s manager Vadim Kornilov told boxingscene.com that the reigning WBO light welterweight champion will likely end up fighting Pacquiao if the Russian fails to secure a bout with either Juan Manuel Marquez or Timothy Bradley.

Provodnikov (23-2, with 16 KOs) had previously ruled out a clash with Pacquiao, whom he considers a friend. The two used to spar against each other and are both trained by Freddie Roach.

After Pacquiao beat Brandon Rios in Macau last November, Provodnikov’s name cropped up as a future opponent, and the Russian eventually welcomed the idea of fighting Pacquiao.

Kornilov reaffirmed his client’s interest in the fight.

“If we fail to reach an agreement on a pay-per-view fight with Juan Manuel Marquez, then the possibility of a fight against Pacquiao is really great,” he told Yuri Tantarin of boxingscene.com.

“However, if we can agree on a fight against Marquez or Timothy Bradley, then [the possibility of] a bout with Pacquiao may be postponed for a while. Given that the fans, promoters and [HBO] are very interested in a fight between Pacquiao and Provodnikov, we are most likely going to have to do it,” he added.

Pacquiao himself is eyeing an April 12 fight against either Marquez or Bradley, both of whom own victories over him. He likewise desires a megabuck date with Floyd Mayweather Jr., but that doesn’t appear to happen anytime soon.

In comes Provodnikov, who like Pacquiao also fights under Top Rank Inc., making a fight between them a breeze to arrange.

The Russian’s camp made it clear they only want big fights.

“Provodnikov wants to fight only against the most dangerous and most well-known opponents and he does not intend to accept less meaningful alternatives,” Kornilov said.

Bradley or Provodnikov for Pacquiao? By Abac Cordero (The Philippine Star) | Updated January 6, 2014 - 12:00am 0 0 googleplus0 0

MANILA, Philippines - Manny Pacquiao can close his eyes and choose between Timothy Bradley and Ruslan Provodnikov as his opponent for April 12 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Either fight will be a good, tough fight for Pacquiao.

His promoter, Bob Arum, said it’s up to Pacquiao to decide, and the Top Rank chief expects the decision to come anytime soon.

“It’ll either be (Ruslan) Provodnikov or (Timothy) Bradley,” Arum told The Las Vegas Journal yesterday after sitting down with Michael Koncz in Los Angeles.

Pacquiao’s adviser flew to the US to meet Arum. While they did not disclose any other detail, Koncz by this time must have an idea whom Pacquiao wants.

But Arum isn’t jumping the gun on his fighter.

“We’ll let Manny decide, we’ll get a deal made with whoever he chooses and hopefully make the announcement in a week. What I can definitely tell you is Manny is fighting on April 12, and he’s definitely fighting at the MGM,” Arum said.

Pacquiao may pick Bradley so he can avenge a bitter loss on points to the American when they fought in June 2012.

Many felt Pacquiao won the fight. But Bradley doesn’t think so. And if he gets chosen, Bradley will come out to prove he was the rightful winner of the first fight.

Provodnikov is the reigning WBO light-welterweight champion, and Bradley the WBO welterweight king. But if Pacquiao picks the former, it’s most likely the fight will be at 147 pounds.

Bradley fought twice last year, beating Provodnikov in April and outpointing Juan Manuel Marquez in October. The Provodnikov fight was named Fight of the Year.

If Pacquiao chooses Provodnikov it’s action guaranteed and people would want to see that.

“It’s up to Manny,” Arum told The Las Vegas Journal.

Pacquiao can’t go wrong on this one.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2014 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE