NO EDSA AT PALACE; NOY WANTS TO SPEND DAY WITH
YOLANDA VICTIMS

Contrary to what the EDSA People Power Commission has announced, this year’s EDSA anniversary will not be held at the Palace grounds, as President Aquino reportedly preferred to spend the day with the victims of calamities in the Visayas. Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said yesterday it was Aquino’s wish to transfer the EDSA celebrations from Manila to Cebu. Coloma said the President wanted to revisit the areas affected by natural calamities before he leaves for Malaysia for a state visit on Feb. 27 to 28. He said this year’s EDSA celebration would be themed “Kapit-bisig Tungo sa Pagbangon.” “The President said it was important to rally people in areas affected by calamities in order to rekindle the spirit of EDSA People Power in rebuilding better communities. Hence the original plan to hold the event in Malacañang was shelved,” he said.

ALSO: People power rites in Cebu, not at Edsa

From Edsa to Malacañang to Cebu. For the first time in nearly three decades, the anniversary of the historic 1986 Edsa People Power Revolution will not be celebrated at the place where it happened. Organizers on Thursday said the festivities marking the Feb. 22-25, 1986, uprising that ended Ferdinand Marcos’ dictatorial rule would be held not on Edsa but in the “Queen City of the South”—Cebu City—partly to accommodate President Aquino’s wish “to be one with the people.” Solidarity with victims- “He wants to be one with the people, especially those who were affected by the natural calamities,” presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said in a press briefing. Lacierda said the meetings—called “pulong-bayan”—would give Aquino with a “good opportunity” to show his “solidarity with those people affected” by the natural disasters.

ALSO: Aquino to spend People Power anniversary with calamity survivors

Instead of the usual ceremony at the People Power Monument in Edsa, President Benigno Aquino III will celebrate the 28th anniversary of the Edsa People Power with typhoon survivors. “The President prefers to spend… next week with the people affected by natural calamities: by Typhoon ‘Pablo’ and also by Typhoon ‘Yolanda,’” Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said Thursday at a Palace press briefing.
Palace earlier said the celebration will be held at the Malacañang grounds, taking into consideration the traffic it will cause on Edsa. Next week, Aquino will visit areas badly-hit by typhoons Pablo and Yolanda, as well as the 7.2-magnitude earthquake that shook Visayas. He will visit Cateel, Davao Oriental and Bohol on Feb. 24 and spend the Edsa anniversary on Feb. 25 in Leyte and Bantayan Island in Cebu.

EARLIER REPORT: ‘People Power’ 1 anniversary rites moved from Edsa to Malacañang 

After almost three decades of celebrating democracy, Malacañang is toning down the festivities of for the 28th anniversary of the Edsa People Power Revolution. Secretary Herminio Coloma of the Presidential Communications Operations Office said that the celebration for the 2014 anniversary of the Edsa People Power
Revolution would be held at the Malacañang grounds on Feb. 25. He said that Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa, who heads the Edsa People Power Commission, was the one who decided the change of venues. “Minding the situation of the people, and not to create a bigger problem on the traffic of Edsa, the celebrations would be conducted on the Malacañang grounds,” Coloma said Sunday on an radio interview.

LAST YEAR: Sky turns yellow for 27th Edsa anniversary

The sky turned yellow Monday when confetti rained down from the sky as the country celebrates the 27th anniversary of the People Power Revolution. A helicopter showered the participants of the yearly “Salubungan” with confetti when they reached the People Power Monument in Quezon City around 8:30 a.m.


READ FULL MEDIA REPORTS:

No EDSA rites at Palace

MANILA, FEBRUARY 24, 2014 (PHILSTAR) By Delon Porcalla - Contrary to what the EDSA People Power Commission has announced, this year’s EDSA anniversary will not be held at the Palace grounds, as President Aquino reportedly preferred to spend the day with the victims of calamities in the Visayas.

Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said yesterday it was Aquino’s wish to transfer the EDSA celebrations from Manila to Cebu.

Coloma said the President wanted to revisit the areas affected by natural calamities before he leaves for Malaysia for a state visit on Feb. 27 to 28.

He said this year’s EDSA celebration would be themed “Kapit-bisig Tungo sa Pagbangon.”

“The President said it was important to rally people in areas affected by calamities in order to rekindle the spirit of EDSA People Power in rebuilding better communities. Hence the original plan to hold the event in Malacañang was shelved,” he said.

The Palace official said the traditional Salubungan or reenactment of the meeting between the civilian and the military participants of the EDSA People Power would be held on the morning of Feb. 25 at the Cebu provincial capitol grounds.

He said Cebu was chosen to be the venue for the EDSA anniversary celebration this year as the province was the bulwark of the opposition to the dictatorship during the martial law regime.

“It was in Cebu where then Mrs. Corazon Aquino stayed when the military defected from President Marcos on Feb. 22, 1986.”

Meanwhile, presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda refused to comment on the matter, saying his office is not in charge of the 28th EDSA anniversary celebrations.

“I suppose there was a change of plans and the President prefers to spend his days next week with the survivors of Typhoons Pablo and Yolanda,” Lacierda told journalists in a press briefing.

As far as he knows, Lacierda said Aquino would be visiting Cateel town in Davao Oriental, which was hit by Typhoon Pablo in 2012; Cebu and Bohol, which were struck by a 7.2-magnitude earthquake in 2013, and the Yolanda-devastated province of Leyte.

He said the President would attend “town hall meetings” in Cebu and in other areas, although he did not say whether this would be the final schedule.

“This is only what I know based on the media advisory. But basically we will refer to the EDSA People Power Commission. We don’t have a hand in the planning of the EDSA celebration,” Lacierda clarified.

He expressed belief the President wants to spend EDSA with the victims of natural calamities, to be in solidarity with the people.

“The EDSA celebration has always been symbolic. You remember the solidarity of the Filipino people that February in 1986,” Lacierda said.

FROM THE INQUIRER

People power rites in Cebu, not at Edsa By Christian V. Esguerra Philippine Daily Inquirer 4:00 am | Friday, February 21st, 2014


http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/files/2014/02/edsa-guyito.jpg
THE REVOLUTION HAPPENED HERE A worker puts small Philippine flags in the hands of statues representing the Filipino people in the People Power Monument on Epifanio de los Santos Avenue in Quezon City on Thursday, ahead of the 28th anniversary of the Edsa Revolution next Tuesday. MARIANNE BERMUDEZ

MANILA, Philippines—From Edsa to Malacañang to Cebu.

For the first time in nearly three decades, the anniversary of the historic 1986 Edsa People Power Revolution will not be celebrated at the place where it happened.

Organizers on Thursday said the festivities marking the Feb. 22-25, 1986, uprising that ended Ferdinand Marcos’ dictatorial rule would be held not on Edsa but in the “Queen City of the South”—Cebu City—partly to accommodate President Aquino’s wish “to be one with the people.”

Unlike in the past, Aquino will commemorate the 28th anniversary of the 1986 revolution by holding “town hall” meetings with victims of Typhoons “Pablo” and “Yolanda” and the 7.2-magnitude earthquake that struck the Visayas region.

Solidarity with victims

“He wants to be one with the people, especially those who were affected by the natural calamities,” presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said in a press briefing.

Lacierda said the meetings—called “pulong-bayan”—would give Aquino with a “good opportunity” to show his “solidarity with those people affected” by the natural disasters.

A group of Yolanda victims has traveled all the way to Manila to express their concern over the supposedly slow pace of rehabilitation in the Leyte area.

The group appealed for a P40,000 cash aid for each of the affected families to help them get back on their feet.
P40,000 not enough

The President has rejected the appeal, saying: “It’s easy to suggest, ‘Come, join us, you’ll get P40,000.’ But how long would it sustain their families? Would they be able to rebuild their houses with that?”

Lacierda defended Aquino’s remarks, saying that “the actions of the President have shown that he is anything but insensitive.”

“We cannot discount the fact that there are people who will not be satisfied with the work that we do, but that’s free expression,” Lacierda said. “We will continue to do our job.”

He reiterated the government’s rehabilitation plan, which is anchored on the so-called “build-back-better” approach.

Homes better than money

“We have a reason why it is better to give them homes rather than give them money,” Lacierda said. “We would prefer to give them employment rather than give them P40,000. We’d rather give them the tools to fish rather than just give them the fish.”

On the eve of the Edsa rites in Cebu, the President will fly to Cateel, Davao Oriental province, which suffered from the onslaught of Typhoon Pablo in 2012, and then to Loon, Bohol province, which was hit by a big earthquake last October.

After the traditional Edsa “salubungan (encounter)” at the Cebu provincial capitol, the President will proceed to Bantayan Island, then to Leyte and Samar provinces, which were devastated by Yolanda in November.

Malaysia visit

Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma earlier said the Edsa rites would be held at the Malacañang complex. But the Edsa People Power Commission (EPPC), which organizes the affair, said later it would be held in Cebu.

“The decision to move the celebrations away from Edsa is also to give consideration to commuters who use the thoroughfare where various government infrastructure projects have already been initiated,” the commission said in a media advisory.

In his latest statement, Coloma said the original plan was “shelved” after the President met with Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa “and conveyed his decision to revisit the areas affected by recent natural calamities before he leaves for his official visit to Malaysia on Feb. 27 to 28.”

Ochoa chairs the EPPC.

ALSO: Aquino to spend People Power anniversary with calamity survivors By Kristine Angeli Sabillo INQUIRER.net 5:09 pm | Thursday, February 20th, 2014


President Benigno Aquino III. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines – Instead of the usual ceremony at the People Power Monument in Edsa, President Benigno Aquino III will celebrate the 28th anniversary of the Edsa People Power with typhoon survivors.

“The President prefers to spend… next week with the people affected by natural calamities: by Typhoon ‘Pablo’ and also by Typhoon ‘Yolanda,’” Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said Thursday at a Palace press briefing.

Palace earlier said the celebration will be held at the Malacañang grounds, taking into consideration the traffic it will cause on Edsa.

Next week, Aquino will visit areas badly-hit by typhoons Pablo and Yolanda, as well as the 7.2-magnitude earthquake that shook Visayas. He will visit Cateel, Davao Oriental and Bohol on Feb. 24 and spend the Edsa anniversary on Feb. 25 in Leyte and Bantayan Island in Cebu.

Lacierda said Aquino wants to be with the typhoon survivors to show solidarity, especially on the eve and day of the Edsa People Power.

“I fully support the decision of the President to spend his EDSA celebration in the midst of the people afflicted to show that he is one and will always be one with the people—those who suffered during the two calamities,” he said.

The spokesperson said the government continues to do its best to address the concerns of the survivors.

EARLIER REPORT

‘People Power’ 1 anniversary rites moved from Edsa to Malacañang By Bong Lozada INQUIRER.net 6:49 pm | Sunday, February 16th, 2014


CATHOLIC nuns and supporters of the people’s revolt greet a soldier aboard a V-150 armored tank on Edsa in 1986. FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines—After almost three decades of celebrating democracy, Malacañang is toning down the festivities of for the 28th anniversary of the Edsa People Power Revolution.

Secretary Herminio Coloma of the Presidential Communications Operations Office said that the celebration for the 2014 anniversary of the Edsa People Power Revolution would be held at the Malacañang grounds on Feb. 25.

He said that Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa, who heads the Edsa People Power Commission, was the one who decided the change of venues.

“Minding the situation of the people, and not to create a bigger problem on the traffic of Edsa, the celebrations would be conducted on the Malacañang grounds,” Coloma said Sunday on an radio interview.

Coloma added that the flag-raising and the “Salubong,” which is a tribute to the meeting of then Defense Minister, Senator Juan Ponce Enrile and Vice Chief of Staff, General, and former president, Fidel V. Ramos between Camps Crame and Aguinaldo.

President Benigno Aquino III would hold a public meeting, under the theme “Kapit-bisig para sa Pagbangon,” to talk with representatives from different sectors.

“We are slowly taking away the center of the celebration from the people who stood up in 1986 in Edsa to the current generation of Filipinos who are now on the front against corruption,” Coloma said.

He said that the government is still working to improve the quality of life of Filipinos who are experiencing “unjust poor conditions.”

LAST YEAR'S EDSA

Sky turns yellow for 27th Edsa anniversary By Jamie Elona INQUIRER.net 9:18 am | Monday, February 25th, 2013

MANILA, Philippines – The sky turned yellow Monday when confetti rained down from the sky as the country celebrates the 27th anniversary of the People Power Revolution.

A helicopter showered the participants of the yearly “Salubungan” with confetti when they reached the People Power Monument in Quezon City around 8:30 a.m.

The participants, which included military, police officials, members of the church, non-government units and other sectors, shook hands as yellow confetti fell from the sky.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2014 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE