HOLLYWOOD MOVIE "BOURNE LEGACY" FILMING IN MANILA 

MANILA, JANUARY 9, 2012 (YAHOO!NEWS) By Bayani San Diego Jr. in Manila/Philipp - Oscar-nominated screenwriter and director Tony Gilroy has chosen Manila as location for 'The Bourne Legacy' - the next installment in the popular action franchise that previously starred Matt Damon.

Film Development Council of the Philippines head Briccio Santos said the country bested other Asian countries as location for the film.

It's the biggest Hollywood production to shoot here since 'Apocalypse Now', said Santos. Gilroy will shoot 40 percent of the film in Manila. The latest 'Bourne' caper top-bills Rachel Weisz and Oscar nominee Jeremy Renner.

FROM WIKIPEDIA

The Bourne films are a series of action thriller spy films based on the character Jason Bourne, a former CIA assassin suffering from extreme memory loss, created by author Robert Ludlum.

All three of Ludlum's novels were adapted for the screen, featuring Matt Damon as the titular character in each. Doug Liman directed The Bourne Identity (2002), Paul Greengrass directed The Bourne Supremacy (2004) and The Bourne Ultimatum (2007), and Tony Gilroy co-wrote each film. The series is noted for its realism, in contrast to the growing use of CGI in the action genre.

The Bourne Identity (2002 FILM)

A man is found floating in the Mediterranean Sea with two gunshot wounds in his back and a device with the number of a Swiss safe deposit box embedded in his hip. Upon reaching shore, the man assumes the name Jason Bourne after finding a passport under the name in the safe deposit box, along with other international passports, large amounts of assorted currencies, and a gun. He subsequently attempts to discover his true identity while countering attempts on his life by CIA assassins, eventually realizing that he is one such assassin who failed to complete his most recent mission. Bourne breaks his connections to the CIA and unites with Marie Kreutz (Franka Potente), a woman who helped him learn about his most recent actions prior to his memory loss. Bourne's conflict with the CIA reaches a climax when he takes the fight to their doorstep.

The Bourne Supremacy (2004 FILM)

Some two years after learning that he is a trained assassin and breaking his connections with the CIA Jason Bourne is framed for a crime connected to one of his past missions. A subsequent attempt on his life results in Marie's death, so he decides to take revenge by hunting down those responsible for her death and his forgotten past, thinking that the CIA is hunting him again. Bourne discovers that Ward Abbott (Brian Cox), one of the men who oversaw Operation Treadstone, the program which trained Bourne to be an assassin, stole millions of dollars from the CIA. Abbott meant to implicate Bourne in the theft with the frameup, which would have led the CIA on a wild goose chase had Bourne been killed as intended. Bourne exposes Abbott to Pamela Landy (Joan Allen), the CIA agent in charge of finding Bourne, and Abbott commits suicide. After a long car chase, Bourne later spares a Russian agent who was paid to kill him and was responsible for Marie's death, and then goes into hiding.

The Bourne Ultimatum (2007 film)

Six weeks later, Bourne learns that a British journalist has been investigating his past and contacts him to find out who his source is. Bourne is subsequently targeted by Operation Blackbriar, an upgraded Operation Treadstone, which has also taken note of the investigation. Believing that Bourne is a threat and is seeking revenge, Blackbriar's director Noah Vosen (David Strathairn) begins a new hunt for Bourne. Bourne manages to take classified documents proving that Blackbriar has targeted U.S. citizens and is aided by Landy, who disagreed with Vosen from the beginning and does not support Blackbriar's existence. Bourne finally comes face to face with the person who oversaw his behavioral modification as the first Treadstone operative some years earlier, memories of which resurface. Those responsible for Treadstone and Blackbriar are exposed, and Bourne goes underground.

The Bourne Legacy (film)

Universal Pictures originally intended The Bourne Ultimatum to be the final film in the series, but development of another film was under way by October 2008. George Nolfi, who co-wrote The Bourne Ultimatum, was to write the script of a fourth film, not to be based on any of the novels by Robert Ludlum. Joshua Zetumer had been hired to write a parallel script—a draft which could be combined with another (Nolfi's, in this instance)—by August 2009 since Nolfi would be directing The Adjustment Bureau that September. Matt Damon stated in November 2009 that no script had been approved and that he hoped that a film would begin shooting in mid-2011. The next month, he said that he would not do another Bourne film without Paul Greengrass, who announced in late November that he had decided not to return as director. In January 2010, Damon said that there would "probably be a prequel of some kind with another actor and another director before we do another one just because I think we're probably another five years away from doing it."

However, it was reported in June 2010 that Tony Gilroy would be writing a script with his brother and screenwriter Dan Gilroy for a fourth film to be released sometime in 2012.

On October 29, Universal set the release date for The Bourne Legacy at August 3, 2012.

On February 24, 2011, a list of actors met with Gilroy for a role in the film, possibly filling a role that would either replace Damon, or co-star with Damon. The list included Jake Gyllenhaal, Tobey Maguire, Josh Hartnett, Govinda, Garrett Hedlund, Michael Fassbender, Alex Pettyfer, Paul Dano, Taylor Kitsch, Kellan Lutz, Benjamin Walker, Oscar Isaac, Luke Evans, Michael Pitt, Chris Evans, Dominic Cooper and Joel Edgerton.

On March 24, the studio had screen tested actors Edgerton, Cooper, Hedlund, Luke Evans and newcomer Erryn Arkin for the role.

On April 2, 2011, Latino Review reported that Jeremy Renner is expected to headline the new film. Renner will allegedly be playing a new character. Rachel Weisz is in talks, and may be the love interest. Actor Edward Norton is said to be in talks to play the film's villain.

On May 28, 2011, screenwriter and director Tony Gilroy had chosen Manila as location for The Bourne Legacy. Gilroy said that 40% of the film will be shot in Manila.

In August 2011 it was announced that actor Scott Glenn would reprise his role in the film. Filming also took place on Long Island, New York. Edward Norton was among some of the cast which confirms the rumor of his appearance in the movie.

FROM MANILA BULLETIN

Manila streets closed for Bourne By ANNA LIZA VILLAS and LEONARDO PSTRADO MANILA BULLETIN

Rotonda from EDSA Rotonda (EDSA corner Taft Avenue, near LRT and MRT

MANILA, Philippines — Hollywood stars will arrive in the country this month to film in several locations in the metropolis for the movie “Bourne Legacy,” an official of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) said.

MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino said the production outfit of Hollywood film has chosen Binondo, San Andres and Intramuros in Manila, Navotas fish port, EDSA-Pasay-Taft, Marikina Market, R. Magsaysay Blvd, Ayala Avenue, Nagtahan, to shoot their movie scenes.

Tolentino said a long car chase scene is being planned along Taft Avenue in Pasay City.

“The movie will be shown worldwide. Its best that we clean the area first before filming,” said Tolentino.

Since areas will be transformed into a movie sets, Tolentino said he will advise motorists for any road closures, intermittent traffic delays and use of alternate routes for motorists and pedestrians.

The Bourne Legacy is a spy fiction thriller that stars Jeremy Renner, Rachel Weisz, and Edward Norton.

Meanwhile, the Manila City Government has set guidelines for an international movie company to observe while shooting several scenes the "The Bourne Legacy."

In a letter to the Philippine producer of the “Bourne Legacy,” Nikolo Juban, last Tuesday, Secretary to the Mayor Rafaelito Garayblas said the city has granted their request to temporarily close to vehicular traffic several areas in Manila.

These areas include portions of San Andres St. from January 11 to 15; J. Bocobo corner Remedios streets, January 18 and 19; Leveriza Street, from Balingkit to San Andres, January 15; San Andres corner Quirino and Taft Avenue, January 14); Riverside Road, Real and Sta. Lucia Streets in Intramuros, January 25 and February 17 and 18; Jones Bridge, February 5; and Ramon Magsaysay Boulevard, February 8 to 15.

“Pursuant to your request and upon the favorable recommendation of the Chief, MDTEU PNP, Port Area, Manila, a permit is hereby granted to you to temporarily close to vehicular traffic certain portions [in Manila] . . . for the purpose of holding thereat your shooting activity, subject to following conditions,” said Garayblas in a letter to the producer.

Philippine Film Studios, Inc. reportedly paid just P500 for the permit to shoot in the city.

At least 15 conditions were laid out by the city government in approving the filming of the movie in the city.

Garayblas said that the movie production company should coordinate their activity with the Barangay Chairman and Station Commander of the area concerned before they started shooting the film in the area.

Although the streets will be temporarily closed to vehicular traffic, Garayblas said that street intersections should be made available for the free passage of emergency vehicles, particularly the fire fighting unit.

“The substantial movable barricades with informative sign shall be installed by the requestee at strategic places of the affected area. The city government of Manila reserves the right to order the removal of the barricades if public interest so requires,” he said.

Garayblas stressed the need of the international film production to observe the Anti-Noise and Anti-Littering Ordinances of the City of Manila.

He also said that the company should shoulder the repair of the infrastructures that will be damaged as result of the activity.

"The Bourne Legacy," written and directed by Tony Gilroy, centers on CIA operative Aaron Cross played by Renner. The movie is slated to be released in the United States in the summer of 2012

According to sources, Renner was already in the country since last Saturday and was already billeted at a five-star hotel in Makati City.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2012 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE