MARQUEZ OKs TERMS TO FIGHT PACMAN / PACMAN-MOSLEY FIGHT BROKE 1M IN PPV

[PHOTO - WHO SHOULD MANNY FIGHT NEXT?]

MANILA, MAY 11, 2011 (STAR) By Dino Maragay – Juan Manuel Marquez has approved the terms offered by Top Rank Inc. for a fight with Manny Pacquiao in November, The Los Angeles Times reported today.

Golden Boy Promotions, Marquez's promoter, has the contractual ability to match Top Rank's offer to Marquez.

Richard Schaefer, Golden Boy's chief executive, said Top Rank is offering Marquez $5 million to fight Pacquiao at a catch weight of 144 pounds.

Pacquiao and Marquez previously figured in two controversial bouts – one that ended in a disputed draw in 2009 and the other resulting in a split-decision win for Pacquiao in 2008.

Trainer Freddie Roach has been very vocal about making a Pacquiao-Marquez rubber match.

“The only sensible fight out of the three is Marquez, in my opinion. They have history,” Roach said a few days after Pacquiao won via a unanimous decision over Shane Mosley at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas last Sunday.

Pacquiao-Mayweather could be another yawn SPORTS FOR ALL By Philip Ella Juico (The Philippine Star) Updated May 11, 2011 12:00 AM 

LAS VEGAS – “Only one guy came to fight”, were the words uttered by trainer Freddie Roach as we were huddled in one corner of Manny Pacquiao’s dressing room waiting for the signal of Malacañang’s Lito Nadal from Jakarta where President Benigno Aquino III was attending the 18th Association of Southeast Nations (ASEAN) leaders’ summit, to get Pacquiao on the line for the congratulatory greetings of President Aquino. It was a little past 10 p.m. (Saturday in Las Vegas), around 12 noon (Sunday) in Jakarta. The call did come in around 3:30 a.m. (Sunday) in Las Vegas and 5:30 p.m., same day, in Jakarta.

Indeed, Roach’s words aptly described what happened that Saturday evening at the MGM Grand Arena when Shane Mosley, the 39-year old challenger to Pacquiao’s World Boxing Organization welterweight title and 18-year veteran, lost his appetite to engage Pacquiao in the much-anticipated battle between two warriors.

While Pacquiao was installed a 6-1 favorite (some said it went as high as 8 to 1 and even 11 to 1), Mosley hinted of a major upset saying, “It’s going to get very interesting, very quick”.

The fight did become interesting when Pacquiao decked the future Hall of Famer with a straight left hand with 1:17 to go in the third round that seemed to finally convince Mosley that Pacquiao packed power in his fists. In Ed Graney’s front page Commentary in the Las Vegas Review-Journal the day after the fight, Mosley was quoted to have said, “I just fought the best fighter in the world. He is fast. Faster than anyone I have ever fought. He has power. He has exceptional power. I’ve never been hit like that before.”

Pacquiao for his part said, while cooling down and waiting for long-time trainer Buboy Fernandez to prepare his shower, he tried his best to make a go of the fight but “Mosley did not want to go toe-to-toe.”

After landing on the canvas in the third round, Mosley spent the rest of the time backpedalling, failing to unleash his potent right hook for fear that he would open himself to Pacquiao’s fearsome left. Several rounds later, Mosley seemed to be arm weary as he started to drop his hands while Pacquiao relentlessly pursued him.

The rest of the fight was a tribute to Pacquiao’s patience as he opted to create openings and to attack at the proper moment. Meanwhile, Mosley continued to be confused by Pacquiao whom Mosley trainer Naazim Richardson compared to a Rubik’s Cube, according to Steve Carp, also of the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Unknown of course to the 16,412 live audience at MGM and the millions watching the fight on television, both Pacquiao and Mosley were struggling with health issues: Pacquiao suffered leg cramps from the fourth round onward while Mosley claims to have developed a blister on the bottom of his right foot in the sixth round which restricted his mobility. Carp said that “things got so bad that (Richardson) considered stopping the fight after the sixth”.

Mosley, now 46-7-1, certainly missed the opportunity to embellish a career which is obviously about to end. He was given the rare chance to lock horns with the Filipino icon despite lackluster performances in his most recent bouts and regain his so-called marketability but it looks like it’s time for the multi-division champion to hang up his gloves. He is however, at least $5 million richer.

Roach, despite being upset with Mosley for failing to give it his best, saw some positive aspects in the fight saying, “it was a courageous performance by Manny, given the circumstances. He was fighting on one leg for most of the fight, but still dominated Mosley.” The 51-year old Roach, four-time Trainer of the Year , added more credits to his ever expanding resume by allowing America’s elite amateur boxers preparing for the 2012 Olympics in London, access to his services at his Wild Card Boxing club.

Graney’s sarcastic response to Mosley’s remark that Pacquiao was the hardest hitter he encountered was, “It’s amazing he was hit much at all given how defensive he became early on. Pacquiao so dominated the fight he got the nod of all three judges: 119-108, 120-108, 120-107. I was a bit more generous to Mosley who looked terrified after the third round knockdown, scoring it 118-110.

If there is anything that raises fears about a Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight, it could also be the latter’s defensive nature, certainly a factor in his being undefeated all these years. Mayweather is probably the most defensive fighter nowadays and not even the most aggressive hype of Bob Arum will make Mayweather change his style. If the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight pushes through which, everyone says, boxing needs, it could result in another big yawn.

Report: Pacquiao-Mosley generated at least 1.2 million PPV buys By Dino Maragay (philstar.com) Updated May 11, 2011 01:46 PM 

MANILA, Philippines – Another Manny Pacquiao fight broke the one-million pay-per-view barrier.

According to a report by boxingscene.com's Chris LaBate, Top Rank chief Bob Arum, citing early projections, said Pacquiao's fight with Shane Mosley last Sunday generated at least 1.2 million PPV buys.

Arum reportedly revealed the figure to the New York Times, adding that the official number of PPV buys will be known at the end of the week.

Pacquiao's unanimous decision victory over Mosley at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas was aired on Showtime.

The Filipino icon's previous fights with Oscar De La Hoya, Miguel Cotto, Antonio Margarito and Joshua Clottey also sold over one million in PPV.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2009  by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE