PNoy WANTS PROBE ON CONVICTED KILLER ROLITO GO DISAPPEARANCE FROM JAIL

MANILA, AUGUST 16, 2012 (ABS-CBN) By Willard Cheng, ABS-CBN News - President Aquino wants to get to the bottom of reports that Rolito Go has gone missing from the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) in Muntinlupa City.

Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said Justice Secretary Leila de Lima has directed NBP Director Gaudencio Pangilinan to investigate the incident and beef up security measures in the facility.

De Lima has also asked the National Bureau of Investigation to form a task force to investigate the allegation that Go was abducted.

“He (President Aquino) got the information from Secretary Leila de Lima and he wants this thing investigated,” Lacierda said.

The Palace won’t blame Pangilinan for now, saying the matter is still under investigation.

“I know that there are concerns about, issues on confidence or competence about Pangilinan but let’s just wait for the results of all the investigation,” Lacierda said.

Rolito Go surfaces, now in police custody ABS-CBNnews.com Posted at 08/16/2012 12:07 AM | Updated as of 08/16/2012 2:40 AM

MANILA, Philippines (2nd UPDATE) – Convicted killer Rolito Go is now in police custody after he went missing from the New Bilibid Prisons (NBP) in Muntinlupa City Tuesday night.

Philippine National Police (PNP) Director-General Nicanor Bartolome said Go and his nephew, Clemence Yu, are already in the custody of the PNP-Anti-Kidnapping Group in Camp Crame.

Go told police that he and his nephew were supposedly released by their alleged kidnappers in Tanauan, Batangas.

Go claimed he and his nephew then took a bus to Alabang, where they were picked up by police.

Bartolome said Go and Yu sustained wounds in their bodies, which could indicate that they attempted to break free from the supposed kidnappers.

In a press conference at 1:30 a.m. Thursday in Camp Crame, Bartolome said police took custody of Go and Yu at 11:15 p.m. Wednesday.

He said the PNP Anti-Kidnapping Group had been coordinating with the Go family after it was reported that he was abducted.

Bartolome said the Go family claimed that no ransom was paid to the alleged kidnappers.

Go was last seen at the Ina ng Awa Church in the minimum security compound of the NBP Tuesday night. He and his nephew were allegedly forcibly taken by 4 people.

Bartolome said the PNP will continue its investigation into the incident.

Go was given food and will undergo a medical check-up before he is turned over to the Bureau of Corrections.

Go's family said Go and Yu were abducted and that the kidnappers demanded a P1 million ransom for their safe release.

Police have yet to determine if Go was indeed kidnapped and whether ransom was paid by the family.

Go was convicted for shooting and killing Eldon Maguan, 25, during a road rage incident in 1991.

The Maguan family has belied that Go was abducted. -- reports from Anthony Taberna, ABS-CBN News; Zandro Ochona, dzMM

Palace to de Lima: Concentrate on being Justice chief By Willard Cheng, ABS-CBN News Posted at 08/15/2012 3:45 PM | Updated as of 08/15/2012 7:06 PM

MANILA, Philippines - Malacanang is more than happy that Justice Secretary Leila de Lima can finally focus on her current job.

"I am certainly happy that she is back. She can concentrate with her work as Secretary of Justice. We are very, very comfortable with her being our Secretary of Justice,” Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said.

De Lima was earlier disqualified from the process for the next chief justice, despite being widely believed to be President Benigno Aquino’s top pick.

De Lima blamed a conspiracy among the Supreme Court, Integrated Bar of the Philippines and the Judicial and Bar Council for her disqualification.

Asked if de Lima would be considered for the next vacancy in the Supreme Court, Lacierda said it would be up to the justice chief to decide.

"We don't know when the next vacancy will be. We don't know yet. So I would have to defer to Secretary Leila de Lima if ever her name is again nominated as an associate justice," he said.

Malacanang earlier confirmed it had received the JBC shortlist of 8 nominees for the Chief Justice post. Lacierda said President Aquino does not have a history of returning shortlists to the JBC.

"The only reason why I cannot answer you categorically is that we have not spoken to the President but if you base it on past actions of the President, he has not returned the list," he said.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2012 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE