RICKY LO REPORTS ON CHARICE, WHAT SOME SPECIAL PEOPLE SAY
[Charice: Now at peace with herself and the world]
MANILA, JUNE 10, 2013 (PHILSTAR) FUNFARE By Ricky Lo - Enough of Charice after her long-delayed albeit anti-climactic admission that she’s, well, you-know-what?
“So who cares if she’s gay?” somebody I know said in disgust. “Will it help ease the tension between the Philippines and Taiwan, reverse the threat of global warming, lower the prices of tuition and prime commodities and hasten up the resolution of election protests?”
I was speechless!
Charice was on the phone the other day and as her ninong, I was relieved to hear her voice so calm, so cool and so comfortable in what could only be described as her “new” life.
She cooed, “Kumusta ka, Ninong?” I said, “Okay lang!” Asked how I should address her now — kuya or pare? — Charice laughed and said, “Kuya na lang!”
Okay, fine, Kuya Charice. Ingat ka!
But before we sweep the Charice non-issue into the dustbin of showbiz herstory, let’s listen to what some special people say about the whole thing:
• John ‘Sweet’ Lapus: Finally! Welcome, Charice, to the LGBT community. I’m so proud of your coming out. Hope you’ll be an inspiration to others who are in the closet — dark and alone. Sana lalaking singer naman ang mag-out para masaya! Freedom!
• Jon Santos (who texted from California): I always admire anyone who strives to know him/herself, and commits to being true to himself or herself. I became an even bigger fan.
• Mr. Fu: Her “coming out” is admirable and her “coming in” as an excellent artist is a challenge. Bring it on, Charice! Makapag-out na nga rin ako. May ganoon?!
• Rene Salud: Dapat noon pa! Actually, I did several gowns for her when she did some international concerts and I could sense her being a lesbian! I thought that she would be accepted for what she is, like Aiza. She will be more comfortable with the permissive world!!! The more her talent will shine!!!
Kuh Ledesma to Charice: Listen to your mother
• Maritess Gutierrez: She’s FREE!
• BB Gandanghari: Sexual orientation is never a choice but coming out is always an option. I admire her because it takes a lot of courage when you finally come to terms with your own being…
But I reserve the last say to Kuh Ledesma, delivered with conviction during the presscon the other night for the new GMA soap My Husband’s Lover (in which she plays the mother of Tom Rodriguez).
Kuh’s whole comment, which I’m putting out verbatim, was graciously furnished to Funfare by Jojo Gabinete. Here it is:
Sabi nga sa Bibliya, kapag nag-iisip tayo na gumawa ng isang hakbang na seryoso, which I think telling your sexuality on national television is a very serious thing.
Hindi ko alam kung matatanggap ng buong Pilipinas ‘yung sinabi ni Charice o ni Monique (Wilson) pero para sa akin, kailangan makinig tayo sa advice ng tao na wiser than us and the Bible says when you do something serious like that, when you have a decision to make, kailangan makinig ka sa maraming wise na tao. Wise council, marami, hindi lang isa.
At saka sabi rin ng Bible makinig ka sa lahat ng bagay sa magulang mo kaya para sa akin para kay Charice, makinig siya sa magulang niya. Ang importante, you have to inspire the youth and the people the right way.
Pakinggan mo ang magulang mo. Para sa akin, siguro sinabi ng magulang niya, huwag mo nang sabihin ‘yon, di ba? Is she living a lie? Porke sinabi niya ‘yan, puwede tayong magbago, di ba? I will pray for Charice.
Kasi alam mo, ang haba na ng narating niya at saka sa Pilipinas binigyan siya ng pagkakataon to represent the country. Right now ‘yun ang desire niya, puwedeng magbago one day.
Sabi ko nga, ang tao nagbabago lalo na ang mga Pilipino, mapagpatawad pero pumunta ka sa tamang landas.
Sasabihin ko sa kanya it is to best na ‘yung mga ganoong bagay, hindi muna sabihin kasi ako, I’m a very private person. Kahit noong naghiwalay na kami ng asawa ko, gusto ko na sanang ilantad sa TV pero pinigil ko yung sarili ko kasi maraming masasaktan. Para sa akin, ‘yung ina niya, baka nasaktan.
Dapat hindi mo iisipin lang ang sarili mo. The key para sa akin, sundin mo ang Diyos. Follow your parents in everything at saka ito ‘yung command na may promise, ha? The first command with a promise, sabing ganoon, follow your parents in everything, so that He will bless you...
The last time I was asked kung lesbian ako, sinabi ko na bibigyan ko ng…sabi ko yata P2million…kung sinong makaka-prove na ako ay gay, kasi it doesn’t disturb me because I’m not.
Doon ko na-realize na ang tsismis pala, puwedeng hindi totoo. Talagang tsismis kasi I was very close, you know, I’m very close to Monique so noong magkaibigan kami, itsinitsismis kami. Noong nagtrabaho naman ako with Regine (Velasquez , itsinismis din kami. Sabagay, sabi ko, at least hindi mga pangit ang inili-link sa akin.
Well said; well taken, Kuh!
Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi
© Copyright, 2012 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved
PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE