DONAIRE TO UNDERGO SHOULDER SURGERY / PACMAN TIFF MOVED TO  OCT, IN MACAU?

MANILA, APRIL 19, 2013 (MANILA STANDARD) By Ronnie Nathanielsz - Dethroned World Boxing Organization, Ring Magazine and World Boxing Council Diamond Belt super bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire will undergo surgery this Friday in San Francisco.

“The surgery will be done in a surgery center like an outpatient facility. It’s not a hospital thing. He doesn’t have to stay overnight or anything,” Donaire’s wife Rachel told the Manila Standard.

Donaire was asleep when Manila Standard called early Thursday (Manila Time), but Rachel was awake since she was packing their bags as they were set to leave for San Francisco at night.

She said they had a doctor’s appointment on Thursday to make arrangements for the surgery. Donaire is believed to be suffering from a torn ligament in his right shoulder.

Rachael, who is expecting their first child around July 21, said it is not likely to set back his return to the ring because it had been planned.

“My husband knew that this was bothering him, that’s why he planned to take off for so long because of the baby, but he’ll come back at the end of the year. The doctors said she should be fine by then,” said Rachael.

Donaire himself earlier told a recent episode of BoxingScene Radio: “I plan to be back before the end of the year. They were looking at, at least 6 months, but if I take care of myself and the way I heal, I heal very fast. So we’re looking to be able to come back to the gym around four months or so and start training. But it’s a long process as you have to do rehabilitation and all this other stuff. But they are telling me 4 to 6 months, but I want to be back [before end of the year].”

FROM PHILSTAR

Arum mulls Macau tiff for Manny in October By Abac Cordero (The Philippine Star) | Updated April 19, 2013 - 12:00am


Bob Arum

MANILA, Philippines - Manny Pacquiao’s much-awaited comeback has been moved to October from September, and his promoter, Bob Arum, said the fight will most likely take place in Macau.

Arum yesterday told The STAR on the phone that negotiations are still on, and that everything could be finalized within the next few days.

“Things could be finalized by the end of the week. But we’re now looking at October,” said Arum.

The chief of Top Rank Promotions didn’t mention a definite opponent yet even though the latest reports said Mike Alvarado of Colorado now has the inside track as Pacquiao’s next foe.

A report said Alvarado’s manager, Henry Delgado, had hinted that the fight with Pacquiao is almost a done deal.

Pacquiao wants a rematch with Juan Manuel Marquez following his bitter knockout loss to the Mexican last December in Las Vegas.

But the Mexican superstar, who’s turning 40 in August, said he finds no reason to fight Pacquiao a fifth time, and the only way he’d do it is if he is paid $20 million.

Marquez, who was guaranteed $6 million for the last fight, is apparently looking at Timothy Bradley or Brandon Rios as his opponent on Sept. 14 either in Las Vegas or Mexico.

Arum was asked if Marquez or Bradley remains part of the negotiations for Pacquiao’s next fight, but he did not give any conclusive answer.

“Things are being finalized,” he said.

Arum said they started considering October because that’s the date “the people of The Venetian Hotel want.”

Two weeks ago, Arum staged the first big boxing card at The Venetian, featuring China’s two-time Olympic champion Zou Shiming and Filipino Brian Viloria.

Arum was greatly impressed with the reception in Macau, and described the Asia’s gambling capital as the next boxing capital of the world.

“It’s Las Vegas on steroids,” he kept on saying.

BLOG WATCH: FROM OPPOSINGVIEWS.COM

Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez Having Trouble Coming to Terms By Alex Groberman, Tue, April 16, 2013

Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez meeting for a fifth time later this year is still a very likely scenario, but the fact that this fight hasn’t been announced yet is mildly troubling. Given how limited both men’s options are, them being incapable of agreeing to terms up to this point means that one is being unreasonable with his demands, and the other is being stingy with what he’s willing to part with.

Last week, Pacquiao’s trainer, Freddie Roach, expressed yet again that he and his guy would love nothing more than to avenge last December’s embarrassing defeat. However, he also noted that Marquez was making ‘unreasonable’ monetary demands and he wasn’t sure how that would end up going.

"My gut instinct on what is next? I want it to be Marquez, Manny wants Marquez, but Marquez wants a lot, lot, lot of money," Roach told The Sweet Science. "I think it's a little outrageous. It may not happen. We might have to go to Mike Alvarado or Brandon Rios or a Tim Bradley rematch could be made. I want Marquez right away, Manny and I both want it. But Marquez wants just about a 50-50 split. Manny brings butts in seats, pay-per-view-wise, Manny is the guy. Obviously Manny deserves more. I think a rematch will make a lot more money than the last fight. I think both sides can ask for more and Marquez deserves something, but not 50-50."

In their fourth fight, Pacquiao took home at least $17 million more than the man who needed just six rounds to knock him out cold. While there can be a reasonable debate about whether he deserves a 50-50 split, there is no denying that Marquez deserves more. How much is more, exactly? That’s debatable. And that debate, apparently, is what’s causing this delay as it pertains to announcing Pacquiao’s next fight.

You will recall, last week, Bob Arum said that Pacquiao’s next opponent would be decided on this weekend. Saturday and Sunday came and went with no announcement. On Monday, PhilBoxing caught up with Michael Koncz and asked what the status of negotiations were.

“It is still being worked on,” he replied.

When pressed on whether September was still the target date for Pacquiao’s next bout, Koncz replied: “We are now looking at October.”

And in response to when an announcement regarding next fight would be made, Koncz kept it short and sweet:

“Maybe next week.”

So there you go.

Pacquiao-Marquez V is still the fight fans will likely see come year’s end, but with every passing day, more and more doubt creeps into the equation.

Source: PhilBoxing


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2013 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE