BEERMEN  TAKE  RED  BULL  BY  THE  HORNS

MANILA,
FEBRUARY 3, 2007
(STAR) By Nelson Beltran - San Miguel coach Chot Reyes called one simple play before the game: "12 for 48."

The Beermen responded to the challenge with all of them working hard and playing well throughout to wallop the Red Bull side, 111-82, to move on the brink of the Talk n Text PBA Philippine Cup finals at the Araneta Coliseum last night.

"I’m proud and happy with the focus we came out with in this ballgame. We’d yet to play a solid game for 48 minutes so my call was simple before the game – 12 for 48 — or whoever five on the court to work hard throughout," said Reyes.

"Regardless of what the other team put up, all we have to do is play well for 48 minutes. We lost the last game in the last two minutes," Reyes added.

The Beermen did work hard from the opening tip to the final buzzer, dealing the Bulls their second worst loss in franchise history. Red Bull’s worst defeat was a 68-102 blowout by San Miguel itself in 2002.

San Miguel bounced back from its shocking defeat in Game Three with seven Beermen scoring in double figures.

Danny Seigle scored a game-high 21 points and hauled down eight rebounds while Olsen Racela logged 19 points, five assists, three steals and one rebound in leading the Beermen to the crucial win that gave them a 3-2 lead in the best-of-seven semifinals series.

"We lost in a semis battle with them last year. So we have a score to settle and that’s my motivation. We have to take this whatever it takes," said Racela.

"Lima na lang yata kaming natitirang players doon sa team na tinalo nila but it’s already enough motivation for us to get even," Racela added.

"We’re going all-out in Game Six. I’ve told the players to be happy with this win but not be so happy because we’ll come out and give it a good shot Sunday (tomorrow)," said Reyes.

Learning their lessons in a 107-109 defeat Wednesday, the Beermen saved their best for last, pouncing on the Bulls in the fourth quarter for the ghastly rout.

Chris Calaguio proved to be San Miguel’s special package in the payoff period with the former Letran Knight tossing in 12 of his 15 points in the quarter.

Atrocious shooting and errant plays by the Bulls made it easier for the Beermen to put the game away. Red Bull shot only 36 percent from the field and committed 18 errors.

Enrico Villanueva went 1-of-4 from the field for a measly two points — his lowest output in a year.

Roach starts own fight with Arum By Abac Cordero The Philippine Star 02/03/2007

Freddie Roach said Top Rank’s Bob Arum should convince Manny Pacquiao to come to Los Angeles as soon as possible and train for his scheduled April 28 fight against Korean Injin Chi in Macau.

Roach told fightnews.com that Arum should "spend less time trying to get me fired, and more time trying to help Manny, getting Manny to the Wild Card, and away from the distractions."

Arum called Roach an "idiot" for agreeing to train Oscar dela Hoya for his May 5 showdown with Floyd Mayweather Jr. when the fight is so close to Pacquiao’s own battle with Chi.

Roach said the chance to train Dela Hoya, whose Golden Boy Promotions is locked in a legal battle with Top Rank over the promotional rights on Pacquiao, comes once in a lifetime.

"Bob needs to be working with me, not against me. Manny is my boy, and I am going to take care of him," said Roach, who will start training Dela Hoya in March in Puerto Rico.

Dela Hoya, according to Roach, is leaving the doors to his Puerto Rico training camp open for Pacquiao just in case the 28-year-old slugger would want to train there under the American.

"This deal with Oscar is a big opportunity for me. Manny told me it was no problem, and congratulated me. We are working out his schedule right now, and I’m going to make sure I get both men ready for their fights," said Roach.

Meanwhile, philboxing.com yesterday reported that the World Boxing Council has stripped Mexico’s Omar Niño of the light-flyweight crown, and has given Fil-American Bryan Viloria a chance to regain the title.

Niño tested positive for methamphetamine after holding Viloria to a draw and keeping the title last Nov. 18 in Las Vegas. The Mexican contested the test which was later on verified by the UCLA lab.

As the No. 1 challenger, Viloria is now entitled to face Edgar Sosa of Mexico for the vacant title. And for his clean record in the past, the WBC said whoever wins between Viloria and Sosa should face Niño next.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2007  by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE