WBO PANEL FINDS PACQUIAO THE WINNER / WBO: WE WILL ORDER A REMATCH

MANILA, JUNE 22, 2012 (PHILSTAR) The World Boxing Organization's five-member panel unanimously scored in favor of Filipino boxing icon Manny Pacquiao in his fight with American Timothy Bradley at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas last June 9.

RingTV reported that the five judges, convened by WBO President Francisco "Paco" Valcarcel, found that Pacquiao won the fight with scores the 117-111, 117-111, 118-110, 116-112, and115-113.

However, the boxing website reported that despite the unanimous decision, WBO could not overturn the controversial split-decision. It quoted Valcarcel as saying: "the only thing that we can do is authorize a rematch."

Bob Arum, who promotes both Pacquiao and Bradley, has said that the rematch could be held on November 10. However, there are reports that Pacquiao had reserved the date for a fourth faceoff with Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez.

Pacquiao lost his WBO welterweight belt to Bradley after the controversial decision of the three judges.

The Filipino boxer is currently in the Philippines. He cut short his vacation with his family in Los Angeles to attend to his constituents in Sarangani Province, where he serves as a congressman.

Pacquiao, meanwhile, said he was elated by the WBO panel's decision.

"Salamat sa naging desisyon ng mga panel at 'yun naman ang nasa puso ng mga boxing fans lalong-lalo na 'yung mga kababayan natin. Salamat sa suporta, daghang salamat," Pacquiao said in a radio interview.

Even as the decision would not allow him to regain his belt, he said the ruling of the WBO judges will keep the people's trust in boxing intact.

"Ito siguro ay hindi lang para sa akin kundi sa boxing. Mabigyan ng leksyon 'yung mga judges na gumagawa ng ganun at para 'yung tiwala ng boxing fans is nandyan palagi, 100% palagi ang suporta nila sa boxing," he said.

FROM ABS-CBN

WBO: We will order Pacquiao-Bradley rematch ABS-CBNnews.com Posted at 06/21/2012 4:11 PM | Updated as of 06/21/2012 11:23 PM

MANILA, Philippines – The World Boxing Organization’s (WBO) probe may not be able to overturn the questionable result of the Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley match last June 9.

But WBO president Paco Valcarcel said the organization can exercise its powers by ordering a rematch even if the two fighters don’t want it.

"We can't change the result but we did this review for two reasons," Valcarcel told ESPN. "If they want to make a rematch, we will approve the rematch and if they don't, we will order one.”

Bradley snatched the WBO welterweight crown from Pacquiao during their 12-round battle in Las Vegas earlier this month.

Despite a superior performance by Pacquiao, judges awarded the split-decision win to the undefeated American. Ring officials Duane Ford and CJ Ross scored the bout for Bradley, 115-113, while Jerry Roth favored Pacquiao, 115-113.

The three judges were handpicked by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC).

Boxing promoter Bob Arum was apprehensive about staging a rematch given the questionable outcome of the bout.

5 judges re-score bout

The controversial outcome prompted the WBO to commission five international judges to scrutinize and re-score the bout.

The five judges unanimously scored the bout in Pacquiao’s favor, 117-111, 117-111, 118-110, 116-112 and 115-113.

“We wanted to show (the NSAC) that they could bring in other officials from outside of Nevada who can also do a fine job judging fights. It's good to have different officials," Valcarcel said.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2012 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE