GBP EXECUTIVE DENIES $65-M PACMAN OFFER TO FIGHT IN MEXICO
MANILA, JUNE 8, 2011 (STAR) [PHOTO - Richard Shaefer] - Rumors of the world’s richest man offering Manny Pacquiao $65 million to fight in Mexico will remain as that – rumors.
This after Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Shaefer, in a report by Ring Magazine’s Michael Rosenthal, claimed to have spoken directly with Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim, who denied offering such a deal to Pacquiao.
“I have a nice relationship with the Slim people and I talked directly to Mr. Slim. It’s not true,” Schaefer told Rosenthal.
The GBP chief’s statement came a few days after reports on Slim allegedly dangling a $65 million purse on Pacquiao to fight in Mexico appeared over the Internet.
The reports named former Ilocos Sur Gov. Chavit Singson, a close associate of Pacquiao, as the source of the news.
Slim, currently the world’s richest man with a total net worth of at least $70 billion, is reported to be a major boxing patron, having supported the Mexico-based World Boxing Council.
Under the purported deal, Pacquiao will face rising prospect Saul Alvarez (36-0-1), who is fighting under the GBP banner.
The Filipino icon is booked to face Juan Manuel Marquez in November.
Reports of Slim’s alleged fight offer to Pacquiao is the latest concerning the WBO welterweight champion. Just last week, Top Rank chief Bob Arum claimed that Floyd Mayweather Jr. turned down $65 million to face Pacquiao.
“The offer came from legitimate people in Singapore. Mayweather turned it down,” Arum told in an interview with videographer Elie Sechbach.
In a separate report by examiner.com, sources from GBP said Mayweather will make a comeback fight against WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz on Sept. 17 at the Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Texas, site of Pacquiao’s fights against Joshua Clottey and Antonio Margarito.
The undefeated Mayweather has not fought since outpointing Shane Mosley in May 2009.– Dino Maragay/Contributor
Pacquiao offered $65M to fight Alvarez in Mexico By Gil C. Cabacungan Philippine Daily Inquirer 4:51 pm | Sunday, June 5th, 2011 50Share51Related stories:Arum calls Singson to explore Slim $65-M offer
Photo by AP
MANILA—Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim has offered $65 million to Filipino boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao to fight in Mexico next year with one of Mexico’s up-and-coming fighters.
This was revealed yesterday by Ilocos Sur Gov. Luis “Chavit” Singson, a long-time confidante of Pacquiao, who said that negotiations with Slim, the world’s wealthiest man, have already started and that Pacquiao was interested in the guaranteed money.
Singson’s report came after Top Rank’s Bob Arum revealed that American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. had turned down a $65 million offer from a Singaporean group to fight Pacquiao.
In a phone interview, Singson said that Slim had told him about his desire to host one of Pacquiao’s fights as a favor to his countrymen who have been looking to see Pacquiao fight on their soil.
The $65 million offer to Pacquiao was guaranteed by Slim, who would pick the Mexican opponent for the world’s best pound-for-pound boxer.
He said Slim is looking at WBC light middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez as likely opponent for Pacquiao.
The unbeaten Alvarez is just 21 and holds an awesome 36-0-1 record with 26 knockouts.
Since 1995, Pacquiao has figured in more than a dozen fights with Mexican or Mexican and Mexican-Americans such as Oscar De La Hoya, Erik Morales, Marco Antonio Barrera and Juan Manuel Marquez but he has never fought in Mexico.
He added that unlike Mayweather, Pacquiao would not turn down $65 million especially since he still has to find his match in the ring.
“I think Manny is still at his peak,” said Singson.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. turns down $65M to fight Pacman By Ronnie Nathanielsz Philippine Daily Inquirer 2:45 am | Sunday, June 5th, 2011 30Share33
Photo by AP
MANILA—Floyd Mayweather Jr. has turned down a $65 million offer to fight pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao.
Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told the Inquirer over the phone yesterday that the unprecedented offer was made by a Singapore group that handles special events and other projects for big casino complexes and other entities in the island state.
Arum said that Mayweather demanded $10 million even before he and the Singaporeans could discuss a possible Pacquiao fight. “This guy (Mayweather Jr.) is totally out of his mind,”
Arum said. Arum said that the Singapore group flew to Los Angeles to negotiate. The Top Rank promoter added the group told him “they never experienced such craziness in their lives.”
Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz confirmed the meeting, saying: “Mayweather wanted the $10 million up front before he would event talk to them.” “There are no excuses this time, nobody to blame,” said Koncz. “He just doesn’t want to fight Manny.
Where are you going to get $65 million? Even after tax and everything it would come down to $30 or 40 million and that’s a lot of money.”
Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi
© Copyright, 2009
by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved
PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE