MAYWEATHER TALKING TO INVESTORS ON A FUTURE FIGHT W/ PACQUIAO

MANILA, JANUARY 12, 2012 (STANDARD) by Ronnie Nathanielsz - TOP Rank promoter Bob Arum said that while he can’t figure out the Floyd Mayweather Jr. situation, he knows that the American fighter is meeting a group of investors on a future fight against pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao.

“I know he is meeting with this group that said they would guarantee (a fight between the two),” Arum told the Manila Standard. “Let’s see what happens, but this investors’ group has money.”

Arum committed he would guarantee Pacquiao’s purse in a Mayweather fight, but indicated the American fighter is searching for “outside parties to guarantee his own purse,” which justifies his meeting with the wealthy investors.

The Top Rank promoter said he believes that Mayweather calling out Pacquiao for a May 5 fight is mere posturing and that a fight in November is likely.

“It (November fight) makes all the sense in the world,” said

Arum, who added that both Pacquiao and Mayweather want the fight to happen and that the undefeated boxer’s actions and statements the past few days are actually helping hype a future fight.

Meanwhile, Robert Guerrero has been removed as a possible Mayweather opponent on May 5 because of negative reactions to a fighter, who is coming off a shoulder injury and is merely a lightweight compared to the welterweight Floyd.

Bob Arum (photo) said he learned Mayweather’s camp had decided to put the money up for Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez, after initially refusing to pay what the Mexican he wanted.

“They are just floundering around,” said Arum, who also bluntly stated that while Miguel Cotto was also being considered as a possible opponent for May 5, “they (Mayweathers) are not going to get him.”

The Top Rank promoter conceded that Team Mayweather will do a little bit of business by fighting Alvarez, because the undefeated World Boxing Council light middleweight champion “is alright.”

WBC president Don Jose Sulaiman told Manila Standard earlier that Alvarez was not yet ready to take on a fighter of the caliber of Mayweather, but thinks “it will be a good fight.”

Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz said that there was no change in their position regarding a fight with Mayweather.

“We never agreed to May 5,” said Koncz, who however confirmed they agreed on a 50-50 revenue split.

Koncz didn’t disclose whether this was agreed upon when he met privately with Mayweather in his Las Vegas Gym several weeks ago.

FROM PHILSTAR SPORTS

Manny wants 50-50 share with Floyd By Abac Cordero (The Philippine Star) Updated January 13, 2012 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - There’s no way Manny Pacquiao and his promoter Bob Arum are ducking Floyd Mayweather Jr.

They are just making sure that the superfight, if it ever takes place, will be planned and staged the way it should be.

That means a 50-50 share of the purse between the two superstars, and that it takes place either late May or early June.

In Las Vegas of course.

“Right now there’s no development. Obviously we’re waiting to hear from the Mayweather people,” said Arum from the lounge of Makati Shangri-La.

“But we’re prepared to do the fight in May,” added the legendary promoter, contrary to reports that he’s the only one who doesn’t want the fight to happen.

Arum sat down with Pacquiao upon his arrival in Manila last Tuesday, and another meeting is scheduled tomorrow before the Top Rank chief flies home to Las Vegas.

Arum said he needs to talk to Pacquiao regarding the “alternate opponent” just in case nothing comes out of the latest talks of the superfight taking place soon.

“It will be late in May,” added Arum.

“But the problem remains the same in that no one from Mayweather’s side would guarantee his purse,” added Arum, saying not even Golden Boy could guarantee Mayweather’s purse.

“I can only guarantee Manny’s purse, but if Floyd wants to make a deal with me then I’m open to that. I can guarantee his purse but I then I will have a share in his revenue,” Arum added.

“That’s why we need to hear from him (Mayweather),” he said.

Golden Boy has helped put up Mayweather’s last few fights, although on paper Oscar dela Hoya’s firm doesn’t have the promotional rights on the flamboyant boxer.

Mayweather has been all over the Twitter pages calling on Pacquiao to a fight on May 5 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

He called Pacquiao a “punk” and dared him to a fight. In his latest tweet yesterday he said, “I’m ready to put my belt up. What about you Manny Pacquiao? Let’s make history.”

Pacquiao is not hooked on Twitter, and the last time he was on it was last Dec. 18 when he thanked all those who greeted him on his birthday the day before.

Pacquiao said he’s ready to fight Mayweather in May, but not at the MGM, not on the 5th because Arum thinks it’s not going to be a wise move.

Arum said instead of the 17,000-seat Grand Garden, they should hold the fight in a temporary arena that will be put up in one vacant lot along The Strip, one that can seat more than 40,000 people.

“It should be by the end of May in that special arena because we’re not going to leave $30 million behind in gate revenues,” said Pacquiao’s chief adviser, Mike Koncz.

“There’s no problem with me as long as it’s a 50/50 split,” said Pacquiao, dropping an earlier stand that he’s willing to get the smaller share of the purse with Mayweather.

The two fighters can make at least $50 million each for the fight, with additional revenues of another $100 million in pay-per-view, ticket sales, TV rights and merchandise.

It should be the biggest fight in boxing history, and Arum said he wants it to happen but at the proper time and the proper place.

Mayweather was supposed to go to jail last Jan. 6 and serve a 30-day sentence for a battery case in 2010, but the Las Vegas judge has suspended the term until June.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2012 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE