CASE OF TEENAGER WITH MEASLES BUFFLES DOCTORS

The 19-year-old man was having difficulty breathing, feeling very weak and had high fever and rashes on his body when he was admitted last week to the Saint Luke’s Medical Center in Quezon City last week. The teenager had the classic symptoms of measles. But what puzzled doctors was that the patient had had complete measles shots as child. He also comes from a middle- class neighborhood, not from a slum from where most measles cases have been reported. The patient was discharged on Saturday, but the doctors at Saint Luke’s are interested enough to research on the case further. Measles outbreak declared in Olongapo City; 80 cases recorded.

ALSO: A day to unite nation in prayer

Key personalities from politics, business, civil society and religious groups are expected to attend the National Day of Prayer on Monday called by President Benigno Aquino 3rd at Malacañang. In an interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said even leaders of the opposition such as Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada were invited to the event, but he could not they are attending. “All the country’s leaders are invited . . . The mayors of Metro Manila are all invited too, those who helped their counterparts in Eastern Visayas,” he said. “With the President are the representatives of all affected communities damaged by the Zamboanga standoff, Bohol earthquake, and Typhoon Yolanda . . . Also invited to attend the occasion are the leaders and members of Congress, the government, civil society and those from various faiths” Coloma added. At exactly 5 p.m., the President will lead the entire country in prayer. He will be joined by Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle, Police Supt. Imam Ebra Moxsir of the Imam Council of the Philippines, Commissioner Zenaida Pawid of the National Commission of Indigenous Peoples, Isaias Samson of Iglesia ni Cristo, and representatives of the Philippine Council of Evangelical Churches.

ALSO: Solons blast PNoy over appeal to US; Score lack of rehab plan, inability to use funds

THE Aquino administration is pressing Washington to make a long-term commitment to help in the reconstruction and rehabilitation of areas damaged by super typhoon Yolanda, but critics say the move is unnecessary because the problem is not the lack of foreign aid but the government’s inability to use it.  “The problem really is the implementation of rehabilitation by the national government. Foreign aid is not a problem,” said United Nationalist Alliance secretary general and Navotas Rep. Tobias Tiangco. Senator Gregorio Honasan II also criticized the government for having no long-term plan. “We can only ask for long-term commitment from donors if we have a long-term rehabilitation plan,” Honasan said.


READ FULL MEDIA REPORTS:

Case of teenager with measles baffles doctors


City health officials have declared a measles outbreak in Olongapo City on Thursday as the number of patients infected by the viral disease continues to rise in the area. Health officials have recorded at least 80 confirmed cases of measles, mostly children, a report on GMA News TV's Balitanghali said. Meanwhile, Dr. Jesse Manuel, hospital administrator of James Gordon Memorial Hospital, said a person with cerebral palsy has died due to the highly-contagious disease, the report said. Patients have been placed in an isolated area to prevent the spread of the disease, it added.

MANILA, JANUARY 20, 2014 (MANILA TIMES) by Rose de la Cruz - The 19-year-old man was having difficulty breathing, feeling very weak and had high fever and rashes on his body when he was admitted last week to the Saint Luke’s Medical Center in Quezon City last week.

The teenager had the classic symptoms of measles. But what puzzled doctors was that the patient had had complete measles shots as child. He also comes from a middle- class neighborhood, not from a slum from where most measles cases have been reported.

The patient was discharged on Saturday, but the doctors at Saint Luke’s are interested enough to research on the case further.

They are looking at two possibilities: 1) the vaccines he was given had weaned because of his declining body resistance, or 2) the disease has mutated into a stronger strain.

While the doctors are studying case of the teenager, they shared with The Manila Times some facts about measles:

Measles (particularly in adults, a very uncommon thing) have telltale signs like sore throat, fever and dot-like, dull looking rashes in the face, arms and legs.

Measles commonly affects children under 18 years old during summer, and the medical community is at a loss explaining the current outbreak in Metro Manila.

Though preventable through vaccines, measles especially in adults can be fatal once viral pneumonia and complications set in.

Train riders must always wear face masks and wash hands thoroughly with soap and water or through liquid hand washes/alcohol, since trains are usually packed with all kinds of viruses, bacteria and other disease-causing agents. (Better yet take a non-airconditioned bus where air flows freely).

So far, no epidemic has been reported in Quezon City, the doctors said that because measles is highly contagious, it could spread in the city if residents do not take precautions.

Though measles is not as fatal and life-threatening as dengue (a mosquito-borne affliction that is highly contagious and which used to be seasonal peaking on summer and after the rainy season but had in recent years become year-round) or leptospirosis (that peaks in June and September) ignoring its early signs can cause it to eventually attack the brain.

Wikipedia lists the symptoms of measles as four-day fevers (4Ds) and three Cs (cough, coryza or head cold and conjunctivitis or red eyes, along with fever, anorexia and rashes.

The fever may reach up to 40 degrees and Koplik’s spots may appear inside the mouth, but the spots are not often seen in real cases of measles because they are transient and may disappear within a day.

The measles rash starts on the back of the ears. After a few hours it spreads to the head and neck before covering most of the body, often causing itching.

The rash appears two to four days after the initial symptoms and lasts for up to eight days. The rash is said to “stain” changing color from red to dark brown, before disappearing.

Complications from measles range from diarrhea to pneumonia, otitis, acute encephalitis (and very rarely SSPE or subacute sclerosing panencephalitis) and corneal ulceration (leading to corneal scarring).

Complications are usually more severe in adults. In the 1920s around 30 percent of the people who contracted measles pneumonia died.

Between 1987 and 2000, in underdeveloped nations with high rates of malnutrition and poor healthcare, fatality rates have been as high as 28 percent. In immuno-compromised patients (e.g. people with AIDS) the fatality rate is approximately 30 percent.

The known risk factors for severe measles and its complications include malnutrition, underlying immune-deficiency, pregnancy and vitamin A deficiency.

A day to unite nation in prayer January 19, 2014 10:07 pm by Joel M. Sy Egco Senior Reporter


After the nation survived a year of calamities and other challenges, President Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III appeals to all Filipinos to join the National Prayer day on January 20, which he had credited for the resiliency of disaster victims.

Key personalities from politics, business, civil society and religious groups are expected to attend the National Day of Prayer on Monday called by President Benigno Aquino 3rd at Malacañang.

In an interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said even leaders of the opposition such as Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada were invited to the event, but he could not they are attending.
“All the country’s leaders are invited . . . The mayors of Metro Manila are all invited too, those who helped their counterparts in Eastern Visayas,” he said.

“With the President are the representatives of all affected communities damaged by the Zamboanga standoff, Bohol earthquake, and Typhoon Yolanda . . . Also invited to attend the occasion are the leaders and members of Congress, the government, civil society and those from various faiths” Coloma added.

At exactly 5 p.m., the President will lead the entire country in prayer. He will be joined by Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle, Police Supt. Imam Ebra Moxsir of the Imam Council of the Philippines, Commissioner Zenaida Pawid of the National Commission of Indigenous Peoples, Isaias Samson of Iglesia ni Cristo, and representatives of the Philippine Council of Evangelical Churches.

“We invite everyone to be one with the President and the nation in prayer wherever they maybe, at home, in the community, offices, places of work, church or places of worship,” Coloma stressed.

He said that the event will be aired live by all government networks, while the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas (KBP) has issued a circular to its members to cover the event.

“But the delivery of coverage would be clearly optional and voluntary on their [KBP members] part,” Coloma said.

Dubbed “One Nation, One Prayer,” the event aims to “commemorate the lives that were lost in recent calamities, to thank God for granting the country strength and to ask for guidance for a better future.”

FROM MANILA STANDARD

Solons blast PNoy over appeal to US By Joyce Pangco Panares | Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:01am

Score lack of rehab plan, inability to use funds

THE Aquino administration is pressing Washington to make a long-term commitment to help in the reconstruction and rehabilitation of areas damaged by super typhoon Yolanda, but critics say the move is unnecessary because the problem is not the lack of foreign aid but the government’s inability to use it.

“The problem really is the implementation of rehabilitation by the national government. Foreign aid is not a problem,” said United Nationalist Alliance secretary general and Navotas Rep. Tobias Tiangco.

Senator Gregorio Honasan II also criticized the government for having no long-term plan.

“We can only ask for long-term commitment from donors if we have a long-term rehabilitation plan,” Honasan said.

Apart from this plan, there’s a need to put in place a sound foreign policy, said Honsanan, a member of the opposition.

“Economic security must go side by side with land, and water use plans,” he said.

Honasan made the comment after Ambassador to the United States Jose Cuisia Jr. expressed hope that the US long-term commitment would be achieved during the visit of US Senator Marco Rubio to Manila this week.

Rubio is a ranking member of the subcommittee on East Asian and Pacific Affairs of the Senate foreign relations committee.

“We hope the visit of Senator Marco Rubio will further convince Washington to commit to a long-term involvement in the rehabilitation of areas devastated by typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan),” Cuisia said.

Rubio will be received by President Benigno Aquino III on Wednesday as part of a week-long Asian swing that includes stops in Japan and Korea.

The US lawmaker, who will also meet with Foreign Secretary Albert Del Rosario and Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, is expected to visit Tacloban City.

Cuisia said Rubio’s visit will focus on defense and economic cooperation and regional issues as well as to find out how US assistance related to super typhoon Yolanda is being used.

“We are hoping that Senator Rubio will be one of the advocates for a long-term US commitment in the reconstruction of Haiyan devastated communities in the Philippines,” Cuisia said.

“A huge challenge remains and the Philippines is preparing seriously for the reconstruction of affected communities. The Philippines is therefore turning again to the international community, especially the

US, in seeking official development assistance to support reconstruction efforts,” the Philippine ambassador to Washington added.

Cuisia told Rubio that the Philippines would also like to see an expansion of the US Southeast Asian pivot policy in terms of economic ties.

Earlier, the government’s Foreign Aid Trasparency Hub or FAiTH website showed that only about 21 percent or P592.5 million out of the P2.8 billion cash pledge from foreign donors have been remitted to the Philippines.

Budget Secretary Florencio Abad said there was a “big disparity” beween what foreign donors said at the height of the relief operations after super typhoon Yolanda struck and what they are delivering now by way of cash.

“I think many of them made those statements so that they can actually influence (those) back home because you have to show the situation here,” Abad said.

Of the P23.79 billion pledged by local donors, P20.9 billion were in kind while P2.8 were in cash.

“Knowing the fiscal process, it is also possible that most of their (foreign donors’) funds have already been committed since the calamity happened during the latter part of the year,” he said.

“A lot of the fund raising would have to be done at the start of this year, when new funds are available. So that may likely explain the huge disparity between what we read in the papers during the height of the relief operations, versus what is now appearing in the Faith website,” Abad added.

Abad earlier asked Cabinet members to identify projects that can be deferred so that the budget can be re-aligned for reconstruction.

The 2014 budget only included the following funds for the rehabilitation and reconstruction efforts in areas hit by recent calamities: P13 billion calamity fund, up from last year’s P7.5 billion; P20 billion rehabilitation construction program; and P80 billion for construction projects under the unprogrammed fund. With Macon Ramos-Araneta


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2014 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE