PACMAN TO APPEAR IN CBS '60 MINUTES' / TALK n TEXT WALKOUT RIGHT DECISION
[Photo is loading... Manny Pacquiao]
MANILA, FEBRUARY 9, 2010 (STAR) Manny Pacquiao is being lined up for a special appearance on “60 Minutes” the long-running and award-winning television newsmagazine of CBS.
Top Rank’s main man Bob Arum, Michael Marley of The Examiner wrote yesterday, said a CBS crew will soon begin shooting clips of Pacquiao as he trains at the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles for a March 13 fight.
It was not clear, however, if Pacquiao would appear on the 42-year-old program before or after his March 13 showdown with Ghana’s Joshua Clottey at the Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
What’s important, Arum, however, said, is that Pacquiao has truly crossed all the boundaries as the greatest boxer of his era.
“It just shows that interest in Manny has transcended sports, gone beyond that,” Arum said.
“Good Morning America on the ABC network is also going to do something on Manny. It is really phenomenal how the interest is widening on Pacman,” said the ageless boxing promoter and Harward lawyer.
Last year, as Pacquiao waged and won big battles against Ricky Hatton and Miguel Cotto, the reigning pound-for-pound champion also scored a very big hit by landing on the cover of Time Magazine.
He also appeared at the Jimmy Kimmel Show in LA, and graced a few pages of Sports Illustrated. He was chosen as Fighter of the Decade by Ring Magazine and ESPN, and will soon be honored by the Boxing Writers Association of America. – Abac Cordero
No regrets, walkout right decision - MVP By Nelson Beltran (The Philippine Star) Updated February 09, 2010 12:00 AM
[Photo is loading... Smart-PLDT chair Manny Pangilinan and team supporters watch Game Five of the Talk n Text- Ginebra quarterfinal series at the Big Dome Sunday. JUN MENDOZA]
MANILA, Philippines - Despite their failed semifinal bid in the KFC PBA Philippine Cup, Smart-PLDT chairman Manny V. Pangilinan said he had no regrets in backing his Talk n Text team’s walkout against Barangay Ginebra Friday night.
“It was the right decision under the circumstances,” he said.
Pangilinan, however, reiterated that the entire team will be evaluated after Talk n Text’s sorry exit Sunday night, marking the end of Tropang Texters’ reign as PBA Philippine Cup champions.
The Texters swept the Gin Kings in the first two games of their best-of-five series but dropped the next three, including a forfeiture in Game 4 after they walked out in the first quarter in protest over officiating.
The team instead settled for fifth in the tourney which they ruled over the Alaska Milk Aces last season.
Ginebra, meanwhile, completed a comeback from that 0-2 deficit with a 113-100 win Sunday, gaining the right to play Alaska Milk in the best-of-seven semis.
“It’s difficult to say what will happen because (our campaign) has just finished. For sure, we’ll evaluate the performance of everybody. We’ll see what went wrong and what went right,” said Pangilinan, who with his Tropang Texters were the last group to leave the Araneta Coliseum Sunday.
Pangilinan, furious over officiating in the first four games of the series, said he was satisfied with the way the calls were made in the do-or-die match.
“Ginebra played very well and they deserved to win. We didn’t play as well as we should have, but it happens,” said Pangilinan.
The series may be over for Talk n Text but it still faces stiff sanction from the PBA for its Game Four walkout.
The league basic fine for a walkout or forfeiture is P500,000. At presstime, the Commissioner’s Office is still looking at other compensations like lost TV income to be imposed on the ballclub.
The Talk n Text management, however, maintained walking out of Game Four was the right move to stress their stand on officiating.
“We will not hesitate to walk out again if such unfairness continues. We cannot, as a matter of principle, tolerate biased officiating in the PBA,” said Talk n Text board representative Ricky Vargas before they returned to play Sunday.
In Game Five, Talk n Text supporters wore yellow shirts bearing a line “Be Fair.”
The Texters, however, seemed to have lost their focus, and the Kings pounced on the situation to make it three in a row, matching historic comeback feats from such deficits by Crispa and Purefoods.
Talk n Text thus joined early casualties Barako Bull, Sta. Lucia Realty, Burger King, Coca-Cola and Rain or Shine in the sideline.
Meanwhile, JC Intal bagged the KFC-Accel Player of the Week honors after stepping up for Ginebra’s stirring comeback in the series.
The former Ateneo Eagle capped his impressive showing with a double-double game in Game Five with 28 points and 10 rebounds.
Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi
© Copyright, 2010
by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved
PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE