ARUM IN MANILA TO MAP OUT PACQUIAO 2012 FIGHT CALENDAR
MANILA, JANUARY 4, 2011 (BULLETIN) Bob Arum will spend a few days in Manila starting next week to map out Manny Pacquiao’s future.
Fresh from spending the holidays in Mexico, Arum, the 80-year-old Hall of Fame promoter, believes he will have the blueprint for 2012 by the time he heads back to the US to begin talks with the fighter Pacquiao will choose as his next opponent for a May or June date.
Being considered are Tim Bradley and Lamont Peterson of the US, Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico and Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico and Arum told the Bulletin that he doesn’t know what’s in Pacquiao’s mind.
“I haven’t talked to Manny and that will happen when I get there next week,” said Arum, who will be joined in the trip by Mike Koncz, the Filipino fighter’s Canadian adviser.
“He (Pacquiao) decides,” said Arum.
Bradley, the unbeaten world champion at 140 lbs, is high on the list since he, like Peterson, hasn’t fought Pacquiao.
Pacquiao has beaten Marquez twice and mauled Cotto in Nov. 2009 and members of Team Pacquiao are of the opinion that it’s time for their boss to take on a new challenge.
Floyd Mayweather was the top priority but owing to his impending 90-day imprisonment, Pacquiao was forced to look elsewhere.
Bradley is also under Top Rank like Pacquiao, making it easier for Arum to come up with a juicy deal that will compel the 28-year-old California native to sign his name above the dotted line.
Bradley signed up with Arum last year and soon after, he found himself seeing action underneath a major show featuring Pacquiao against Marquez where he beat up Joel Casamayor.
Sporting a 29-0 win-loss card with 12 knockouts, Bradley is ranked on the top ten list of pound-for-pound fighters.
Arum expects Pacquiao to fight twice this year, in May or June, and in November against Mayweather.
Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi
© Copyright, 2012
by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved
PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE