WBO CHIEF: PACQUIAO IS OUT OF THIS WORLD / MANNY STILL BETTORS' BET
MANILA, APRIL 18, 2011 (BULLETIN) By NICK GIONGCO (PHOTO - Manny Pacquiao during his Baguio training. Manny Pacquiao during his Baguio training.)
The World Boxing Organization (WBO) leadership has described pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao as being “out of this world.”
WBO president Francisco ‘Paco’ Valcarcel told the Bulletin from Puerto Rico on Friday that Pacquiao is somebody any boxing body would love to have as one of their champions.
“It’s a real honor for us in the WBO to have him as our champion,” said Valcarel in a short chat that was facilitated by Top Rank big boss Bob Arum, who is in Puerto Rico for a big fight there Saturday (Sunday In Manila) starring Juan Manuel Lopez.
Pacquiao is the reigning WBO welterweight champion and he will be making a defense of that title against Shane Mosley on May 7 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Valcarcel said that while the Pacquiao-Mosley duel will be for the WBO crown, the state of Nevada will assign the officials who will work the fight except for the appointment of the fight supervisor.
Valcercel said Leon Panoncillo of Hawaii, who is of Filipino lineage, will be the fight supervisor.
Meanwhile, Kermit Cintron, known as “The Killer” owing to his dreaded punching power, has been added to the growing list of potential Pacquiao opponents after Top Rank signed up the Puerto Rican puncher.
Cintron, who has a 31-2-1 win-loss-draw record with 27 knockouts, is now being eyed by Top Rank chief Bob Arum as a potential Pacquiao foe in the event the Filipino star gets past Mosley next month.
Cintron is known for going 12 rounds with current world middleweight champion Sergio Martinez of Argentina when they fought to a 12-round draw more than two months ago.
Martinez is now widely considered as the being second only to Pacquiao in the pound-for-pound ratings.
Despite Mosley’s efforts, Pacquiao still bettors’ bet By NICK GIONGCO April 17, 2011, 8:09pm
MANILA, Philippines — After holding court in his high-altitude training camp in Big Bear, California, last week and showing the media that he is peaking very well, you'd think the world's perception on Shane Mosley would change a bit.
A look at the latest odds shows that Mosley's marquee opponent, pound for pound king Manny Pacquiao, on May 7 in Las Vegas remains the huge favorite in their scheduled 12-round World Boxing Organization welterweight match-up at the MGM Grand.
Sportsbook lists Pacquiao a -800 favorite and Mosley a +500 underdog, meaning an $800 bet on Pacquiao would only win $100 and a mere $100 wager on Mosley would win $500.
That, despite of Mosley’s no-nonsense preparation.
Even Pacquiao's Canadian adviser Mike Koncz was surprised with the way Mosley appeared when he faced the media last Tuesday.
"Mosley looks in real great shape," said Koncz, who had obviously seen the American puncher's photos on the internet as he was working out for the media. "His body is toned and you can see that he is taking the fight very seriously," added Koncz.
Mosley actually beat Pacquiao to the punch as he reported for training camp some 10 days before the Filipino actually went up to Baguio City with Freddie Roach.
At 39 years old, Mosley believes he still has a lot of championship juice left and that the world will be in for a shock come fight night. Mosley said he prefers to win big – as in by knockout – against Pacquiao.
But Pacquiao is also eyeing the same kind of ending as nobody has yet stop Mosley dead in his tracks. Although Mosley has suffered a few losses, he has never been stopped in his stellar career.
But Pacquiao's handlers are upbeat the first time will be on May 7.
Pacquiao right on target, says Buboy By NICK GIONGCO April 16, 2011, 11:50pm
(Multi-awarded trainer Buboy Fernandez hoists Manny Pacquiao after the Filipino fighter knocked out David Diaz of the US in this file photo dated June 2008. Multi-awarded trainer Buboy Fernandez hoists Manny Pacquiao after the Filipino fighter knocked out David Diaz of the US in this file photo dated June 2008.)
MANILA, Philippines – Save for his big boss’s first two fights on United States shores, Buboy Fernandez has been lending a hand to Freddie Roach in taking charge of Manny Pacquiao’s corner since 2002.
So when Fernandez, whose association with Pacquiao stretches back to the days of the old Team Pacquiao, says his childhood chum is right on target, you better believe him.
Fernandez said Pacquiao is on cue with three weeks remaining before the May 7 welterweight war with Shane Mosley and that the training of the pound-for-pound king hardly misses a beat.
“Walang tayong kaba sa laban,”said Fernandez said from Los Angeles.
Fernandez wasn’t actually bragging when he uttered those words since he has been assisting Roach the past few weeks and is the man in charge in the brief absence of the Wild Card guru.
Roach left for England earlier in the week to call the shots in the corner of British star Amir Khan, who has a fight scheduled Saturday in Manchester.
Pacquiao adviser Mike Koncz said Roach will be back at the Wild Card on Monday to resume training the 32-year-old Pacquiao.
Of course, Fernandez is not basing his assessment of Pacquiao’s winning chances on sheer friendship alone as he has been doing his homework by studying Mosley’s fights almost every single night before he goes to bed.
Asked if he has already placed his bet, Fernandez brushed the suggestion aside.
“Ang importante ay manalo,” said Fernandez, who is not at all bothered by the 6-1 odds that favor Pacquiao.
Based on what Fernandez has been seeing in the gym, it appears that Pacquiao’s lofty billing among oddsmakers could really be fit and proper.
Fernandez made his US debut as an assistant to Roach when Pacquiao faced Jorge Eliecer Julio underneath the Lennox Lewis-Mike Tyson clash at the Pyramid Arena in Memphis.
Although he had been with Pacquiao even before Pacquiao staged his rousing US debut in June 2001, Fernandez only got the opportunity to go to the US after the late promoter Rod Nazario facilitated his travel documents.
Fernandez was not around when Pacquiao bludgeoned Lehlo Ledwaba and drew with Agapito Sanchez but made his American debut during the Julio fight.
Meanwhile, Pacqiuao had to skip training Friday (Saturday in Manila) because he had to fulfill several medical requirements in relation to the fight.
“It’s the usual medical examinations that he takes,” said Koncz, who joined Pacquiao to a medical facility in the neighboring city of San Pedro.
The one-day break could might even be good for Pacquiao since he had gone 10 rounds in sparring on Thursday.
“Everything’s just great about his training,” said Koncz.
Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi
© Copyright, 2009
by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved
PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE