5th PACQUIAO-MARQUEZ BOUT HINGES ON WED MEET / MAYWEATHER AT IT AGAIN
[PACQUIAO AND MAYWEATHER]
MANILA, FEBRUARY 25, 2013 (INQUIRER) By Roy Luarca Whether the fifth fight between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez will push through or not will be known when Marquez meets with Top Rank CEO Bob Arum Wednesday night (Thursday in Manila).
According to BoxingScene.com, Marquez will be accompanied by his longtime trainer, Ignacio “Nacho” Beristain, to the meeting where Arum will try to convince the Mexican four-division world champion to agree to a grudge rematch with Pacquiao.
In their fourth fight last Dec. 8, Marquez finally got the Filipino’s number with a one-punch knockout in the final second of the sixth round.
Their first bout in 2004 ended in a draw, while Pacquiao won the second (2008) and third editions (2011) by split and majority decision, respectively.
Marquez has indicated that he isn’t too keen on fighting Pacquiao again, a view shared by Beristain, who told BoxingScene.com that he doesn’t want Marquez to tangle with the Filipino eight-division world champion again because “it would be a dangerous fight (for his ward).”
Despite his apprehensions, however, Beristain said he would abide by whatever Marquez will decide.
If ever the fifth fight pushes through in September, Marquez stands to become the highest paid Mexican athlete ever with projected earnings of $15 million upwards, a big jump from the $6 million guaranteed purse he got in Pacquiao-Marquez 4.
While Macau, Abu Dhabi and Mexico have been prominently mentioned as likely sites for the fifth bout, a return to Las Vegas, despite the stiff US taxes, can’t be brushed aside owing to its prime marketability.
With Pacquiao out of his radar for now, Marquez is looking at brawler Brandon Rios as a possible opponent for his return to the ring in September.
If Marquez plays hard to get or demands a stiff purse, the Pacquiao camp won’t beg him for a fifth fight, lawyer Jeng Gacal, Pacquiao’s legal adviser, told the Inquirer in an earlier interview. Gacal insists only a Pacquiao fight can give the 39-year-old Marquez financial security once he hangs up his gloves.
Mayweather still not ready to face Manny By Beth Celis 1:18 am | Sunday, February 24th, 2013
FLOYD Mayweather Jr. is at it again.
In an article that came out in Philboxing.com, Floyd again opened his big mouth and said that the much awaited fight between him and 8-division world titlist Manny Pacquiao may still push through.
But in order for the fight of the century to happen, Floyd again set a couple of conditions.
First, Manny had to beat Juan Manuel Marquez in a fifth fight.
Then the Saranggani congressman, he said, will have to settle his problem with Timothy Bradley, whatever that means. Maybe Floyd Jr. is saying that the Pacman has to consent to a rematch with the American boxer, who beat him by a controversial split decision last year.
* * *
Mayweather very recently signed a 6-fight contract with Showtime. The very first of these fights is scheduled on May 4 against Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero, a 29 year-old southpaw who holds a record of 31 wins, 18 knockouts, 1 loss and l draw.
The youthful Guerrero is said to be very eager to make it to big-time boxing.
Previously, Mayweather demanded that for the Pacquiao-Mayweather showdown to push through, Pacquiao will have to undergo a drug test. Pacquiao consented, but still nothing happened.
The promoters of the two tried to negotiate again, but the parties failed to agree on the purse. The clock is ticking. Is Floyd still scared to mar his clean win slate?
* * *
The call from athletics president Go Teng Kok was expected, although he has been practically incommunicado since the POC elections last November.
“I had to call you because you had misunderstood what I had texted. I have not called anyone from the press since November but I had to make you an exception, to set the record straight,” Go Temg Kok said.
I admitted I had so much difficulty decoding his text message which was written in jejemon language.
“Pease explain what you were trying to say, in the clearest way possible,” I requested him.
* * *
“First of all, I want to clarify that Philip Ella Juico did not get any help from me when he was appointed PSC chair, PGA president and a member of President Cory Aquino’s cabinet during her administration.”
“He is so close to the Aquinos and the Cojuangcos he doesn’t need anybody’s help. Besides, I have neither influence nor power to help him,” Mr. Go said.
“I have nothing against Philip being my successor. After all, he is highly qualified for the position. He’ll be the first person in my mind if I call it quits.”
“And that’s a big if.”
According to Mr. Go, one of the major reasons why he’s giving up his post is, he’s making good his word that he will resign if Peping Cojuangco continues to be POC president.
If ever, the process—the turnover—would be made faster if Juico would help him (GTK) clear his name, which has been tarnished by Cojuangco and his cohorts in the POC who expelled him and declared him persona non grata.
In his search for a replacement, GTK said he conducted a mini-survey among 17 people, majority of them members of the media. He asked the group to text in the name of the person he/she is endorsing.
GTK said different names were mentioned: Ramon Ang of San Miguel Corporation, former PSC chair Harry Angping, former Gintong Alay project director Michael Keon, former immigration commissioner Rufus Rodriguez, former De la Salle Green Archers team manager Terry Capistrano and Juico.
Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi
© Copyright, 2013
by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved
PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE