FLOYD NOW HAS NOTHING MORE TO SAY / ARUM: MAYWEATHER AFRAID OF MANNY
 

HOLLYWOOD, MARCH 3, 2012 (INQUIRER) By Greg Heakes Agence France-Presse - For once, Floyd Mayweather had nothing to say about Manny Pacquiao, deflecting questions on the Filipino fight king Thursday at a news conference to promote his fight against Miguel Cotto.

Two days after he said Pacquiao wasn’t “one of the sharpest knives in the drawer,” Mayweather insisted he just wanted to talk about his super welterweight world title fight against World Boxing Association champ Cotto coming up on May 5.

Mayweather was also reluctant to discuss New York Knicks star Jeremy Lin but said he had no regrets about recent tweets in which he said rising NBA star Lin was getting “all the hype because he’s Asian.”

“I never regret anything,” Mayweather said. “I am not here to talk about Jeremy Lin. I am not fighting Jeremy Lin.

“It is not Mayweather versus Pacquiao or Mayweather versus Jeremy Lin, it is Mayweather versus Miguel Cotto.”

Mayweather was criticized for his Lin comments, but the 35-year-old said he doesn’t plan to change his outspoken ways.

“I thought this country had freedom of speech,” he said. “Jeremy Lin I said was a good player … Anything Mayweather says finds the front page of the media. I get dragged through the mud but it doesn’t stop me.”

Mayweather criticized Pacquiao at a news conference in New York on Tuesday, saying Pacquiao’s demands on a purse split were unreasonable.

“Just speaking to Pacquiao on the phone, I mean, he’s not one of the sharpest knives in the drawer,” Mayweather said on Tuesday. “He faces Floyd Mayweather, he’s not getting 50/50. No one is getting 50/50.”

Mayweather (42-0, 26 knockouts) was in negotiations with Pacquiao for a mega-fight in May or June but talks fell through and Mayweather decided to fight Cotto instead on May 5 at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas.

Pacquiao now plans to fight on June 9 in Las Vegas against American Tim Bradley.

Pacquiao said last month that he called Mayweather to try and broker a deal but felt insulted when Mayweather offered to give him a $40 million lump-sum payment if Pacquiao agreed to let Mayweather keep the pay-per-view television earnings — which some have estimated could be as high as $160 million.

Mayweather and Cotto entered Thursday’s news conference at historic Grauman’s Chinese Theatre to a trumpet blast.

Mayweather then took his seat on an elaborate throne, while the champion sat in a smaller chair to his left.

Mayweather is coming off a controversial victory over Victor Ortiz in his last fight in September.

After a head butt in the corner, Ortiz dropped his hands and tried to apologize when Mayweather seized the moment and decked Ortiz.

“Ortiz was looking for the KO and he got KO’d,” Mayweather said. “With or without the fourth round punches he was going to get KO’d.”

Cotto (37-2, 30 knockouts) is coming off one of the most impressive victories of his career.

In December, he stopped Antonio Margarito in the 10th round, avenging his defeat by the Mexican fighter three years earlier.

“When he beat me in 2008, he took from me a lot of things, including my confidence,” the Puerto Rican said. “Then when I beat him, I got those things back.”

Cotto, 31, said he would take that added confidence into the ring against Mayweather. Although he’s the champion, Cotto is a heavy underdog, with many feeling Mayweather possesses superior speed and counter-punching ability.

“When I fought Shane Mosley in 2007, people said the same thing – that he is faster than me,” Cotto said. “But I beat him at his own game and I plan to pressure (Mayweather).”

FROM MANILA BULLETIN

Mayweather Afraid Of Manny – Arum By NICK GIONGCO March 1, 2012, 12:25am

[PHOTO - Floyd Mayweather Jr., left, and Miguel Cotto eye each other during yesterday’s news conference to promote their May 5 fight. (AP)]

MANILA, Philippines — It’s beginning to get clear that, indeed, Floyd Mayweather Jr. doesn’t want to have anything to do with Manny Pacquiao.

As Mayweather was drumbeating his May 5 fight with Miguel Cotto during the New York leg of their promotional tour, the American fighter went on the offensive again, insinuating that Pacquiao uses performance-enhancing drugs, silly and is scared to fight him.

Mayweather told the media at the Apollo Theater in Manhattan that there’s no chance that he will give in to a 50/50 sharing with just about anyone who will face him in the ring.

“You fight Floyd Mayweather, you don’t get 50/50. No one is getting 50/50 (against me),” said Mayweather.

Mayweather’s East Coast rant was heard and felt as far as the West Coast where Top Rank big boss Bob Arum was relaxing after another hard day’s work in his Las Vegas office.

Arum didn’t let Mayweather’s statements pass without spewing out his own venom.

“He just doesn’t want to fight Manny,” said the 80-year-old Hall of Fame promoter, adding that Mayweather, who he promoted for 11 years, was an “egotistical maniac.”

Arum is also in the thick of promoting Pacquiao’s June 9 bout with Tim Bradley and believes Mayweather’s reason for not agreeing to equal sharing is testament to his unwillingness to get in the ring with the Filipino star.

Pacquiao has even agreed to a major demand of Mayweather – Olympic-style blood and urine testing – but even that has prevented both camps from reaching an agreement.

During the height of the negotiations to stage the super fight last January, Pacquiao and Mayweather even talked on the phone.

Pacquiao said he told Mayweather that 50/50 is just right but Mayweather immediately thumbed it down, countering that he will instead offer him a flat fee of $40 million but won’t have no share in the pay-per-view sales.

That convinced Pacquiao that Mayweather is pricing himself out of the fight and is not sincere in making the dream fight become a reality.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2012 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE