MANNY: MY SON WANTS ME TO BEAT FLOYD BEFORE I RETIRE / LINSANITY NOW PART OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE
MANILA, FEBRUARY 25, 2012 (ABS-CBN) Boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao admitted that it’s his love ones, particularly his family, who wanted him to retire from boxing.
However, his 11-year-old son, Emmanuel Jr., made him promise something.
“[My son said] 'Dad, I want you to retire, but before, you have to fight [Floyd] Mayweather and beat him,’” Pacquiao said in Boxing Scene.
Pacquiao and Mayweather appeared headed to their long-awaited superbout especially after the American boxer made an effort to reach out the Filipino champion.
Mayweather called up Pacquiao last January to personally open up the negotiations.
“I was in the Philippines, and I told him, `We need to make this fight happen, I said I would agree to a 50-50 [split]’,” narrated the eight-division champion.
But Pacquiao, who also serves as a congressman for Sarangani province, said he was dismayed by Mayweather’s offer.
“He said, `Oh, I'll give you a $40 million guarantee, and no pay-per-view. I'll take all the pay-per-view,’” said Pacquiao.
[PHOTO - Will they ever fight?]
The Filipino superstar said he already gave in to Mayweather’s drug test demand to end all allegations that he’s been using performance enhancing drugs.
But Pacquiao said cutting him out of the pay-per-view shares is too much.
“I don't accept that offer. It's kind of embarrassing to me. It's trying to take advantage of me. He doesn't want to fight,” said Pacquiao.
The fighting congressman insisted that he always wanted to fight “Pretty Boy Floyd.”
However, he pointed out that the outspoken Mayweather is not hungry enough for face him.
“I'm willing to fight Mayweather. But I have to fight the guys who are hungry to fight me. Timothy Bradley is strong, and he can punch. He's a good boxer, so it's a challenge to fight a guy like that.”
Pacquiao: Mayweather doesn’t want to fight, I want to fight ABS-CBNnews.com Posted at 02/21/2012 3:05 PM | Updated as of 02/21/2012 10:00 PM
Pacman cites Floyd's offer as unacceptable
MANILA, Philippines – Boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao said his much-awaited showdown with Floyd Mayweather Jr. did not push through because “Pretty Boy Floyd” had no real interest in fighting him at all.
“He talks, he says all this, but you know what: He doesn’t want the fight,” Pacquiao told Yahoo! Sports’ Kevin Iole.
Pacquiao cited his negotiations with Mayweather last January as proof of this claim.
He said Mayweather was forcing him to accept an offer that is “financially unacceptable.”
“He offered me $40 million, and no pay-per-view [money],” Pacquiao said. “No pay-per-view. Can you believe that? Would you do that? Come on. What would he say if I offered him $50 million – not $40 million, $50 million – and said ‘No pay-per-view. Take this money and be happy, but no pay-per-view.’ He wouldn’t do it, either.”
Pacquiao stressed that he wanted to fight Mayweather, but said that getting shortchanged in their share of revenue is unfair.
The fight is seen to earn as much as $160 million in pay-per-view money, and Pacquiao felt that he deserves a fair share.
“I told him, ‘OK, 50-50 [with the money] and I’ll agree to everything else,’ ” Pacquiao said. “I told him I would agree to all of the other things he was demanding. Everything. Even the blood testing he wanted, I would do it. But it had to be 50-50.”
Pacquiao said he later directed his adviser, Michael Koncz, to offer Mayweather a guarantee of $50 million.
He said the rest of revenue will be split, with 55 percent going to the winner and 45 percent going to the loser.
Pacquiao said he never heard from Mayweather’s camp since then.
“Manny authorized me to do that and I went forward with it, but it went nowhere,” Koncz said. “That was it.”
Mayweather then announced he would be fighting Puerto Rico’s Miguel Cotto on May 5. The unbeaten boxer claimed that “Miss Pac Man” was ducking him.
Pacquiao, on the other hand, settled for a fight against junior welterweight champion Timothy Bradley.
The Filipino champion said the mega fight didn’t push through not because of him.
Pacquiao blamed Mayweather for not giving fans the fight they wanted.
“I want the fight. I’m the one who has wanted this fight all along.”
'Lin-sanity' becomes part of the English language ABS-CBNnews.com Posted at 02/23/2012 6:00 PM | Updated as of 02/23/2012 7:07 PM
MANILA, Philippines – He revived the New York Knicks and became one of the fastest rising stars in the NBA. Now, Jeremy Lin has another achievement after the word 'Lin-sanity' was recognized as part of the English language.
Lin-sanity, "the excitement generated by the rapid ascension of the undrafted, unheralded, 23-year-old Jeremy Lin of the New York Knicks basketball team," has been recognized as an English language word by the Global Language Monitor (GLM).
"Lin-sanity, following the ascension of the word 'tebowing' so quickly, might herald the beginning of a linguistic fad, where the names of sports personalities are blended with conventional terms," said Paul JJ Payack, GLM president and chief word analyst.
Blending the names of sports stars with ordinary words create "interesting new word forms that convey the achievement, personality or other characteristic of the competitor," Payack added.
Last December 2011, 'Tebowing' – the act of taking a knee in prayerful reflection in the midst of an athletic activity – entered the English language.
The word developed after Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow was photographed kneeling in prayer after his team’s victory against the Miami Dolphins.
GLM recognizes new words after they meet the criteria of 25,000 citations across the breadth of the English-speaking world. It requires "depth of usage in books, journals and periodicals, on the Internet, blogosphere, social media and in the top 75,000 global and electronic media."
'Linsanity' has surpassed all these criteria, GLM said.
The Knicks have won eight of their last 10 games, and most recently defeated the Atlanta Hawks, 99-82, behind 17 points and nine assists from Lin. They are set to face one of the league'’s best teams, the Miami Heat, on Friday.
Lin has also been chosen to participate in the NBA's Rising Stars Challenge during the All-Star Weekend in Orlando.
Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi
© Copyright, 2012
by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved
PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE