NOY'S RATING DROPS IN PALACE SURVEY / 'EXECUTIVE OFFICES' BIGGEST PORK INCREASE
MANILA, OCTOBER 29, 2013 (PHILSTAR) By Delon Porcalla - President Aquino’s approval rating hit a record low amid the pork barrel scandal, a Malacañang survey showed.
According to data gathered by The STAR, a survey commissioned by the Office of Political Affairs this month showed the President’s rating down to 35 percent. The survey had 1,000 respondents.
The STAR tried to contact Presidential Adviser on Political Affairs Ronald Llamas for confirmation but was told that he is in Europe until this week.
Aquino’s rating suffered a 44-percent drop compared to the 79 percent he got in the Pulse Asia survey conducted from Sept. 14 to 27.
It was also a decrease of 14 percent compared to his +49 percent rating in the Sept. 20 to 23 Social Weather Stations survey.
Vice President Jejomar Binay’s approval rating also declined but remains high compared with the President.
From 77 percent in the Pulse Asia survey Binay got +57 percent in the Palace-commissioned survey.
Justice Secretary Leila de Lima got +38 percent.
Only the President, Binay and De Lima among government officials obtained positive ratings.
Zero, negative ratings
The survey also showed that Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. got zero while Senate President Franklin Drilon obtained a -14 percent approval rating.
Senators Jinggoy Estrada got -14 percent; Ramon Revilla Jr., -15 percent; and Juan Ponce Enrile, -21 percent. The three are facing plunder charges along with 34 others, in connection with the P10-billion pork barrel scandal.
Budget Secretary Florencio Abad and presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda got -20 percent and -16 percent, respectively.
Former President and now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo got -69 percent.
Amid 'pork' scam, Aquino admin's rating on fighting corruption drops By Louis Bacani (philstar.com) | Updated October 29, 2013 - 2:12pm 15 39 googleplus0 0
MANILA, Philippines - The Aquino administration failed to impress Filipinos by its efforts to address eight of 10 national issues with its grade on fighting government corruption falling by 12 percentage points, according to the latest survey of Pulse Asia.
The results of the survey, which was conducted from September 14 to 27, showed that the Aquino administration was able to obtain majority approval scores only on the issues of criminality (60 percent) and rule of law (54 percent).
But the ratings on both issues were a bit lower than those recorded in the same survey last March.
The Aquino administration's approval rating on fighting graft and corruption in the government also dropped from 59 percent to 47 percent.
"Amidst the PDAF controversy, appreciation for the Aquino administration's anti-corruption initiatives eases between March and September 2013 (-12 percentage points)," the Pulse Asia survey said.
The ratings of the administration on all other issues, except reducing poverty, also slipped:
The Pulse Asia survey also noted that fighting corruption in government (48 percent) was the most urgent national concern cited by Filipinos.
The survey said Filipinos' level of concern regarding corruption and peace in the country increased between June and September (+17 and +7 percentage points, respectively) amid the controversy on the alleged pork barrel scam and the Zamboanga City standoff last month.
"Filipinos are most concerned about corruption, inflation, low pay of workers, and employment; public concern as regards peace and corruption becomes more pronounced between June and September 2013," the survey said.
It also showed that Filipinos are least concerned about rapid population growth (11 percent).
The 10 national concerns included in the survey were:
The Pulse Asia survey polled 1,200 adult Filipinos nationwide.
Earlier this month, an SWS survey showed that the net public satisfaction ratings of Aquino fell by 15 points amid the alleged multi-billion peso pork barrel scam.
Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte said the decline of Aquino's ratings reflects the citizens' anger and disappointment toward alleged misuse of public funds such as lawmakers' pork barrel funds.
"We do recognize that there is a general outrage about how these funds have been spent or how these funds have been misused. And some of that may be directed again to the present administration," Valte said.
Last week, another Pulse Asia survey also revealed that the alleged pork barrel scam pulled down the ratings of the Senate and House of Representatives.
Noy satisfaction ratings fall; Palace blames 'pork' mess By Louis Bacani (philstar.com) | Updated October 14, 2013 - 1:38pm 51 135 googleplus0 1
chart and table from sws.org.ph
MANILA, Philippines - The net public satisfaction ratings of President Benigno Aquino III fell by 15 points in a recent Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey amid the alleged multi-billion pork barrel scam.
Results of the SWS survey conducted from September 20 to 23 revealed that Aquino's net ratings declined to a "good" score of +49 from a "very good" +64 last June.
The President's satisfaction ratings dipped to 68 percent in September from 76 percent in June this year. On the other hand, the number of Filipinos dissatisfied by Aquino's performance also increased to 19 percent in September from 12 percent in June.
The SWS survey polled 1,200 adult respondents in Metro Manila, the Balance of Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao. The survey has a sampling error margins of ±3 percent for national percentages and ±6 percent for area percentages.
In a statement, Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte said they acknowledge the decline of Aquino's ratings, which she said reflects the citizens' anger and disappointment towards alleged misuse of public funds such as lawmakers pork barrel funds.
"We do recognize that there is a general outrage about how these funds have been spent or how these funds have been misused. And some of that may be directed again to the present administration," Valte said at a televised press briefing.
Headlines ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1
But the Palace official refused to answer if the recent controversy on the Aquino administration's Disbursement Acceleration Program will further affect the President's ratings.
Valte also said "numbers show" that Filipinos remain on the side of the Aquino administration in the campaign against corruption.
"We are grateful to the great majority of our countrymen who have not been swayed by the enemies of reform. We thank them for their commitment, and laud their capacity to discern. Rest assured that our pursuit of justice will continue and will in fact intensify as more evidence is gathered," Valte said in a statement.
FROM THE MANILA TIMES
‘Executive offices’ had biggest pork increase October 28, 2013 9:54 pm
by JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON REPORTER
Source: Department of Budget and Management (“National Expenditure Program” for indicated years, from 2008 to 2014)
Several government agencies lumped under “Other Executive Offices” enjoyed the biggest increase in the allocation of Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) from 2011 to 2012.
In its 2012 Annual Financial Report, the Commission on Audit (COA) said the “Other Executive Offices” received a record 113.25-percent rise in PDAF allocations.
COA did not name the “offices,” which received P756.39 million in 2012, substantially bigger than the P324.28 million allocated in 2011.
In comparison, other agencies posted two-digit increases, and the allocation of other agencies dropped.
The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) for two straight years had the biggest share of the pork barrel: P12.17 billion in 2012 compared to P11.35 billion in 2011.
In the recent audit of the commission on the pork barrel, COA Chairman Grace Pulido-Tan said the DPWH was one of the top three recipients of PDAF.
The Departments of Agriculture and Social Welfare and Development are the other two.
The Department of Budget and Management received the second biggest, P5.95 billion in 2012, a little over its P5.41 billion in 2011.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) was third with P907.28 million, up from the P681.45 million it received in 2011.
In fourth place is “Other Executive Offices” which had the biggest increase from 2011 to 2012.
Rounding the top five is “State Universities and Colleges” with P441.72 million in 2012. Interestingly, the pork barrel for state tertiary education dropped from P516.02 million in 2011.
The second biggest gainer is the Department of Education, whose allocation rose by 43.68 percent. From P63.14 million in 2011, it got P90.72 million in 2012.
Next is the DSWD, followed by the Department of Health with an 11.63-percent increase from P390.37 million in 2011 to P435.77 million in 2012. The Department of Labor and Employment was at fifth spot with 10.92-percent rise from P243.36 million to P269.95 million.
The agency whose pork suffered the biggest reduction was the Department of Trade and Industry.
Trade had a 36.01-percent drop, from P21.75 million in 2011 to P13.92 million in 2012.
The allocation for the Department of Finance was also slashed by 40.03 percent, from P716.48 million in 2011 to P429.66 million in 2012.
Although it was one of the biggest recipients of pork barrel allocations from lawmakers, the Department of Agriculture’s pork shrank by 62.61 percent, to P232.03 million in 2012 from P620.59 million in 2011.
The share of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao was slashed by 83.61 percent in 2012. It only had P5 million compared to the P30.5 million in 2011.
The Department of Environment and Natural Resources got nothing. Its P13.73-million pork share in 2011 was slashed entirely in 2012.
The audit agency said the total allotments for PDAF increased and reached P21.77 billion in 2012.
“The amount is higher by P1.35 billion or 6.62 percent over last year’s comparable amount of P20.42 billion,” COA said in its report.
Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi
© Copyright, 2013 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved
PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE