DOH: MEASLES CASES IN CENTRAL LUZON UP

PAMPANGA - The Department of Health (DOH) has reported a 112 percent increase in measles cases in Central Luzon last year. DOH Expanded Program on Immunization head Lailani Mangulabnan yesterday said field reports showed that there were 432 cases last year or a more than 100-percent increase compared to the 204 cases reported in 2012. The measles patients came from Pampanga, Bulacan, Nueva Ecija, Tarlac and Zambales. DOH Central Luzon director Leonita Gorgolon attributed the increase of cases to the low coverage of immunization in the region.

ALSO: BFAR probes whale shark’s death in Cagayan

TUGUEGARAO- The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) is investigating the cause of death of a butanding (whale shark) that washed ashore in the Port of San Vicente in Sta. Ana, Cagayan last Sunday. BFAR regional director Jovita Ayson confirmed to The STAR that the dead creature was a whale shark. She said the 22-foot long shark that belongs to the Rhincodontidae family was too weak to return to the open sea but residents tried to push the heavy animal to deeper waters. She said the whale shark had no sign of external injuries but was apparently dying when it washed ashore.

ALSO: More Pinoys rate themselves poor in 2013 – SWS survey

More than half of Filipinos claimed being poor or “food poor” in the last quarter of 2013, according to the latest Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey. The poll, conducted from Dec. 11 to 16, found 55 percent of Filipino adults – about 11.8 million households – consider themselves poor, up from 50 percent (equivalent to 10.8 million households) in September. The survey results were published in the newspaper BusinessWorld yesterday. The poll also showed 41 percent or an estimated 8.8 million households claiming to be poor in terms of food, higher by four points from 37 percent in September. “Both self-rated poverty and self-rated food poverty rose from the previous quarter, and are above their four-quarter averages for 2013,” it said. Increases in both self-rated poverty and food poverty were reported in all areas except in Mindanao, the SWS said.


READ FULL MEDIA REPORTS:

Measles cases in Central Luzon up

SAN FERNANDO, PAMPANGA, JANUARY 6, 2014 (PHILSTAR) By Ding Cervantes – The Department of Health (DOH) has reported a 112 percent increase in measles cases in Central Luzon last year.

DOH Expanded Program on Immunization head Lailani Mangulabnan yesterday said field reports showed that there were 432 cases last year or a more than 100-percent increase compared to the 204 cases reported in 2012.

The measles patients came from Pampanga, Bulacan, Nueva Ecija, Tarlac and Zambales.

DOH Central Luzon director Leonita Gorgolon attributed the increase of cases to the low coverage of immunization in the region.

She also clarified that there is no measles outbreak in the region and that there was no cause for alarm, even as she noted that cases in Metro Manila were even higher.

“Our surveillance report shows that no fatalities were recorded to date. So it is safe to say that here in the region, we have contained the disease,” Gorgolon stressed.

Measles is a highly infectious and communicable disease caused by a virus.

Symptoms include high fever, cough, conjunctivitis and colds. If not properly managed, it can lead to complications such as blindness, encephalitis, pneumonia, diarrhea and even death.

Anna Ma. Teresa de Guzman, provincial health officer of Pangasinan, advised residents to avoid crowded places like shopping malls amid concerns over the spread of measles.

She said there were 26 measles cases in the province last year.

De Guzman said most of the patients were from Rosales town, followed by Mabini, Lingayen, San Nicolas, San Quintin, Alaminos, Natividad, Mangatarem, Bolinao, and San Carlos City.

In Metro Manila, the Taguig City government through the city health office yesterday launched a more aggressive and free immunization drive against measles.

Mayor Lani Cayetano said the immunization campaign targets infants and schoolchildren in the city’s elementary and high schools, as well as adults who have not completed their immunization.

“We are bringing our health services closer to our constituents, and I want to encourage parents and those who have not received their complete vaccination yet to avail of this service,” Mayor Cayetano said.

Taguig City health officer-in-charge Isaias Ramos said the immunization drive will prioritize barangays where measles caes have been confirmed, especially the barangays of Lower and Western Bicutan. – With Eva Visperas, Mike Frialde

BFAR probes whale shark’s death in Cagayan By Raymund Catindig (The Philippine Star) | Updated January 14, 2014 - 12:00am 10 20 googleplus0 0

TUGUEGARAO CITY , Philippines – The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) is investigating the cause of death of a butanding (whale shark) that washed ashore in the Port of San Vicente in Sta. Ana, Cagayan last Sunday.

BFAR regional director Jovita Ayson confirmed to The STAR that the dead creature was a whale shark.

She said the 22-foot long shark that belongs to the Rhincodontidae family was too weak to return to the open sea but residents tried to push the heavy animal to deeper waters.

She said the whale shark had no sign of external injuries but was apparently dying when it washed ashore.

Ayson said she has sought for a fish pathologist to determine the cause of death of the creature before authorities bury the dead fish.

Sta. Ana police chief Senior Inspector Darwin Urdani said a Navy sailor had earlier spotted the whale shark on the beach.

It was the first time residents in the town have seen a real whale shark.

Whale sharks have become a tourist attraction in Oslob, Cebu and Donsol, Sorsogon where there are many sightings.

The government has banned the slaughter, catching, selling, importation, and export of the fish since 1998.

More Pinoys rate themselves poor in 2013 – SWS survey By Helen Flores (The Philippine Star) | Updated January 14, 2014 - 12:00am 0 4 googleplus0 0

MANILA, Philippines - More than half of Filipinos claimed being poor or “food poor” in the last quarter of 2013, according to the latest Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey.

The poll, conducted from Dec. 11 to 16, found 55 percent of Filipino adults – about 11.8 million households – consider themselves poor, up from 50 percent (equivalent to 10.8 million households) in September.

The survey results were published in the newspaper BusinessWorld yesterday.

The poll also showed 41 percent or an estimated 8.8 million households claiming to be poor in terms of food, higher by four points from 37 percent in September.

“Both self-rated poverty and self-rated food poverty rose from the previous quarter, and are above their four-quarter averages for 2013,” it said. Increases in both self-rated poverty and food poverty were reported in all areas except in Mindanao, the SWS said.

Poverty incidence rose by two points to 46 percent in Metro Manila, eight points in the rest of Luzon to 50 percent, and six points in the Visayas to 68 percent. It decreased by two points to 59 percent in Mindanao.

Self-rated food poverty, meanwhile, rose by three points in Metro Manila to 32 percent, and six points in both the Visayas (to 52 percent) and the rest of Luzon (to 36 percent).

Self-rated poverty, on the other hand, stayed at 47 percent in Mindanao.

The survey also said “poor families have been lowering their living standards, i.e., belt-tightening.”

The SWS fourth quarter poll used face-to-face interviews with 1,550 adult Filipinos nationwide.

The survey was conducted after two deadly natural disasters – the magnitude-7.2 earthquake in Bohol and Cebu and the Super Typhoon Yolanda in Eastern Visayas – struck the country in October and November.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2014 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE