SOUTH KOREA DONATES $300,000 FOR BOHOL, CEBU FOLLOWING QUAKE
MORE NEWS FROM THE PRESIDENTIAL COMMUNICATIONS OPERATION OFFICE
(SEOUL, South Korea) Philippine President Benigno S. Aquino III is welcomed by Republic of Korea President Park Geun-hye during the Summit Talks at the Jiphyeon Room of the Blue House for his State Visit to the Republic of Korea on Thursday (October 17). President Aquino is the first leader to undertake a state visit to Korea since President Park took office in February this year. (PLDT powered by SMART) (Photo by Benhur Arcayan / Malacañang Photo Bureau)
SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA, OCTOBER 21, 2013 (INQUIRER) The Republic of Korea is donating $300,000 for the two provinces severely affected by the magnitude 7.2 earthquake that struck earlier this week.
President Benigno S. Aquino III and South Korean President Park Geun-hye held Summit Talks at the Blue House on the first day of President Aquino’s State Visit here Thursday.
“Damang-dama natin ‘yung kagustuhan nilang pagtulong sa ating bansa,” President Aquino said in a recent coffee meeting with the members of the Philippine media.
The President said that President Park informed him that the government of South Korea is donating $300,000 for the victims of the recent earthquake in the towns of Bohol and Cebu.
During their Summit talks, President Aquino said that President Park also informed him that the Korean government has also extended its assistance for the rehabilitation of Zamboanga City. PND (co)
President Aquino confers 'Order of Lakandula' on first Filipino South Korean National Assembly member Jasmine Lee
SEOUL, South Korea) President Benigno S. Aquino III confers the Order of Lakandula on naturalized Korean lawmaker Rep. Jasmine Lee during the meeting with the Filipino community at the Crystal Ballroom of Lotte Hotel here during his State Visit to the Republic of Korea on Friday (October 18, 2013). Lee, who hails from Cavite and Davao City is the first naturalized Korean to be elected to Korea's National Assembly. (PLDT powered by SMART) (Photo by Benhur Arcayan / Malacanang Photo Bureau)
(SEOUL, South Korea) President Benigno S. Aquino III on Friday conferred the Order of Lakandula with the rank of Officer on Jasmine Bacurnay-Lee, South Korea’s first ever National Assembly member of multicultural background.
Lee, accompanied by her two children, received the Order of Lakandula award during President Aquino’s meeting with the Filipino community in Seoul held at the Lotte Hotel before departing for Manila after his successful two-day State Visit here.
The award is in recognition of Lee’s "contributions to fostering warm and cordial bilateral relations between the Philippines and the Republic of Korea, and promoting the rights of migrant women through her civil society work and public service.”
It is also "for her leadership of the Filipino community in Korea by promoting multiculturalism and migrant women’s rights; and "for bringing pride to the Philippines through her election to the 19th National Assembly, and becoming the first naturalized Korean to be a member of the Korean parliament.”
The award is also for Lee's "role as a member of the Committee on Foreign Relations, Trade and Unification and the Committee on Gender Equality and Family of the National Assembly; and “for her participation as a Korean legislator and promoting the rights and welfare of migrant communities in Korea.”
She is also being recognized “for her efforts in securing the approval of relief and rehabilitation assistance from the Republic of Korea for the victims of Typhoon Pablo in the Philippines; and for fostering goodwill and friendship between the Philippines and the Republic of Korea.” PND (co)
Aquino reports successful state visit to South Korea
President Benigno S. Aquino III delivers his arrival statement during the arrival ceremony at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal II on Friday night (October 18) from his successful two-day State Visit to the Republic of Korea. (Photo by Robert Viñas / Malacañang Photo Bureau)
President Benigno S. Aquino III reported a fruitful visit to South Korea saying the Philippines could learn from that country to be progressive.
In his arrival message at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 2 in Pasay City on Friday evening, the President said he went home from South Korea with strong determination to continue pursuing national transformation that his administration has been spearheading.
“Nakita po natin ang isang bansang dumaan din sa napakatinding pinsala, at ngayo’y talagang tumatamasa na ng kahanga-hangang kaunlaran. Ang matibay ko pong paniniwala: Kung kaya nilang maabot iyon, tiyak ko po, kaya rin itong maabot ng Pilipino,” the President said in his message.
The President likewise asked the support of every Filipino to join the collective effort to transform the country into a more progressive nation.
“Nakakataba po talaga ng puso ang pagkakataong maging kinatawan ng aking mga Boss sa ating mga karatig-bansa—dahil talaga nga pong ibang-iba na ang mukhang maihaharap natin sa mundo ngayon. Hindi po ako magsasawang sabihin: Talagang napakasarap maging Pilipino sa mga panahong ito,” he said.
Also in his message, the President said he got the support of President Park Geun-Hye for the country’s quest for stability in its disputed territory.
There was fruitful discussion on the issues of defense, disaster response, trade, maritime dispute and sports, the President said.
President Park committed South Korea’s assistance to Zamboanga City, which was devastated by recent violence as well as to the Visayas region affected by a strong earthquake this week.
South Korean companies like Hanjin have committed to intensify its investment in the country, he reported. The Korea Electric Power Corp. (KEPCO), which contributes to around 10 percent of power generated in the country, wanted to widen its operations in the Philippines.
Lotte, company engaged in hotel business, wants to put up hotel projects in the Visayas region, the President said. It also eyes to invest in other parts of the country to build more hotels, theme park, office space, and others.
South Korea’s National Pension Service has an available $50 billion that could be invested in the Philippines each year, according to the President.
The extraordinary developments in the Philippine economy have generated a lot of interest in South Korea to bring its money here and invest, he said.
The President also said he had a successful interaction with Filipinos leaving or staying in South Korea while in his two-day state visit to that country. PND (as)
Aquino lauds Filipino community in South Korea for their support
(SEOUL, South Korea) President Benigno S. Aquino III lauded the members of the Filipino community for support in his government reforms and the various changes he has made in his administration.
The Chief Executive made this statement during his meeting with the Filipino community at the Lotte Hotel here.
"Maraming salamat po dahil kayo ang gumawa ng pagbabago. Kayo pa rin ang boss ko ---kayo ang magsasabi kung tutuloy tayo, o babalikan ang lumang kalakaran kung saan iilan lang ang nakikinabang," he said.
"Nakamtan na po natin ang pagbabago ---at nasa atin na pa rin po, nasa kagustuhan nating magkaisa, nasa kamay natin kung paanong gagawing permanente ang pagbabagong tinatamasa natin ngayon," he added.
President Aquino said that he would remain faithful to his duties, adding that the Filipinos could expect him to continue doing what is good for the Filipino people.
The President said that all the reforms he has instituted in the government are designed to put everything in the righteous path for the benefit of the people.
While the President told them about the recently-concluded standoff in Zamboanga City, the impeachment of the former Chief Justice and the filing of charges against the former president, including the calamities such as typhoons and earthquake that struck the country, the President also mentioned the positive developments in the country.
President Aquino cited the positive developments in the education sector, PhilHealth, the Conditional Cash Transfer Program, as well as his efforts to improve the economy of the country.
"Bago matapos ang taong ito, sarado na ang backlog natin sa classroom, at patuloy pa tayong makakapagpagawa nito para sa mas dadaming estudyante dahil sa K to 12," he said.
On PhilHealth, the President said that 84 percent of Filipinos have been enrolled to the said program.
"Narinig na rin po siguro ninyo ang ating Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program. Sa programang ito, may cash transfer na natatanggap ang mga mahihirap na pamilya, kapalit ng pagpapapasok sa eskuwela ng kanilang mga bata, at pagpapa-check up kung buntis--mga kundisyong sila rin ang matutulungan," he said.
President Aquino urged the Filipinos to join the government in its efforts to tread the righteous path. "Makiisa naman po sana ang lahat at makiambag tungo sa pagbabago," he said.
"Kung maipapakita po natin ito sa mundo na sa Pilipinas, lahat sumusunod sa batas, baka po pati ang ating GDP growth na 7.6 percent sa first half ng taong ito, ay lalo pang tumaas," he said.
In closing, the President encouraged the Filipinos living and working in Seoul to help South Korea in the performance of their duties as Filipino community. PND (rda/co)
Palace says relief operations continue in Bohol, Cebu
President Benigno S. Aquino III visits Cebu to assess the extent of damages in the quake ravaged province on Wednesday (October 16). Cebu was placed under a state of calamity following a magnitude 7.2 earthquake that struck Central Visayas. The quake's epicenter was tracked in the mountainous area of Bohol. (Photo by Ryan Lim / Malacañang Photo Bureau)
Relief operations in Cebu and Bohol are continuing with the use of the country’s air and naval assets, Malacanang said on Saturday.
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte told dzRB Radyo ng Bayan that the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) was able to provide 10,310 food packs to Antequera, Calape, Carmen, Catigbian, Loon, Maribojoc, Panglao, San Isidro, Tagbilaran and Tubigon in Bohol.
The DSWD is also sending 1,000 family food packs to Tagbayan, Valte said.
A Philippine Air Force’s C-130 landed in Tagbilaran airport from Cebu bringing in relief goods and other non-food items such as tents that are needed for disaster relief, she said.
“Dagdag din dito iyong mga barko ng Philippine Navy na pabalik-balik mula Cebu papuntang Tagbilaran para magdala ng mga relief goods at binabagsak ‘yan lahat sa Bohol,” Valte said.
The Palace official also said the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) rescue team was able rescue 60 persons yesterday that include 10 senior citizens, three infants, 31 children including one critically injured in Tanauan and Loon in Bohol.
The MMDA also sent its fourth rescue team to assist in the ongoing rescue efforts in different municipalities in Bohol, Valte said.
“Ang mga efforts natin ay magpapatuloy today. We expect to identify more areas that require continuous relief from the provincial and from the national government as well as we also expect some progress in the clearing of the roads that have been rendered impassable because of landslides,” she said.
President Aquino, who arrived from South Korea last night, continues to coordinate with his Cabinet officials tasked to oversee the ongoing relief efforts in Bohol and Cebu, Valte added. PND (as)
Palace: Preparedness is best way to shield Metro from quakes
President Benigno S. Aquino III visits Bohol to assess the extent of damages in the quake ravaged province. Bohol is the hardest hit province by the magnitude 7.2 earthquake that struck Central Visayas Tuesday. It is also the strongest tremor that hit the province in the last 400 years. (Photo by Ryan Lim / Malacañang Photo Bureau)
The government, the private sector and the public must work together to prepare for quakes that could occur in Metro Manila, the Palace said on Saturday.
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said in an interview over dzRB Radyo ng Bayan on Saturday that the best way for the people to ensure their safety is by having adequate preparation for disasters.
Valte also said the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) has been studying the West Valley fault in Marikina that indicated critical movements every 200 or 400 years.
“Ang pinakamagandang panangga natin dito ay ihanda natin ang ating mga pamilya. Ang Phivolcs kasi ngayon ay nakikipagtulungan sa mga komunidad at nagdi-distribute ng mga geohazard maps,” she said.
“Tingnan natin kung nasaan ba ang ating mga kabahayan at siguraduhin natin na structurally sound ang mga ito, she noted.”
The Palace official also said that disaster preparedness starts at home so she encouraged everybody to review every family’s disaster preparedness measure.
“Kung lahat tayo maihahanda natin ang ating pamilya ay malaking bagay yun dahil, of course, the government cannot do this alone when it comes to disaster preparedness,” Valte said.
The government can continue to identify hazardous places, put them on the map, distribute them to local government units but the citizens must cooperate to carry out effective safety measures.
Valte also underscored the importance of private sector assistance in disaster preparedness.
She said the government continues to coordinate with the private sector when it comes to preparedness. The Philvocs has been in constant communication with a particular institution near the West Valley fault in Marikina.
With regards to retrofitting the metro’s structures, Valte said that once institutions are given the information it is their responsibility to make sure that their structures are sound at the soonest possible time. PND (as)
Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi
© Copyright, 2013 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved
PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE