PRICE TOO HIGH: WHY ABS-CBN DIDN'T MAKE COUNTEROFFER TO SHARON

[PHOTO - A ‘mega’ contract-signing (from left): Sandra Chavez of Viva Entertainment, TV5 president and CEO Ray Espinosa, Sharon Cuneta, TV5 EVP and COO Roberto Barreiro and Viva Entertainment president Vic del Rosario]

MANILA, NOVEMBER 25, 2011 (STAR) FUNFARE By Ricardo F. Lo - For many weeks, everybody was merely speculating that Sharon Cuneta was leaving ABS-CBN (Kapamilya) until Funfare came out with the “breaking news” last Monday, Nov. 21, that Sharon was indeed signing a contract with TV5 (Kapatid) to the tune of… are you still holding your breath?...P1B! The contract takes effect in January next year.

Of course, Sharon didn’t confirm the amount when asked about it after she sat down with Kapatid bigwigs last Tuesday, Nov. 22, but only hinted at it. Sharon’s exclusive Kapatid contract is good for five years, so P1B divided five equals P200M per year which is still a staggering amount in any currency. That makes Sharon the “the most expensive” Filipino superstar.

People have been wondering what’s the net amount that will go to Sharon’s coffers, so I asked my financial-savvy friend to estimate a breakdown. Here it is: More or less 20 percent (P200M) of the P1B will go to the bright mind who closed the deal as commission, more or less 10 percent (P100M) will go to taxes and, in five years, Sharon will pocket P700M. Imagine how much interest it would earn if she put it on time deposit!

The Kapatid package covers, among other shows, a reality-TV show, a soap and maybe two movies, one of which will reunite Sharon with ex-husband Gabby Concepcion, to be co-produced by the movie arm of the Kapatid Network and Viva Films. Although managed by Sandra Chavez, Sharon is part of Vic del Rosario Jr.’s Viva Entertainment.

Asked which of the projects she would start, Sharon texted Funfare: “No definite plans yet because they are all being put together pa. The show will be launched in January. The movie with Gabby will start shooting in March, but Boss Vic has yet to talk to Gabby. He is about to commission several possible stories pa, so wala pang script. Remember, I just signed the contract yesterday, hahahaha!”

So what would she do with the P1B?

Sharon was mum, neither denying nor confirming the amount.

What’s confirmed is that, yes parting is indeed such sweet sorrow, after all Sharon was a Kapamilya for more than 23 years! Left behind is Sharon’s daughter KC Concepcion who is burdened with the task of sustaining her mom’s Kapamilya legacy. A tall order, isn’t it?

“The parting was painful and emotional for both Sharon and the ABS-CBN bigwigs,” said Funfare’s Bohol Avenue VDPA (Very Deep Penetration Agent).

So why didn’t ABS-CBN give Sharon a counteroffer?

[PHOTO - A ‘mini’ contract-signing (from left): Carlo Orosa, Star Cinema exec Malou Santos, Enrique Gil, ABS-CBN exec Cory Vidanes and (inset) Sam Concepcion. The young actors are managed by Orosa.

“Hindi kaya ng network,” admitted the VDPA without confirming the amount that Kapamilya had to match. “Masyadong mahal. Even only half of the (rumored) amount is very expensive. Had the network made a counteroffer of even only half of the P1B, or even just one-third of it, baka naman ma-insulto si Sharon, kaya wala na lang. The network avoided hurting anybody.”

Sharon’s contract with ABS-CBN has long expired. In the past, the renewal was automatic, everything having been based more on “personal relationship” and “close friendship” than on “business.”

“The Kapamilya bigwigs had been hearing the rumors that Sharon was being lured by the Kapatid Network but when they learned about the amount involved, they deemed it wise not to ask Sharon to renew her contract,” added the VDPA, insisting that “the close friendship will always remain.”

Said Sharon in a TV interview after signing up with TV5, “Leaving ABS-CBN was not easy. I grew up with the network, so it’s true. The parting was really painful. It was a very emotional parting.”

Here’s the official Kapamilya statement sent to Funfare by Bong R. Osorio, ABS-CBN head of Corporate Communications:

Sharon Cuneta has her reasons for moving to another channel and we would like to respect that. Sharon has been a revered Kapamilya for many years, and we genuinely wish her well in her new journey. We will truly miss her.

While Sharon was making her Mega-move to the Kapatid network, in contrast the Kapamilya network was signing up two young actors, Sam Concepcion and Enrique Gil who are both managed by STAGES and Star Magic.

Briefly noted

• Also parting ways are Vice Ganda (photo) and Ogie Diaz, his manager way back when Vice was a struggling stand-up comedian. Could it be true that Vice is nanghihinayang with the commission that he’s giving Ogie? I hope not. Here’s the official ABS-CBN statement, sent to Funfare also by Bong R. Osorio: Vice Ganda and Ogie Diaz have mutually agreed that effective November 2011, Vice Ganda will be under the management of ABS-CBN. Vice will be handled by Business Unit Head Deo Endrinal for the Kapamilya Network. Both Vice Ganda and Ogie Diaz remain exclusive artists of ABS-CBN.

• Wil Time Bigtime, the show of Willie Revillame (photo) on TV5, will limit itself to not more than three hours, which means that it will have to end at 9 p.m. sharp to give way to the soaps. Just the same, Willie is giving away loads of prizes. No truth to the rumor that Willie is “quitting” just because the show was shortened by several minutes. He will stay on, never mind if his throat has been hurting. Starting last night, Camille Villar has been taking in as temporary co-host while Mariel Rodriguez is vacationing abroad with husband Robin Padilla who is celebrating his birthday.

 

• Andi Eigenmann (photo) gave birth by Caesarian section to a girl at 5:02 yesterday afternoon. Named Adrianna Gabrielli, the girl weighed 7.8 lbs. “Adrianna is super-ganda!” said Lola Jaclyn Jose, as quoted by her manager Ed Instrella. I wonder how the suspected Baby Daddy Albie Casiño will react. Or will he ever see their baby?

 

 


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2011 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE