WHAT MANNY CAN'T BUY
MANILA, JULY 11, 2011 (STAR) CONVERSATIONS With Ricky Lo (Photo - In this ‘who, what, where, when, how’ game, Champ Manny Pacquiao reveals his hitherto hidden side and admits that, unlike luxury items, nobody, not even himself, can buy happiness. PHOTOS by VER PAULINO]
Champion boxer. Saranggani congressman. Philanthropist. Family man. And, yes of course, singer.
Don’t look now but Manny Pacquiao’s “signature” song, Sometimes When We Touch (an original by Dan Hill with whom Manny did a duet on the CD), is ranked No. 19 among Billboard’s Top 20 (Adult Contemporary category).
Ogie Alcasid, president of OPM (Organisasyon ng Pilipinong Mang-aawit), is incredulously happy for Manny. “He’s the first Filipino singer who made it to the Top 20. Congrats, Manny!”
Half-Filipino/half-Puerto Rican Bruno Mars said in an exclusive STAR interview that he would love to produce an album for Manny — “and sing a duet with him.” Same with Adam Levine, Maroon 5 vocalist, who admitted in a Manila presscon that he wanted to write a song for Manny.
That has to come later, if ever.
Meanwhile, while preparing for his third bout with Juan Manuel Marquez in November, Manny will be busy giving away money, and other prizes besides, on his new game show Manny Many Prizes (MMP), which premieres on July 16 (this Saturday) after 24 Oras on GMA’s Sabado Star Power. Joining him are Rhian Ramos and Isabelle Daza, together with Paolo Contis, Gladys Guevarra and Onyok Velasco (himself a boxer, an Olympic medalist).
“I want to make as many people happy as I can,” said Manny in Conversations’ ‘who, what, where, when, how’ fun game. That is, aside from his family (wife Jinkee and their four children, and Manny’s mother Aling Dionisia a.k.a. Mommy D).
[With Manny Many Prizes co-hosts Rhian Ramos (left) and Isabelle Daza]
• Who is your role model?
“Mommy ko. She taught us everything, lahat-lahat na.”
• Who is your favorite singer?
“A lot. Si Martin Nievera ang No. 1.”
• Who is your great inspiration?
“Siempre, my family; siempre, ang God.”
• Who among the famous people that you’ve met is the most memorable to you?
“Si US Pres. Barack Obama. Simple lang siya, simpleng tao.”
• Who would you be today if you were not an eight-division champion?
“Baka ano ako…nagtitinda pa rin siguro sa bangketa.”
• What is your most treasured possession?
“’Yung relation ko sa Panginoon.”
• What is your biggest fear?
“Siempre, ‘yung nakalimot ako sa Panginoon, ‘yung malayo ako sa kanya, ‘yung maligaw ako ng landas.”
• What does money mean to you now that you have lots of it?
[Pacquiao is nominated in the 2011 Teen Choice Awards in the US.]
“What’s important is to use it the right way, kailangan gamitin sa tamang paraan. God knows where my money goes and who I am helping with it. But money is not everything. It can’t buy happiness.”
• What else could you ask for (now that you have fame and fortune)?
“That God will guide me, ituro Niya sa akin ang tamang landas, so I can help other people, at makatulong pa sa marami nating kababayan.”
• What is the good thing about being Manny Pacquiao?
“The good thing is that Manny Pacquiao is helping a lot of people.”
• What is the “bad” thing about being Manny Pacquiao?
“Madaling mapaniwala si Manny Pacquiao. Open siya sa lahat, lalo na sa kanyang pera.”
• Where are you most comfortable?
“Whether I’m in GenSan, in Saranggani, in Laguna, in Manila or abroad, I’m comfortable if I am with my family.”
• Where do you want to retire, if ever?
“In the Philippines, of course, so I can serve more people.”
• Where do you go when you want to have private time with Jinkee?
“It has to be always with our children, the whole family.”
• Where do you go when you want to be alone?
“Sa Saranggani pa rin, still with the whole family.”
• When are you happiest?
“I’m always happy. Maraming moments na masaya ako.”
• When did you make your first million?
“In 1999, after my fight with Medgeon Singsurat (from Thailand).”
• When do you tell a lie?
“I never tell a lie.”
• When are you in a bad mood?
• When did you use your killer left hook out of the ring?
“Never pa. Sana hindi. Hehehehe!”
• How do you enjoy your money?
“Gamitin sa tama. I spend for my family. When I see them happy, happy na rin ako. Basta masaya ang pamilya ko at walang problema, masaya ako. I don’t care about myself; I just want my family to be happy.”
• How do you pray?
“Kailangan mataimtim (fervent). If not, the Lord will not give you what you’re asking for.”
• How do you tell if a person is a true friend or he’s just after your money or using you?
“I know all kinds of people. Yes, I can tell. Alam ko kung anu-ano ang kulay nila. Sa oras ng kagipitan nasusubok ang tunay na magkaibigan.”
• How do you maintain your body (what kind of diet do you follow and what workout do you do)?
“It’s in our genes. Walang mataba sa pamilya namin. I eat what I want.”
• How do you see yourself 10 years from now?
“Naka-focus na siguro ako sa public service.”
• How much are you worth now?
“Ha? Piso lang. Hehehehe!”
Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi
© Copyright, 2011 by PHILIPPINE
HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved
PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE