PACQUIAO: MARQUEZ 'KO' LOSS LOOMS / PACMAN TRAINING GOES LIVE ON TIMES SQUARE
HOLLYWOOD, DECEMBER 3, 2012 (INQUIRER) By Roy Luarca - This should serve as a stern warning to Juan Manuel Marquez.
Manny Pacquiao has set Dec. 8 as the date when he’d hand the Mexican icon a final, decisive beating to end what was perceived by many to be a seething ring rivalry.
“May (He has an) expiration date,” Pacquiao told Manila-based sportswriters after Saturday’s (Sunday in Manila) sparring and workout at the Wild Card Gym here.
With Marquez insisting on his claim that he won their first three bouts, Pacquiao no longer hides his desire to knock his opponent out come fight night at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas.
Pacquiao came close to it when he fell Marquez thrice right in the first round of their first duel in 2004 only to settle for a controversial draw following a judge’s lapse in scoring.
He was able to floor Marquez again in the third round with a left hook in their rematch in 2008 to scrape out a split decision, but failed to knock down the four-division world champion in their third showdown which he won by majority decision last year.
The highly disputed result has emboldened the 39-year-old Marquez, who promised to give Pacquiao a beating in their PPV (pay-per-view) welterweight fight staking no title, but is being embellished by a Diamond Belt being dangled by the WBO through its president Francisco “Paco” Valcarcel.
Pacquiao, who’ll turn 34 on Dec. 17, however, is determined to silence Marquez’s loud mouth.
“I’m 100 percent (ready),” said Pacquiao, who even did his morning run at Griffith Park. “Maintain na lang.”
Though already famished, Pacquiao spent time with ardent fan Josh Borja, a 14-year-old wheelchair-bound Filipino stricken by cerebral palsy from Glendale, California.
Marquez has also declared himself in tiptop shape in his bid to prove that he’s got Pacquiao’s number and that the judges erred in handing the eight-division world champion the draw and the two wins in their previous fights.
For Pacquiao, however, Marquez’s flaunting time is about to expire on Dec. 8 as stamped.
Pacquiao training goes live in New York’s Times Square By Roy Luarca Philippine Daily Inquirer 12:11 am | Saturday, December 1st, 2012
Manny Pacquiao’s fans in New York need not go to Hollywood to see the eight-division world champion in action.
All they have to do is go to the Nasdaq building in Times Square Friday (Saturday in Manila) and be treated to live streaming of Pacquiao’s training at the Wild Card Gym under the supervision of chief trainer Freddie Roach.
They need not worry about getting blocked from view either because the giant screen is seven stories tall and encompasses a little over 1,000 square meters of screen space.
Top Rank, through revered promoter Bob Arum, thought of the fan-oriented innovation—a one-hour live stream on TopRank.com, InsideHBOBoxing.com and other major sports, boxing and entertainment websites, simulcast on the Nasdaq building screen.
Produced by Top Rank, in association with MLB Advanced Media, in full HD (high definition) and utilizing a unique five-camera system, “Just Watch” will show an actual training session between Pacquiao and Roach as they prepare for the Filipino icon’s fourth showdown against four-division world champion and Mexican warrior Juan Manuel Marquez on Dec. 8 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
According to a Philboxing report, Just Watch will be hosted by Top Rank’s Crystina Ponche and will give fans an unprecedented view of Pacquiao’s rigorous training session in live time.
“We wanted to give boxing fans a front row seat to what training camp for a big fight is like just days away from walking into the ring,” said Todd duBoef, president of Top Rank. “This has never been done before and if we were going to present it on one of the biggest stages—Friday rush hour in Times Square—it only made sense to do it with boxing’s biggest star, Manny Pacquiao.”
Roach closes Wild Card doors for Pacquiao training By Roy Luarca Philippine Daily Inquirer
[PHOTO - Freddie Roach: Close door training from now on.]
HOLLYWOOD—Freddie Roach may be happy with the way Manny Pacquiao has been training, but the uninvited throng sneaking into the sweaty Wild Card Gym here during the afternoon sessions has frayed his nerves.
Roach has now ordered security chief, Rob Peters, to enforce a closed-door order on Saturday afternoon when Pacquiao spars for the penultimate time before wrapping up training camp and motoring to Las Vegas on Monday.
“I’m sorry guys,” Peters told Manila-based sportswriters over dinner at Nat’s Thai restaurant, around 30 meters across the famed gym. “There were so many people and hangers-on last Thursday that he (Freddie) was pissed off. He didn’t want a repeat of such situation.”
This was confirmed by publicist Fred Sternburg, who relayed to select Filipino reporters that the Thursday crowd was even bigger than when Pacquiao hosted the media on Wednesday.
If any consolation, Peters said the doors would be opened to the public and journalists as soon as Pacquiao’s sparring is over.
Pacquiao is into the tapering phase of his preparations for his fourth showdown with Juan Manuel Marquez on Dec. 8 at the MGM Grand Arena, but Roach still wants no distractions if possible.
Earlier reports had it that Pacquiao was so intense in his training that he posted a total of four knockdowns against his sparmates, including unbeaten welterweight prospect Frankie Gomez (13 wins with 10 knockouts), since his arrival in Los Angeles on Oct. 29.
A video posted on YouTube two weeks ago featured a ripped Marquez also knocking down a sparring partner. Though the knockdowns would cost Roach $4,000 in friendly wager with Pacquiao, the Hall of Fame trainer doesn’t mind a bit.
Roach wants the old Pacquiao—fiery, aggressive and relentless—back against Marquez.
With Pacquiao coming off an unexpected loss to unbeaten American Timothy Bradley in June, Roach sees a knockout win by Pacquiao as a form of vindication.
According to Cebu-based promoter and Pacquiao confidant Rex “Wakee” Salud, who arrived here on Friday evening (Saturday in Manila), he’d never seen the eight-division world champion so “focused” in training for a long time. “Even when he started his physical buildup back home in Gen. Santos City.”
Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi
© Copyright, 2012
by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved
PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE