ZUBIRI ON LOSS: TIME TO MOVE ON / MITRA LOSES RE-ELECT IN PALAWAN


[Former senator Juan Miguel Zubiri]

MANILA, MAY 20, 2013 (PHILSTAR) By Christina Mendez - Former senator Juan Miguel Zubiri yesterday accepted his defeat after he failed to make it to the top 12 of the 2013 senatorial race.

Zubiri, who ran under the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA), expressed gratitude to the 11.7 million people who voted for him.

“Now, it is time to move on. It is with great pride that I return to private life as a civilian, knowing what I have done, and that I have given everything I can to help our beloved country,” he said in a statement.

Zubiri vowed to “continue to do my part to help heal the divisions of this nation, and continue to pray for the success of our leaders.”

He first entered politics as representative of Bukidnon before he became senator in 2007.

“After a long and challenging campaign, and constant mudslinging - which is part of the political exercise - the people have spoken and the votes have been counted, and it seems fate is pointing me to another direction,” he said. “I have no regrets and worked as hard as I could to make a difference in the lives of our people.”

He also thanked Vice President Jejomar Binay for making him part of the UNA slate.

“Let not my loss be the end of our dreams, but the inspiration to keep the fire in your hearts burning,” he said.

Meanwhile, re-elected Sen. Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III yesterday tried to reach out to Zubiri through social networking site.

In his Twitter account, Pimentel said he wants to have lunch with the defeated senatorial bet. There was no reply posted on Zubiri’s account as of press time yesterday.

The two have been at odds since Pimentel accused Zubiri of cheating in the 2007 elections and depriving him of more than half of his rightful first term in the Senate

Mitra loses Palawan gov re-election bid By Jess Diaz (The Philippine Star) | Updated May 16, 2013 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - Former congressman and incumbent Palawan Gov. Abraham “Baham” Mitra has lost the gubernatorial post to billionaire businessman, logger and car-bus dealer Jose “Pepito” Alvarez.

Mitra, who beat Alvarez in 2010, thanked his supporters yesterday.

“I am very grateful to friends, allies and supporters who believed in our good governance program. In my heart, I know I have served our people and have served them well. I’m so sorry we did not make it,” he said.

“So far, I have no more intentions for a comeback. Elections have changed, as vote buying and technological manipulation have taken the place of face-to-face conventional campaigning,” he said.

Alvarez is a brother of outgoing first district Rep. Antonio Alvarez, whose son Chicoy is replacing him.

In Puerto Princesa City, Ellen Hagedorn, wife of incumbent mayor and losing independent senatorial candidate Edward Hagedorn, lost the mayoral race to Lucilo Baylon.

In Mindoro Occidental, Rep. Amelita Villarosa, a staunch ally of former president and Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, is losing the gubernatorial race to Mario Mendiola of the Liberal Party (LP).

Rep. Eleandro Madrona won re-election in Romblon, while in Marinduque, the Commission on Elections website showed that Gina Reyes (LP) was leading incumbent Rep. Lord Allan Jay Velasco, son of Supreme Court Justice Presbitero Velasco.

In Albay, Edcel Lagman Jr. was elected representative of the first district. His father, outgoing Rep. Edcel Lagman, said his son would continue his reproductive health advocacy and human rights and pro-people agenda.

126 mayors, 2 govs, 7 lawmakers in Calabarzon proclaimed By Ed Amoroso (The Philippine Star) | Updated May 17, 2013 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - One hundred twenty-six city and municipal mayors, two governors, and seven congressmen in the Calabarzon region have been proclaimed by the provincial board of canvassers, officials said yesterday.

Chief Superintendent Benito Estipona, Calabarzon police director, said among those proclaimed were the governors and vice governors of Batangas and Cavite, while those for Laguna, Rizal, and Quezon have yet to be proclaimed as of press time.

Estipona described the elections in the region as generally peaceful and fewer violent incidents were recorded as compared to the 2010 elections.

Of 142 mayors in Region 4A, 14 city and 112 municipal mayors were proclaimed by the Commission on Elections (Comelec), along with seven of 23 congressmen.

In Cavite, Jolo Revilla, son of Sen. Ramon Revilla Jr., defeated Jay Lacson, son of Sen. Panfilo Lacson, in the vice gubernatorial race.

Revilla’s wife, Lani, who won a landslide victory in the second district congressional race, and re-electionist Bacoor City Mayor Strike Revilla were also proclaimed.

In Laguna, Gov. Jeorge Estregan Ejercito has yet to be proclaimed.
 


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2013 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE