ESPERON  TERM  AS  AFP  CHIEF  WON'T  BE  EXTENDED  ANEW  -  BUNYE
 

MANILA, April 27, 2008 (OFFICE OF THE PRESS SECRETARY, MALACANANG) The term of military chief General Hermogenes Esperon will not be extended anew by Malacanang.

Thus revealed Press Secretary and Presidential Spokesperson Ignacio R. Bunye when asked by members of the Malacanang Press Corps (MPC) yesterday about the possibility of another term extension for Esperon.

In his press briefing over the weekend in Malacanang, Press Secretary Bunye said: “I don’t think so.”

“The President has already named General Esperon’s successor, and even the date (of succession) has been fixed – May 9,” added Bunye.

The term of Esperon -- who was supposed to retire on his 56th birthday last February 9 as chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) – was extended for three months by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, the AFP’s commander-in-chief.

In extending Esperon’s term last February, the President had also named his successor – Army chief Alexander Yano.

Yano takes over as AFP chief of staff two weeks from now on May 9.

Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway opened to commercial traffic Monday

(MALACANANG) The Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway (SCTEx) will be opened to commercial traffic starting on Monday, April 28.

President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo had earlier graced the soft opening of the said world-class highway last March, before proceeding to Baguio City for her working Holy Week schedule.

The schedule of the commercial opening of the world-class highway linking Tarlac to the two economic freeport zones, Clark and Subic, was revealed by Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Lorelei Fajardo.

Fajardo joined the SCTEx caravan that was held today (Saturday, April 26) by the Northern Philippines Travel and Convention Bureau (NPTCB).

Starting off at Hacienda Luisita in San Miguel, Tarlac at around 9 a.m., the 200-car caravan headed for Subic, then departed for Clark at 2 p.m. for the closing ceremony at the Nayong Filipino at Clark’s Expo Filipino.

“Bring your cameras and be among the first to drive the entire length of the world-class expressway before it is opened to the public,” the NPTCB had enthused in its earlier texted invitation.

“We have almost 200 vehicles with us,” enthused Fajardo to the Presidential News Desk (PND).


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2008  by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE