FEIGNING CONCERN: GROUP DISLIKES AQUINO'S VISAYAS VISIT ON EDSA DAY

People Surge, an alliance for Yolanda victims, expressed its disapproval with the decision of President Benigno Aquino III to celebrate the 28th EDSA People Power anniversary in disaster-hit areas in Visayas. Efleda Bautista, the Executive Vice Chairperson of People Surge, told Manila Bulletin Online that the decision of Aquino is “highly deplorable” because he is missing the whole point of the EDSA Revolution commemoration. “We think the President is ignoring the EDSA Revolution rites in Manila because he is afraid of the protests from the Yolanda survivors and others discontented with the government over the pork barrel scandal and other burning issues,” Bautista said. “The President is just feigning concern for the victims and spending a few hours with them for photo ops and media interviews which is nothing more than paying lip service to their urgent appeals for government assistance,” Bautista added.

ALSO: Aquino disappointed in slow recovery in typhoon-hit area

President Benigno Aquino III felt astonished after learning that power has yet to be restored in 24 of the 42 villages hit by typhoon Pablo almost two years ago in his visit to Davao Oriental today. Aquino said he was surprised to know the news when Davao Oriental Governor Corazon Malanyaon reported development since typhoon Pablo (international name Bopha) battered the region in December 2012. He told the Departments of Energy (DOE), Budget and Management (DBM) and the National Electrification Authority (NEA) to avoid testing his patience and immediately act on the problems in the towns of Baganga, Cateel and Boston during a visit in Cateel in Davao Oriental. Malanyaon said power was only restored in the town centers and villages along the highway. She said the province needs adequate power supply to ensure the continued rehabilitation of the affected towns and in the development of industries in the affected areas. Aquino, who took power in mid 2010, reiterated his administration's commitment to continue the rebuilding efforts in the typhoon-affected towns even if the national government had already distributed 508,234 food packs to the survivors and spent P10.5 billion ($235.4 million) for the relief and rehabilitation of the affected areas.

ALSO: Aquino to ‘Pablo’ survivors: Use spirit of Edsa to rise from calamity

A day before the 28th Edsa People Power Anniversary, President Benigno Aquino arrived to this typhoon-devastated town, calling on a crowd of a thousand to use the spirit of Edsa to recover from the calamity.The President’s visit here Monday noon came a year and two months after Tropical Storm “Pablo” (international name Bopha) hit this town and several others in Davao Oriental and Compostela Valley, killing more than a thousand people. The President said this town was far different from what it was days after Pablo struck. “Nagbabalik na ang normalidad (Normalcy is coming back),” he said.
It was, however, the first time the President came here since the typhoon struck. On Dec. 6, 2012, or two days after typhoon “Pablo” made a landfall in Baganga town, the President went to neighboring Boston town. On Monday, Aquino boasted about government’s efforts to help Cateel and its people recover from the calamity.

ALSO: Bishops lament loss of ‘Spirit of EDSA’

Lingayen Bishop Socrates Villegas (photo): Uninvited at Edsa rites. THE Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines said Wednesday the spirit of the 1986 People Power Revolution had been manipulated, abused, raped and prostituted, and that nothing had changed after 28 years. CBCP president and Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Socrates Villegas said he chose to celebrate the first anniversary of the revolution at the Edsa shrine in Mandaluyong because it was a holy place where heroes bended their knees and people stopped the tanks. He was disappointed that only a few people attended Tuesday’s celebration in Mandaluyong. “If they want to celebrate Edsa in Cebu, if they want to celebrate Edsa in Baguio, if they want to celebrate Edsa in Mindanao, let it be,” Villegas said. “But for you, the Edsa Shrine community, stand on this ground because here on this ground you and I and God had a brief loving encounter for four days and history could not be changed anymore.” Tuesday, but in Tacloban City protesters festooned the streets with violet ribbons and carried placards to demonstrate their displeasure at the slow government response to the needs of the victims of super typhoon “Yolanda.” Villegas said he was not invited to say the Feb. 28 Mass to celebrate the first anniversary of the revolution because another priest had been assigned to do it.


READ FULL MEDIA NEWS REPORT

Group dislikes Aquino’s Visayas visit on EDSA day


Yolanda Village, Manila Bulletin

MANILA, FEBRUARY 24, 2014
(MANILA BULLETIN) by Mary Rose A. Hogaza - People Surge, an alliance for Yolanda victims, expressed its disapproval with the decision of President Benigno Aquino III to celebrate the 28th EDSA People Power anniversary in disaster-hit areas in Visayas.

Efleda Bautista, the Executive Vice Chairperson of People Surge, told Manila Bulletin Online that the decision of Aquino is “highly deplorable” because he is missing the whole point of the EDSA Revolution commemoration.

“We think the President is ignoring the EDSA Revolution rites in Manila because he is afraid of the protests from the Yolanda survivors and others discontented with the government over the pork barrel scandal and other burning issues,” Bautista said.

“The President is just feigning concern for the victims and spending a few hours with them for photo ops and media interviews which is nothing more than paying lip service to their urgent appeals for government assistance,” Bautista added.

Bautista said they have already appealed to Aquino for emergency cash assistance, livelihood, housing and social services.

Aquino declared that he will celebrate the 28th EDSA People Power anniversary in areas hit by Yolanda including Cebu, Leyte and Samar.

FROM PHILSTAR

Aquino disappointed in slow recovery in typhoon-hit area (philstar.com) | Updated February 24, 2014 - 9:00pm 0 1 googleplus0 0

MANILA, Philippines (Xinhua) - President Benigno Aquino III (photo) felt astonished after learning that power has yet to be restored in 24 of the 42 villages hit by typhoon Pablo almost two years ago in his visit to Davao Oriental today.

Aquino said he was surprised to know the news when Davao Oriental Governor Corazon Malanyaon reported development since typhoon Pablo (international name Bopha) battered the region in December 2012.

He told the Departments of Energy (DOE), Budget and Management (DBM) and the National Electrification Authority (NEA) to avoid testing his patience and immediately act on the problems in the towns of Baganga, Cateel and Boston during a visit in Cateel in Davao Oriental.

Malanyaon said power was only restored in the town centers and villages along the highway.

She said the province needs adequate power supply to ensure the continued rehabilitation of the affected towns and in the development of industries in the affected areas.

Aquino, who took power in mid 2010, reiterated his administration's commitment to continue the rebuilding efforts in the typhoon-affected towns even if the national government had already distributed 508,234 food packs to the survivors and spent P10.5 billion ($235.4 million) for the relief and rehabilitation of the affected areas.

He said in Cateel in particular a total of 110 permanent housing units had already been built but the government is committed to relocate and provide permanent housing for 1,179 families by August.

Typhoon Pablo killed at least 1,020 people, mostly on the southern island of Mindanao, when it hit southern Philippines in early December 2012, according to Philippine government disaster relief agency.

FROM THE INQUIRER

Aquino to ‘Pablo’ survivors: Use spirit of Edsa to rise from calamity By Nico Alconaba Inquirer Mindanao 4:49 pm | Monday, February 24th, 2014

Some residents complain of never having received gov’t aid one year after cyclone


http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/files/2014/02/benigno-aquino-iii.jpg
President Benigno S. Aquino III. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

CATEEL, Philippines — A day before the 28th Edsa People Power Anniversary, President Benigno Aquino arrived to this typhoon-devastated town, calling on a crowd of a thousand to use the spirit of Edsa to recover from the calamity.

The President’s visit here Monday noon came a year and two months after Tropical Storm “Pablo” (international name Bopha) hit this town and several others in Davao Oriental and Compostela Valley, killing more than a thousand people.
The President said this town was far different from what it was days after Pablo struck.

“Nagbabalik na ang normalidad (Normalcy is coming back),” he said.

It was, however, the first time the President came here since the typhoon struck. On Dec. 6, 2012, or two days after typhoon “Pablo” made a landfall in Baganga town, the President went to neighboring Boston town.

On Monday, Aquino boasted about government’s efforts to help Cateel and its people recover from the calamity.

Aquino said housing units have been provided to families whose homes were either damaged or destroyed by Pablo.

The Department of Social Welfare and Development said it has built 1,038 shelters in the province, 520 of which were built in this town.

Many in the crowd, however, complained of not receiving help from government. One of them was Nectarina Tinoy, a resident of riverside village San Alfonso here, who claimed that she did not receive housing materials from government.

Tinoy and her four children have been living in a tent-patched house after this was destroyed by typhoon Pablo. Her hut was again destroyed by a flood induced by a low pressure area in January.

“I did not receive anything, not even GI sheets,” she told the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

Nelia Betana, another resident here, also said she has not received building materials from the government.

“My house was destroyed by Pablo, yet until now I still have not received housing assistance from government,” Betana told the Inquirer.

The President, in his speech, said the government would complete the construction of 1,179 shelter units by August, in time for the death anniversary of his father, former Senator Benigno Aquino.

The President also cited the Department of Agriculture’s move to help farmers plant chili, processing it to dried “Hot Pablo Chili.”

Some farmers, however, said the price of chili has gone down from P50 to P35 as there have been fewer buyers.
From Cateel, the President will fly to Loon in Bohol, then to Cebu and to Eastern Samar.

FROM MANILA STANDARD

Bishops lament loss of ‘Spirit of EDSA’ By Vito Barcelo | Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:01am


Lingayen Bishop Socrates Villegas: Uninvited at Edsa rites

THE Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines said Wednesday the spirit of the 1986 People Power Revolution had been manipulated, abused, raped and prostituted, and that nothing had changed after 28 years.

CBCP president and Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Socrates Villegas said he chose to celebrate the first anniversary of the revolution at the Edsa shrine in Mandaluyong because it was a holy place where heroes bended their knees and people stopped the tanks.

He was disappointed that only a few people attended Tuesday’s celebration in Mandaluyong.

“If they want to celebrate Edsa in Cebu, if they want to celebrate Edsa in Baguio, if they want to celebrate Edsa in Mindanao, let it be,” Villegas said.

“But for you, the Edsa Shrine community, stand on this ground because here on this ground you and I and God had a brief loving encounter for four days and history could not be changed anymore.”

Tuesday, but in Tacloban City protesters festooned the streets with violet ribbons and carried placards to demonstrate their displeasure at the slow government response to the needs of the victims of super typhoon “Yolanda.”

Villegas said he was not invited to say the Feb. 28 Mass to celebrate the first anniversary of the revolution because another priest had been assigned to do it.

“I texted Father Nilo Mangusad, the rector of the Edsa Shrine, and asked him if I could say mass at 5:30 pm. He said it would be Father Benjo, so I texted Father Benjo and I said, ‘May I say mass on February 25 at 5:30?’ and both of them said yes.”

He grew nostalgic on Wednesday.

“Edsa People Power is 28 years old and so is my priesthood,” Villegas said.

“I am 28 years a priest. I’m as old as Edsa People Power. When the Church sent me to Bataan each time I looked back at Edsa, I looked back at Edsa with gratitude, with happiness, with joy and with pride.

“But through the years after Edsa 1986 the spirit has been manipulated, abused, raped, prostituted. But we must always return to it. Edsa was a gift from God and it will always be so.

“I ask myself, is this all that is left? After 28 years is this all that we can gather to thank the Lord for an event that made Filipinos 10 feet tall in the family of nations? I cannot resist returning to the Gospel, and returning to the question of the Lord after he cured 10 lepers and only one returned, and said, “Where are the other nine?

“But I am not here to accuse you. I am not here to make you sad. I am not here to contaminate you with my sadness and loneliness. I am here to bring you joy, the joy of the Gospel, the joy of the Lord.”


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2013 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE