NO BACKING DOWN ON CHARTER CHANGE - BUNYE
MALACANANG, NOVEMBER 6, 2006 (OFFICE OF THE PRESS SECRETARY) There’ll be no backing down in the administration’s campaign for Charter change, according to Press Secretary and Presidential Spokesman Ignacio R. Bunye.
In his column "The View From the Palace" which comes out tomorrow (Monday), Bunye said President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo will continue to push for Charter change, not because her political fortunes depend on it, but because Filipinos need a reformed political structure.
He pointed out that with or without Charter change, the President will serve her six-year electoral mandate which ends in 2010.
"Charter change will always be part of the permanent platform of President Arroyo," he added.
Bunye said that "Charter change is about the Filipino people who certainly deserve a more modern political structure that will help propel the country into the first world status by 2020."
"The desire of the people to change the degenerated system is evidently there. It is important to keep this fire burning," he said.
More than six million Filipinos endorsed the petition for constitutional change through people’s initiative which the Supreme Court thumbed down last month.
In a statement following the High Court’s ruling against the petition, the President explained that the "great idea of Charter reform lives on."
She said the campaign for Charter change is propelled by the people’s yearning for a "modern, working Philippines; to leave behind the degenerated system that is holding the nation back and keeping it too poor and too divided."
"We have a vision of having the Philippines join the ranks of first world nations by 2020 and a modern, more cohesive and more accountable political structure is key to achieving that goal," the President said.
‘Luli incident a wake-up call for airport courtesy’ The Philippine Star 11/06/2006
The recent incident involving presidential daughter Evangeline Lourdes "Luli" Arroyo and a Bureau of Immigration examiner should remind airport personnel that they should be courteous and polite to airline passengers, the head of the country’s premier airport said yesterday.
Alfonso Cusi, Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) general manager, said he has ordered all heads and representatives of various government agencies operating at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport to ensure that their frontline personnel accord due respect and courtesy to all.
"This should serve as a reminder to all of us in government," he said. "Courtesy knows no color, rank or status. Everyone simply deserves it."
Cusi said airport workers must keep in mind the MIAA’s "Smile," program which set the NAIA Airport Decorum that includes extending pleasant airport greetings to passengers to avoid insinuations of solicitation and extortion, among others. — Rainier Allan Ronda
Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi
© Copyright, 2006
by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved
PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE