JINGGOY: DE LIMA GOT P1M MONTHLY ALLOWANCE FROM GLORIA ARROYO

JUNE 4 --Senator Jinggoy Estrada alleged on Wednesday that Justice Secretary Leila de Lima received P1 million in monthly allowance during her stint as Commission on Human Rights (CHR) chairperson. During De Lima's first confirmation hearing at the Senate, Estrada said the Cabinet official got the additional allowance from the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) under the instructions of former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. De Lima, who served as CHR head during Arroyo's term, denied the allegations. She only confirmed that her agency then received "confidential" or "intelligence funds" of "various amounts" that were sometimes given quarterly. "There was a confidential fund allotted to the CHR. That is not an additional allowance," De Lima said during the televised hearing, adding that they would sometimes receive P500,000. MORE...

ALSO: Estrada won’t wait for arrest, will surrender instead

JUNE 5--Senator Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada said he would no longer wait for the warrant of arrest to be issued against him and would instead surrender directly to proper authorities. Estrada issued the statement Thursday shortly after the Office of the Ombudsman junked his appeal to dismiss the plunder charges against him. “Hindi na. Surrender na lang ako kung gusto nila [No more. I will just surrender if they want],” Estrada told Senate reporters in a phone patch interview.
He said he would surrender to proper authorities. Asked again what he meant by proper authorities, Estrada said, “Kung saan nila ako gustog papuntahin [Wherever it is they would want me to go].” Before this, Estrada said he was no longer surprised by the decision of the Ombudsman, saying it is expected. And with the Ombudsman’s decision, Estrada is also expecting that the cases against him would be filed soon at the Sandiganbayan. “Moro-moro na lang yan. Talagang halatang-halata naman sila eh [It’s just moro-moro. They’ve been very obvious],” he said.THIS IS THE FULL REPORT.

ALSO: SC to Ombudsman: ‘Answer Bong plunder petition’

JUNE 4 --The Supreme Court (SC) yesterday directed the Office of the Ombudsman to answer the second petition of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. seeking to stop his indictment for plunder and other charges filed against him in connection with the pork barrel scam. In a press conference, SC spokesman Theodore Te said the anti-graft office is given 10 days from notice to comply with the order. In a 38-page petition filed last May 27, Revilla said his constitutional right to due process was violated when the ombudsman did not fully grant his plea to be furnished copies of 19 counter-affidavits submitted by his co-respondents in the plunder case. Revilla also sought the issuance of a temporary restraining order (TRO) on the filing of charges against him with the Sandiganbayan. Plunder is a non-bailable offense. Revilla wanted to get copies of all 19 answers, but the investigating panel of the anti-graft office approved the release of only six, in a joint order last May 15. Revilla said he found the order questionable since it was issued after the panel had already found probable cause for the plunder charges. READ MORE...

ALSO: De Lima fails to get CA confirmation

JUNE 4 --Justice Secretary Leila de Lima on Wednesday failed to get the confirmation of the powerful Commission on Appointments amid oppositions and questions raised against her.
The CA’s committee on justice and judicial and bar council, instead, suspended the hearing and will resume next week. It was De Lima’s first appearance before the CA and she was met with strong opposition from Sandra Cam, president of the Whistleblowers Association of the Philippines. Cam broke into tears at one point while narrating her opposition against the nominee. Senator Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada also peppered De Lima with questions and even accused her of receIving an additional P1 million allowance a month from the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp (Pagcor) when she was still head of the Commission on Human Rights. De Lima denied the allegation, saying the amount, not P1 million but only 500,000 as “confidential/intelligence) fund, sometimes given every quarter, and not every month as alleged by Estrada.THIS IS THE FULL REPORT.

ALSO: Sandra Cam bares De Lima’s ‘illicit affairs’

JUNE 4--Justice Secretary Leila De Lima’s alleged illicit affairs with certain men, including a married driver, were named in an affidavit that Sandra Cam has submitted to the Commission on Appointments (CA) to oppose de Lima’s confirmation. Cam, president of the Whistleblowers Association of the Philippines, was among those opposing De Lima’s confirmation.In her 10-page affidavit submitted to the CA’s committee on justice Tuesday, Cam cited De Lima’s “controversial private life” as among the reasons why she was opposing her confirmation. “De Lima’s personal life is likewise replete with controversies which overthrow her integrity as a public servant,” Cam said.
“Her illicit affair with Cesar Mancao has been circulating in the media for quite some time. Furthermore, reports have it that the Secretary is engaged in another illicit affair with her married driver, Ronnie Dayan,” she said. But these issues were not not brought up when the committee deliberated on De Lima’s confirmation his Wednesday. De Lima had earlier told the media that she would not dignify any personal issues that would be raised against her during her confirmation hearing. “Well, tingnan na lang natin but I’m not inclined to, you know, na patulan ang mga ganyan,” she told reporters before the start of the hearing.
(We’ll just see about that, but I’m not inclined to, you know, dignify those things.)THIS IS THE FULL REPORT.

ALSO: Enrile says he may be his own lawyer

JUNE 4 --Senate Minority Leader Juan Ponce Enrile may just be his own lawyer in the event the Ombudsman sends his plunder case to the Sandiganbayan.That is, if the court would allow it.
Enrile on Monday remained unfazed by reports that Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales was likely to file plunder cases in the Sandiganbayan against himself, Senators Jinggoy Estrada and Ramon Revilla Jr. and others for the alleged misuse of their Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF), or pork barrel. “Why not? I’m prepared. I’m prepared to deal with the problem in the courtroom,” Enrile told reporters. “In a fair court and fair trial, I’m ready to face anybody,” he said, brushing aside statements by Morales that there was enough evidence to indict him and his colleagues for plunder. “I’ve handled criminal cases—not that I’m a criminal lawyer—but as a law practitioner. I grew up in the courtroom,” he said. Asked if he would be defending himself in court, Enrile said: “If they will allow me. But my lawyers are prepared to handle this case.” If the court would allow him to be his own lawyer, he said he would not reveal how he would handle his case. “I’ve never discussed judicial cases before the media,” Enrile said. Meanwhile, Enrile said it did not matter which body investigated the allegations made by alleged pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Lim-Napoles. In her two affidavits submitted to the Senate blue ribbon committee, Napoles said 20 senators and 100 congressmen benefited from kickbacks in the pork barrel scam.THIS IS THE FULL REPORT.


Read Full Stories here:

Jinggoy: De Lima got P1M monthly allowance from GMA


Justice Secretary Leila De Lima facing the Senate in 2012. ALEX NUEVAESPANA/ PRIB/ SENATE POOL

MANILA, JUNE 9, 2014 (PHILSTAR) By Louis Bacani — Senator Jinggoy Estrada alleged on Wednesday that Justice Secretary Leila de Lima received P1 million in monthly allowance during her stint as Commission on Human Rights (CHR) chairperson.

During De Lima's first confirmation hearing at the Senate, Estrada said the Cabinet official got the additional allowance from the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) under the instructions of former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.

De Lima, who served as CHR head during Arroyo's term, denied the allegations. She only confirmed that her agency then received "confidential" or "intelligence funds" of "various amounts" that were sometimes given quarterly.

"There was a confidential fund allotted to the CHR. That is not an additional allowance," De Lima said during the televised hearing, adding that they would sometimes receive P500,000.

Estrada is not buying De Lima's claim.

"No, I don't believe that. You were receiving a monthly allowance of P1 million," Estrada insisted.

Estrada, however, said he does not intend to block the confirmation of De Lima's appointment.

"I do not have a grudge against her," Estrada said.

De Lima's department has filed plunder charges against Estrada and other personalities who were allegedly involved in the multibillion-peso pork barrel scam.

Estrada is a member of the powerful Commission on Appointments, which will decide on the confirmation of De Lima's appointment as justice secretary.

FROM THE INQUIRER

Estrada won’t wait for arrest, will surrender instead 5:18 pm | Thursday, June 5th, 2014
 


Senator Jose 'Jinggoy'?ť Estrada asks question to Justice Secretary Leila de Lima on Wednesday as she failed to get the confirmation of the powerful Commission on Appointments amid oppositions and questions raised. NINO JESUS ORBETA/INQUIRER

MANILA, Philippines – Senator Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada said he would no longer wait for the warrant of arrest to be issued against him and would instead surrender directly to proper authorities.

Estrada issued the statement Thursday shortly after the Office of the Ombudsman junked his appeal to dismiss the plunder charges against him.

“Hindi na. Surrender na lang ako kung gusto nila [No more. I will just surrender if they want],” Estrada told Senate reporters in a phone patch interview.

He said he would surrender to proper authorities.

Asked again what he meant by proper authorities, Estrada said, “Kung saan nila ako gustog papuntahin [Wherever it is they would want me to go].”

Before this, Estrada said he was no longer surprised by the decision of the Ombudsman, saying it is expected.

And with the Ombudsman’s decision, Estrada is also expecting that the cases against him would be filed soon at the Sandiganbayan.

“Moro-moro na lang yan. Talagang halatang-halata naman sila eh [It’s just moro-moro. They’ve been very obvious],” he said.

‘Answer Bong plunder petition’ By Edu Punay (The Philippine Star) | Updated June 4, 2014 - 12:00am 0 304 googleplus0 0

MANILA, Philippines - The Supreme Court (SC) yesterday directed the Office of the Ombudsman to answer the second petition of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. seeking to stop his indictment for plunder and other charges filed against him in connection with the pork barrel scam.

In a press conference, SC spokesman Theodore Te said the anti-graft office is given 10 days from notice to comply with the order.

In a 38-page petition filed last May 27, Revilla said his constitutional right to due process was violated when the ombudsman did not fully grant his plea to be furnished copies of 19 counter-affidavits submitted by his co-respondents in the plunder case.

Revilla also sought the issuance of a temporary restraining order (TRO) on the filing of charges against him with the Sandiganbayan. Plunder is a non-bailable offense.

Revilla wanted to get copies of all 19 answers, but the investigating panel of the anti-graft office approved the release of only six, in a joint order last May 15.

Revilla said he found the order questionable since it was issued after the panel had already found probable cause for the plunder charges.

“This leads to no other conclusion than that the special panel attempted, but failed, to rectify its error in denying Senator Revilla’s right to due process,” read his petition filed through lawyer Joel Bodegon.

Bodegon said the alleged violation of his client’s constitutional right to due process should be enough to justify the voiding of the ombudsman’s finding of probable cause as well as the holding of a new preliminary investigation.

“A preliminary investigation that is bereft of due process, as in the instant cases, is a complete nullity,” he stressed.

Meanwhile, Sen. Jinggoy Estrada, who is also facing plunder charges, said the government should demonstrate its impartiality on the pork barrel issue by expanding its investigation to include administration allies linked to the scam like Budget Secretary Florencio Abad.

“Fairness dictates that if we will be charged in court and sent to jail, they should also investigate and charge the others who were mentioned,” Estrada said in Filipino.

Also indicted for plunder is Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile.

Estrada said the affidavits of alleged pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Lim-Napoles as well as the digital files of whistle-blower Benhur Luy included lists of several incumbent and former lawmakers who had reportedly transacted with the businesswoman.

Estrada said the allegations raised against them paled in comparison with those made against Abad.

Estrada said he and his two senator-colleagues have only been accused of making endorsements to government implementing agencies on how to use their Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF).

In her sworn affidavit, Napoles claimed that she learned the ropes of the trade from Abad.

Napoles claimed that the legislators ended up pocketing 50 percent of the amounts that they assigned to her NGOs, while she also received a percentage for her role.

“They should start with that of Butch Abad. They are the ones who release the funds, not us. If he is really the mentor, then he should know all of the ins and outs,” Estrada said.

Estrada said that Napoles and Abad should be made to appear before the next hearing of the Senate Blue Ribbon committee “so that you will see who is really lying.”

“That would be exciting,” he said.

Estrada pointed out that Abad was also the brains behind the controversial Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP), which allowed the realignment of savings in the national budget to projects that needed to be implemented right away.

However, it was alleged that funds released through DAP were given to the senators who voted for the conviction of former chief justice Renato Corona during his impeachment trial.

“He (Abad) was the mastermind of that. He was the one who admitted that the funds that went to the senators came from DAP. Even the COA (Commission on Audit) received DAP funds,” Estrada said. - Marvin Sy

FROM THE INQUIRER

De Lima fails to get CA confirmation By Maila Ager INQUIRER.net 6:03 pm | Wednesday, June 4th, 2014
 


DE LIMA

MANILA, Philippines—Justice Secretary Leila de Lima on Wednesday failed to get the confirmation of the powerful Commission on Appointments amid oppositions and questions raised against her.

The CA’s committee on justice and judicial and bar council, instead, suspended the hearing and will resume next week.
It was De Lima’s first appearance before the CA and she was met with strong opposition from Sandra Cam, president of the Whistleblowers Association of the Philippines.

Cam broke into tears at one point while narrating her opposition against the nominee.

Senator Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada also peppered De Lima with questions and even accused her of receIving an additional P1 million allowance a month from the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp (Pagcor) when she was still head of the Commission on Human Rights.

De Lima denied the allegation, saying the amount, not P1 million but only 500,000 as “confidential/intelligence) fund, sometimes given every quarter, and not every month as alleged by Estrada.

Cam bares De Lima’s ‘illicit affairs’ By Maila Ager INQUIRER.net 3:03 pm | Wednesday, June 4th, 2014
 

J
ustice Secretary Leila de Lima INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines—Justice Secretary Leila De Lima’s alleged illicit affairs with certain men, including a married driver, were named in an affidavit that Sandra Cam has submitted to the Commission on Appointments (CA) to oppose de Lima’s confirmation.

Cam, president of the Whistleblowers Association of the Philippines, was among those opposing De Lima’s confirmation.
In her 10-page affidavit submitted to the CA’s committee on justice Tuesday, Cam cited De Lima’s “controversial private life” as among the reasons why she was opposing her confirmation.

“De Lima’s personal life is likewise replete with controversies which overthrow her integrity as a public servant,” Cam said.

“Her illicit affair with Cesar Mancao has been circulating in the media for quite some time. Furthermore, reports have it that the Secretary is engaged in another illicit affair with her married driver, Ronnie Dayan,” she said.

But these issues were not not brought up when the committee deliberated on De Lima’s confirmation his Wednesday.

De Lima had earlier told the media that she would not dignify any personal issues that would be raised against her during her confirmation hearing.

“Well, tingnan na lang natin but I’m not inclined to, you know, na patulan ang mga ganyan,” she told reporters before the start of the hearing.

(We’ll just see about that, but I’m not inclined to, you know, dignify those things.)

Enrile says he may be his own lawyer Philippine Daily Inquirer 5:42 am | Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014


Senate Minority Leader Juan Ponce Enrile: I grew up in the courtroom. FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines–Senate Minority Leader Juan Ponce Enrile may just be his own lawyer in the event the Ombudsman sends his plunder case to the Sandiganbayan.

That is, if the court would allow it.

Enrile on Monday remained unfazed by reports that Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales was likely to file plunder cases in the Sandiganbayan against himself, Senators Jinggoy Estrada and Ramon Revilla Jr. and others for the alleged misuse of their Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF), or pork barrel.

“Why not? I’m prepared. I’m prepared to deal with the problem in the courtroom,” Enrile told reporters.

“In a fair court and fair trial, I’m ready to face anybody,” he said, brushing aside statements by Morales that there was enough evidence to indict him and his colleagues for plunder.

“I’ve handled criminal cases—not that I’m a criminal lawyer—but as a law practitioner. I grew up in the courtroom,” he said.

Asked if he would be defending himself in court, Enrile said: “If they will allow me. But my lawyers are prepared to handle this case.”

If the court would allow him to be his own lawyer, he said he would not reveal how he would handle his case.
“I’ve never discussed judicial cases before the media,” Enrile said.

Meanwhile, Enrile said it did not matter which body investigated the allegations made by alleged pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Lim-Napoles.

In her two affidavits submitted to the Senate blue ribbon committee, Napoles said 20 senators and 100 congressmen benefited from kickbacks in the pork barrel scam.–Christine O. Avendańo


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2014 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE