CHINA REMINDS AQUINO: WE FOUGHT HITLER IN WW2

CHINA on Friday reminded President Aquino it had fought on the side of the Allied Powers
against fascist Japan and Germany in World War II, after Aquino likened China’s encroachment into the South China Sea with Adolf Hitler’s hegemonic moves in World War II. In a press briefing, China’s Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hong Lei said, “As an unwavering upholder of international justice, China made huge sacrifice and indelible historical contribution to the victory of the World Anti-Fascist War. It is inconceivable and unreasonble to place China-Philippines South China Sea disputes in the same category with the WWII history.” “At what point do you say: ‘Enough is enough’? Aquino asked? “Well, the world has to say it -— remember that the Sudetenland was given in an attempt to appease Hitler to prevent World War II,” Aquino, who prides himself on being a war history buff, told the New York Times in an interview in Manila. A Xinhua News Agency commentator Ming Jinwei called Aquino “an amateurish politician who was ignorant both of history and reality.” He also said Aquino “has never been a great candidate for a wise statesman in the region.”

 ALSO: Palace urges China: Don’t focus on Aquino, join talks instead

Malacañang yesterday urged the Chinese government not to focus on the recent statement by President Benigno S. Aquino III and participate instead on the arbitration proceedings before the international tribunal. In an interview with the New York Times last week, Aquino urged world leaders not to make the same appeasement and instead resist China’s wrong claims in the Philippine territory. Chinese Foreign Minisry Hong Lei said Aquino’s remarks are “inconceivable and unreasonable,” saying that the Chinese are “shocked at and dissatisfied with the remarks from the Philippine side.” Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda, however, said the territorial dispute is now with the international tribunal.

ALSO: Hearings on PH, China dispute begin

“The Philippine government is pleased that the arbitral tribunal is now formally constituted, and that the arbitration process has begun. The department and the OSG have pledged their fullest cooperation with the tribunal, in order to assure a fair, impartial, and efficient process that produces a final and binding judgment in conformity with international law,” the DFA said. The International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS) has named a topnotch maritime judge as president of the arbitral tribunal in the Philippines' case against China. Thomas Mensah, an 81-year-old judge from Ghana and the first ITLOS head, presides over the 5-member arbitral tribunal. The West Philippine Sea dispute heated up again in the past few days, after the Chinese Foreign Ministry said the Philippines lied in Belgium about their territorial row.

ALSO: China rejects US criticism on South China Sea

China rejected U.S. allegations that it is using vague territorial claims to gradually assert control in the disputed South China Sea, and in turn accused Washington of exaggerating tensions in the region. Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei urged the U.S. to take a "rational and fair attitude," and reiterated China's position that its claims are based on history and international law. In a statement Saturday, Hong said that some U.S. officials' remarks were not constructive, and "playing up tensions" was not conducive to maintaining peace and stability. The United States said Wednesday that actions by China have raised concerns it is trying to assert control over an area covering roughly 80 percent of the South China Sea despite the objections of its neighbors. The resource-rich waters are dotted with reefs and islands subject to multiple disputes involving China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan.


READ FULL MEDIA REPORTS:

China to Aquino: We fought Hitler in WWII VERA Files


CHINA on Friday reminded President Aquino it had fought on the side of the Allied Powers against fascist Japan and Germany in World War II, after Aquino likened China’s encroachment into the South China Sea with Adolf Hitler’s hegemonic moves in World War II. In a press briefing, China’s Foreign Ministry.

MANILA, FEBRUARY 10, 2014 (YAHOO PHILIPPINE NEWS INFO)By ELLEN TORDESILLAS - CHINA on Friday reminded President Aquino it had fought on the side of the Allied Powers against fascist Japan and Germany in World War II, after Aquino likened China’s encroachment into the South China Sea with Adolf Hitler’s hegemonic moves in World War II.

In a press briefing, China’s Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hong Lei said, “As an unwavering upholder of international justice, China made huge sacrifice and indelible historical contribution to the victory of the World Anti-Fascist War. It is inconceivable and unreasonble to place China-Philippines South China Sea disputes in the same category with the WWII history.”


“At what point do you say: ‘Enough is enough’? Aquino asked? “Well, the world has to say it -— remember that the Sudetenland was given in an attempt to appease Hitler to prevent World War II,” Aquino, who prides himself on being a war history buff, told the New York Times in an interview in Manila.

In an interview with New York Times Tuesday, Aquino had called on the international community to support the Philippine position of resisting China’s hegemonic moves in the South China Sea and not to make the mistake of appeasing the Asian superpower.

The Philippines and China have overlapping claims over areas in the South China Sea together with Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan.

“At what point do you say: ‘Enough is enough’? Aquino asked? “Well, the world has to say it -— remember that the Sudetenland was given in an attempt to appease Hitler to prevent World War II,” Aquino, who prides himself on being a war history buff, told the New York Times in an interview in Manila.

Aquino’s remarks revived memories of the failure by Western nations to back Czechoslovakia when Adolf Hitler-led Nazi Germany occupied western parts of the European nation in 1938 ahead of World War II. Sudentenland was the region given over to Germany to appease Hitler.

Hong also said China was “shocked at and dissatisfied” with Aquino’s statement, calling his comparison of the South China Sea territorial dispute to Sudetenland as “inconceivable and “unreasonable.”

Germany was joined by Italy and Japan to form the Axis power against WWII Allies composed of Great Britain, United States, Russia, France, Poland, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Newfoundland, South Africa, China, Canada, British Raj (India), the Netherlands, Norway and Yugoslavia.

The Allied leaders of the Asian and Pacific Theater Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Winston Churchill meeting at the Cairo Conference in 1943.

The Allied leaders of the Asian and Pacific Theater Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Winston Churchill meeting at the Cairo Conference in 1943.

A Xinhua News Agency commentator Ming Jinwei called Aquino “an amateurish politician who was ignorant both of history and reality.”

He also said Aquino “has never been a great candidate for a wise statesman in the region.”

Aquino Friday responded to the Xin Hua commentator by thanking him in Filipino for “reaffirming the validity of our position.”

He said, “There is a saying that if you can’t answer the issue, you resort to name-calling.”

The Philippines has asked the United Nations Arbitral Tribunal to declare as illegal China’s 9-dash line map, which claims almost 80 per cent of the whole South China Sea as Chinese territory.

The full statement of the Chinese Foreign Ministry:

Q: In a recent interview, the Philippine President Benigno Aquino III reportedly compared the Philippines which is in territorial disputes with China to pre-WWII Czechoslovakia. What is China’s response to his remarks? Are China-Philippines territorial disputes exacerbating?

A: The disputes in the South China Sea between China and the Philippines mainly stem from the Philippines’ illegal occupation of some islands and reefs of China’s Nansha islands. The fact is crystal clear. Our two countries also have disputes over the delineation of maritime boundaries. China firmly opposes the Philippines’ occupation of China’s islands and reefs. As an unwavering upholder of international justice, China made huge sacrifice and indelible historical contribution to the victory of the World Anti-Fascist War. It is inconceivable and unreasonble to place China-Philippines South China Sea disputes in the same category with the WWII history. The Chinese side is shocked at and dissatisfied with the remarks from the Philippine side.

The Chinese government has firm resolve to uphold territorial sovereignty and maritime rights and interests. We also commit to the settlement of relevant disputes through direct negotiation and consultation among relevant parties concerned. We hope that the Philippines will correct its mistakes and work toward the same goal with China to jointly uphold regional peace and stability.

FROM MANILA BULLETIN

Palace urges China: Don’t focus on Aquino, join talks instead by Madel Sabater - Namit February 9, 2014 (updated) Share this:


The Palace has called on China to focus on joining talks to address the territorial disputes and not to focus on President Aquino who recently likened China’s territorial assertion to Adolf Hitler’s occupation of territories in the past. President Benigno S. Aquino III drew flak from the Chinese media after he made his “Hitler” remarks where he compared China’s claims in the West Philippine Sea with Nazi Germany’s occupation of Czechoslovakia in the 1930s.

Manila, Philippines – Malacañang yesterday urged the Chinese government not to focus on the recent statement by President Benigno S. Aquino III and participate instead on the arbitration proceedings before the international tribunal.

In an interview with the New York Times last week, Aquino urged world leaders not to make the same appeasement and instead resist China’s wrong claims in the Philippine territory.

Chinese Foreign Minisry Hong Lei said Aquino’s remarks are “inconceivable and unreasonable,” saying that the Chinese are “shocked at and dissatisfied with the remarks from the Philippine side.”

Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda, however, said the territorial dispute is now with the international tribunal.

“What the Foreign Ministry Spokesman failed to address is that we have already brought this matter to arbitration, an arbitration proceedings which China and the Philippines signed up as well,” Lacierda said.

The Palace official said China cannot have its way of having dialogue with the country as its nine-dash line involves several other countries.

“How can you have a dialogue when the issue is multinational? So in that case, resolving a situation with one county will not necessarily resolve the conflict in other countries because this covers a number of countries,” Lacierda said.

“All we’re saying is that we have a rules-based approach, we have endeavored to achieve peace through arbitration. We ask the world to support us in this endeavor and we ask China to join us in this arbitration proceeding. I think that’s not fairly shocking,” he said.

Lacierda also stressed that the territorial dispute between China and the Philippines does not make the overall bilateral relations between the two countries.

“I think we are responsible enough; both countries are responsible enough to ensure that there are many levels of exchange between the two countries. Patuloy po ang ating relations with China on different levels—tourism, etcetera, and cultural,” he said.

The Palace official, meanwhile, welcomed the proposal of some Filipino-Chinese businessmen to conduct a dialogue with the Hong Kong and Chinese governments to resolve their respective issues with the country.

The Hong Kong government has imposed sanctions on the Philippines by removing its visa-free privilege for diplomatic and official passport holders as the Philippine government stood its ground not to express its apology for the Manila bus hostage incident in August 2010.

“If it will better the understanding between Hong Kong and the Philippines and it will improve relations consistent with our national interest, consistent with the position taken by Philippine government, why not?”Lacierda said.

FROM THE RAPPLER.COM

Hearings on PH, China dispute begin BY PATERNO ESMAQUEL II POSTED ON 07/16/2013 2:50 PM | UPDATED 07/17/2013 1:59 PM 22 Comments 94

MANILA, Philippines – Despite opposition from Beijing, the designated arbitral tribunal has begun to hear the Philippines’ unprecedented case against China over the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea).

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and the Office of the Solicitor General (OSG) jointly made this announcement Tuesday, July 16, days after another heated exchange between the Philippines and China.

The tribunal “was formally constituted and held its first meeting on July 11 at the Hague, the Netherlands,” DFA spokesman Raul Hernandez said in a press briefing.

“The arbitral proceedings are now officially under way,” Hernandez added.

China, however, has repeatedly rejected the proceedings initiated by the Philippines under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).

Hernandez said the process will continue despite this, as the tribunal consults both parties "in every step of the way."

Will the Philippines win the case by default, given that China snubs it? Hernandez replied that the case "will be heard on its merits," and added the Philippines has a "big advantage"

"We brought this case because we feel that we have a big advantage considering the provisions of international law, particularly UNCLOS, and it has always been our position that the 9-dash line claim of China has been expansive, excessive, and illegal as far as international law is concerned," Hernandez said.

The battleground

For the next few months, or even years, the battleground in this case is in the Hague, the Netherlands.

Hernandez said the president and members of the tribunal have chosen this "as the seat of the arbitration and the permanent court of arbitration as the registry for the proceedings."

He said the Philippines “consented to both.” He added that the tribunal asked both parties for comments by August 5, and requested them to propose a schedule for their written pleadings.

“The Philippine government is pleased that the arbitral tribunal is now formally constituted, and that the arbitration process has begun. The department and the OSG have pledged their fullest cooperation with the tribunal, in order to assure a fair, impartial, and efficient process that produces a final and binding judgment in conformity with international law,” the DFA said.

The International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS) has named a topnotch maritime judge as president of the arbitral tribunal in the Philippines' case against China. Thomas Mensah, an 81-year-old judge from Ghana and the first ITLOS head, presides over the 5-member arbitral tribunal.

The West Philippine Sea dispute heated up again in the past few days, after the Chinese Foreign Ministry said the Philippines lied in Belgium about their territorial row.

On Monday, July 15, Hernandez presented 8 facts to belie the statement made by Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hua Chunying last Friday, July 12.

The Philppines, among other members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), has sought to peacefully resolve its territorial row with China. It is, for instance, part of upcoming meetings with China so “that we can have a discussion on a way forward,” Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario said.

Del Rosario has also invited Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi to visit the Philippines despite reportedly “testy exchanges” between them at a recent ASEAN meeting. – Rappler.com

FROM PHILSTAR

China rejects US criticism on South China Sea (Associated Press) | Updated February 10, 2014 - 8:02am 0 0 googleplus0 0

BEIJING — China rejected U.S. allegations that it is using vague territorial claims to gradually assert control in the disputed South China Sea, and in turn accused Washington of exaggerating tensions in the region.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei urged the U.S. to take a "rational and fair attitude," and reiterated China's position that its claims are based on history and international law. In a statement Saturday, Hong said that some U.S. officials' remarks were not constructive, and "playing up tensions" was not conducive to maintaining peace and stability.

The United States said Wednesday that actions by China have raised concerns it is trying to assert control over an area covering roughly 80 percent of the South China Sea despite the objections of its neighbors.

The resource-rich waters are dotted with reefs and islands subject to multiple disputes involving China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan.

Daniel Russel, the top U.S. diplomat for East Asia, described in congressional testimony actions by China that are raising tensions, including restricting access to a contested reef and imposing fishing regulations in disputed waters.

He also said that an agreement between China and Southeast Asia's regional bloc on a code of conduct to regulate behavior in the South China Sea is long overdue. China has been reluctant to negotiate with the group as a whole, preferring to deal with nations bilaterally.

Hong said China has been committed to resolving maritime disputes with "directly concerned parties" and attaches great importance to implementing a code of conduct with members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2014 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE