PACQUIAO PUSHES FIGHT TO SEPTEMBER, STILL WANTS IT IN PH


Manny Pacquiao

MANILA, FEBRUARY 11, 2013 (ABS-CBN) Boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao has agreed to move his next fight to September after having a tough time finding a suitable location for an April fight date.

But the former welterweight champion insisted that he wants his next bout to be done in front of his Filipino fans.

“What I'm trying to do is dito na maganap sa Pilipinas para hindi na kailangang lumipad ng mga kababayan natin para maganap ang fight,” the fighting congressman said in an interview with ABS-CBN’s Anne Santos.

Pacquiao earlier mentioned the Rizal Memorial Stadium as one of the locations being considered.

The Filipino boxing icon has reportedly refused to hold his next fight in the US where almost 40% of his fight earnings go to taxes.

“He says that he doesn't want to fight in the United States because of the high taxes and it's hard to blame him,” said boxing promoter Bob Arum.

Pacquiao earlier pushed for an April fight to prepare himself for a possible rematch against Juan Manuel Marquez.

The Filipino boxer wants to get back at the Mexican counter puncher for knocking him out in their fourth encounter last December.

However, Arum said that a fight of such magnitude shouldn’t be held in the Philippines for financial reasons.

"You can't do a fight like this in the Philippines because, first of all, you would have to do it on a Sunday morning for Saturday night in the United States,” Arum said earlier in RingTV.

Bulk of the boxers’ earnings comes from pay-per-view revenues, which is why the airing time is crucial.

Arum said Macau, which will host Brian Viloria’s title defense against Juan Francisco Estrada, could set a better stage for Pacquiao’s ring return.

"That's why Macau is a good possibility. They had a UFC fight in Macau, and they had like 6,000 people attend the fight.”

FROM THE INQUIRER FILE

Pacquiao ‘not chasing Marquez’ Floyd Jr an option, says Gacal By Roy Luarca Philippine Daily Inquirer


Rep. Manny Pacquiao

Manny Pacquiao will not chase after Juan Manuel Marquez if the Mexican chooses to run away from a fifth fight.

“If (we cannot get a fight with) Marquez, then we’ll look for a better opponent,” lawyer Franklin Gacal, Pacquiao’s legal adviser, told the Inquirer yesterday.

Gacal was reacting to reports that Marquez, who sneaked in a right straight that knocked out Pacquiao cold in the sixth round last Dec. 8, doesn’t want another showdown with his two-time tormentor.

If Marquez doesn’t change his mind soon, Gacal said Team Pacquiao will consider other capable opponents, especially Floyd Mayweather Jr.

“We’re willing to sit down with the camp of Mayweather (if he’s interested),” said Gacal, who added that Marquez’s refusal to fight Pacquiao again could only mean that the Mexican is “scared” of the possible “conditions” the Filipino camp might include in the fight contract.

Gacal said that, for one, they will require random drug testing before and after the fifth bout that could rival Pacquiao-Mayweather in magnitude and drawing power.

The lawyer also said they do not care if Marquez, in saying there’s no point doing a fifth fight, is sending a message that he should be on top of the negotiations.

Pacquiao, Gacal insists, is the main draw and therefore should dictate the terms.

In Pacquiao-Marquez 4, held at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, the Mexican was guaranteed $6 million against Pacquiao’s $23 million.

While his devastating win over Pacquiao may have boosted Marquez’s paycheck, he would be lucky to get a 60-40 deal with the eight-division world champion, whose chances of squeezing through a fight in April get slimmer by the day.

“Well, he (Pacquiao) can live with that,” said Gacal. “If ever there’s no April fight, then we’ll wait for September.”

He remains hopeful, though, that Marquez would be Pacquiao’s next fight.

Marquez balks at Pacquiao tiff ‘There’s no point doing a 5th fight’ By Roy Luarca Philippine Daily Inquirer 10:56 pm | Monday, February 4th, 2013



Even the lure of his biggest paycheck ever won’t make Juan Manuel Marquez fight Manny Pacquiao again.

Less than two months after pulling off a brutal sixth-round knockout of Pacquiao in their fourth bout last Dec. 8, Marquez is reportedly hesitant to risk his newfound reputation by facing the eight-division world champ anew.

Shrugging off the so-called warrior mentality of Mexican boxers, Marquez told BoxingScene.com he won’t give Pacquiao a chance to get back at him, conveniently ignoring the fact that the Filipino superstar had given him the opportunity for a rematch three times before.

Their first bout in 2004, which saw Pacquiao knock down Marquez thrice in the first round, ended in a draw only because a judge’s scoring error deprived Pacquiao of a hairline victory.

The rematch in 2008 produced a split decision win for Pacquiao while Pacquiao-Marquez 3 in 2011 saw the Filipino prevailing by majority decision.

Despite earlier pronouncements by his promoter, Fernando Beltran, that his ward would return the favor by agreeing to a fifth fight, Marquez inexplicably changed his mind.

“I think, for me, there is no point [in a fifth fight],” Marquez told the boxing website. “We already achieved the desired result. Then why do it?

“I also asked several people, several friends that I have around me and they told me not to do it, that there is no point in a fifth fight. I said before the fourth fight that no matter how this fight ends, there cannot be a fifth.”

Beltran, who had earlier agreed with Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum, to stage Pacquiao-Marquez 5 in September in Mexico, offered a different view.

Interviewed by ESPN Deportes, Beltran said Mexican fight fans should have a hand in Marquez’s decision.

“If the people want it, we will give the opportunity (for a rematch) to Manny,” Beltran said.

Beltran also told Esto, a Mexican sports daily, that their “priority is not to fight Pacquiao.”

Marquez stands to earn much less if he opts to fight an opponent other than Pacquiao, according to boxing pundits.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2013 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE