FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR'S  JAIL TERM IMPERILS MEGAFIGHT

[PHOTO - Floyd Mayweather]

LAS VEGAS, DECEMBER 23, 2011 (STAR) By AP – Boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. was sentenced Wednesday to 90 days in a Las Vegas jail after pleading guilty to a reduced battery domestic violence charge and no contest to two harassment charges.

The 34-year-old Mayweather also was ordered to complete 100 hours of community service and pay a $2,500 fine.

The plea deal avoids trial on felony allegations that the undefeated prizefighter hit his ex-girlfriend and threatened two of their children during an argument at her home in September 2010.

Prosecutor Lisa Luzaich told Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa that Mayweather has been in trouble before and hasn’t been punished.

“He just continually gets himself into trouble and he is able to get himself out of it as well,” she said. “Essentially it is because he is who he is and is able to get away with everything.”

“The only thing that’s going to get this man’s attention is incarceration,” the prosecutor said.

Mayweather stood still in a striped olive vest and showed no reaction when the judge imposed the sentence and told him he must report to the Clark County jail on Jan. 6.

Mayweather’s lawyer, Karen Winckler, said she may appeal what she called an unusual sentence.

Mayweather would likely serve most of the 90-day sentence, but could serve several weeks less if he gets credit for good behavior, said Officer Bill Cassell, a Las Vegas police spokesman.

Mayweather and his manager, Leonard Ellerbe, declined comment outside the courtroom.

Winckler had argued that the public would benefit more if Mayweather performs 100 hours of community service with children.

The judge said she was swayed by Mayweather’s admission that he hit Josie Harris and twisted her arm, and that two of their children, ages 9 and 10 witnessed the attack.

Saragosa noted that police reported Mayweather threatened to kill or make Harris “disappear,” and that their 10-year-old son ran from the house and jumped a back gate to fetch security. Mayweather had taken cellphones belonging to Harris and the two boys, she said.

“Punishment is appropriate,” Saragosa said. “No matter who you are, you have consequences to your actions when they escalate to this level of violence.”

FLOYD TWEETED IN NOVEMBER

Floyd Jr tweets: Let's do it By Abac Cordero (The Philippine Star) Updated November 30, 2011 12:00 AM

Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao

MANILA, Philippines - Floyd Mayweather Jr. wants the fight against Manny Pacquiao, and said the ball is now in the hands of the Filipino superstar.

The undefeated American finally broke his silence following reports or speculations that negotiations are on for the great showdown between him and Pacquiao.

Mayweather said on Twitter he’s hoping for the fight to happen on May 5. He said he can sign the contract anytime, and expects Pacquiao to follow.

“May 5, 2012,” was his latest tweet as of 4 p.m. yesterday (Manila time).

He must be looking forward to the day he gets to fight Pacquiao and finally provide the answer as to who the greatest boxer of this era is.

Some consider Pacquiao as the reigning pound-for-pound champion, and the others consider Mayweather as the best, considering Pacquiao’s performance against Juan Manuel Marquez last Nov. 12.

Mayweather yesterday sounded like he can’t wait for the fight to finally happen.

And if it does, there’s no other place to do it than Las Vegas. Mayweather should be the favorite as well, and betting lines already have him at -140, and Pacquiao at +110.

“I’ve been told May 5 is open,” Mayweather was quoted in a CNN article.

“Losing is in Pacquiao’s mind because he lost just last week. He lost to Marquez three times. May 5 is the date, sign the contract, I’m waiting,” he said.

Pacquiao barely got past Marquez when Mayweather breezed past the Mexican in 2009. Pacquiao said Mayweather must have seen the fight that he is no longer afraid to face him.

“Nakita niya siguro yung laban ko kay Marquez kaya hindi na siya takot (He must’ve seen my fight against Marquez that’s why he’s not scared of me anymore),” said Pacquiao.

Mayweather is 34 and Pacquiao is turning 33. Boxing chronicler Michael Marley said the other day both fighters must have realized they’re getting old, and should do the fight now.

“I can’t be sitting waiting all day, you want to fight let’s make it happen. I’m here. I’m waiting. What’s going on? I can sign today. If I sign today you better sign tomorrow,” Mayweather said.

“You said you’re a clean athlete and you said you’d take the test so let’s do it,” added Mayweather.

The fight that should break all existing records in boxing, from fight purse to pay-per-view sales, came close to happening twice, but for so many reasons it never did.

The drug-testing procedure stood in between the two fighters, but Top Rank’s Bob Arum said it’s no longer an issue this time, if and when negotiations formally resume.

It’s more about the purse split, and again, with all the money on the table, experts think there’s no reason why both camps can’t find ways to make the fight happen.

“I hope that fight does happen. I think it would be the best fight in the world and I would love to see it,” said Pacquiao’s chief trainer, Freddie Roach.

Moments after Pacquiao defeated Marquez, the reigning WBO welterweight champion called Mayweather’s name.

“Let’s get it on. Make the fight happen and let’s give people a good fight,” Pacquiao said on top of the ring.

Yes, finally, it could happen.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2009  by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE