ARUM, ROACH SEE 5th FIGHT MARQUEZ 'BLUFFING' FOR BARGAINING POWER
Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez. AP File Photo
MANILA, FEBRUARY 11, 2013 (INQUIRER) As far as promoter Bob Arum and trainer Freddie Roach are concerned, Juan Manuel Marquez is merely “bluffing” to boost his worth and will ultimately agree to a fifth fight with Manny Pacquiao.
“His (Marquez) idea of negotiations,” Arum, CEO of Top Rank Promotions, told Rick Reeno of BoxingScene.com. on Tuesday.
Marquez announced recently that there’s no point for another showdown with Pacquiao, whom he knocked out cold in the sixth round last Dec. 8 at MGM Grand, because the desired result had been achieved.
Roach, a four-time Trainer of the Year, was on the same wave length with Arum.
Arum and Fernando Beltran, Marquez’s promoter, have earlier announced their desire to pursue Pacquiao-Marquez 5 in September, with Macau and Mexico as probable sites.
Though Pacquiao-Marquez 4 was held in Las Vegas, Nevada, Arum wants to take the fifth fight out of the United States due to the steep taxes (39 percent) to be imposed.
In another interview with BoxingScene.com, Roach said Marquez will eventually negotiate because he “really doesn’t have anything else (but the Pacquiao fight).”
According to Roach, only a fight with either Floyd Mayweather Jr. or Saul “Canelo” Alvarez would approximate what Marquez stands to earn against Pacquiao.
In Pacquiao-Marquez 4, Marquez was guaranteed $6 million, but the imposing victory last December certainly spiked his bargaining power.
Roach, however, said Marquez won’t fight Mayweather again as he was dominated by the American when they tangled in 2009 in the Mexican’s first foray at 146 pounds.
Alvarez, on the other hand, is deemed to be too big for Marquez at 154 pounds.
While Roach acknowledges that Tim Bradley and the winner between Brandon Rios and Mike Alvarado are probable rivals for Marquez, none of them could give the four-division world champion the same retirement check he stands to get from Pacquiao. Roy Luarca
Roach insists no need for Manny tune-up fight By Abac Cordero (The Philippine Star) | Updated January 15, 2013 - 12:00am
MANILA, Philippines - Looks like Manny Pacquiao and Freddie Roach are not on the same page on this one.
Pacquiao is dead serious in making a comeback sometime in April, just four months after he suffered a scary knockout loss to Juan Manuel Marquez in Las Vegas.
But the chance to get back at Marquez may have to wait until September because for this one they want to fight someone else outside the United States.
It sounds like a tune-up fight for Pacquiao especially if he ends up facing guys like Ukrainian Vyacheslav Senchenko or American Jessie Vargas.
But Roach is not buying the idea.
“The thing is, I don’t really like the tune-up fight,” Roach told www.boxingscene.com after reports came out that Pacquiao is already being scheduled to fight on either April 13 or April 20.
Aside from Senchenko and Vargas, names that don’t really ring a bell yet, others being considered next for Pacquiao are Brandon Rios, Robert Guerrero and Tim Bradley.
But Pacquiao’s adviser, Mike Koncz, told The STAR the other day they want to seal the venue first before they think of the opponent.
Talks are on regarding holding Pacquiao’s next fight in Singapore, Macau, Dubai or Abu Dhabi.
Roach is sticking to his previous plan. He wants Pacquiao to rest longer this time, then train harder and go straight to a fifth fight with Marquez in September.
“April or May is way too soon. I wouldn’t be thinking of a fight until maybe September. That’s my idea of the soonest,” he told Pinoy scribes days after Pacquiao’s “great fall.”
“I don’t think that’s (tune-up fight) necessary at this stage. I don’t think he needs to fight a bum,” Roach also said with no idea then who the candidates are.
Senchenko is 35 years old, stands 5’11” and carries a ring record of 33-0-1 with 22 knockouts. Last year, he defeated a comebacking Ricky Hatton. He is the WBA welterweight champion.
Vargas is a new and good kid on the block. He’s only 23 but is undefeated in 20 fights with nine knockouts. Like Senchenko he stands close to six feet.
Rios, Bradley and Guerrero are no bums either.
Roach thinks there’s no need for Pacquiao to go through any of these guys just to feel ready to take on Marquez for the fifth time.
“I would rather just go straight into the fifth fight. I don’t think a guy of Pacquiao’s level needs a tune-up.” fight. Thing is he’s going to get right back in the horse,” Roach said.
What’s certain for now is that Pacquiao will fight again, and is raring to get back at Marquez.
“The first thing he said to me (after the loss to Marquez) – we need to do it one more time,” Roach also told www.boxingscene.com. Tuneup or no tuneup.
Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi
© Copyright, 2013
by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved
PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE