CONVERSATIONS BY RICKY LO: TELLING IT LIKE IT IS

Sweet, pa-sweet, sweet kuno, sweet-sweetan.Take your pick who is what. It’s a joke during very rare times when Susan Roces, Boots Anson-Roa, Charo Santos and Helen Gamboa find themselves in one occasion where much ribbing and joking spice up the eating, just like last Monday when the barkada gathered for a despedida (hosted by Dolor Guevarra) for balikbayan-writer Baby K. Jimenez (now happily retired in Toronto) at Victorino’s restaurant in Quezon City. The four actresses happen to have a wholesome image. What you see is what you get? Guess again. In a playful, free-wheeling Conversation, Susan, Boots, Charo and Helen revealed something about themselves that the public doesn’t know. Read on and see them in a (not-so-sweet?) light, hahahahaha!

ALSO: Cedric Lee lawyer: Who really has connections?

“Who’s the one using connections now?” The lawyer defending businessman Cedric Lee and also representing commercial model Deniece Cornejo lashed back on Saturday at the camp of actor-comedian Vhong Navarro, who sought and was immediately granted police protection after a meeting with Interior Secretary Mar Roxas and a police general.
“I thought we’re the one with connections here,” Howard Calleja told the Inquirer. “This is overkill. In my many years of law practice, I’ve never seen such a request granted so fast.” Calleja, who said he would be defending Lee and Cornejo against the string of complaints lodged by Navarro in the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), noted that Lee’s past dealings as a businessman had been dug up in the media—including his partnerships with some police generals—after the Jan. 22 incident at Cornejo’s condominium in Bonifacio Global City. “There’s nothing wrong with generals being part of a corporation,” he said, stressing that these “respectable individuals” were already “all retired.”

ALSO: DILG to increase police visibility around Vhong Navarro's house

Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas said the Philippine National Police (PNP) agreed to increase police visibility at the residence of actor Vhong Navarro on the request of his manager and lawyer. Roxas said the PNP agreed to beef-up police visibility around the actor's residence following a meeting among him, PNP
chief of directorial staff Director
Leonardo Espina, Navarro's lawyer Dennis Manalo and his
 
manager Chito Roño at Camp Crame on Friday. "During our meeting, they asked and we agreed to increase police visibility at his residence to address their concerns about his and his family’s safety," said Roxas. However, Roxas stressed that Navarro's personal security will be handled by company guards provided by ABS-CBN. "They asked for visibility in their home address so PNP will include it in their mobile patrol route. His personal security is being handled by company guards," Roxas said in a text message to the Star. Meanwhile, Roxas said the PNP and the DILG will also review a request from Navarro's camp to check for possible violations in relation to the gun licenses and permits to carry guns outside of the residence issued to businessman Cedric Lee and the other accused in the actor's mauling case. "We, the DILG and the PNP, will review their request to determine if there are any violations in relation to the licenses and/or permits to carry of the guns allegedly in the possession by the respondents in the incident currently under investigation," Roxas said.

ALSO: Private guards to provide security to Vhong, says Roxas

Private guards and not policemen will provide personal security to television host-actor Ferdinand “Vhong” Navarro, Interior and Local Government Secretary Manuel Roxas II said yesterday. Roxas made the clarification even as he confirmed granting the request of Navarro’s lawyer Dennis Manalo and manager Chito Roño to increase police presence in and around the actor’s residence in light of death threats to his family. He said the arrangement was agreed upon during a meeting Friday at Camp Crame with Manalo and Roño. PNP chief of directorial staff Director Leonardo Espina was also at the meeting.


READ FULL MEDIA REPORTS:

Telling it like it is


Sweet, pa-sweet, sweet kuno, sweet-sweetan.

Take your pick who is what.

MANILA, FEBRUARY 3, 2014 (PHILSTAR) CONVERSATIONS By Ricky Lo - It’s a joke during very rare times when Susan Roces, Boots Anson-Roa, Charo Santos and Helen Gamboa find themselves in one occasion where much ribbing and joking spice up the eating, just like last Monday when the barkada gathered for a despedida (hosted by Dolor Guevarra) for balikbayan-writer Baby K. Jimenez (now happily retired in Toronto) at Victorino’s restaurant in Quezon City.

The four actresses happen to have a wholesome image. What you see is what you get? Guess again.

In a playful, free-wheeling Conversation, Susan, Boots, Charo and Helen revealed something about themselves that the public doesn’t know. Read on and see them in a (not-so-sweet?) light, hahahahaha!

= My most unforgettable moment was…

Susan: When I was offered to be an actress by Sampaguita Pictures in 1956. I was fresh from high school (La Consolacion in Bacolod).

Boots: The death of Pete (Roa, her first husband). And soon, my wedding with (Francisco) King (Rodrigo, on June 14).

Helen: Wedding namin ni Tito (Sen. Sotto) in Jan. 1971. That was our public wedding. (Before that, Helen and Tito were secretly married. — RFL)

Charo: When I took the big leap…You know, when I decided to marry Cesar (Concio).

= The best lesson that I learned from life is…

Susan: To live for others.

Boots: Learn from the past, live the present to the fullest and plan for the future.

Helen: That you should be true to yourself.

Charo: Do not be afraid of anything.

= True friendship means…

Susan: Loyalty.

Boots: Unconditional giving; no ifs, no buts, no what-ifs.

Helen: Unconditional love, being there through thick and thin (when you have problems or when you are sick).

Charo: Being there for and with you at the lowest moment of your life.

= What the public doesn’t know about me is that…

Susan: I am a flirt, hahahahaha! (Dolor Guevarra, Susan’s manager, said with affection, “She’s maldita!”)

Boots: I’m a clutch, I’m a Peter Sellers, I’m burara, I’m clumsy, I snore and I’m funny.

Helen: What I have to say might shock you, huh! Yes, I have two personalities, hahahaha! You know why? I can be a Penthouse or a Hustler model at night, hahahaha! Kasi, si Tito is fond of buying me lingerie; ang tiyaga niya sa ganoon! Eh, ang mga binibili niya ‘yung pang-Penthouse talaga. Naku, Diyos ko, hindi ako puedeng kunan ng litrato na naka-lingerie.

= If I were not an actress, I would be…

Susan: A diplomat. I would be in foreign service. I love meeting people. It was the course that I wanted to take if I had a chance to go to college.

Boots: A teacher.

Helen: An interior designer or a painter. I paint up to now.

Charo: A doctor. If my parents had the money, I would have gone to a medical school and be a doctor.

= What I would omit if I were to write my autobiography is…

Susan: Why would I tell you? After all, I would omit it, hehehehehe!

Boots: Nothing! It would be a tell-all autobiography.

Helen: I won’t omit anything because if I were to live my life all over again, I would do it the same way. God is so good to me.

Charo: Hmmmmm…hahahaha!

= If I were somebody else, I would…

Susan: Still be myself; I like myself.

Boots: I can’t think of anybody else. I’d still want to be me. God has been good to me.

Helen: Benazir Bhutto.

Charo: A queen, hahahaha! I think I was born during the Victorian Era, in the time of kings and queens and palaces.

= The three words that best describe me are…

Susan: True, good and beautiful, hehehehe!

Boots: Patient, giving and, as I just said, funny.

Helen: Sincere, loving and honest.

Charo: Simple, passionate and very caring.

= Face to face with God, I would tell Him…

Susan: I miss You! Glad to be with You now!

Boots: Thank You for everything!

Helen: Thank You, Lord, for the life You have given me. And now, Lord, let me stay with You. When I go, I really want to see the face of the Lord.

Charo: Thank You very much for giving me a beautiful life.

FROM THE INQUIRER

Cedric Lee lawyer: Who really has connections? Philippine Daily Inquirer February 1, 2014 | 11:01 pm


CORNEJO, NAVARRO, LEE

MANILA, Philippines—“Who’s the one using connections now?”

The lawyer defending businessman Cedric Lee and also representing commercial model Deniece Cornejo lashed back on Saturday at the camp of actor-comedian Vhong Navarro, who sought and was immediately granted police protection after a meeting with Interior Secretary Mar Roxas and a police general.

“I thought we’re the one with connections here,” Howard Calleja told the Inquirer. “This is overkill. In my many years of law practice, I’ve never seen such a request granted so fast.”

Calleja, who said he would be defending Lee and Cornejo against the string of complaints lodged by Navarro in the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), noted that Lee’s past dealings as a businessman had been dug up in the media—including his partnerships with some police generals—after the Jan. 22 incident at Cornejo’s condominium in Bonifacio Global City.

“There’s nothing wrong with generals being part of a corporation,” he said, stressing that these “respectable individuals” were already “all retired.”

Among those mentioned in media reports were former Philippine National Police director for logistics, Luizo Ticman, who was one of the 21 persons charged along with former First Gentleman Mike Arroyo with graft in 2012 for the sale of overpriced second-hand helicopters to the PNP.

Another partner was Jose Antonio Salvacion, former administrator of the PNP’s Service Store System, and Abner Cabalquinto, former director of PNP-Region 8 and of PNP records and management. The three men were Lee’s partners in the firm Verticabres Agro-Industrial.

Death threats

Calleja said the media reports portrayed his client to be “well-connected,” but that this label could apparently apply to the Navarro camp.

The actor’s lawyer Dennis Manalo and talent manager Chito Roño met Friday morning with Roxas and Director General Leonardo Espina to request increased police presence at Navarro’s residence. They claimed that the still-hospitalized actor feared for his family’s safety after receiving death threats on his mobile phone.

Manalo later told reporters that Roxas and Espina, deputy chief for operations of the PNP, granted the request.

Navarro had accused Cornejo, Lee and six others of mauling and forcing him to admit raping the model as part of a scheme setting him up for blackmail. The alleged scheme was carried out when Navarro visited Cornejo at her Forbeswood condominium unit on the night of Jan. 22.

Navarro’s complaints—including one for grave coercion and the nonbailable offense of serious illegal detention—had been approved for filing by the NBI in the Department of Justice.

Cornejo, who maintained in media interviews that she neither had the time nor means to set up or be part of such a scheme, revived her “attempted rape” complaint initially filed at a police station and upgraded it to rape. It was filed last week with the help of Calleja’s law firm in the Taguig prosecutors office.

Calleja said that if there’s anyone who had come under threat because of the Jan. 22 incident, it was Cornejo.

He said the social media had been rife with menacing posts addressed to the model, threatening her with “acid attacks, boiling water” and sexual assault.

Also on Saturday, the security agency servicing Forbeswood condominium, which the police earlier threatened to sue for obstruction of justice for its refusal to cooperate, finally broke its silence.

In a press statement, United Megaforce Security Inc. maintained that it was up to the condominium administration, not the security agency, to release materials sought by investigators.

“The CCTV footage, logbooks and other documents being asked from our security agency by the NBI and the police are all properties of our client condominium. We are not allowed to release these documents and information without the consent of our client,” said the statement signed by the agency’s legal counsel Phydias Emmanuel Ramos.

But the agency maintained it would cooperate with authorities, but “without compromising the privacy and interest of our client condominium.”

Earlier, the Taguig City police have expressed an intention to charge Megaforce and the Forbeswood administration after they failed to turn over security camera footage and other potential pieces of evidence.

Megaforce disputed this, saying “we have already cooperated with the NBI (and) the statements of our guards were already taken by the NBI office last Jan. 27, and additional statements will be given on Feb. 3 as per NBI subpoena.”
“Our guards have reported to Taguig police on three instances for the purpose of submitting themselves to investigation, this was last Jan. 27, 29 and 30,” it added.

Megaforce also belied the supposed lapses committed by its personnel in handling the incident.

“We have in place standard security procedures in handling cases similar to the case of Vhong Navarro. However, a peculiar circumstance in the said incident is that one of the involved parties is the condominium occupant herself (Cornejo), who gave information and instructions to the guards, which the guards believed to be legitimate.” With a report from Jaymee T. Gamil

FROM PHILSTAR

DILG to increase police visibility around Vhong Navarro's house By Mike Frialde (philstar.com) | Updated February 1, 2014 - 5:05pm 52 619 googleplus1 0

MANILA, Philippines - Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas said the Philippine National Police (PNP) agreed to increase police visibility at the residence of actor Vhong Navarro on the request of his manager and lawyer.

Roxas said the PNP agreed to beef-up police visibility around the actor's residence following a meeting among him, PNP chief of directorial staff Director Leonardo Espina, Navarro's lawyer Dennis Manalo and his manager Chito Roño at Camp Crame on Friday.

"During our meeting, they asked and we agreed to increase police visibility at his residence to address their concerns about his and his family’s safety," said Roxas.

However, Roxas stressed that Navarro's personal security will be handled by company guards provided by ABS-CBN.

"They asked for visibility in their home address so PNP will include it in their mobile patrol route. His personal security is being handled by company guards," Roxas said in a text message to the Star.

Meanwhile, Roxas said the PNP and the DILG will also review a request from Navarro's camp to check for possible violations in relation to the gun licenses and permits to carry guns outside of the residence issued to businessman Cedric Lee and the other accused in the actor's mauling case.

"We, the DILG and the PNP, will review their request to determine if there are any violations in relation to the licenses and/or permits to carry of the guns allegedly in the possession by the respondents in the incident currently under investigation," Roxas said.

Roxas added that the DILG will also review if there were lapses or violations of procedure or protocols by the police officers of the Southern Police District who entertained the complaint of attempted rape earlier filed by model Deniece Cornejo against Navarro.

Roxas also said he has directed the PNP's Security Agencies and Guards Supervision Divisio to review if there were violations committed by the Megaforce security agency, which is in charge of the security at the Forbeswood Heights Condominium at the Bonifacio Global City in Taguig where Navarro said he was mauled by Lee and several other men on the night of Jan. 22.

Private guards to provide security to Vhong, says Roxas By Mike Frialde (The Philippine Star) | Updated February 2, 2014 - 12:00am 0 0 googleplus0 0


The pictures of businessman Cedric Lee and model Deniece Cornejo are posted at an immigration booth at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport after the Department of Justice issued a lookout bulletin in connection with the charges filed against them by actor Vhong Navarro. MIKE AMOROSO

MANILA, Philippines - Private guards and not policemen will provide personal security to television host-actor Ferdinand “Vhong” Navarro, Interior and Local Government Secretary Manuel Roxas II said yesterday.

Roxas made the clarification even as he confirmed granting the request of Navarro’s lawyer Dennis Manalo and manager Chito Roño to increase police presence in and around the actor’s residence in light of death threats to his family.

He said the arrangement was agreed upon during a meeting Friday at Camp Crame with Manalo and Roño. PNP chief of directorial staff Director Leonardo Espina was also at the meeting.

“During our meeting, they asked and we agreed to increase police visibility at his residence to address their concerns about his and his family’s safety,” Roxas said, adding that private guards provided by ABS-CBN would handle Navarro’s personal security.

“They asked for visibility in their home address so PNP will include it in their mobile patrol route. His personal security is being handled by company guards,” Roxas said in a text message to The STAR. The actor-television host remains confined in a hospital where he is being treated for injuries from severe beatings by businessman Cedric Lee and several others inside a unit in Forbeswood condominium in Taguig City last Jan. 22. Lee had claimed they beat up Navarro after they caught him trying to rape model Deniece Cornejo. Navarro denied the accusation, saying Lee’s group was trying to extort up to P2 million from him.

The DILG chief said they would also look into Lee’s possible violation of the conditions in his gun license.

“We, the DILG and the PNP, will review their (Navarro’s camp) request to determine if there are any violations in relation to the licenses and/or permits to carry of the guns allegedly in the possession by the respondents in the incident currently under investigation,” Roxas said.

Also being checked, Roxas said, are reports of lapses in procedures or protocol observed by the Southern Police District (SPD) in its handling of Navarro’s case. – With Aie Balagtas See


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2014 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE