NAPOLES NOW IN CAMP CRAME / NAPOLES IS TRANSFERRED TO FORT STO. DOMINGO
Janet Lim-Napoles INQUIRER.net FILE PHOTO
MANILA, SEPTEMBER 2, 2013 (INQUIRER) By Jamie Elona - Janet Lim-Napoles, the alleged brains behind the P10-billion pork barrel scam, is now at the national headquarters of the Philippine National Police in Camp Crame, Quezon City, a PNP official said.
Police Senior Superintendent Reuben Theodore Sindac, PNP-Public Information Office chief, told INQUIRER.net in a phone interview that Napoles is undergoing booking process.
Sindac, however, added that members of the media are not allowed to enter the camp.
“Nagsimula na booking process. Nasa Crame na sya. Hindi pwedeng pumasok (The booking process has started. She’s in Crame already. No one is allowed to enter),” Sindac said.
In a radio interview, Napoles’ legal counsel, lawyer Lorna Kapunan, said her client surrendered for fear of her life.
“There are really people who want to keep her silent permanently,” Kapunan said.
“Therefore now is the right time. Ang sinasabi niya naman ay wala naman siyang tinatago,” Kapunan added.
President Aquino earlier announced a P10 million reward for information leading to Napoles’ arrest.
Kapunan said she didn’t know where Napoles came from prior to her surrender, and added that she didn’t have any communication with her client when she was still hiding.
Napoles transfer to Laguna delayed By Mike Frialde (The Philippine Star) | Updated September 1, 2013 - 12:00am 0 2 googleplus0 0
MANILA, Philippines - Businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles is not yet moving from the Makati City Jail to the Special Action Force (SAF) training school at Fort Sto. Domingo in Sta. Rosa, Laguna.
Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas, who inspected the facility at Fort Sto. Domingo yesterday, said Napoles would be transferred as soon as security enhancements to the bungalow where she would be detained are installed.
The bungalow has two bedrooms, a kitchen, water tank, two bathrooms, and a steel main gate. It is currently being used as an office and medical clinic by the SAF.
Roxas said among the security enhancements are closed circuit television (CCTV) cameras to be installed inside and at the perimeter of the bungalow. He said security grills would also be added to the windows.
Except for a refrigerator, where she can keep her medicine, Napoles would not be allowed to keep other appliances in the bungalow, which has no air conditioner. She is also denied access to a mobile phone.
The bungalow was where former President and now Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada, Moro National Liberation Front chairman Nur Misuari and Senator Gregorio Honasan had been detained.
Roxas said the security layout at Fort Sto. Domingo could better ensure Napoles’ protection compared to the Makati City Jail.
He said two perimeter gates secure the bungalow and some 300 SAF personnel would guard Napoles.
“There will be 300 SAF personnel and there is no other detainee here,” Roxas said.
“We will add more personnel. Whatever is the security package at Makati City Jail, we will bring them here,” he added.
Roxas said family members, lawyers and doctors of Napoles could only visit her at Fort Sto. Domingo.
Not taking chances
Roxas said the government is not giving Napoles any special treatment.
He said the government is just not taking chances, considering the public outrage amid allegations that she was the operator of the P10-billion congressional pork barrel scam.
“The preservation of her life is not because she is a VIP but we want her to face the judicial process,” he said.
Roxas said Fort Sto. Domingo also has sufficient medical personnel to aid Napoles in a medical emergency.
Malacañang also defended the participation of Cabinet officials in Napoles’ transfer to police custody.
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said it was not the first time Cabinet members were asked to handle such tasks, adding that the government was merely ensuring the safety of Napoles.
“It is clear to us that this person is a key player from all accounts in this PDAF (priority development assistance fund) scam. It is also easy to surmise why she is facing threats to her life,” Valte told radio dzRB.
“The government wants to ensure that this woman would be reached by the arms of the law because she surrendered and the process should start,” she added.
Asked why Roxas was tapped to inspect the room at Fort Sto. Domingo where Napoles will be detained, Valte said, “President Aquino personally issued an instruction to Secretary Roxas and PNP (Philippine National Police) chief Director-General Alan Purisima.”
“The two officials are just making sure that they are carrying out the President’s instructions,” she said.
She cited the explosions in Serendra, San Juan, and Cagayan de Oro and natural calamities, when certain Cabinet officials were also ordered to be in control.
Valte also justified the presence of the President’s communication team – presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda, Presidential Communications Development and Strategic Planning Secretary Ricky Carandang and herself – during the transfer of Napoles to Makati City Jail last Thursday.
“We were there to handle media concerns,” she said. “Secretary Roxas asked us to assist him and we did not hesitate. We assist any Cabinet member who asks for our help.”
Valte said the communication team members were also on site during the Luneta hostage crisis and the Ayala bus explosion.
Key officials were also present when Napoles surrendered to Aquino last Wednesday. They were Lacierda, Carandang, Valte, Roxas, Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa Jr., Secretary to the Cabinet Rene Almendras and Communication Undersecretary Manolo Quezon.
ESTRADA WAS HERE This bungalow inside the Fort Sto. Domingo training camp for police special forces in Sta. Rosa, Laguna, awaits its latest occupant, Janet Lim-Napoles, after playing host to previous detainees like former President Joseph Estrada, former Moro National Liberation Front chair Nur Misuari and Sen. Gringo Honasan, Fort Sto. Domingo. CERES DOYO
Meanwhile, Roxas said protesters are welcome at Fort Sto. Domingo, but they would only be allowed at the camp’s first perimeter gate.
“We welcome them. Protest marches are in the center of our democracy. There is nothing wrong with that,” he said.
Members of the Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption (VACC) staged a picket at the Makati City Jail yesterday to denounce what they described as the “royal treatment” Napoles is getting from the government.
The VACC also called on Congress to repeal Presidential Decree 749, which grants “immunity from prosecution to givers of bribes and other gifts and to their accomplices in bribery against public officers.”
“A briber can be exempted from prosecution and can go scot-free if he willingly testifies against the public officials who receive the bribe under certain conditions (as in the case of senators and congressmen) using the cloak of PD 749. He may tell on his partners in crime and be exempted from prosecution and possible conviction,” the VACC said in a statement.
VACC chairman Dante Jimenez said the alleged special treatment being given to Napoles is a “mockery of justice.”
A number of Negros Occidental officials hailed the surrender of Napoles, and expressed hope that the truth about the pork barrel scam would come out.
Fourth district Rep. Jeffrey Ferrer said the long arm of the law would eventually catch up with wrongdoers and it is better for Napoles to face her accusers.
Third district Rep. Alfredo Benitez said the truth should come out also to reform the system aside from punishing those found guilty.
“Napoles surrendered on the charge of serious illegal detention. What the Filipino people would like to see is the government taking her to court for plunder,” Negros Occidental Vice Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson said. – With Alexis Romero, Danny Dangcalan
Erap recalls ‘depressing’ experience at Fort Sto. Domingo By Jose Rodel Clapano (The Philippine Star) | Updated September 1, 2013 - 12:00am 0 0 googleplus0 0
MANILA, Philippines - The first three months there had been the most depressing experience of my life.
Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada shared this yesterday, describing his three months of detention in Fort Sto. Domingo in Sta. Rosa, Laguna shortly after his arrest on charges of plunder before the Sandiganbayan.
Estrada, who was ousted from the presidency in 2001, said he felt the whole world dropped on him for having been denied almost every amenity while in detention at Fort Sto. Domingo.
“It’s very far. Even the food is subjected to thorough checking. My detention cell is also surrounded with barbed wire. There was also no curtain, there was no air conditioning, cellphones were not allowed. The restrictions are very much depressing,” Estrada said.
The former president considered his detention in Fort Sto. Domingo as the “darkest period” of his life.
Fort Sto. Domingo is the training ground of the elite police Special Action Force. This is where Estrada and former Moro National Liberation Front founding chairman Nur Misuari were detained.
Businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles, at the center of controversy over the P10-billion pork barrel fund scam, was ordered by the court to be detained in the facility.
“I’ve been a movie superstar, mayor, senator, vice president until I became president. I’ve been there for three months. I suffered from mental torture. I cannot easily see my children, my wife, my grandchildren while my mother is still in the hospital then. I was really very depressed,” Estrada said.
Estrada said his only consolation during his months in detention was he learned to pray alone.
“There was solemnity. I even asked the Lord during my prayers why it happened to me and why I was subjected to such an ordeal. I told him that soon I will be vindicated,” Estrada said.
Napoles transferred to Fort Sto. Domingo (philstar.com) | Updated September 1, 2013 - 11:19am 1 163 googleplus3 1
Businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles, alleged mastermind of the P10-billion pork barrel scam, being interviewed by a police officer inside her detention room in Fort Sto. Domingo in Sta. Rosa, Laguna. She is facing a non-bailable charge of serious illegal detention filed against her by her relative and former employee Benhur Luy. PNP Photo
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine National Police (PNP) transferred suspected pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Lim-Napoles to its elite force's camp in Fort Sto. Domingo, Sta. Rosa, Laguna early Sunday.
"I confirm Napoles' transfer from Makati City Jail to Sta. Rosa, Laguna," PNP spokesman Senior Superintendent Ruben Theodore Sindac announced.
Sindac said Napoles was fetched from the Makati City Jail (MCJ) at around 5 a.m. and arrived at the police camp shortly after 6 a.m.
He added that MCJ acting warden Chief Inspector Fermin Enriquez turned over Napoles to Superintendent Francis Allan Reglos, commandant of the PNP-Special Action Force (SAF) School at the camp at around 6:30 a.m.
Judge Elmo Alameda of the Makati City Regional Trial Court Branch 150 ordered Napoles' transfer from the MCJ to the police camp on Friday afternoon.
Napoles, through her lawyer Lorna Kapunan, petitioned the court to transfer her from the MCJ to any other detention facility because she does not feel safe there.
During the petition's hearing, Enriquez said he could not guarantee the safety of the businesswoman tagged as the mastermind in the P10 billion pork barrel scam that involves former and sitting members of Congress, including senators.
Napoles surrendered to President Benigno Aquino III at Malacanang on Wednesday night and was immediately brought to the PNP national headquarters in Camp Crame, where she spent the night before her transfer to the MCJ.
She was ordered arrested by Alameda based on the serious illegal detention case filed against her and her brother Reynald Lim by their former employee and relative Benhur Luy, also the whistleblower of the pork barrel scam.
Lim remains at-large. Several tracker teams have been deployed around the country to hunt him down. The government has also offered a P5-million reward for information on his whereabouts.
Sindac said that tighter security is now being implemented around Fort Sto. Domingo. He said several SAF personnel have been deployed at the camp's perimeter and near the detention room of Napoles.
Before the actual transfer, PNP chief Director General Alan Purisima arrived at the MCJ shortly after 4 a.m. and left at around 5 a.m.
Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas told reporters at Fort Sto. Domingo on Saturday that they could not immediately transfer Napoles to the police camp because the security features of her detention room needs to be enhanced.
Several high-profile detainees were also brought to Fort Sto. Domingo, including former President Joseph Estrada, former ARMM governor Nur Misuari, and Senators Gringo Honasan and Jinggoy Estrada.
FROM THE MANILA TIMES
Members of the Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption (VACC) stage a rally in front of the Makati City Jail on Saturday to protest the special treatment being accorded to Janet Lin Napoles. Photo By Mike De Juan
No TV set, cellphone for Napoles August 31, 2013 9:35 pm by Anthony Vargas Correspondent And Llanesca T. Panti Reporter
JANET Lim Napoles will surely miss her luxurious mansions when she is finally moved to Fort Santo Domingo in Sta. Rosa, Laguna.
The house that she will occupy has only two rooms and the barest amenities. There is no television set or air conditioning system.
The only appliances that had been allowed are a refrigerator where Napoles can put her medicines, and an electric fan to keep her cool on hot days. She also cannot listen to the radio because it is banned.
The businesswoman is also not allowed to use a cellphone, laptop or any other gadget. Interior and Local Government Secretary Manuel “Mar” Roxas and Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Alan Purisima on Saturday inspected the Laguna facility where Napoles will be detained.
Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi
© Copyright, 2013 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved
PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE