PALACE DEFENDED INCLUSION OF MARCOS IN HEROES HALL
MANILA, APRIL 14, 2011 (STANDARD) THE Palace on Tuesday defended the inclusion of the late strongman Ferdinand Marcos in the Armed Forces’ Hall of Heroes, where the portraits of 39 Medal of Valor awardees are displayed.
“These awards continue to be on the official roster of awards of the [Armed Forces],” deputy presidential spokeswoman Abigail Valte said.
“Until otherwise revoked, the awardees continue to receive appropriate recognition. It should be noted that the Armed Forces recognizes awardees for the specific deeds that put them on the roster.”
Valte said the recognition accorded to Marcos “does not and cannot include subsequent actions by the recipient.”
“While there is public interest in the conferment of [Armed Forces] awards, we should note that these awards are generally viewed as non-partisan and non-political.”
Marcos, then a congressman representing Ilocos Norte’s first district, received his Medal of Valor on Oct. 16, 1958, during the administration of the late President Carlos Garcia.
Before he became President, Marcos also received the Gold Cross Medal in 1947, when he was a technical assistant to President Manuel Roxas.
He also received the Distinguished Conduct Star in 1948, the Philippine Legion of Honor from President Elpidio Quirino in 1950, and the First Bronze Anahaw Leaf to the Distinguished Conduct Star, the First, Second, and Third Bronze Anahaw Leaves to the Gold Cross Medal, in 1963 from President Diosdado Macapagal.
The only Philippine military award received by Marcos while he was president was his Second Bronze Anahaw Leaf to the Distinguished Conduct Star.
President Benigno Aquino III had earlier tasked Vice President Jejomar Binay to study proposals to allow Marcos to be buried at the Heroes’ Cemetery. Joyce Pangco Pañares
© Copyright, 2011 by
PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved
PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE